Best Audiophile Headphone Below 7k

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
hello tkin !

try contacting 'theironhorse' and/or 'blasto' on HFV if you may. grado sr80i could've been a good option, but i personally have an aversion for over-the-ear design ;)

M50 is retailing for 7450/- on hifimart

but whatever said, i cant agree more with you and others above - settle for some good stereo or 2.1 speakers :D

even am on the hunt for a good HP, and had decided upon the M50, but now find myself stumbling after peeking in this thread :-?
Thanks dude, you are my hero.

I have my eyes set on Corsair SP2500 which I plan to buy later this year, I just realized buying the Z623 won't cut it, I can't buy the SP2500 atm but saving up for it.

Onward to M50, one question, how reliable is hifi mart? Truth be told. F* it, shop needs form 50, why gawd why?

Sorry for the really late reply, someone has to write the magazine you know... :D

@Tkin
If I'm absolutely honest, I don't know what I would take for Rs.7k.

Spending 8k now on a set of headphones and then 11k later for another set later seems to be a waste. That is 19k that could have been spent on something brilliant instead of 2 average sets.

As Red Dragon and some others mentioned, don't go by the hype. The M50s are just too expensive for the quality on offer.

Also, don't dismiss the portapros because they're "portable". There is a reason why the design hasn't changed in decades and they might actually sound better than the M50.

Logitech Z623,
We did review these some months back,
Earth-shattering bass and loud. You'll like them if all you're going to do is watch movies and play games.

Music sounds decent but the set is too "screechy" when it comes to voices and the bass is not detailed.

I've heard that the Altec Lansing MX6021 is better in the same price range, but I never personally got the chance to check them out.

Either set is a good buy at that price.
623 is good, but as I said on top, I'm planning for the SP2500, since M50 is available, I'll probably order tonight :D :)

From what I can gather from review MX5021 was a legend, MX6021, not so.

^Isn't MX6021 discontinued? :|
That was MX5021, MX6021 is the replacement model and does not live up to the expectation.

Last edited:

red dragon

Master troll
I am originally from kolkata, and will be returning by the end of March/early April.
Drop a pm, will be glad to lend you D1100, SM3, IE8, hd25 and couple of Grados(yet to arrive) for audition.
You may not be aware, but Kolkata does have a good number of audiophiles.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Damn it, Hifivision needs form 50, back to square one.

I am originally from kolkata, and will be returning by the end of March/early April.
Drop a pm, will be glad to lend you D1100, SM3, IE8, hd25 and couple of Grados(yet to arrive) for audition.
You may not be aware, but Kolkata does have a good number of audiophiles.
Thanks, really appreciate it, what I am interested are Grado SR80i, HD558 and D1100(apart from M50 and AD700), say, from where do you guys get these?

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@ tkin - what if i could get it from them and then ship it to you ? does that require any sort of formalities to be completed, for shipping to WB ?

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
@ tkin - what if i could get it from them and then ship it to you ? does that require any sort of formalities to be completed, for shipping to WB ?
Not sure, usually when I buy stuff from ebay or flipkart they don't need form 50, some sellers mark item as "For Replacement," some don't do anything, high end shippers like Blue dart needs form 50 for "Commercial" shipments, so you probably won't need any forms as long as you mark item as for personal use and mark value as say 200/-

Blue Dart site says this:
NOTE 1 : PERSONAL SHIPMENTS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY CAN TRAVEL ON PRINTED DECLARATION WITH CONSIGNEE/SHIPPERS COMPLETE ADDRESS ALONG WITH CONTACT NO OF CONSIGNEE, IDENTIFICATION PROOF WILL GIVE MORE GENUINESS OF SHIPMENT AND WILL HELP IN FASTER CLEARANCE.
Bluedart Express ltd: Regulatory

Thanks for the offer, if anyone can shed any lights on it, it would be great, specially if someone had shipped anything to WB before.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
complying with blue dart's 'personal use' shipment regulation shouldnt be a problem. i could also talk to hifimart on what could be the best course, and how would they handle the RMA issue if it arises, through me (in which case i might need to keep a copy of the bill), or through you. do let me know if you decide upon the M50.

on a side note, am started to having second thoughts on it. denon D1100 on ebay looks like a lucrative offer, and given the reviews, it could lead me yet again towards a sinful impulse-purchase :D

if you want speakers JUST for music, try circle's arko (100W) for ~7k. i might buy those. those are 2.0 speakers (microlab solo-6C rebadged here). a fellow digit member (freshseasons) has those and gave a good review of them.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
complying with blue dart's 'personal use' shipment regulation shouldnt be a problem. i could also talk to hifimart on what could be the best course, and how would they handle the RMA issue if it arises, through me (in which case i might need to keep a copy of the bill), or through you. do let me know if you decide upon the M50.

on a side note, am started to having second thoughts on it. denon D1100 on ebay looks like a lucrative offer, and given the reviews, it could lead me yet again towards a sinful impulse-purchase :D

if you want speakers JUST for music, try circle's arko (100W) for ~7k. i might buy those. those are 2.0 speakers (microlab solo-6C rebadged here). a fellow digit member (freshseasons) has those and gave a good review of them.
Bleh, D1100s are by gawd costly, why can't I find Grado SR80is anywhere?

Circle Arko? Hmm, have to go see reviews.

If hifi mart can send the M50s without waybill I'd buy in a heartbeat, but then theres the rma problem.......

Does anyone believe Pristine Note is run by a bunch of idiots? These headphones don't last more than a few weeks, so why not order more, or order as soon as stock goes half :-x

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

How many speakers will you buy? :eek:

Does anyone believe Pristine Note is run by a bunch of idiots? These headphones don't last more than a few weeks, so why not order more, or order as soon as stock goes half :-x

They have to import it from Japan, may be that's the reason its late, else who wants to ruin their own business.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
How many speakers will you buy? :eek:

They have to import it from Japan, may be that's the reason its late, else who wants to ruin their own business.
I know, but damn thing runs out of stock fast, really fast :cry:

OK, I have made up my mind, I'm ordering the M35 Tonight.

