Microsoft Ceases AutoPatcher Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
gx_saurav said:
:D Good luck installing & updating, then installing the packages to do your work, then installing the packages to play mp3 & DivX, then installing the package to start using notepad on Linux via internet on dial up.

Linux is useless with Dial Up

hey gx, plz plz plz stop hating linux yaar. It's not that much boring & geeky. Have u ever enjoyed compiz-fusion? Vista's Desktop effects are no where in front of it.
Check these two YouTube videos...
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9FgLr9oTk

And I'm using Linux on Dial-up. I never updated my Linux & still I'm SAFE now than when I was using Windows !!!

And another beleif that Linux can't play MP3... huh... I feel pity on ur Linux knowledge bro....:(

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
shirish_nagar said:
hey gx, plz plz plz stop hating linux yaar. It's not that much boring & geeky. Have u ever enjoyed compiz-fusion? Vista's Desktop effects are no where in front of it.

And I'm using Linux on Dial-up. I never updated my Linux & still I'm SAFE now than when I was using Windows !!!

And another beleif that Linux can't play MP3... huh... I feel pity on ur Linux knowledge bro....:(

Linux can play mp3, tell me if Ubuntu or Zenwalk can play them by default without updating or installing package via internet

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Get linux mint, dreamlinux, pclinuxOS, sabayon and at least 10 other distros that bundle MP3 support! Or is that so hard? :-?:rolleyes:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
kalpik said:
^^ Get linux mint, dreamlinux, pclinuxOS, sabayon and at least 10 other distros that bundle MP3 support! Or is that so hard? :-?:rolleyes:

Yes...its very hard to download 700 MB ISO on dial UP.

kalpik

That's the reason we have this thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32787
At least you can get YOUR choice of linux for just the price of media and courier (less than 50 bucks), out of which, media price you anyway have to pay even if you download it.. So that just leaves courier charges (not more than 20-30 bucks within india). And im sure somone who can afford a dial up and a PC, can afford to spare 20 bucks.. Now is POSTING in a thread THAT hard for you?

Last edited:

kalpik

^^ Dont bother shirish, he JUST doesnt understand.. He just argues for the sake of arguing..

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Easy way to boost your knowledge and productivity AND reduce any hair-fall cases - Click Here.

Not a spam link, please click for the heck of it atleast.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
@gx,

have u watched those videos???

Or should I give u "Link" ?? I'll NOT stay u waiting... (as u)

ohhh Qwerty !!! Thanks for such a nice link !!! ;-)

helllooooo gx .... where are you ???

or gone with gf ?? :D

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I guess the Purpose of this thread is over. How will some update his Linux Distro say DreamLinux on DialUp....I just wonder.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I can servive without updating my Linux, thn why to bother?
BTW, without updating also, many linux distros are secure than Windows. Isn't it?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
shirish_nagar said:
I can servive without updating my Linux, thn why to bother?

Good, you can also live without updaing Windows XP SP2 box just fine. :)...there are so many people I see who only have SP2 installed & no other updates.

Except for .net 3.0, Windows Installer 3.1 etc which install automatically when a software which needs them installs

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
QwertyManiac said:
Easy way to boost your knowledge and productivity AND reduce any hair-fall cases - Click Here.

I did that ages back, too. Also, added his chotte nawab to the list too.

praka123

left this forum longback
@qwerty:gr8 Link dude! but u forgot another link which is like chamcha of original link given :rolleyes:

btwn aptoncd can take care of updates in ubuntu.something on the same way is for fedora too.

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Hey you guys are entirely going Off topic
[OFF TOPIC]we are discussing AutoPatcher Project from where did linux came in question

No use of Ranting!
One should be happy with the OS He/She uses
thats it
[/OFF TOPIC]

Now what can be done?
The more I think about the situation... the more I AM SURE this is all a basic misunderstanding by the "internet investigator" (probably a 3rd party - subcontractor) for Microsoft about the content and intent of AutoPatcher.

Specifically in the C&D notice is the list of OPERATING SYSTEMS and this indicates a mistaken notion that AutoPatcher represents a distribution method that would infringe upon Microsofts property rights and ability to make a profit from the sale of its products. I don't think the "investigator" recognized that AutoPatcher contains only Hotfixes, Patches, Updates, QFE's, and the like.

I'm almost certain that permission to redistribute these elements IS OBTAINABLE from Microsoft through their legal department.

From my posts yesterday in the comments section on the AP Sites - latest news section

cme4pc Says:
August 30th, 2007 at 1:31 pm

*www.microsoft.com/about/legal/permi...efault.mspx#ECG

Site for obtaining permission to redistribute hotfixes and patches.

“For questions about redistribution of hotfixes, updates, and QFEs, call (425) 882-8080 and ask to speak with a Product Support Services representative”

PLEASE NOTE - if it were illegal for a 3rd Party (autopatcher) to distribute MS updates, hotfixes, etc., then why would MS have this information posted on their legal divisions website?

There is undoubtedly a way for AutoPatcher to obtain official and legal permission to continue on with its project. To comply with MS guidelines, it may be necessary to have seperate AP programs, one that merely installs and verifies MS components. A second AP to handle all other 3rd party components, plugins, modules, etc.

I hope this info is getting through and not lost in all the rantings .....

