Votes: 51 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 65.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathik

Google Bot
that story u told us is bull$hit... The persons name was orkut buyokkuten.. Google it.. But sadly ther s no such interesting story :))

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Manshahia said:
I read in a newspaper some days ago(i think in Times of India or Indian Express) that a person named orkuttian lost his girl friend in an accident.
To find her he gathered all the software engineers to join and create a system for finding her. After millions of dollars spent, he found her after 3 years. Now the project had to closed. But google offered to buy that project and now google is paying that person many dllars for each scrap.
It is estimated that he wud b the world's richest person in 2009.

lol...that has been circulating in Orkut since I joined Orkut. Its just a fake news. Nobody gets any dollars for just scraping.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
i swear it.
it was in the newspaper to.
nd they had written that when anybody does anything on orkut he gets money like scrapping, creating community, joining community etc.
i thnk newspaper wale also put their newspaper on website.
lemme search.
it was on indian xpress or times of india.

Pathik

Google Bot
orkut was a google employee who created orkut in his 20% free time.. And google adopted his project.. Jus check wikipedia

luckypayal

Broken In
tech_your_future said:
Orkut has a lot of -ve's associated with it. But I will personally say no, orkut should not be taken down.
My reasons
1) I met a lot of school friends through orkut, whom I lost touch with and never thought I will meet so many of them again;
2) I can keep in constant touch with my college friends even though I have finished with my college now;
3) I waste less time on orkut then on yahoo messenger/IRC but can still keep in touch with friends;
4) I can talk to my friends on orkut so I can save a lot of my SMS cost and sometime calling cost cos I anyways incur same cost on my PC.
5) It let's you find your soulmate :p. Though not for me.
Well if you keep the point that people waste lot of time over orkut, now that's not the fault of orkut. It's like saying stop practising relegion cos lots of fighting happens today in the name of relegion. So should we go ahead and destroy all out temples, churches and mosques?
And if you care about privacy, don't give all the details. Well even without orkut google does know a lot about you. Nice bunch of personal intimate emails send from/to gmail. Big fat database from the pages crawled from your site/blog and world wide web in general. History of purchases via froogle and lots more.
In fact, I want to consider making a project, just for the heck of it, on 'Privacy - In the Reign of Google'

fully agree bul$hit all those who hate orkut....

hehehehehe

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Nope. I don't see any strong reason for it to be taken down. Many people like me meet our friends here. I got my school friends too. I am very happy and thankful to Orkut for it. Instead of bringing down Orkut down, delete the communities which are totally rubbish. It needs a good moderation and clean-up.

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
Completly agreed with Kiran

But moderation or orkut is a very big job also i need Photo safety i.e no one can copy my photo or Avtar and pople should follow rules for orkut profiles

appu

Knowledge Nomad
nope no way orkut should be taken down
its a gr8 place especially for indians and we r among top 3 members of dat community plus its a gr8 place yup once again

netguy

In To The World
Hey guys i luv this Orkut coz i helped me to meet old school mates after a looong time....and just only a problem with the scraps y not use some messenger thingy 4 chat?

shantanu

Technomancer
i dont think that orkut should be down ... coz i because of orkut only i met many of my GF's and friends there... :D:D:D:D:D:D:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom