Best Audiophile Headphone Below 7k

red dragon

Master troll
@o.p, I did not read the whole thread and do not know about what headphones you are using.

But one thing I can assure you, not a single headphones is going to make your jaws drop all of a sudden.
I am no audiophile, but stupid enough to spend more than 50-60k on iem and headphones.
Not a single headphone/iem(even 25k ones) could make me feel WOW!
With prolonged listening over months I now can appreciate a good pair of iem or cans.
And one thing I would like to stress again..... Despite all the hype M50 is not at all a good hp even for a basshead.
It is extremely claustrophobic, Sennheiser hd25 does not have a great soundstage, but it is far less tiring than M50.
If you're absolutely sure that you need ONLY bass and don't even give a flying f0ck about music, go for M50, but for a proper basshead hp look into Denons or Ultrasones.

If I were in your position would have gone for the D1100 blindly or save up a little more and get the amazing hd25.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
@o.p, I did not read the whole thread and do not know about what headphones you are using.

But one thing I can assure you, not a single headphones is going to make your jaws drop all of a sudden.
I am no audiophile, but stupid enough to spend more than 50-60k on iem and headphones.
Not a single headphone/iem(even 25k ones) could make me feel WOW!
With prolonged listening over months I now can appreciate a good pair of iem or cans.
And one thing I would like to stress again..... Despite all the hype M50 is not at all a good hp even for a basshead.
It is extremely claustrophobic, Sennheiser hd25 does not have a great soundstage, but it is far less tiring than M50.
If you're absolutely sure that you need ONLY bass and don't even give a flying f0ck about music, go for M50, but for a proper basshead hp look into Denons or Ultrasones.

If I were in your position would have gone for the D1100 blindly or save up a little more and get the amazing hd25.
D1100 is too costly it seems, maybe I'll buy and stick to M50s for some time, later sell them and upgrade to AKG 701s next year when I join a job.

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
Believe me you are not going to like AKG 701 because your sound signature is totally different and plus its needs hell of burning. I advised you to listen them first, if you like it then order the AKG 702.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Believe me you are not going to like AKG 701 because your sound signature is totally different and plus its needs hell of burning. I advised you to listen them first, if you like it then order the AKG 702.
Where the hell do you people get headphone demos in India? :cry:

^^AKG 702 would be wayyy over his budget. Won't it?
I'm contemplating the future, right now, its a race between AD700, M50(waiting game) and D1100(no money) :-?

CSE ? Calculated score? And yeah paper was easy :|

He would be earning then :p
Nah, I didn't, what's done is done, I appeared this year without any preparations at all, next year I'll study harder and appear properly.

red dragon

Master troll
@o.p,You are getting seriously confused.
If you are looking for a bassy headphone under 10k,you should limit yourself into the followings,
1.M50
2.Ultrasone HIFI580
3.Denon d1100

Actually M50 does not even come close to the other two.
No point spending 8-9k on M50.
I also had high hopes for M50(due to the hype created by Pristine Note in Indian forums)
but have nothing good to say after actually heard them.
If you can find it for 6k,a decent buy may be...but anything more...not justified at all.
In fact I find all Audiotechnica headphones are overpriced for the sound they offer.

Getting demo in India is almost impossible,unless your friends have them.

Sarath

iDota
I would second that, M50 was quoted to me for 6k new sealed. 9k is an unjustifiable price for it. Also it might not be worth an upgrade.

Also since you are upgrading from the V1, I suggest you look at the ~5k headphones. I have repeated time and again that I too wanted to go for the M50, but I was told by someone that the more you pay, the incriments in improvements also decrease, i.e it wont be proportional to what you pay. Red dragon might be able to throw more light on the issue.

I hence decided to go with the lower sibling M35 from AT and upgrade to Beats HD later on (i know I called it an upgrade :)) pardon )

@tkin: I think you should not go high end just yet. I have been a little disappointed after spending 11k on IEMs that my reference ones are still my first purchased CX180 @1.5k.

I suggest you take it slowly, It is obvious that once you get one, you might want to upgrade sooner or later. Why climb the mountain in one go when you can camp mid-way and enjoy the view? :D

OP is confused and frustrated :)

Where the hell do you people get headphone demos in India?

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
If you are looking for a bassy headphone under 10k,you should limit yourself into the followings,
1.M50
2.Ultrasone HIFI580
3.Denon d1100

Actually M50 does not even come close to the other two.
No point spending 8-9k on M50.
I also had high hopes for M50(due to the hype created by Pristine Note in Indian forums)
but have nothing good to say after actually heard them.
If you can find it for 6k,a decent buy may be...but anything more...not justified at all.
In fact I find all Audiotechnica headphones are overpriced for the sound they offer.

Getting demo in India is almost impossible,unless your friends have them.
Guys, take a look at this:
Denon AH - D1100 Acoustic Luxury Over-Ear Headphones with 1 year seller Warranty | eBay

The rating makes me afraid, but price is awesome.

PS: Anyone in kolkata own a D1100?

I would second that, M50 was quoted to me for 6k new sealed. 9k is an unjustifiable price for it. Also it might not be worth an upgrade.

Also since you are upgrading from the V1, I suggest you look at the ~5k headphones. I have repeated time and again that I too wanted to go for the M50, but I was told by someone that the more you pay, the incriments in improvements also decrease, i.e it wont be proportional to what you pay. Red dragon might be able to throw more light on the issue.

I hence decided to go with the lower sibling M35 from AT and upgrade to Beats HD later on (i know I called it an upgrade :)) pardon )

@tkin: I think you should not go high end just yet. I have been a little disappointed after spending 11k on IEMs that my reference ones are still my first purchased CX180 @1.5k.

I suggest you take it slowly, It is obvious that once you get one, you might want to upgrade sooner or later. Why climb the mountain in one go when you can camp mid-way and enjoy the view? :D

OP is confused and frustrated :)
M50 is 159$ in amazon, so Pristine Will probably price it at 8k+, denon look like the last option.

PS: Is it worth spending 6.3k for AD700? I mean its not bassy I get it, but since you are saying I should upgrade a little bit now(~5k) then is the AD700 worth it? Else what would you suggest?

aniket.cain

Padawan
Guys, take a look at this:
Denon AH - D1100 Acoustic Luxury Over-Ear Headphones with 1 year seller Warranty | eBay

The rating makes me afraid, but price is awesome.

PS: Anyone in kolkata own a D1100?

M50 is 159$ in amazon, so Pristine Will probably price it at 8k+, denon look like the last option.

PS: Is it worth spending 6.3k for AD700? I mean its not bassy I get it, but since you are saying I should upgrade a little bit now(~5k) then is the AD700 worth it? Else what would you suggest?

Regarding the eBay listing, the description mentions the name and model as Denon AH-D510. I have read that this sounds like the D1100, but with less bass.

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
Try Denon first if possible. Please don't mind why you people obsessed with Audio Technica or its really appealing you guys. In my case tried few number headphone obviously I borrowed some from my friend, but at-least it's better way to judge because check what yours ears like and how you feel.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Regarding the eBay listing, the description mentions the name and model as Denon AH-D510. I have read that this sounds like the D1100, but with less bass.
Cr@p, missed that, 510 is a lot cheaper than that listing.

Try Denon first if possible. Please don't mind why you people obsessed with Audio Technica or its really appealing you guys. In my case tried few number headphone obviously I borrowed some from my friend, but at-least it's better way to judge because check what yours ears like and how you feel.
In kolkata? You wish ..........

^Audition problem.
:cry: :cry:

If this keeps up and I can't buy a good headphone around 7k, I'll just buy the Logitech Z623 speakers and call it quits :x

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
hello tkin !

try contacting 'theironhorse' and/or 'blasto' on HFV if you may. grado sr80i could've been a good option, but i personally have an aversion for over-the-ear design ;)

M50 is retailing for 7450/- on hifimart

but whatever said, i cant agree more with you and others above - settle for some good stereo or 2.1 speakers :D

even am on the hunt for a good HP, and had decided upon the M50, but now find myself stumbling after peeking in this thread :-?

r4gs

In the zone
Sorry for the really late reply, someone has to write the magazine you know... :D

@Tkin
If I'm absolutely honest, I don't know what I would take for Rs.7k.

Spending 8k now on a set of headphones and then 11k later for another set later seems to be a waste. That is 19k that could have been spent on something brilliant instead of 2 average sets.

As Red Dragon and some others mentioned, don't go by the hype. The M50s are just too expensive for the quality on offer.

Also, don't dismiss the portapros because they're "portable". There is a reason why the design hasn't changed in decades and they might actually sound better than the M50.

Logitech Z623,
We did review these some months back,
Earth-shattering bass and loud. You'll like them if all you're going to do is watch movies and play games.

Music sounds decent but the set is too "screechy" when it comes to voices and the bass is not detailed.

I've heard that the Altec Lansing MX6021 is better in the same price range, but I never personally got the chance to check them out.

Either set is a good buy at that price.

Top Bottom