CPU/Chipset News

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Intel Haswell-E to Pack Eight Cores, Quad-Channel DDR4 Memory Controller.

These cpu's will shine in highly parallel tasks owing to greater IPC. An eight core haswell-E will bring a new era of multicore computing.

Intel Unleashes Next-Generation Xeon Phi “Knights Landing” Co-Processor.

The next-generation xeon-phi co-processors are unveiled. They have a new architecture, with 14nm fabrication:shock: and 3d trigate transistors. Will come in a 57 core and 61 core avatar and are purely meant for servers applications and supercomputers.

I wonder what anybody will do with these in a desktop environment, if they ever show up in this space. :chinscratch:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
They won't. They're direct competitors to Nivida's CUDA based Tesla supercompute clusters, and as you already know, Xeon Phi will only be available as add-on expansion cards and as direct addons in blade servers.

Basically with this line, Intel is trying hard to state that it is still relevant in the supercompute space (Tesla has been eating away Intel's share for quite some time in this space).

It would make no sense for Intel to even fathom operating this in the consumer space.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Vicky, they are not CPU; they are co-processor to accelerate parallel processing and targeted for High performance Computing environments like Super Computers, Wether prediction, DNA calculation etc. You don't need to wonder because they won't come in Desktop environment.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
^^ Vicky, they are not CPU; they are co-processor to accelerate parallel processing and targeted for High performance Computing environments like Super Computers, Wether prediction, DNA calculation etc. You don't need to wonder because they won't come in Desktop environment.

Exactly. They're not even X86. They're 96-bit VLIW units.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Exactly. They're not even X86. They're 96-bit VLIW units.

Wrong, they are fully x86. Being a vector unit, they support intel's 512 bit SIMD instruction set that intel calls "initial many core instructions" or IMCI.
They also support FMA3 and other integer instructions found in regular x86 instructions.

Owing to their vector nature, they can also be programmed for open-cl, fortran and c++.
X86 memory management is also found here.

This isn't VLIW!!!! It rather shares architectural similarities with GCN.

Intel widens Xeon Phi HPC coprocessor lineup

The pitch that Intel's salespeople have to make to push Xeon Phi x86-based co-processors just got a little easier and more interesting. And in the same week that a hybrid Xeon-Xeon Phi machine - China's Tianhe-2 - took the title as the fastest supercomputer in the world.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually Xeon Phi is a derivative from Intel's research of Intel Many Integrated Core Architecture or Intel MIC which incorporate many ideas like SIMD design, Teraflop Research Chip and the original P5 mcroarchitecture powering Pentium. The 96 Bit VLIW was present in the experimental Teraflops Research chip but Xeon Phi is different and based on x86 based P5 architecture. It uses different technologies like intercore communication methods, per-chip power management derived from Teraflops Research Chip and larabee design.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
There is an interesting catch here.

Starting from "Knights Landing" based Xeon phi, they will not only be a co-processor but also act as a standalone processor.
It can swing both ways i.e act as a multicore cpu or an offload processor when combined with xeon.

It also sports unified memory just like PS4. Its yet to be decided if Intel will go with DDR4 or GDDR5 as a common memory pool.

Intel is mimicking HSA here terming it as "Neo Heterogeneity" Previous xeon-phi's resembled p54c architecture on a per core basis. This one is probably something new. The original P5 design might be modified here.

Some interesting info can be found below:

Intel previews future 'Knights Landing' Xeon Phi x86 coprocessor with integrated memory ? The Register

Intel announces 14nm Knights Landing processor in Xeon Phi update - IT News from V3.co.uk

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Intel Skylake to Bring AVX 3.2, DDR4, PCI Express 4.0, Other Innovations - Slide.

Intel is investing a whopping $4.1 billion on next-gen chip development i.e skylake.

When it comes to performance, the new processors will support new AVX 3.2 instructions, which will bring additional speed in optimized programs; furthermore, the new chips are likely to feature certain AMD HSA-like functionality (e.g. unified memory addressing), which will simplify usage of integrated graphics engine for general-purpose apps.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
check this out :

*www.techpowerup.com/img/13-09-01/Intel_Sep2013_CPU_list.jpg

Intel Rolls Out New Haswell and Ivy Bridge Processors | techPowerUp

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's already available on newegg at $199 and Intel cpus don't take much time to show in our markets so you can expect it on this month or next unlike AMD FX 6300 and 4300 which took ages to be available here ;)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
it's already available on newegg at $199 and Intel cpus don't take much time to show in our markets so you can expect it on this month or next unlike AMD FX 6300 and 4300 which took ages to be available here ;)

How much is FX 6300 and FX 4300 here in India.

ankush28

Bazinga
AMD also recommends the use of water cooling as
well as a minimum of a 1200 W power supply,
though the latter might be slight overkill

Is this true about FX-9000 series :eek:
Asus Lists 990FX Motherboards with FX-9000 CPU Support

AMD certified room heaters for coming winter :lol: :rofl:

Top Bottom