Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
started the upgrade-process y'day night. downloaded the media creation toolkit, and everything was finished by morning. later in the evening began resetting the laptop, and its carrying on. atrociously slow! does it use the net continuously when doing this resetting?

so there's some speed-jump in the progress. and the net isn't being used, as files being downloaded at full-speed on my PC.

Gollum

Collector
Have any of you got the issue of not being able to turn ON Wifi?
Even with the wifi driver installed.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Every now and then Map Download Paused comes up in notification. Is there any way to disable the inbuilt map app?

go to settting > system > offline maps>map updates turn it off

- - - Updated - - -

Have any of you got the issue of not being able to turn ON Wifi?
Even with the wifi driver installed.

Nope, I would suggest you to allow windows to download updated drivers.Only exclude nvidia drivers if your laptop has nvidia GPU they are huge and causes update process slow.

Flash

Lost in speed
go to settting > system > offline maps>map updates turn it off
Nope, I would suggest you to allow windows to download updated drivers.Only exclude nvidia drivers if your laptop has nvidia GPU they are huge and causes update process slow.
He's asking about the "Maps" app itself, not the "Map updates". [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] - There's no way you can disable the app from showing. Either you can update the app or don't. Just like WP download, it will show forever.

- - - Updated - - -

How To Uninstall Default Apps In Windows 10

A little over a dozen universal apps (also known as Metro or Modern apps) are bundled with Windows 10. Calculator, Calendar, Mail, Camera, Cortana, Contact Support, File & TV, Get Started, Groove Music, Maps, News, OneNote, People, Photos, and Phone Companion are some of the apps that ship with Windows 10.

While it’s true that most of these apps were part of the previous version of Windows as well and were not impressive, all these apps have been updated with better UI and features. Some of these apps like Mail, Calendar, Calculator and Voice Recorder are really helpful, but not all users are going to use these default apps.

*windows.intowindows.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Uninstall-default-apps-in-Windows-10-Step5_thumb.png
That said, uninstalling these default apps is not a good idea, especially if you hope to free up some disk space. Some of these apps are under 1 MB, in fact, uninstalling all these apps will probably free up around 100 MB of disk space.
Moreover, if you want to uninstall one or more default apps in Windows 10, it’s not possible to do so via the Control Panel or Settings app.

As with the case of traditional Windows programs like Paint and Notepad, with default settings, Windows 10 doesn’t allow you uninstall or remove these default apps. The Apps and features section of Settings app doesn’t show Uninstall option when you click on a default app.
Uninstall or remove default apps using PowerShell

To uninstall a default or pre-installed app in Windows 10, you need to execute a simple command. Here is how to uninstall a default or pre-installed app in Windows 10:

NOTE: Some of the apps like Cortana and Store can’t be uninstalled as they are system apps and essential for the smooth operation of Windows 10.

Step 1: The first step is to open Windows PowerShell as administrator. To do so, type PowerShell in the Start menu or taskbar search box to see PowerShell in the search results, right-click on it and then click Run as administrator.

*windows.intowindows.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Uninstall-default-apps-in-Windows-10-Step1_thumb.png

Alternatively, type PowerShell in search box and then simultaneously press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys to run it as administrator.

Step 2: In the PowerShell window, type the following command and then press Enter key to get a list of all default apps and universal apps installed from the Store.

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers

*windows.intowindows.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Uninstall-default-apps-in-Windows-10-Step2_thumb.png

Step 3: Scroll down to see the app that you want to uninstall. And if you want to uninstall all apps at once, please skip to Step 6.

Copy the package name of the application as we can’t uninstall an app by just entering its name. The package name appears right next to PackageFullName.

*windows.intowindows.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Uninstall-default-apps-in-Windows-10-Step3_thumb.png

For instance, in this guide, we are uninstalling the Maps app. To do so, we need to first copy the full package name of the app. To copy the full package name, select the full package name as shown in the above picture, and then use Ctrl + C hotkey to copy the name.

Step 4: To uninstall the app, type the following command:

Remove-AppxPackage PackageFullName

In the above command replace PackageFullName with the full package name of the app. In this guide, we are removing the Maps app. So we have put the full package name of Maps app.

*windows.intowindows.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Uninstall-default-apps-in-Windows-10-Step4_thumb.png

Step 5:
To remove all default apps from all user accounts, use the following command.

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

Step 6: To remove all default apps as well as apps installed from the Store for the current user account, use this command:

Get-AppxPackage -User | Remove-AppxPackage

In the above command replace the User with your user name.

Good luck!