What I figure is that since I can't get a good can less of 10k(D1100) and I can't spend that much now(just bought some stuff), I'll settle for a bit less and go straight to the top, next year I'll upgrade to more expensive cans like AKG 702 all together.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I know, but damn thing runs out of stock fast, really fast :cry:

Demand :|

OK, I have made up my mind, I'm ordering the M35 Tonight.

What I figure is that since I can't get a good can less of 10k(D1100) and I can't spend that much now(just bought some stuff), I'll settle for a bit less and go straight to the top, next year I'll upgrade to more expensive cans like AKG 702 all together.

I like that :)

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Big thanks to red dragon, sarath, skywalker5555, NIGHTMARE, Krow, Faun, r4gs, aniket.cain and specially to dashing.sujoy for his help and gharmanaas for his offer to help ship from hifi.

Demand :|

I like that :)
Thanks for the help.

PS: What happened to Lynx India? The self proclaimed India's best audio store? Their forum's down, audio section has no stock of anything. RIP lynx. And don't shut the thread off, I'll order tonight from flipkart and post some pics later.

BTW: One last question guys, will the M35 be a lot better than siberia v1 to justify the purchase?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Big thanks to red dragon, sarath, skywalker5555, NIGHTMARE, Krow, Faun, r4gs, aniket.cain and specially to dashing.sujoy for his help and gharmanaas for his offer to help ship from hifi.

Thanks for the help.

PS: What happened to Lynx India? The self proclaimed India's best audio store? Their forum's down, audio section has no stock of anything. RIP lynx. And don't shut the thread off, I'll order tonight from flipkart and post some pics later.

Anytime bro :)

As I had mentioned, the owner Amarbeer was very arrogant towards his cumstomers. Various complaints against him of rude behaviour, telling lie, selling of faulty products, false marketing and so on. Rest is history!

One thing, do ask from flipkart about RMA handling of M35 before buying.

And hopefully, yeah, it will be a lot better than V1, at least in music performance. :)

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Anytime bro :)

As I had mentioned, the owner Amarbeer was very arrogant towards his cumstomers. Various complaints against him of rude behaviour, telling lie, selling of faulty products, false marketing and so on. Rest is history!

One thing, do ask from flipkart about RMA handling of M35 before buying.

And hopefully, yeah, it will be a lot better than V1, at least in music performance. :)
There's Flipkart, or I can buy from ebay, pristinenote selling for 3.8k, itwares selling for 3.7k, now I will probably buy from ebay, I had purchased from Rahul before(noctua U12P) and the experience was good, I'm mailing flipkart atm to know about their rma policy.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
There's Flipkart, or I can buy from ebay, pristinenote selling for 3.8k, itwares selling for 3.7k, now I will probably buy from ebay, I had purchased from Rahul before(noctua U12P) and the experience was good, I'm mailing flipkart atm to know about their rma policy.

How much for are you getting it from ebay? btw Pristinenote is selling it for 3.5k only, not 3.8k. If possible buy from them, they have got an excellent reputation.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
How much for are you getting it from ebay? btw Pristinenote is selling it for 3.5k only, not 3.8k. If possible buy from them, they have got an excellent reputation.
In ebay, Pristinenote, 3.75k+shipping, itwares 3.7k+shipping.

Not gonna buy from webstore, account transfer is way too big a hassle, moreover I don't have net banking enabled on my account(Axis bank), requires a printed form and all, never bothered. That 200/- I can let go of.

Anyway tell me, is this a good deal compared to the M35?

*www.ebay.in/itm/Koss-Porta-Pro-Red...3?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3cc1626cdb

Not comparing the two phones, but just compare value for money, my priority is once again music.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
In ebay, Pristinenote, 3.75k+shipping, itwares 3.7k+shipping.

Not gonna buy from webstore, account transfer is way too big a hassle, moreover I don't have net banking enabled on my account(Axis bank), requires a printed form and all, never bothered. That 200/- I can let go of.

Anyway tell me, is this a good deal compared to the M35?

Koss Porta Pro Red Headphones Earphones | eBay

Not comparing the two phones, but just compare value for money, my priority is once again music.

Including shipping it'll make a diff of some 400, which is a good amount. I can transfer for you :). Which account do you own?

That's not a good price to be called as "good deal". Its the original price. Morever, don't think elsewhere now or you'll be confused. :)

Sarath

iDota
Just auditioned the Denon 510 and Sennnheiser 448.

Senny was better but don't know the cost. Really liked the 510 and if 1100 is an upgrade over this then I can understand what you guys were finally talking about. Very comfortable and light too.

Source: my phone. 320kbps MP3 file.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Then I go and find this: Warning! Fake Porta Pro discovered | Kool Audiophiles

I'm scared $hitless.

Just auditioned the Denon 510 and Sennnheiser 448.

Senny was better but don't know the cost. Really liked the 510 and if 1100 is an upgrade over this then I can understand what you guys were finally talking about. Very comfortable and light too.

Source: my phone. 320kbps MP3 file.
DON'T tempt me. How good are the 510 anyway?

Including shipping it'll make a diff of some 400, which is a good amount. I can transfer for you :). Which account do you own?

That's not a good price to be called as "good deal". Its the original price. Morever, don't think elsewhere now or you'll be confused. :)
Still, how will I pay you? The logic comes to same problem, I don't have e banking enabled, enabling it on axis bank will take a week or so, I'm gonna use my dad's credit card :-(