Microsoft Ceases AutoPatcher Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
@infra_red_dude

*www.softpedia.com download is also up eventhough they published the news. Try that if other site is closed ..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah din, sure. thanks :)

btw, i caught GX wid his GF in the other thread!! :D :D hehe... sorry, don't take it to heart bro.. jus kidding!

din

Tribal Boy
@infra_red_dude

LOL, you are not allowing him to chat with his gf ? Thats not good.

lol, jk.

Meantime, I saw GX's photo. Man, hes a glamour guy !!! Sure GFs will be behind him always !

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
@infra_red_dude

LOL, you are not allowing him to chat with his gf ? Thats not good.

M free now, back to studies...:D

Meantime, I saw GX's photo. Man, hes a glamour guy !!! Sure GFs will be behind him always !

Aww....thanx for the compliment Din :p(I hope that was a brotherly compliment)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hmmm.. guess all the excitement died out yester nite.. but i'm not leaving it here.. playing around wid autopatcher august now to get hold of individual updates....

i'm also mailing MS regarding this. they should've at least provided an alternative before bringing down autopatcher. bloody hell... they leave no stone unturned to make the lives of genuine users miserable!!! while the pirated community is still unaffected. how much more stupid can MS get??!!

din

Tribal Boy
Another suggestion is - Digit provide the users the 2.8 GB iso file. Even that will help a lot of people and Digit will become more popular by doing it as the first mag ;)

Any Digit guys, listening ?

Or Digit can't re-distribute it ? Any legal issues ?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
Another suggestion is - Digit provide the users the 2.8 GB iso file. Even that will help a lot of people and Digit will become more popular by doing it as the first mag

Good Idea, there shouldn't be any problem in re-distributing the ISO. Once every 6 months or so. MS releases Updates every month, digit can bundle those too...

Another thing I found wrong today in Autopatcher is that they were bundling 3rd party application like JAVA or Firefox or Google Apps along with Microsoft updates, now whats the point of these? This again violates MS ToS. You cannot bundle 3rd party application in a Windows Update Package.

On top of that...there was a donation tab. What the hell...is it some kind of business to re-distribute free updates :confused:

One thing Autopatcher can do is to ask MS, whether they can restart AutoPatcher but this time, they will make a new Package containing only all the Microsoft Updates released after SP2 along with IE 7, WMP11 etc in there unaltered state so that it checks for WGA when installing. No 3rd party non-Microsoft app or registry tweak will be bundled.

With this package, provide a 2nd package more like "Disk 2" of Ubuntu....which contains those 3rd party apps. So if someone wants to update Windows only they can download package 1, which will only update Windows, & if they also want they can download the 2nd package separately.

With this write the statement "Microsoft is not responsible if Autopatcher breaks your Windows OS"

How's that? :D. System Admins can easily download & deploy the Package 1, while home users can download package 1 & package 2 both.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
casanova said:
But everyone is waiting for the link, GX
ok guys.. time to spill the beans.. there's NO ~50mb update iso available to general public! so if you are hoping to get hold of anything of that kind, then forget it!!!

gx_saurav said:
Good Idea, there shouldn't be any problem in re-distributing the ISO. Once every 6 months or so. MS releases Updates every month, digit can bundle those too...
then they'll hafta bundle a DL DVD... thats crap man! 2.8G of updates!!!! thats insane!!

gx_saurav said:
Another thing I found wrong today in Autopatcher is that they were bundling 3rd party application like JAVA or Firefox or Google Apps along with Microsoft updates, now whats the point of these? This again violates MS ToS. You cannot bundle 3rd party application in a Windows Update Package.
autopatcher team never claimed that it is MS which is behind them. they've always maintained that they are jus compiling all the updates and software (only macromedia shockwave/flash plugin, sun java etc. of that kind) and NOT google or firefox apps!!! plz... and unless they advertise it as software from MS and/or reverse engineer the updates i don't think it violates any T&C. correct me if i'm wrong, wid proof of corz!!!

gx_saurav said:
On top of that...there was a donation tab. What the hell...is it some kind of business to re-distribute free updates :confused:
i'm either blind or my windows installation hides everything wid the word "donaton"!!! that is a small link which appears when you click on "about". otherwise there is NO mention of it anywhere. again, they never claim it as MS software and its available as a free download. they are not forcing you to pay (in which case it won't be called as a donation). they are compiling everything for you (more work than MS by simply providing a 2.8G update iso). if u feel like paying then pay otherwise don't. its as simple!

gx_saurav said:
....along with IE 7, WMP11 etc in there unaltered state so that it checks for WGA when installing.
haf you used autopatcher???? widout installing the WGA check ie7 and wmp11 CAN'T be ticked for installation! and nothing has been altered in first place!

gx_saurav said:
No 3rd party non-Microsoft app or registry tweak will be bundled.
what is the use of autopatcher then? they are not bundling any comptt. product (like itunes or wmp or opera or FF). they are bundling essential resources. regarding registry tweak.. as i said before they never claimed to be associated wid MS. so obviously any sane person who installs autopatcher wid tweaks knows that MS is not to be blamed if his system is screwed!

gx_saurav said:
With this package, provide a 2nd package more like "Disk 2" of Ubuntu....which contains those 3rd party apps. So if someone wants to update Windows only they can download package 1, which will only update Windows, & if they also want they can download the 2nd package separately.
thats a good suggestion :) include apps other than essential utilities for a basic installation.

gx_saurav said:
With this write the statement "Microsoft is not responsible if Autopatcher breaks your Windows OS"
read the EULA.

meanwhile, i stumbled upon a useful utility: Windows Update Downloader this utility lists all the updates that are available for the pariticular windows edition and downloads them automatically so that they can be installed offline or slipstreamed. you don't need to manually download each update. jus need to tick what all to download from the list. do try it out. i'm sure this will be pulled down soon too.

MS is very careful in mentioning that WGA is not the reason why they pulled autopatcher coz they kno that if you tick either ie7 or wmp11 or both then wga automatically gets ticked and installed. if you remove wga then these are unticked too. now i'm really very very very curious to know the real reason why MS pulled down autopatcher..... leaving me to pull my hair out! :mad: :mad:

din

Tribal Boy
Very nice post infra_red_dude. Nothing can replace autopatcher's simplicity and ease of use. The 2.8 GB DVD will not be the same as monthly autopatcher update.

Anyway, nothing can be done it seems ..

Yes, all r curious about it - especially before the SP3, MS closed down autopatcher.

blackpearl

The Devil
Don't worry guys. Soon a hack will be available that would allow Autopatcher to be installed. It always happens. So just relax and chill!!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
blackpearl said:
Don't worry guys. Soon a hack will be available that would allow Autopatcher to be installed. It always happens. So just relax and chill!!
its not about a patch to install. autopatcher will cease to exist!!! :(

rajasekharan

Youngling
well, i dont update my xp at all. so autopatcher or patch from microsoft or any other usless update thing dont bother me..:)

just a waist of HDD space.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
how am i supoposed to downlolad with a dial up>???

will MS get me a Broadband connection..

now itself thier product is bug ridden and have holes...

now they stop autopatcher...

where is linux???

where is linux?

a:/ format c:
yes

now will start installing linux...

wow linux rocks

thnks MS

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
naveen_reloaded said:
how am i supoposed to downlolad with a dial up>???

will MS get me a Broadband connection..

now itself thier product is bug ridden and have holes...

now they stop autopatcher...

where is linux???

where is linux?

a:/ format c:
yes

now will start installing linux...

wow linux rocks

thnks MS

:D Good luck installing & updating, then installing the packages to do your work, then installing the packages to play mp3 & DivX, then installing the package to start using notepad on Linux via internet on dial up.

Linux is useless with Dial Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom