CPU/Chipset News

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
This is one of the two dedicated NEWS Channels that have been created after much request by many!

And I think I don't have to say anything else to it.

MOD EDIT:

Post all those zillions of gossips you find in the internet not in seperate threads but here. It becomes hard to manage a hell lot of news items which may or may not be true or which may not be significant enough for threads.

This thread has been stuck for a reason: To avoid clutter in tech news section.

=====================================================================================
Phenom II X2 550 @ 102$
Athlon II X2 250 @ 87$

AMD plans to launch two dual cores among many energy efficient CPUs and this will all take place on Tuesday June 2nd at Computex.

We managed to get the prices as Athlon II X2 250 based on Regor dual core and it works at 3.0GHz, has 1MB L2 cache per core and 65W TDP. The best of all is that it will sell for really affordable $87.

Faster of two and unlocked one is Phenom II X2 550 Black edition, based on Calisto core works at 3.1Ghz has 6MB L3 cache and 2x512KB L2 and this multiplier unlocked CPU has 80W TDP and will sell for $102.

*www.fudzilla.com/content/view/13929/1/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

Re: INTEL/AMD NEWS Channel

^
But the X2 250 has a price cut potential, because it's Cost Of Production is much lower than the 70$ X2 7xxx series. This won't be the case with X2 550, because essentially, it's a quad-core with two cores disabled.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

^^ I don't think that will be possible. AMD will definitely sell EE processors for the same price as non-EE. Whereas INTEL sells it for a higher price.

Nice blog. Anyway, I am interested in the Die size of the Athlon II (dual, tri and quad) CPUs. I heard L3 cache removal reduces die.

If they manufacture Athlon II Duals directly, without harvesting from quads, they can sell like hot cakes if they are priced around 50$.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

Yes, but useless AMD manufactures only 2 CPUs, a quad core with L3 cahce, and one w/o and both are quad cores. They then harvest that procc and makes sooo many others!

Yes, but useless AMD manufactures only 2 CPUs, a quad core with L3 cahce, and one w/o and both are quad cores. They then harvest that procc and makes sooo many others!
That technique works only as a supplement to main fleet of CPUs in the long run. But I guess its one of AMD's cost cutting moves and also encourage people to take the gamble and buy 790GX boards instead of cheap 780G boards.

^^Yup, you got that right!
But hey, its working isn't it ?

People are running behind cheap 5.5K CrossFireX OverClocking 790GX boards like no time before.

When nVidia launched the Intel Chipset 650i a few years back for the same price, people bought it, but not with the same enthusiasm as for 790GX.

I guess AMD's stratagy of introducing cheap overclockable graphics cards which do wonder in crossfirex, and their stratagy of putting CFX at everyday Joe's reach did wonders.

There was a time for example, when Intel forced everyone to buy Original Intel Motherboards on 965G chipset for 5K since nothing else had such cheap solution into onboard graphics while dedicated GPUs cost a bomb.

Today people on a budget buy 780G mobos for 3.3K and wag their central fingers at their past lives. :D

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

AMD has struck gold mine. That's y they said they would end up with profit BIG time from this year onwards.

AMD has struck gold mine. That's y they said they would end up with profit BIG time from this year onwards.
I guess. But I think the Athlon II X2 250 would be more popular among OEMs than overclockers.

For 15$ (or 750 rupees) more you get 100MHz higher stock speed, an unlocked multiplier and full 6MB L3 cache.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

^^Here's something interesting:

PHENOM II X2 550 AND ATHLON II X2 250
*xtreview.com/images/phenom%20II%20X2%20550%20%283.1%20GHz%29%20and%20Athlon%20II%20X2%20250%2001.png

For the processors athlon II X2 2xx AMD decided to use dual core processors with new crystals with the reduced area - the concealed core does not have simply cache in the third level.
Consequently, to convert the dual core processor series athlon II X2 2xx in four cores is physically impossible. Exception can be for the three core processors athlon II X3 4xx.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

^^no, it's a native dual core, meaning there are chances that the processor after price cuts will come down to 60$ price.

Are you sure about them being native ? I have read several reports of them being defective quads with the cache of defective cores enabled.

If it indeed is native, its that much better. Hopefully we can see Athlon II X4 CPUs also with 4MB L2 cache.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

Gosh, look at this:

Core i7 i920 to be discontinued

Prepare to bid farewell to the $400 Core i7 upgrade dream. Chip major Intel is reportedly planning to discontinue some of the relatively affordable Core i7 processors, including the most commercially successful model, the 920. Cannibalizing the Core i7 920 and 940, will create market headroom for the company's upcoming Core i5 "Lynnfield" processors. Internal analysis reportedly show that the high-end Lynnfield processors perform too close to the lower models of Core i7, and that could potentially affect sales of those high-end Core i5 chips. Perhaps Intel is trying to oil the segment to make the most profits. Sources at motherboard manufacturers tell that the companies are already working on adjusting their X58 product lines to cater to the future lines of Core i7 processors, which, may start with the $649 Core i7 950 and beyond.

*www.techpowerup.com/95603/Intel_to_Cannibalize_Core_i7_920__940.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTEL doesn't want Core i7 i920 to compete with the Core i5 processors, that's why they are doing this!

Top Bottom