Votes: 51 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 65.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Right off the assembly line
Orkut was first developed by Google Engineer and then Google took interest in it. I do not like Orkut for its addictive. Getting in touch with ol-friends is good though.

Orkut is just another social network. Some people make use of it and some misuse it! But when it comes down to taking Orkut down, I don't think Google will ever do that. They are after money! I heard that they make around $6 per user and the cost of running orkut is around $4 per user.

$2 / user is lot of money anyways. Rich Google ;) !

Rick

Prajith

Broken In
I dont orkut cause i dont like to.
But isn't it better for ppl who dislike it to keep away from it instead of trying to regulate others also.
Practice democracy guys.
Regulation brings deliberate interest.
Let ppl see and decide for themselves.
A No to Ban from me.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I voted no because of the following two reasons

1) Shutting down is not a solution, there are many similar sites and many such sites can crop up.
2) There are some people who have a hard time socializing people in real life, they get a chance in social sites like Orkut.

I think if someone does not like sites like myspace, orkut they can simply stop going there. The internet is so vast, you can spend your whole life on it without visiting the same site twice. :)

NikhilVerma

Padawan
First of all I'd like to say that all the people who voted against Orkut had not a single valid argument whatsoever.

Well i think that Orkut is just a breach of privacy and waste of time

It is , but only if you register, if you don't like Orkut it will NEVER steal your privacy. And waste of time , well again it's only about a person's will if you think people waste time on Orkut and it should it stopped it's like saying that eating too much makes you obese so eating should be stopped. It's personal responsibility, orkut doesn't ask you to waste your time,

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/member.php?u=7274That feckin spamin irritating (s)crappy place...
You can always stop using and it won't spam you again.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/member.php?u=6067Im not concerned about google knowing about me, im concerned about "other" people knowing my details. I mean anyone with an orkut account can see my scrapbook and know a LOT about me!
Well yes they can indeed ! But it's only a matter of your choice. Orkut doesn't force a person to complete his entire profile. Just register there and start searching for people. The only required fields are your name and your country and ofcource your gender and that's not gonna tell anything about you to anyone. And the scrapbook shouldn't be used to discuss private things, it's for dropping messages or comments to your friends only. There is a more private messaging feature if you want there.

But people spend lotta time scraping shero-shairi to each other n that is damn disgusting..
haha I hate that the most :p but that is nothing compared to 15 friends of mine which I found on Orkut, I knew some of them over 10 years ago !

....... well most ( or rather all ) of the things i said have been said before :p I just wanted to put them in a single place.And as for pro's of orkut , I don't even know where to start. :rolleyes:

S

SE><IE

Looks like you joined it not far ago eh? And you are hooked.
No one can change others' mentality. If we believe orkut is a spam centre then well we say so cuz its full of morons. Take hi5 or ryze on the other hand you get far less spam there.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Well indeed ..... I did have a hi5 account ... But very few Indians join there so I have stopped using it. And as far as spam goes, I isn't like orkut mails me regularly. Orkut never mails you unless u enable it's notification settings. And I can tolerate other spam ( which again has nothing to do with orkut, it's just people sending you messages , and you can always avoid that spam too ! Just don't make random friends and join communities ) as long as I am in touch with my old buddies.

That's the only reason I'm hooked to orkut. I don't find the reason why anyone should like orkut , unless they don't give any priority to finding their old friends back.

jack// ani

In the zone
orkurt is just a huge waste of time......n good only for those who have no other way to kill there time except by reading other's scrap and viewing albums!!

orkut is just one another sh*t out there.......

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Go down Orkut, rubbish crap and waste of time, i hate watching my cousins wasting time whole day browsing orkut.

faraaz

Evil Genius
I seem to be in the minority, but I actually use the damn thing for keeping in touch with friends of mine...thing is I study in Sydney doing a Bachelor's degree, so Orkut is invaluable for keeping in touch with all my year school friends from Hyderabad & Bangalore, not to mention Sydney itself...

And I have never really been bothered too much by the spam and stuff so no...I don't want it to be discontinued.

S

SE><IE

@nikhil verma: I'm not talking of spam in terms of junk mail. but the (s)crap(s) and invitations to join a particular community. As far as the finding old friends goes-yes, I and many other have found their old friends. And I suppose no-one hates it for this matter.
The reason we hate is cuz WE HATE (nonesense) SCRAPS & INVITES (yes, I'm shouting, can't control :) )

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
NikhilVerma said:
That feckin spamin irritating (s)crappy place...
You can always stop using and it won't spam you again.
I did. And guess what? My account didnt delete properly through GAccn. and I still recieve messages sent to me there, by usual portugese spammers. And I got no idea how to stop it except to create a filter.

manas

Wandering in the zone ...
I deleted my Orkut account long time ago..It is slowly becoming the breeding place for spammers.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
QwertyManiac said:
I did. And guess what? My account didnt delete properly through GAccn. and I still recieve messages sent to me there, by usual portugese spammers. And I got no idea how to stop it except to create a filter.

You get what ? Buddy the only mails I get from orkut are the scrap notifications ! Maybe you should try the options in ur orkut account.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Well, I had message notifications on, and those seep in still. I had disabled Scrap notifications before. As I told, my account no longer exists on Orkut with my GMAIL id, and when I try to rejoin with that it says already in.

PS [ OFFTOPIC ] Lol, I dont know what button I hit but am seeing this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode#imgcode

jack// ani

In the zone
guys.....i signed my orkut acc with gmail id.....now tell me how to delete this sh*t acc.....i just want to kick it right away, never tried before!!

Just have a look at this . I am not sure if this story is true.

The Story....

A guy lost his girlfriend in a train accident....

but the gal's name nowhere appeared in the dead list. This guy

grew up n became IT technical architect in his late 20?s, achievement in itself!!.

He hired developers from the whole globe and plan to make a

software where he could search for his gf through the web..

Things went as planned...

n he found her, after losing millions of dollars and 3 long years!!

It was time to shut down the search operation, when the CEO of Google had a

word with this guy n took over this application,

This Software made a whopping 1 billion dollars profit in its first year,

which we today know as ORKUT .

*mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=10ef01354748a54b

The guy's name is ORKUT BUYUKKOTEN . Yes its named after him only. Today he

is paid a hefty sum by Google for the things we do like scrapping. He is

expected to b the richest person by 2009.

ORKUT BUYUKKOTEN today has 13 assistants to monitor his scrapbook & 8 to

monitor his friends-list. He gets around 20,000 friend-requests a day &

about 85,000 scraps!!!

Some other Cool Facts about this guy:

* He gets $12 from Google when every person registers to this website.

* He also gets $10 when you add somebody as a friend.

* He gets $8 when your friend's friend adds you as a friend & gets $6 if

anybody adds you as friend in the resulting chain.

* He gets $5 when you scrap somebody & $4 when somebody scraps you.

* He also gets $200 for each photograph you upload on Orkut.

* He gets $2.5 when you add your friend in the crush-list or in the hot-list.

* He gets $2 when you become somebody's fan.

* He gets $1.5 when somebody else becomes your fan.

* He even gets $1 every time you logout of Orkut.

* He gets $0.5 every time you just change your profile-photograph.

* He also gets $0.5 every time you read your friend's scrap-book & $0.5 every time
you view your friend's friend-list.

"Moral of the story"?

LOSE U R GIRLFRIEND AND MAKE BILLIONS !!!!

*mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.2&disp=emb&view=att&th=10ef01354748a54b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom