Votes: 51 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 65.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Well i think that Orkut is just a breach of privacy and waste of time. I know people who can spend the WHOLE day on Orkut! And yes, im talking about people working in a respectable company as software engineers! What do you guys think?

OP
kalpik

kalpik

^^ Respect you opinion dude! But if you have time.. Give some justification for your choice too! :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Orkut has a lot of -ve's associated with it. But I will personally say no, orkut should not be taken down.
My reasons
1) I met a lot of school friends through orkut, whom I lost touch with and never thought I will meet so many of them again;
2) I can keep in constant touch with my college friends even though I have finished with my college now;
3) I waste less time on orkut then on yahoo messenger/IRC but can still keep in touch with friends;
4) I can talk to my friends on orkut so I can save a lot of my SMS cost and sometime calling cost cos I anyways incur same cost on my PC.
5) It let's you find your soulmate :p. Though not for me.
Well if you keep the point that people waste lot of time over orkut, now that's not the fault of orkut. It's like saying stop practising relegion cos lots of fighting happens today in the name of relegion. So should we go ahead and destroy all out temples, churches and mosques?
And if you care about privacy, don't give all the details. Well even without orkut google does know a lot about you. Nice bunch of personal intimate emails send from/to gmail. Big fat database from the pages crawled from your site/blog and world wide web in general. History of purchases via froogle and lots more.
In fact, I want to consider making a project, just for the heck of it, on 'Privacy - In the Reign of Google'

OP
kalpik

kalpik

tech_your_future said:
It's like saying stop practising relegion cos lots of fighting happens today in the name of relegion. So should we go ahead and destroy all out temples, churches and mosques?
O.K. with me! Religion is one of the main factors india is still a "developing" nation.. Cuz people exploit each other on the basis of religeon. People are so superstitious in india.. I am an atheist, and a proud one at that! Anyway, enough of going off-topic :p (No offence meant to any person/religeon) :)
tech_your_future said:
And if you care about privacy, don't give all the details. Well even without orkut google does know a lot about you. Nice bunch of personal intimate emails send from/to gmail. Big fat database from the pages crawled from your site/blog and world wide web in general. History of purchases via froogle and lots more.
In fact, I want to consider making a project, just for the heck of it, on 'Privacy - In the Reign of Google'
Im not concerned about google knowing about me, im concerned about "other" people knowing my details. I mean anyone with an orkut account can see my scrapbook and know a LOT about me!

Anand_RF

Journeyman
I'm gonna say don't take it off. Yes, I hate orkut's "hey long time no scraps what yaar?" or "hey how are you?" scraps even if that person is currently talking to you via IM.
But I've managed to find several long lost friends of mine through the service, and think several others have too. So I don't think it should be banned, though that stupid scrapbook should be scrapped.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
First to clarify my stand: I don't like Orkut at all. I really can't imagine how people spend their precious time there. I find that I hardly have any time for activities that I'm involved even though I don't have a full time job at the moment (gonna leave for Dubai shortly to work). Even in the Internet (assuming that you have only that as entertainment, work with or whatever) , there are so much to do productive.

Now coming to this discussions. Who are you to say Orkut to be taken down? Social networking sites like MySpace (Number 6 visited site in the whole net!), Orkut, Yahoo 360, Facebook are doing well. It earns big money to the guys who own them.

Again it's not the mistake of these social n/w sites that people wasting time. It's due to the various reasons that they don't want to get productive.

mehulved

kalpik said:
Im not concerned about google knowing about me, im concerned about "other" people knowing my details. I mean anyone with an orkut account can see my scrapbook and know a LOT about me!
I am not saying that google knows a lot about you. I am saying is google indexes a lot about you. So people can find out a lot about you very easily.
But I've managed to find several long lost friends of mine through the service, and think several others have too. So I don't think it should be banned, though that stupid scrapbook should be scrapped.
I have replied orkut on their feedback that they should incorporate 3 modes on the scrapbook - private, shared and friends.
In private only you and the person who posted can see it.
In friends, only common friends between both can see it.
And shared can be seen by everyone.
Why not everyone of you'll request orkut to incorporate this or some related feature, if many people demand it, they will be ready to incorporate it.
This is where you should request *help.orkut.com/support/bin/request.py
EDIT: Just saw that Option to restrict scrapbook access, is in Top 5 list of suggestions, why not pust this and make it their top priority, so the privacy conecrns will be reduced manifold. Full privacy is not possible in the internet age.

Last edited:

mehulved

QwertyManiac said:
Maybe not, but why continue to exist there was my doubt.
Cos still there are lot of people who are not there on the friends list and I keep meeting someone or the other whom I have lost contact with, over time.

mediator

Technomancer
Hey guys, I see a lotta discussion is being going on regarding scraps and personal details. If u dont want ur details to be seen just dont fill them, who forced u?? Just fill ur name and upload a pic so that ur old friends get to recognise ya :)!
For the scrap thing, just dont use it. Use the personal messege thing of ORkut! Why is there so much discussion for this??

Neways yea, One point I agree on is that ur friend might be big mouthed to write all the secrets in ur scrap book causing some embarrasment! So I dont support the scrap thing personally!

But overall Orkut is good as @tech_for_future said it makes u reunite with old friends! Neways orkut is the only thing I do during exams. A break of 15 minutes during studies, some nice messeges and scraps really refreshes u between studies!

S

se><ie

yeah! even I hate orkut but then I too found many lost friends( not to forget I found that kalpik's my school friend's friend. )

there are some ****ty people who just keep sending forwards as if I will really join their "so snd so..." community or forward the message to help a "person in really need" (yeah! the grammer sucks but thats what the subject lines read.

"scrapbook"=> my opinion doesn't differ

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Why the hue and cry over scraps? If you feel someone is writing something which you don't like, you can always delete it.

mediator said:
A break of 15 minutes during studies, some nice messeges and scraps really refreshes u between studies!
Ahh.. I never study much. But when I actually study, I visit Digit now and then (say ever 2 hrs or so) to take a break. I dunno as to how much that helped, but that's the way I spend the last 1-2 sems of my UG. Seeing that now, I won't recommend spending time here (or for that matter Orkut) as IMO it's waste. You'll be de-stressed, fresh, ok; but still it won't recharge you. Now, if I want to study (say when I do my MBA), then I'll visit Steve Pavlina's Blog or if I feel it's too "heavy" to read again and that too in front of a PC, then taking a 15-20 min nap or listening to FM/music. Orkut IMO will not do you good.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
faaltu time waste hai yaar ..... and here discussing this we are indulging in nothing more than what ppl do on orkut ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom