Best Audiophile Headphone Below 7k

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
^ I guess its new price is 2700 na?

Max 2k ?
Its 3k now, 2k is quite fair I guess, so 7k+2k, if M50 costs more than 9k I'll burn down pristinenote :twisted:

Grado SR80i's are also out of stock, wtf? Doesn't anyone use any descent cans in India anymore??

PS: Is Lynx India good? I've heard some rumors about them but I'm desperate now :cry:

Last Time M50 went out of stock in July, came in September, so March is a good estimate from you, why so slow?? Not like these stuffs lie around ..............

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Its 3k now, 2k is quite fair I guess, so 7k+2k, if M50 costs more than 9k I'll burn down pristinenote :twisted:

Yeah, this way, it seems better :twisted:

Grado SR80i's are also out of stock, wtf? Doesn't anyone use any descent cans in India anymore??

I am confused myself, how the hell all went out of stock at once? :| IIRC M50s are out of stock since early jan.

PS: Is Lynx India good? I've heard some rumors about them but I'm desperate now :cry:

No. their reputation is one of the worst. The owner Amarbeer sucks. Initially I had to buy a specific headphone which was only available at lynx. I better left that option.

Last Time M50 went out of stock in July, came in September, so March is a good estimate from you, why so slow?? Not like these stuffs lie around ..............

Already said :confused: :|

btw Why don't you try amazon?

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Yeah, this way, it seems better :twisted:

I am confused myself, how the hell all went out of stock at once? :| IIRC M50s are out of stock since early jan.

No. their reputation is one of the worst. The owner Amarbeer sucks. Initially I had to buy a specific headphone which was only available at lynx. I better left that option.

Already said :confused: :|

btw Why don't you try amazon?
Saw it in amazon, will that price translate to 9k incl shipping and customs? I'll only get it if its so.

Pristine Note officially replied, 1.5 months,

*laurenoutloud.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/fuuu_Busted-s512x386-98509.png

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^Add it in cart and proceed to pre-final step where it shows total cost including customs. If it comes around 200-210$, then fine. :)

Guess what, while I was looking for M50 reagrding your matter, I accidently ordered them :rofl: Then I had to quickly cancel them lol :))

r4gs

In the zone
I'm no audiophile myself, but I did get the chance to personally check out the M50 and AD700 at PristineNote's "store".

Personally, I felt that the AD700 seriously lacked low-end thump and the M50 was a bit muddy in the bass. My uncle, who is a proper audiophile, said the same of the M50s. I certainly wouldn't recommend them, especially at the Rs.8.5k they quoted. The M50 is popular no doubt, the guys said that they run out of stock as fast as they replenish them.

That said, the set I checked out were quite old and used.

You don't need an amp to run either of the sets (M50 and AD700), they run perfectly well off any iPod. I don't know if an amp will help though as PristineNote did have a Maverick-A1 tube amp set up but I didn't have the time to check it out.

From the headphones I've checked out,
Sennheiser PX100 i/ii (bit lacking in detail in the low-end) ~Rs.3k
Klipsch image S4 (Brilliant set of ear buds but can sound harsh) ~Rs.4k
KOSS PortaPro (Decent overall, seemed to be better than PX100 but didn't spend enough time to be sure) ~Rs.3-4k

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Whatever you say, the ones you mentioned don't stand a chance against M50. Also, liking a headphone, as I already mentioned depends upon personal taste and liking. :)

r4gs

In the zone
Whatever you say, the ones you mentioned don't stand a chance against M50. Also, liking a headphone, as I already mentioned depends upon personal taste and liking. :)

Very true. Audio quality is very much a matter of personal preference and it is best if you can actually try out the headphone that you want to buy, ideally with the source and music that you want to use.

I wouldn't dismiss the sennheisers and Klipsch that easily, check out this graph,

*bit.ly/y35UcB

As you can see, there is a distinct dip in the M50s signature below the 100Hz mark (bass). Comparatively the Klipsch image S4 has a very flat, albeit boosted, frequency response below 100Hz.

The KOSS Portapro actually has a far smoother signature, which translates into better bass.

