Best Audiophile Headphone Below 7k

tkin

Back to school!!
So guys, I have managed to get some cash from my parents, and I want to upgrade my headphones, max budget is 7k(not a penny more)

Now, my requirements:

1. Strictly for music, so pure 2 channel audio, no 5.1 stuff.
2. I like them to be bass heavy, but good balanced sound is welcomed.
3. Strictly over the ear, no neckband or in-ear type.
4. Helpful to have in line volume control, but guess I can live without it.

That's pretty much it, fire away your suggestions.

I have selected 2 headphones myself:

A: Steelseries Siberia V2 @ 7k
B: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 @ 6.7k

So comment, personal experience is welcomed.

Last edited:

Sarath

iDota
Drop the V2 bro. It's not worth an upgrade at that price point.

AD700 are those purple coloured ones right? If yes then they are open, which means very low bass.

On phone so can't figure it out myself.

Extremegamer was saying that the Sennheiser 558 doesn't have much bass. So the 518 which falls in your budget might also suffer from same.

Try getting a Audiotechina M50 old stock. They sell for 6-7k. The new stock sells for 9k due to dollar etc

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^ +1, V2 not for music, and AD700 - no bass. Better go for M50. I have M20, and it has got decent bass, so you can expect a lot from elder sibling.

red dragon

Master troll
If you can manage 2k more, go for Denon D1100.
M50 does have a lot of bass but the sound stage is very narrow, and afaik it also costs around 8.5-9k.

Sarath

iDota
Strict 7k :|

I think if he for some reason goes for headphones that are more expensive then he might need an amp which will drive the costs up skywards.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Drop the V2 bro. It's not worth an upgrade at that price point.
I know, its just that I really love its sexy looks :p

AD700 are those purple coloured ones right? If yes then they are open, which means very low bass.

On phone so can't figure it out myself.

Extremegamer was saying that the Sennheiser 558 doesn't have much bass. So the 518 which falls in your budget might also suffer from same.

Try getting a Audiotechina M50 old stock. They sell for 6-7k. The new stock sells for 9k due to dollar etc
I hear HD558 is good but costs a whopping 10k, way over budget.

I searched, but M50 is 8-9k everywhere.

^ +1, V2 not for music, and AD700 - no bass. Better go for M50. I have M20, and it has got decent bass, so you can expect a lot from elder sibling.
I read about AD700s no bass issue, I need bass, how much for M20s?

If you can manage 2k more, go for Denon D1100.
M50 does have a lot of bass but the sound stage is very narrow, and afaik it also costs around 8.5-9k.
9k is a stretch, lets leave it for now.

Strict 7k :|
Yup, already got an USB HDD, 100 DVDs totaling nearly 6.2k, parents not gonna cut it anymore.

I think if he for some reason goes for headphones that are more expensive then he might need an amp which will drive the costs up skywards.
An amp is way overbudget for me.

If u can increase ur budget nothing better then audio technica ath-m50 they r approx for 8k
I'll see if I can manage 8k, but afaik its costlier than that??

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
I think you suppose to wait collect more money, you already spending 7k so it's also good amount of money. Don't compromise the quality for few bucks or if possible for you to borrow few bucks from your friends.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
M20 is for 2.1k. Don't even consider it. One more thing, many headphones have 10-feet long cables. So go for coiled cable headphones. M20 has coiled cable and my roommate is happy using it on his laptop. If you buy straight cable headphones, then expect tangling and related mess.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
I think you suppose to wait collect more money, you already spending 7k so it's also good amount of money. Don't compromise the quality for few bucks or if possible for you to borrow few bucks from your friends.
Maybe 1k more, but I can't spend more than 8k in coming months.

M20 is for 2.1k. Don't even consider it. One more thing, many headphones have 10-feet long cables. So go for coiled cable headphones. M20 has coiled cable and my roommate is happy using it on his laptop. If you buy straight cable headphones, then expect tangling and related mess.
These will be used strictly with PC, so no problem with that.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
^don't consider M20, it'll be like going back to old days. What's your priority about soundstage?
Not much needed in terms of soundstage, my primary requirement is bass, but not to overdo it, just the right amount.

Till now, AD700 is looking good.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
^Don't. For bass lovers AD700 was never a choice. Instead stick with M50. If possible take a live audition. :)
Can't find it anywhere. I'm looking for a new one.

How bout HD558?

Saw Grado SR60i and SR80i in lynx, comments on those and also on lynx website service, heard they went rogue.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Can't find it anywhere. I'm looking for a new one.

How bout HD558?

Saw Grado SR60i and SR80i in lynx, comments on those and also on lynx website service, heard they went rogue.

Yeah, sadly its out of stock everywhere.

Grados are very bright sounding as opposed to majority of dark/neutral sounding headphones. M (Audio Techinica) series are more of a neutral sounding piece. Some ppl love Grados, some hate it like hell. So, audition it before you buy, because what matters most is your liking about sound signature, not which headphone you're gonna buy.
Also, I have read much about SR60i that they're a bit uncomfortable, so not for prolong use. (>2-3hrs)

About HD558, I can't say, have a look this review.

red dragon

Master troll
Grados are strict no no for bassheads.
For bass I will still suggest you D1100 over M50.
Bass heavy sound with a narrow soundstage can cause very early auditory fatigue.
M50 has always been claustrophobic for me.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Steelseries Siberia V2 is crap looking. That's my personal opinion.

But not this:
*headfonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Headphone_Vmoda_V80_01.jpg

Sarath

iDota

But not this:

Let me guess,,,, Vero Moda?

I was going to suggest something like that but they can only be found in the USoA :|

I know, its just that I really love its sexy looks :p

An amp is way overbudget for me.

I'll see if I can manage 8k, but afaik its costlier than that??

Even I have the V1. I know what you are talking about. :))
But you already have the V1, why not get something else. Also the V2 sells for 5k outside, I guess US. It's grossly overpriced here.

Just asking you to check the resistance, otherwise you might need amping. I dropped my purchase for the same reason. But >8k most can be driven without amp.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Grados are strict no no for bassheads.
For bass I will still suggest you D1100 over M50.
Bass heavy sound with a narrow soundstage can cause very early auditory fatigue.
M50 has always been claustrophobic for me.
How much for D1100?

Let me guess,,,, Vero Moda?

I was going to suggest something like that but they can only be found in the USoA :|

Even I have the V1. I know what you are talking about. :))
But you already have the V1, why not get something else. Also the V2 sells for 5k outside, I guess US. It's grossly overpriced here.

Just asking you to check the resistance, otherwise you might need amping. I dropped my purchase for the same reason. But >8k most can be driven without amp.
Suggest something else will ya...

But not this:
Not in india.

Yeah, sadly its out of stock everywhere.

Grados are very bright sounding as opposed to majority of dark/neutral sounding headphones. M (Audio Techinica) series are more of a neutral sounding piece. Some ppl love Grados, some hate it like hell. So, audition it before you buy, because what matters most is your liking about sound signature, not which headphone you're gonna buy.
Also, I have read much about SR60i that they're a bit uncomfortable, so not for prolong use. (>2-3hrs)

About HD558, I can't say, have a look this review.
Hmm, tough choice, not many though.

Top Bottom