Microsoft Ceases AutoPatcher Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
How long have u been here? I used to by a Microsoft justification guy even before becoming an MVP. Thats has nothing to do with it.
Justification before becoming an MVP => to be an MVP? Maintaining that record may be to get some job in MS? :neutral: Good for u!

How come u were reading & interested in "Microsoft" MVP form?
No comments! :D

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
gx_saurav said:
Nah...I applied for a Job in MS India for UI designer, 5 years exp required....

5 years exp in what ??? Just tell them that U R supporting Windows (without any condition) more than 5 years... Give them some links of THIS forum.
Chances are very high that they will choose you dude... :D

Just HURRY UP !!!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
plz close this thread. its going too offtopic which there is a not solution for the damn bloody problem: autopatcher! i was busy at my uncle's office all day today working the 'hard' way :(

din

Tribal Boy
Man

This may be long but really touching ..

AutoPatcher was started around the time of the so called Blaster worm. It was actually quite a shocking point in the history of the Windows platform. Any Windows XP computer connected to the Internet was almost-instantaneously infected and required an update. Trouble was, how we you to get this update when connecting your computer to the Internet would trigger a nasty restart count-down? Yes, those who knew the where-abouts knew they could abort the restart sequence, but that's not something that the average Joe knows.

And more at *www.autopatcher.com/137#more-137

Antonis Kaladis, please continue. We all love autopatcher.

Edit

Antonis Kaladis, the Project Manager & Lead Developer is just 20 yr ! WOW.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah din, i read it.... and don't you think some ppl here behave jus like MS? speak widout actually using it????

hope they come out wid something before others come out wid unofficial harmful packs!

mavihs

Techie By Heart
hope a new worm or virus starts doing the rounds just like mentioned above & the only way is to update ur computer offline. that the only way MS will anderstand & they may forget about shutting the autopatcher project.

din

Tribal Boy
For the last 4 yrs, Autopatcher was here and a lot of people / comapnies / sys admins benefited from it. MS didn't utter a word about it. Remember the same MS closed down websites which are just similar to the name - Microsoft - within days. So for 4 yrs Autopatcher was good for MS and all of a sudden they *found* it is not secure, it is not clean !! Amazing ;) (can't blame em, may be they were all busy fixin the bugs in Win and didn't get time to check Autopatcher)

@infra_red_dude

Yes, exactly. I really hope they come back

And all those great personalities, sys admins and geeks (?) and kids blindly support MS in each and everything, here is something for you. A must read.

*www.autopatcher.com/137#more-137

Antonis Kaladis, the Project Manager & Lead Developer very nicely answered the MS lovers comments.

Read it after removing the 'Biased' spectacles ;)

@ƒire$eeker

Yes, MS never even learn from their mistake ! Autopatcher was a great help for MS actually.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The reason the auther gave was good, 4 years ago but not today. What was the condition of broadbad all over the world & what is it today? Think about that..

U think MS didn't learned from blaster worm, they fixed & re-wrote the backend which was affected by blaster worm in Vista.

See, it simmply goes like this. If you have internet somewhere to download autopatcher monthly packs then u also have internet to download Windows Update automatically which are usually 5 -10 MB.

For offlines installation u can simply go to Microsoft Download center, select to download all the Updates for Windows XP released this month, then go to someone else'e home & install there. If you can download 50 or 100 MB of monthly autopatcher update, then u can also go to MS download center & download all the updates for XP released this month which won't be more then 40 or 50 MB too.

In case of Vista things are changed, the old packaging method for updates is no longer there. Now the MSU files contain only the updated file & not the installation engine. This further lowers the download size.

I have myself wrote a mail to Microsoft feedback about this. I old them to re-think autopatcher but this time make a few conditions like for Windows XP

1) Release package 1 containing only the updates. No 3rd party package

2) Command Line switches for easier integration in XP CD & deployment

3) All the packages which needs WGA to install, check for it.

4) No registry tweaks or uxtheme.dll patch or other such things included.

With this tell autopatcher team to release another pack with

1) 3rd party apps like JAVA runtime

2) Registry tweaks, or uxtheme.dll patch etc

For Windows Vista things are different.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
^But still in India,dialup users are more than those with broadband.It is very costly to download 40-50 MB updates on dialup.I went to a cyber & told him about dwld,he said he will take rs.5 extra.

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
The reason the auther gave was good, 4 years ago but not today. What was the condition of broadbad all over the world & what is it today? Think about that..

Nothing is as easy / simple / convinient as autopatcher. Period. Please ask someone who use autopatcher and who used the online update and you will get he answer. Broadband is not everywhere (read the comments in the autopatcher site where people from US tell they have 56K conn or less speed). And even with broadband or decent internet connection, autopatcher is better option and not online update. Again, Please ask someone who use autopatcher and who used the online update.

gx_saurav said:
U think MS didn't learned from blaster worm, they fixed & re-wrote the backend which was affected by blaster worm in Vista.

Common man whose PC affected by the blaster worm had to use another OS (may be win 98 or anything) to get the patch for XP. Whats the guarantee that these type of problems will not come again to attack XP ?

And moving Vista is the only / best solution ? People are more happy with XP than Vista, instaed of spending $$ on upgrades. The discussion is mainly on Autopatcher for XP.

gx_saurav said:
If you can download 50 or 100 MB of monthly autopatcher update, then u can also go to MS download center & download all the updates for XP released this month which won't be more then 40 or 50 MB too.

Lot of people used the Autopatcher that came in magazine CDs and NOT by downloading it. For the last 4 years, no PC magazine carried the MS updates regularly but most had the autopatcher updates. There must be some reason and we do not know. I do not think magazines will carry these updates in future too.

gx_saurav said:
In case of Vista things are changed, the old packaging method for updates is no longer there. Now the MSU files contain only the updated file & not the installation engine. This further lowers the download size.

May be, but a lot of people are using XP still, all these may not upgrade to Vista too. So again, moving to Vista is the only solution - does not sound as a nice idea.

gx_saurav said:
I have myself wrote a mail to Microsoft feedback about this. I old them to re-think autopatcher but this time make a few conditions like for Windows XP

We all really hope they consider your email seriously ;) As you support MS very strongly everywhere, they should consider it. Hope we will get the Autopatcher back.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
And even with broadband or decent internet connection, autopatcher is better option and not online update. Again, Please ask someone who use autopatcher and who used the online update.

Wait, downloading 50 MB autopatcher is better then 10 MB automatic updates :confused:

Whats the guarantee that these type of problems will not come again to attack XP ?

Windows XP SP2 & the changes it bought to the kernel.

MS has a business to run. They cannot let pirated users use such updates. Well...this was one way to curb the problem

sakumar79

Technomancer
@gx - not downloading 50B autopatcher, but getting it with your favourite magazine on CD is more convenient than downloading 10MB windows updates... As a sysadmin at my office, I preferred using AutoPatcher for its ease of distribution compared to using updates since only one comp is connected to net. I know MS updates has an offline update mechanism available, but Autopatcher was way easier...

Arun

shantanu

Technomancer
"Those who require offline updating that too automatically should check out Offline Update 3.2" (link by our reputed member GX)

Thread - reopened on user request... no flames please..

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
@shantanu - Thank you man.

gx_saurav said:
Wait, downloading 50 MB autopatcher is better then 10 MB automatic updates :confused:

LOL, man, you are not confused ! You are posting the same thing many times in this thread !!

Why download autopatcher ? A lot of PC magazines around the world carries the autopatcher updates every month. Just check the Indian magazines alone. Those who do not have a fast net conn, forget about download, get a CD. Sys admins always carry useful tools and updates in CDs and they never relie on online things too much and autopatcher was a great relief for them too.

gx_saurav said:
MS has a business to run. They cannot let pirated users use such updates. Well...this was one way to curb the problem

Do you really think this will stop all piracy ? hmm, sorry, prefer to disagree. Who made the WGA patch within hrs (or minutes ?) when MS added it ? Was that autopatcher ?

Autopatcher was never promoting piracy. A lot of Genuine Win users were using autopatcher. Shutting down autopatcher will never stop piracy at all too. People are not that crazy that they all will move to Win Vista just coz MS closed down Autopatcher. Those who are using pirated win and who do not wish to buy genuine will find their own ways. And it will continue too.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
WGA was cracked within few hours of it's release and if M$ stopped autopatcher to curb piracy then they have made a big blunder once again and I am not surprised.

din

Tribal Boy
Blaming MS coz they stopped something which was very useful for Genuine users of Win.

@gx_saurav, this is not for making you angry, asking seriously. Did you receive any reply form MS regarding your suggestion for Autopatcher ? I read somewhere (I think its Shantanu) MS send replies to emails within 6 hrs.

Any good news for the Autopatcher lovers ? Please keep us updated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom