CPU/Chipset News

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't find a proper thread to post in the mobile/tablet section, so posting here: another innovative product from AMD:-

AMD to Enter Mobile in a Money Earning Way: Launching a FirePro APU Tablet by VR-Zone.com

The promise of cloud computing may fill the newspapers, online media and spreadsheets, but the fact of the matter is that remote workplace with graphics is simply a miserable experience. We've received dozens of emails from our readers that are saying that Cloud services simply don't work when you need to work on complex graphics.

Enter FirePro. AMD's first professional grade tablet will feature very similar and catchy design as the consumer version, but also carries a lot of graphics horsepower for users that need that FirePro experience like on desktop and mobile. Naturally, a 4.7 Watt part cannot perform as good as the parts with 2-5x higher envelope, but it will offer much better workflow than working with 3D models on an iPad or a similar tablet.

AMD's advantage is that FirePro-based tablet can run Windows 8 Pro wth all the regular (desktop) versions of productivity suites. With AMD being the first out the door, the company just may gain traction by exploiting market niches where earnings and profits are high, and revenue and negative pressure (read: competition) being low.

Terabyte

In the zone
Intel Haswell Could Be Last Upgradable Desktop Microprocessor
According to Japanese PC Watch web-site, code-named Haswell microprocessors may be the last desktop chips in LGA packaging, which enabled easy switch of CPUs on mainboards. Starting from Broadwell chips, which are due in 2014, all mainstream desktop processors will be available in BGA packaging.

Starting from Broadwell generation of central processing units (CPUs) mainstream chips will cease to use land grid array (LGA) and micro pin grid array (µPGA) packages and will only be available in in ball grid array (BGA) form-factors, just like Intel Atom processors.

While mainstream chips will reportedly be only supplied in BGA form-factors soldered to mainboards, which eliminates upgrade possibility, it is likely that high-end desktop (HEDT) platforms will still be supplied in LGA packaging. What remains to be seen is how expensive will such chips be.

Source : Intel Haswell Could Be Last Upgradable Desktop Microprocessor | Guru3D

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Haswell SKUs Expand to 33 Desktop Versions

There are going to be two i7 sku's in haswell which are i7 4770k and i7 4670k along with their derivatives.

But from that image, it shows haswell having 6 physical cores. :confused:

Myth

Cyborg Agent
MSI and ASrock Haswell Motherboards caught on camera (photos)

Msi plans to fry the mobo with 2 x 8pin connectors for the proc ! :-D

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
And the new extreme series processors probably won't be that much worth the extra $$$$
*hardwarebbq.com/2013/03/intels-new...eme-series-processors-minor-performance-boost

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Bit old news but it seems AMD steamroller based Opteron parts would start appearing in 2013 according to AMD's new roadmap slides for server parts.
AMD: We Are On Track With Steamroller Micro-Architecture in 2013 - X-bit labs

Intel confirms usb3.0 bug present in Haswell chipsets,would fix it by newer revised chipset.
Seemingly the initial batch of motherboards based on C1 chipsets would have this bug while the revised batch based on C2 chipsets would arrive somewhat later.
Fixed Core-Logic Sets for Intel Core
Intel Confirms Haswell Chipset Bug - Bright Side Of News*

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
New AMD APUs foreshadow ARM-based offerings

Finally kabini apu's has been listed. They come with 4 jaguar cores with custom amd gcn gpu's. Tdp range is phenomenal - i.e starts from 9w to 25 w.
Pricing is terrific to ranging from $49 to $72 for the highest SOC.

Amd is targetting ultrabooks, low power all in ones and win 8 netbooks with kabini. Looks very promising altogether.

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
few days before i came across an article infudzilla about the benchmarks of 4770 compared with 3770 and performance increase was only 5-10%.as the desktop parts don't include the high end graphic solutions there is no need of SB and IB to upgrade.so in this haswell release what matters is their mobile chips having GT3 igpu.lets see how it performs considering that they compared it with HD 6670.:shock::wink:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Haswell Hits 7.012GHz Ahead of Launch

These chips are going to sport tremendous overclocking potential. Reaching 7.01 ghz so early and that too for engineering samples is a great feat.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haswell Hits 7.012GHz Ahead of Launch

These chips are going to sport tremendous overclocking potential. Reaching 7.01 ghz so early and that too for engineering samples is a great feat.

but AFAIK haswell has 8 Ghz max OC limit ?

With unlocked "-K" chips, you get the freedom to step up base clock multiplier for the CPU cores all the way up to 80.0x for 100 MHz, up to 64.0x for 125 MHz, and up to 48.0x for 166 MHz; which if used right, could result in some awesome CPU clock speeds in the neighborhood of 8.00 GHz.

Source

so talking about OC speed record AMD still has the upper hand.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Buy Haswell: :p

*www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-i7-4770K-Bo...70K-/290917992584?pt=CPUs&hash=item43bc104888

BombayBoy

Journeyman
Haswell coming to PrimeABGB

i was at the store today evening and the sardarji (owner) instructed the staff to update the website with coming soon for Haswell

upon further inquiry, he was kind enough to inform that the mobos arrive in first week of June and the processors on June 10
for pricing, as compared to Ivy Bridge, 1000-2000 ka farak pakad lo (was his reply)

my purchase is postponed untill Haswell now :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000-2000 difference with which model .. are you indicating i7 4770K comapred to i7 3770K ??

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Intel Preparing Xeon Phi Series Co-Processors

Intel is preparing a commercial launch of its xeon phi co-processors. For starters, xeon-phi architecture resembles that of a vector processor which can execute single instructions across multiple data sets. They are highly parallel in nature comprising more than 50-60 processing cores with clock speeds of 1-1.5ghz. All cores are x86 based and run x86 instructions only.
When paired with conventional cpu's, these can boost performance significantly.

Top Bottom