I would also suggest close examination and confirmation of the CONTENT of the C&D letter. Forget any conversations previously (why we are here in the current dilemna in the first place) and seek written confirmation / authorization.... you guys HAVE to get names, numbers, note time and dates of conversations and correspondence and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!!! Insist on written permission from MS Legal then go tell this "internet investigator" what he can do with his little C&D order.

I sent messages to MS's Public Relations subcontractor.... the firm MS hires to mitigate all the "MS IS AN EVIL EMPIRE" image that exists in the media and public... I linked them to the stories, forums, and comment sections so that they would be aware of all the ill will this "internet investigator" is causing for their employer.

Take this battle and fight it on two fronts.... Legal and Public Relations.... links to legal above... links to PR below...

cme4pc Says:
August 30th, 2007 at 1:08 pm
Interesting reading from the MS site….

*www.microsoft.com/about/legal/intel...ty/default.mspx

*www.microsoft.com/about/legal/intel...repreneurs.mspx

“Microsoft partners with entrepreneurs around the world in order to encourage innovation.”

Clearly this is in conflict with the take down notice….

List of PR contacts at MS:

*www.microsoft.com/presspass/PR_Contacts.mspx

These are from my posts on the AP SITES LATEST NEWS and most likely LOST IN THE FLOOD of responses.

*www.autopatcher.com/134#more-134

Comments #429, 447, and 452 - 453

As described there, I have over 25 years experience in this industry and KNOW for a fact that MS would not intentionally do something that would inflame a large group of international customers such as what is occuring as a result of this "internet investigator" (what credentials does one have to have to obtain such a title anyway?) issuing an UNENFORCEABLE C&D.

Is this guy/gal even a lawyer... Is this someone in the direct employ of MS or otherwise fully authorized to act on behalf of Microsoft???... or is this some non computer literate intern working with a private investigator??? IS THIS APPARENT / OSTENSIBLE AUTHORITY or VALID AUTHORITY behind this order?

From where does this person draw authorization to act on behalf of MS??

Look ... a C&D is not a court order. It's simply a way for a company to say stop doing something that we THINK infringes on our legal rights and if you don't THEN we will file suit. THERE IS NO VIOLATION OF LAW ignoring an UNENFORCEABLE C&D order.

It doesn't take clarification from MS to restore the AP Site and forums.... by the letter of the C&D order, it's intent was to prevent illegal distribution of OPERATING SYSTEMS.... no judge anywhere / anytime is going to hold you to honor this document because YOU ARE NOT DISTRIBUTING MS PRODUCTS ILLEGALLY, maybe without official permission... but there is huge difference.... I am not a lawyer (but have studied law) and I'd urge you to consult with a good patent/copyright attorney in ref to any legal obligation to honor the C&D in the first place. Maybe you guys were speeding... but this is a stop sign ticket..... and as such is unenforceable.

The C&D order is also challengable on the grounds of that MS has allowed the practice of 3rd party patch distribution systems for years with full awareness of their existence and did nothing when such activity was first noticed. Therefore, an argument against the validity / enforceability against the C&D order could be made on the principle grounds of estoppel.

Challenge this ... investigate the investigator... contact MS Legal for written permission to redistribute... rage against the machine.....

Best of luck and I'll be proud and honored to fight in the trenches alongside you guys...

Taken from neowin.net

mediator

Technomancer
shirish_nagar said:

kalpik said:
^^ Get linux mint, dreamlinux, pclinuxOS, sabayon and at least 10 other distros that bundle MP3 support! Or is that so hard? :???::rolleyes:
U guys don't get it do u? Its anotha way to get MVP status by praising MS,Windows, their products, their actions no matter how much u have to loosen up ur brain screws!! Just read the MVP nomination form, understand it and then u'll urself realise the importance of ignoring such statements made in desperation!! :oops:

praka123

left this forum longback
^yeah.to a certain extent few are may be here to get a MVP(microsoft valued proffessional) thats the main reason. :cry: for that terawindows.com is there OK?oh!forgot teraoffice.com :rolleyes:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mediator said:
U guys don't get it do u? Its anotha way to get MVP status by praising MS,Windows, their products, their actions no matter how much u have to loosen up ur brain screws!!

How long have u been here? I used to by a Microsoft justification guy even before becoming an MVP. Thats has nothing to do with it.

Just read the MVP nomination form, understand it and then u'll urself realise the importance of ignoring such statements made in desperation!!

How come u were reading & interested in "Microsoft" MVP form? :D

to a certain extent few are may be here to get a MVP

Which again means that getting an MVP award is more popular then any Linux award (if any)

chinmay

Journeyman
QwertyManiac said:

Yes, thats the best solution for anyone who wants to visit this forum for knowledge and real discussion of technology.

Though, when it comes to me, I don't think there is a scope of gaining anything from this forum anymore. I loved to post in this place 2 years back but thanks to 'these' guys now I visit this forum just to read the daily nonsensical irritant of a post made by people like these. Its fun watching stupid fanboys backing their masters/software like a faithful whore.

When I have nothing to do I sit and think how much fun would it be picking one of the fanboys, getting hold of their phone numbers, abuse their OS on voice and hear them dying a little inside. Yeah, I think I am a sadist.

People need to grow up, but they choose not to. So, people like me enjoy at their expense. Its a sad bad world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom