Microsoft Ceases AutoPatcher Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
You forgot to take into account how much it needs to download. In case of Linux its usually the main app + helper libraries + dependencies, in case of Windows Update its just one or 2 DLL.
It varies! It may download 18 KB for an overall update or on average 10 MB after a week!! Sometimes/rarely it may touch 100 MB. But that doesn't mean that ur *nix machine wont work without an update!! Like I said before I'm still on FC5 without any update as of yet!!

But in case of windows, its no big secret that even VISTA suffers from incompatibilties and need for proper drivers etc i.e SP1 so that users can make the switch satisfactorily!! How much do u need to update for that? Forget that, how much for aero itself?

U can't even work properly with a newly acquired windows box. Not to forget the "delete" problem it suffers with for which u have to get a fix for!!

So thats certainly not '1 or 2 DLL'.

So it doesn't matter which one i.e Win or Lin, has greater update size coz it may vary time to time. Many *nix distros which aim for desktop ease play multimedia and what is needed out of box unlike windows. For them its just install and do ur work. But for windows we do need to update to even work on it and thats where the autopatcher comes into picture. But tragically MS doesn't understand that!!

din

Tribal Boy
Bill Bhai ...

Seems these guys didn't get a cc of the email you sent ...

*www.getautopatcher.com

Send them the same email fast ........

LOL, just kidding, still available but they will also close down I guess. And this is same as the other autopatcher rt ?

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
mediator said:
So it doesn't matter which one i.e Win or Lin, has greater update size coz it may vary time to time. Many *nix distros which aim for desktop ease play multimedia and what is needed out of box unlike windows. For them its just install and do ur work. But for windows we do need to update to even work on it and thats where the autopatcher comes into picture. But tragically MS doesn't understand that!!
little correction please : Isn't it should be,
For them it's just boot and do ur work ?? ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hey din! beware.. don't send the address to MS!! or be ready to face consequences!! :D i'm downloading autopatcher core and update for my lappy from there now....

din

Tribal Boy
LOL yes, @shirish_nagar, ur avatar drives me crazy lol

Two times i touched my LCD with finger to keep that thing out :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
edit: mediator 10mb average linux system update download??!! i've never seen such a huge general average system update!!!! the ones that are huge are for the apps... i'd say system updates haf an average size of 4mb or so. its only apps like wine etc. which cross the 8mb mark.

lol yea, shirish! but don't change it... i can fool many a frenz wid that! :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
infra_red_dude said:
thats coz its not for my pc (which is on broadband) but for my uncle's PCs on dialup. i think i mentioned it before. even downloading 10mb twice thrice or whatever is waste of time, money and bandwidth. i hope you got my point and then how do i back it up for later use if its automatically done thru windows update?

Go to his home, run Windows Update, that even works fine on Dial Up, then note down the update & download at your place those KBxxxxxx files & install there.

It varies! It may download 18 KB for for an overall update or on average 10 MB!! Sometimes/rarely it may touch 100 MB. But that doesn't mean that ur *nix machine wont work without an update!! Like I said before I'm still on FC5 without any update as of yet!!

It varies...sometimes updates are 200 kb sometimes 10 MB. It doesn't mean that the Windows won't work without updates :D

But in case of windows, its no big secret that even VISTA suffers from incompatibilties and need for proper drivers etc

Wait, drivers? When did MS started providing those other then the ones in Windows Update catalog. Why r u bringing drivers here.

U can't even work properly with a newly acquired windows box. Not to forget the "delete" problem it suffers with for which u have to get a fix for!!

Again...2 MB to download. Why r u bringing that here? Should I say gstreamer is 12 MB to download.

which aim for desktop ease play multimedia and what is needed out of box unlike windows.

Hardly any distro plays mp3 out of the box. Should I count that?

I do understand that auto patcher was easy, yes...but it violates the MS terms of service. Just include WGA in autopatcher so that non-genuine users can't install it then trust me, MS will be happy.

mediator

Technomancer
Ya man! Thats just a general guess. I update like once in several weeks on the ubuntu that I have on lappy! So thats why gave a general guess how much it is, it may be less I dunno!

din

Tribal Boy
Aaaw :(

Poor GX, seems he got angry and decided not to give us the 50 mb iso list links, how sad.

So only way is individual update online ?

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
oohhh... then sorry gx...

please please please.... give us the link. OW, how could we addict to use M$ products ??? ;)

mediator

Technomancer
It varies...sometimes updates are 200 kb sometimes 10 MB. It doesn't mean that the Windows won't work without updates
Shud I say windows needs hotfixes to even work then? ;)

Wait, drivers? When did MS started providing those other then the ones in Windows Update catalog. Why r u bringing drivers here.
Doesn't the autopatcher adds better driver support? :oops:

Again...2 MB to download. Why r u bringing that here? Should I say gstreamer is 12 MB to download.
Shud I say again that it works out of box for many user friendly distroos and therefore no need to download that?

I do understand that auto patcher was easy, yes...but it violates the MS terms of service. Just include WGA in autopatcher so that non-genuine users can't install it then trust me, MS will be happy.
You shud pay more attention to developments in Linux world and distros providing out of box support for such things!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Go to his home, run Windows Update, that even works fine on Dial Up, then note down the update & download at your place those KBxxxxxx files & install there.
oh! its that simple! stupid me!! and all the while i was thinking that the whole point of the discussion was to avoid that! thanks for the simple suggestion! :rolleyes:

gx_saurav said:
lets not deviate from the topic.

gx_saurav said:
i think its been stated before WGA is not the reason. now whatever's the real reason behind this move by MS is immaterial and not appropriate for us to discuss coz we simply dunno the real reason. real reason mebbe WGA only... but as i said we are nobody to decide that!

arey, itna sannata kyun hai bhai!?!?!! :D :D

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ and you came back to post this??!! lol... :D :D :D

ontopic: am downloading autopatcher from that site for my pc. hope its not pulled down before the download completes.....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
thats the problem.. its a direct link.. not a torrent :( and fortunately i'm half way thru for both the files....the speeds are good considering my connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom