Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Veteran ... 3/10 . Crappy movie.

Fatal Attraction .. have not finished it yet but looks very interesting and hell yeah! I like movies form the 80's ;-) if possible suggest me some ( a huge list may be ) ...

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Please suggest some good 3D movies.

Did you but a 3DTV :cool: or do you plan on watching the red/cyan anaglyph 3D like me . :lol:

Anyhow , here is my list :
My Bloody Valentine
Titanic 3D
The Polar Express
The Adventure of Tintin
Megamind
Pina
UP
How To Train your Dragon
Toy Story 3
Hugo
Wrath Of the Titans
Transformers 3 (in some parts)
Life of Pi
Tron Legacy
Beowulf

Watched Superman Returns (2006) 6.5/10 I would only say this that it was a pretty good action movie but nowhere near a good Superman film , I have high hopes for Man Of Steel.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
My contribution to this thread after a long time. Well, I did post about IM3 but that movie was seen in a theater so ...not a conventional movie viewing for me.

Chinese Zodiac 5.5/10

Jackie Chan still has the moves, Rest of the movie is, well...

Silver Lining Playbook 7.5/10

I don't know why Jennifer Lawrence got Oscar for this. Did she act better than "Meg Ryan" as she did in "When harry met sally" or "Ket Winslet" as she did in "Eternal sunshine of the beautiful mind". This question arises as her role is quite similar to roles these ladies played.
Movie is good but a bit lengthy. I would say Bradley Cooper did better than Jennifer Lawrence here.

rajatGod512

N00B Troller

I don't know why Jennifer Lawrence got Oscar for this. Did she act better than "Meg Ryan" as she did in "When harry met sally" or "Ket Winslet" as she did in "Eternal sunshine of the beautiful mind". This question arises as her role is quite similar to roles these ladies played.
Movie is good but a bit lengthy. I would say Bradley Cooper did better than Jennifer Lawrence here.

I fully agree . :+1:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Don't know about Meg Ryan's coz i haven't seen "When harry met sally" but she was definitely better than kate in "Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind" Her acting far far exceeds her age actually. She was totally unpredictable in the movie with over the top dialogue delivery, and that psychotic tinge in her character was brilliantly played, matching the plot in every sense. Agreed on your rating though.

Bradley was obviously great but jennifer had a more pivotal role that helped shape the movie. Thus the oscar. :)

Oh my friend (telugu) - 6/10 (9/10 for shruti hassan's performance:toast:)

What can i say except that this is my second telugu movie. I'm not a fan of bollywood and a few recent movies that i've seen really pales in comparison against the likes what i'm experiencing from their southern counterpart. This movie really has lots of emotions and gives a clear message that true friendship really goes a long way irrespective of gender, caste or any form of social discrimination. Plot sounds easy and predictable but the characters really fill it with life especially the part played by shruti hassan. Her skills are noteworthy and the way she has handled her open-minded character is really worth a view. Fantastic display of emotions.:whistleblower: Reminds me of "heavy rain". Quantic dream can really use some of these inputs for their facial animations. :)

P.S - I have no understanding of any south Indian languages, but English subtitles were enough for me.

Last edited:

ajayritik

Technomancer
Oh my friend (telugu) - 6/10 (9/10 for shruti hassan's performance:toast:)

What can i say except that this is my second telugu movie. I'm not a fan of bollywood and a few recent movies that i've seen really pales in comparison against the likes what i'm experiencing from their southern counterpart. This movie really has lots of emotions and gives a clear message that true friendship really goes a long way irrespective of gender, caste or any form of social discrimination. Plot sounds easy and predictable but the characters really fill it with life especially the part played by shruti hassan. Her skills are noteworthy and the way she has handled her open-minded character is really worth a view. Fantastic display of emotions.:whistleblower: Reminds me of "heavy rain". Quantic dream can really use some of these inputs for their facial animations. :)

P.S - I have no understanding of any south Indian languages, but English subtitles were enough for me.

I have a feeling you watched this coz of availability of this movie in HD quality. Aren't you a good friend of Sunil? Which city are you from?

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Here's the list man, bolded are my fav. :)

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Paths of Glory (1957)
The Longest Day (1962)
The Great Escape (1963)
Battle of the Bulge (1965)
The Dirty Dozen (1967)
Where Eagles Dare (1968)
Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)
Cross of Iron (1977)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Das Boot (1981)
Come and See (1985)
Platoon (1986)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Empire of the Sun (1987)
Good Morning, Vietnam (1987)
Schindler's List (1993)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
The Thin Red Line (1998)
U-571 (2000)
Black Hawk Down (2001)
The Pianist (2002)
Downfall (2004)
Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
Valkyrie (2008)
Inglourious Basterds (2009)
Thanks for the list will add in my watch list. Btw. here's my watchlist will add your suggestive movie as well :)

1) Apocalypse Now (1979) : During the U.S.-Viet Nam War, Captain Willard is sent on a dangerous mission into Cambodia to assassinate a renegade colonel who has set himself up as a god among a local tribe.

2) The train (1964) Watched it today oh man what a movie just spellbound
" In 1944, a German colonel loads a train with French art treasures to send to Germany. The Resistance must stop it without damaging the cargo. (133 mins.)

3) The Counterfeiters (2007): The Counterfeiters is the true story of the largest counterfeiting operation in history, set up by the Nazis in 1936

4) The Guns of Navarone (1961) : A British team is sent to cross occupied Greek territory and destroy the massive German gun emplacement that commands a key sea channel.

5) This Land Is Mine (1941) : A mild-mannered schoolteacher in a Nazi occupied town during WWII finds himself being torn between collaboration and resistance.

6) Destination Tokyo (1943): In order to provide information for the first air raid over Tokyo, a U.S. submarine sneaks into Tokyo Bay and places a spy team ashore

7) Operation Petticoat (1959): World War 2 comedy about a submarine commander who finds himself stuck with a decrepit (and pink) sub, a con-man executive officer and a group of army nurses

8) A Bridge Too Far (1977): A historic telling of the failed attempt to capture several bridges to Germany in World War II in a campaign called Operation Market-Garden.

9) The Longest Day (1962): The events of D-Day, told on a grand scale from both the Allied and German points of view.

10) Three Kings (1999): In the aftermath of the Persian Gulf War, 4 soldiers set out to steal gold that was stolen from Kuwait, but they discover people who desperately need their help

11) Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) : In 1948, an American court in occupied Germany tries four Nazi judges for war crimes

12) Letters from Iwo Jima (2006): The story of the battle of Iwo Jima between the United States and Imperial Japan during World War II, as told from the perspective of the Japanese who fought it.

13) Battle of Britain (1969): In 1940, the British Royal Air Force fights a desperate battle vs. the Nazi Germany Air Force for control of British air space to prevent a Nazi invasion of Britain

14) Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) A dramatization of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the series of American blunders that allowed it to happen. mins.)

15) Patton (1970) : The World War II phase of the controversial American general's career is depicted.

16) Battle of the Bulge (1965): In the winter of 1944, the Allied Armies stand ready to invade Germany at the coming of a New Year. To prevent this occurrence..

17) Von Ryan's Express (1965): An American POW leads a group mainly British prisoners to escape from the Germans in WWII.

18) Platoon (1986) : A young recruit in Vietnam faces a moral crisis when confronted with the horrors of war and the duality of man. (120 mins.)

19) Valkyrie (2008): Based on actual events, a plot to assassinate Hitler is unfurled during the height of WWII. (121 mins.)

20) Black Hawk Down (2001) : 123 elite U.S. soldiers drop into Somalia to capture two top lieutenants of a renegade warlord and find themselves in a desperate battle with a large force of heavily-armed Somalis

21) The Hurt Locker (2008) Forced to play a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse in the chaos of war, an elite Army bomb squad unit must come together in a city where everyone is a potential enemy and every object could be a deadly bomb

22) Inglorious B@stards (2009) : In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a plan to assassinate Nazi leaders by a group of Jewish U.S. soldiers coincides with a theatre owner's vengeful plans for the same

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I have a feeling you watched this coz of availability of this movie in HD quality. Aren't you a good friend of Sunil? Which city are you from?

No mate, that wasn't the reason. Although i did watch the 720p rip, the real reason was that recently i've become a huge fan of shruti hassan after watching 7 aum Arivu. Her entire filmography ( excluding the past bollywood ones are in my list of must watch movies). The girl brings extreme innocence and simplicity to the picture. My first and only favorite indian actress. :)

You mean S_V right ? I know Sunil through TDF only and never met him. We talk sometimes and yes he's a good friend of mine. I'm from cuttack odisha, thus no understanding of southern languages. :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Back from Iron Man 3. good movie, was a little boring in the beginning, but the pace picked up a little. there were some "technical issues" but can ignore them :p. Saw it in 2D. d3p liked it too

I was expecting very explosive ending, but okay with the one shown. Mandarin was such a facepalm moment for me :D as I was "very convinced" and I didn't see it coming at all :clap2: so kudos for the writer, we were literally thinking WTF is going on!!!!! :D . Expected more screen space for Guy Pearce, he was good, but studio should have used him more.

We waited end credits scene but it was getting late so we left..

7/10

amjath

Human Spambot
Back from Iron Man 3. good movie, was a little boring in the beginning, but the pace picked up a little. there were some "technical issues" but can ignore them :p. Saw it in 2D. d3p liked it too

I was expecting very explosive ending, but okay with the one shown. Mandarin was such a facepalm moment for me :D as I was "very convinced" and I didn't see it coming at all :clap2: so kudos for the writer, we were literally thinking WTF is going on!!!!! :D . Expected more screen space for Guy Pearce, he was good, but studio should have used him more.

7/10

Everyone here did not like the way mandarin was treated. Tbh I don't know who is that character and what makes u people so upset that he was not treated well. Can u guys explain?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ use Spoiler man

SPOILER ALERT.. do not read if you haven't seen the movie.
Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) is the mandarin (he says that in the end), he used Ben Kingsley's character as the face of mandarin to spread panic(paid actor) he wasn't even there in those terrorist scenes(he says they used green screens to superimpose his character into those videos) , and he(Guy) went on to do his business without being in the limelight.

Last edited:

cyborg47

Technomancer
Everyone here did not like the way mandarin was treated. Tbh I don't know who is that character and what makes u people so upset that he was not treated well. Can u guys explain?

Would you be happy with The Dark Knight, if Joker turns out to be an actor/comedian, and not the actual psychopath you were expecting from the marketing and trailers.
Some people like the IM3 twist though, I guess it all depends on your expectations on Mandarin based on the trailers or any other promotional material.
"Some people call me a terrorist. I consider myself a comedian"
:p

d3p

PowerHouse

7/10

I would rate it 8/10. Would have given 9/10, if the fireworks were much more intense in the End & would have utilized GUY PEARCE properly.

Ending was soooooo Fast, didn't get time to take a breathe

TBH I just hate the Tony Stark thing & his Crome-Red-Blue Suit & his money. The only thing i love about him ; is his "HOUSE" at "10880 Malibu Point".

Ironman 3 was too good compared to the 1 & 2 at most of the places, but as mentioned by Rcuber, it was way too boring in the initial.
Anyway Tony learned his lesson & may be we won't see & digest Ironman4 any more.

Jarvis....was too Good. Infact i feel without Jarvis, Tony was too close to meet his Creator.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@d3p:

sadly the post credit scene is not about any upcoming movie. its just Tony talking and Dr. Banner sleeping. :(

Top Bottom