How to Uninstall Windows 10’s Built-in Apps (and How to Reinstall Them)

Source:How to Uninstall Windows 10?s Built-in Apps (and How to Reinstall Them)
That's a very useful post. :)

For people trouble finding and uninstalling the Package names, follow this in Powershell. Make sure, you start with a clean screen.
1. Type Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers, and it will list all.
2. Click Powershell icon at the top-left, select "Edit > Select All"
3. Copy the contents by pressing "Enter".
4. Open an Excel sheet, and paste the contents and sort it.
5. All "PackageFamilyName" should be sorted now.
Example:
Code:
PackageFullName        : Microsoft.BioEnrollment_10.0.10240.16384_neutral__cw5n1h2txyewy
PackageFullName        : Microsoft.ZuneVideo_3.6.12101.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
6. Replace "PackageFullName :" with "Remove-AppxPackage ".
Code:
Remove-AppxPackage  Microsoft.BioEnrollment_10.0.10240.16384_neutral__cw5n1h2txyewy
Remove-AppxPackage  Microsoft.ZuneVideo_3.6.12101.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
7. Execute the statements one by one to uninstall them.

bubusam13

Human
At last back to windows 7. Win 10 is downloading something, don't know what. I stopped all auto updates, even in services.msc. But still it ate up my 6GB data plan in 8 days.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
At last back to windows 7. Win 10 is downloading something, don't know what. I stopped all auto updates, even in services.msc. But still it ate up my 6GB data plan in 8 days.

I guess maps are updating in the background silently. Haven't faced any bandwidth related issues since I set the connection as metered.

H2O

Journeyman
Ok.

I have upgraded to Windows 10 Single Language and it is activated.

Now, I want to do a clean install. But, I wanted to know a few things.

First being, I know I need to download Windows 10 again from Microsoft Media Tools for a clean install. Now, if I download the Windows 10 Pro version, can it work on my laptop which has Windows 10 Single Language?

Secondly, will I miss out on anything important if I don't upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro?

Thanks.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Ok.

I have upgraded to Windows 10 Single Language and it is activated.

Now, I want to do a clean install. But, I wanted to know a few things.

Clean install on the same laptop ? You can reset it. That's as good as clean install. Check first post.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
any solution for that black screen during boot? Really slow boot time for a SSD.

Laptop = Samsung 850 Evo + i5-2410M + Radeon HD 6470M.

Minion

Conversation Architect
any solution for that black screen during boot? Really slow boot time for a SSD.

Laptop = Samsung 850 Evo + i5-2410M + Radeon HD 6470M.

uninstall radeon HD drivers allow windows to update radeon drivers through auto updates.

- - - Updated - - -

Bad windows 10
Screwed up everything

For black screen just search I got a solution there.

Does you laptop have dedicated GPU like nvidia and AMD?If so remove drivers for nvidia/AMD.

kaz

right here
After installing Windows 10 after few days my laptop's subwoofer broke. It started making crackling sounds, donno if it happened over time or by some bad driver.

Also, some time my keyboard stops working. This has happened sometime at lockscreen and also in Google Chrome. After CTRL+ALT+DEL it starts working fine. :|

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Also, some time my keyboard stops working. This has happened sometime at lockscreen and also in Google Chrome. After CTRL+ALT+DEL it starts working fine. :|
I though only I was experiencing this problem.

Keyboard shortcuts work fine but can't type anything in chrome.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
upgraded to Win 10 two days back. looks good and appears slightly snappier than Win 8.1! thanks to @$hadow, @Faun and others for their posts about the installation and troubleshooting. didn't face any problems, except GPU driver-crash once when using chrome y'day (have turned HW-acceleration off now) and a system hang-up while browsing again y'day. also, glad to see IE in a new and better avatar, albeit, digit forum's become unusable on it; can't type anything (earlier, it was unstable on IE).

Hrishi

First BSOD encountered on Win10. *images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/10/a9b8ef10c24e3716fd0d099f6260a240.jpg

ashs1

Padawan
hi guys..i installed windows 10 around 40 days back on y510p. 2 days back i reset the pc..the process was easy and simple.. i had no problems..now when i installed games on it ( dragonball xenoverse, injustice god among us ), they show error : unable to launch application 0xc000007b..
these games used to work flawlessly before i reset my pc, but now they show error.. :(
i have installed direct x, visual c++( every version) & dot net framework 4.5 comes with windows 10..i have also updated the windows 10 to latest builds, nvidia drivers & still the problem persists..

i think installing y510p's windows 8.1 drivers over windows 10 would be uneccessary, right ?? lenovo hasn't released y510p's windows 10 drivers yet.

what do i do now ???? :(

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Bug:
Brightness control gets inverted after resuming the laptop from hibernation. If the brightness was set low before, it automatically get high after resuming.

Temporary Fix:
Update the Display Adapter drivers from Device Manager itself. Browse for Driver Software and Pick from the list of device drivers already installed.
Or just restart the laptop.

Waiting for a permanent fix. Hope its not too late.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Does anyone know how to set data card(Dial up connection) as metered in Win 10?

if you hope there is an option like that which helps you not to have automatic update installation, then you are wrong!
otherwise, you might need to use some net limiting applications like netbalancer(paid version only. you can try trial though) to completely block svchost from accessing internet.
microsoft is silently downloading windows 10 even on PCs that are not reserved for the update and makes a hilarious comment for that :lol:

Top Bottom