Similar graphs of the D1100 will also show you that the bass has been boosted in that set as well, but it is still smooth.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Comparing IEM vs a full sized headphone is not fair actually. :) Also, koss porta pro also doesn't lies in either category. But yeah, graph wise, S4i outclasses M50.

And D1100 has of course much better bass than M50. :)

r4gs

In the zone
Its not about comparing classes of headphones, it is ultimately about sound quality.

Eg., you can't compare the output from an HD202 with that of an S4. A 10k headset like the Storm Sirius is also a waste of money for music.

The main question right now is, is it worth it?

For someone who just wants a good headset to go with his iPod or phone or even a PC, an M50 is too expensive an investment given the capabilities of the player and headphones. If you are an audiophile and want the "purest" audio and spend your days listening to 96KHz FLAC files with fancy amps, the M50 is not good enough and you would want better.

I don't know, something like a good set of in-ears might make much more sense but Tkin doesn't want that and I will respect that. The M50 is nice as it is a closed set, good for travel but really, at what cost?

All I'm trying to say is 8k on an M50 when you specifically want good bass? A waste of money. The graph is testament to that.

As far as I can make out, waiting and saving up a little more for the D1100 seems to be the best option, especially if the M50 is going to take a couple of months to arrive anyway. In the long run it seems to be a much better investment, what is a few lost months in exchange for years of aural bliss?

sukant

Fragholic
@Rags
Firstly the Sirus is 7.5k not 10k :) . Absolutely agree with your point that its worthless spending that much if your main priority is music.
I have seen 90% of people swearing by their M50's, going by that i would not says its a waste investment . And the M50's will sell equally fast as well incase you dont like it.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
^Add it in cart and proceed to pre-final step where it shows total cost including customs. If it comes around 200-210$, then fine. :)

Guess what, while I was looking for M50 reagrding your matter, I accidently ordered them :rofl: Then I had to quickly cancel them lol :))
ROFL, if you ended up buying them I would have gotten it off your hand(full price) :wink:

I'm no audiophile myself, but I did get the chance to personally check out the M50 and AD700 at PristineNote's "store".

Personally, I felt that the AD700 seriously lacked low-end thump and the M50 was a bit muddy in the bass. My uncle, who is a proper audiophile, said the same of the M50s. I certainly wouldn't recommend them, especially at the Rs.8.5k they quoted. The M50 is popular no doubt, the guys said that they run out of stock as fast as they replenish them.

That said, the set I checked out were quite old and used.

You don't need an amp to run either of the sets (M50 and AD700), they run perfectly well off any iPod. I don't know if an amp will help though as PristineNote did have a Maverick-A1 tube amp set up but I didn't have the time to check it out.

From the headphones I've checked out,
Sennheiser PX100 i/ii (bit lacking in detail in the low-end) ~Rs.3k
Klipsch image S4 (Brilliant set of ear buds but can sound harsh) ~Rs.4k
KOSS PortaPro (Decent overall, seemed to be better than PX100 but didn't spend enough time to be sure) ~Rs.3-4k
That's why I want the M50, porta pro is nice but its really a portable masterpiece, can't stand against full blown studio monitors.

Very true. Audio quality is very much a matter of personal preference and it is best if you can actually try out the headphone that you want to buy, ideally with the source and music that you want to use.

I wouldn't dismiss the sennheisers and Klipsch that easily, check out this graph,

*bit.ly/y35UcB

As you can see, there is a distinct dip in the M50s signature below the 100Hz mark (bass). Comparatively the Klipsch image S4 has a very flat, albeit boosted, frequency response below 100Hz.

The KOSS Portapro actually has a far smoother signature, which translates into better bass.

Similar graphs of the D1100 will also show you that the bass has been boosted in that set as well, but it is still smooth.
IEMs are useful for portable audio players, not full blown music listening from pc.

So M50 vs D1100.....

Its not about comparing classes of headphones, it is ultimately about sound quality.

Eg., you can't compare the output from an HD202 with that of an S4. A 10k headset like the Storm Sirius is also a waste of money for music.

For someone who just wants a good headset to go with his iPod or phone or even a PC, an M50 is too expensive an investment given the capabilities of the player and headphones. If you are an audiophile and want the "purest" audio and spend your days listening to 96KHz FLAC files with fancy amps, the M50 is not good enough and you would want better.

I don't know, something like a good set of in-ears might make much more sense but Tkin doesn't want that and I will respect that. The M50 is nice as it is a closed set, good for travel but really, at what cost?

All I'm trying to say is 8k on an M50 when you specifically want good bass? A waste of money. The graph is testament to that.

As far as I can make out, waiting and saving up a little more for the D1100 seems to be the best option, especially if the M50 is going to take a couple of months to arrive anyway. In the long run it seems to be a much better investment, what is a few lost months in exchange for years of aural bliss?
Thanks for the reply, now you are right, I don't want IEMs, can't stand them for more than few hours, plus, not comfortable on the long run, I have PL30s, I listen to portable audio a few hours per week or less, what I want are full fledged cans(nor porta pro like hybrids), how much for D1100 again??

10k right?? My parents are gonna murder me :cry: :-(

@Rags
Firstly the Sirus is 7.5k not 10k :) . Absolutely agree with your point that its worthless spending that much if your main priority is music.
I have seen 90% of people swearing by their M50's, going by that i would not says its a waste investment . And the M50's will sell equally fast as well incase you dont like it.
Till date my foray into good headphones has been limited to PL30(IEM) and Siberia(good looks, good music for 3k, cr@p music overall), so M50 will feel like heavens to me, haven't been spoiled by ultra high end cans yet :wink:

r4gs

In the zone
@Rags

7.5k? Haven't been keeping track. :D

I'm only saying the M50s are a waste if you're looking for very good music quality. But yes, the M50s are extremely popular. They're not a bad set by any means and frankly, I would buy that set if it was selling for around 5k. Its something like the Bose IEM, it does sound good, but then its expensive as well.
:)

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Comparing IEM vs a full sized headphone is not fair actually. :) Also, koss porta pro also doesn't lies in either category. But yeah, graph wise, S4i outclasses M50.

And D1100 has of course much better bass than M50. :)
*i.qkme.me/DR.jpg

7.5k? Haven't been keeping track. :D

I'm only saying the M50s are a waste if you're looking for very good music quality. But yes, the M50s are extremely popular. They're not a bad set by any means and frankly, I would buy that set if it was selling for around 5k. Its something like the Bose IEM, it does sound good, but then its expensive as well.
What would you buy for say 7k(max 8k)??

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

I completely agree with you. But I think Tkin is not just looking for bass, its for good music with bass as priority. But still, I'm not suitable judge to comment M50 Vs D1100.

Also one important thing which I came to know about after buying M20 that one has to keep a good collection of quality music to gain from a good set. I notice a huge difference b/w 128 and 320kbps music, leave about FLACs. And I'm very sad that my 99% music collection is 128kbps :(

ROFL, if you ended up buying them I would have gotten it off your hand(full price) :wink:

Actually I'd have left it ordered but it didn't showed up the total amount of payment deducted, just finished when I selected "one click buy". :p

M50s, if are not best then at least not waste. :)

*i.qkme.me/DR.jpg

:lol:

~On a side note Tkin, how did your GATE went?

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
I completely agree with you. But I think Tkin is not just looking for bass, its for good music with bass as priority. But still, I'm not suitable judge to comment M50 Vs D1100.

Also one important thing which I came to know about after buying M20 that one has to keep a good collection of quality music to gain from a good set. I notice a huge difference b/w 128 and 320kbps music, leave about FLACs. And I'm very sad that my 99% music collection is 128kbps :(

Actually I'd have left it ordered but it didn't showed up the total amount of payment deducted, just finished when I selected "one click buy". :p

M50s, if are not best then at least not waste. :)

:lol:

~On a side note Tkin, how did your GATE went?
You hit it right there, balanced headphones, with emphasis on bass, not a basshead.

Most of my music 320kbps(what I download), the ones that I got from my friends are just awful(as low as 64kbps cr@p).

GATE went cr@ptastic, since I got my job I didn't even prepare for it, the paper was gawd damn easy though :p

Top Bottom