Windows vs Linux vs BSD's vs Solaris vs Other OS'es

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
kumarmohit said:
The OSS community instead of discussing how evil Microsoft is, should dedicate more time on educating people how their product is better, people need to know.
thats what we r doing, educating people how linux is better :)! I'm a windows user too, remember that

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Anyway education or propaganda:

IMHO in the great Linux vs. Windows war the winner is going to be ReactOS because its free and opensource (tho a non programmer user wont care abt that) like Linux

and it runs all applications available for Windows which are many and deeply penetrated.

And BTW just a knowledge improver to both sides:
Windows = Linux
BSOD = Linux Kernel Panic
Dll Hell = Dependency Problems

PS: I will add more as I come across and do point out if I am mistaken and make wrong equalisations but the I am not a B.Tech (CSE) :) and nor do I claim that ReactOS will be free of things like this.

Last edited:

blackpearl

The Devil
mediator said:
Thats a very nice way to end a debate in which u got nothing else to say! Why no more talks about mp3,firewall,AV?? Its u and other window fanboys who started talking about mp3s etc. ANd now when everybody enlightened u guys u wanna talk no more??

You must be kidding me. I have nothing else to say? I can go on and on. I just don't want to because I have better things to do then argue with some linux fan. Whether you hate or love Windows has got nothing to do with me. I stepped in because I thought that the participants were sane. Go ahead shoot Bill Gates.

I just wanted to bring and end to this nonsense and bring peace. But you keep dragging me in. Hopefully this will be my last post. Now don't say that I have chickened out.

mediator said:
Yeah I'm very very surprised to know that u use linux! Though u used linux u dont know about the MP3s,firewall,Xine,dependencies about which u talked so strangely and ignorantly?? I guess u intsalled so many distros just to see which ne looks good..didnt u??

What ignorance did I display when I talked about mp3 and firewall? All I said was mp3s don't play out of the box and we have a better control on a windows firewall than on a linux firewall. Hell!! I had to run some commands to see the firewall log file, and it was a mess to look at.

mediator said:
For wmp and VLC, in a discussion concerning these, will u sit quiet??

That was an example buddy! I wish I could sit quiet.

mediator said:
First u come here to see and get enlightened about Linux and then feel inferior using windows. WHo asked u to peek into this thread?? This is the official thread recreated by a mod here specifically for this particular discussion! I hope that was ur last post then! If u wanna continue then make valid points instead of requesting not to insult an inferior OS!

Feel inferior?? THat was a joke wasn't it? You just want to fight, thats all. This isn't a discussion any more, particulaly after you stepped in. You are damn rude!!

mediator said:
Liked the story??
So thats how it is. If u show them the right path correctly, the person will think more than twice for it and definitely will give it a try and get enlightened! If u urself dunno correctly (like mp3,dependencies etc like u said) then how will u guide others??

Your story amuses me!! If linux is so good and so user friendly, you do I need to guide them? Nobody needs any guide for using windows. And you missed out an important part in your story.

Friend: "I can't run X, the program Y don't work. I m not able to do P, Q, R, S and T. Can you guide me?"
You: "Sure. Let me pack my baggage. I m going to shift permanently to your place. You will need me as long as you run Linux."

One more thing: you hate installing 3rd party softwares, I love it. Thats the biggest thing I love about windows. I live in a sea of softwares, I love the freedom.

I m not going to continue this talk anymore, not because I have nothing else to say but because you are RUDE. I hate such people.

Vyasram

The pWnster
mediator said:
^^Believe me I'm very slow at typing! :)

Already replied to such point before! But even for windows I ccant play a simple mpeg file initially when its installed! To give u an example, I intsalled the codec pack Klite on windows and win32codec for Linux! Even they say windows support is more I cudnt play most of file formats on Media player! Whereas on Xine, I cud play all of em! The files that used to give opening error in media player and winamp latest, used to work perfectly on Xine!
As for Linux, it has both GUI and commandline and gives u the utmost comfort to do whateva u want!

are u using a decade old version of windows ,the last tiem i checked windows ran mpegs and avis directly without a hitch right after installation

Who told u command line is everything in Linux these days?? Why dont u try linux and tell urself??

i use bsnl broadband and i had to make codes to connect on ubuntu, something linux users call the best linux for noobs
U wanna know about an app dev kit?? I tell u wont find just one! There are plenty. Well the programming menu of My FC5 contains more than 20 entries, 30 may be! As u already know Linux is open source, the code is ready for u to be modified whereas u dont have same thing for windows. Visual studio like applications are there that can add to Linux! So u see there is more functionality on Linux. U can customise it completely to suit u. If u know about shell scripts, thn u wont even ask about Visual Studio! Yes .net thing is also available for Linux.

as i said i'm a linux noob and wud appreciate if u name a few of them

Nice QUestion! Now tell me if 2 students are studying, will they rise faster if they compete to one another or study differently i.e in different countries and different schools and completely unknown to each other??
So u see its the competetion that is the key to the growth and development of a particular area. Wud u enjoy so much if there was only one MNC(Multi NAtional Company)???? But if u have many, then there's competition to give customers the best! The same is the case in Linux. Many distro are there, competetion is there to give users the best. And that competetion is far much above than competition between linux and windows! And thats the cause of so much dvelopment on GUI thing in Linux in past 2-3 yrs alone! The community has grown far much stronger, popularity is rising as a result the number of apps is also rising much much faster than ver before!

For the hardware support I will agree to some extent that Linux is one step behind than windows!

well that's what letting them down, hardware compatibility, and unless chip developers dont release their source codes, there is no way that there is gonna be hardware compatibility with so many distros out there

BSODs in Linux?? No offence but thats what I called a Joke! I guess u really never ever really tried Linux did u?? The term BSOD is unexistent in Linux dictionary! In the *nix family there's not Linux alone! Nasa might may be or might not be using Linux, I dunno! But they must be definitely using embedded *nix like BSD etc!
As for better GUI why dont u read posts before?? Pick up any modern Linux distro and then find the difference between GUI of LInux and windows and the stability factor too!
Between I have many friends, who dont even like to use STyle Xp etc and all such softares, they just need stabilty and are fed up with te maintainence on windows and the BSODs,viruses,malwares,adwares,trojans,frequent updates,time wastage, amking images of OS etc!!

sorry , i meant to say

nasa cant use ""windows""(not linux :D ) because of vulnerabilities and bsods. but the same isn't the case with users, the prefer to have better ui than stability as its just a home/office pc.

btw, i wud like to remind that most things in windows come under gui or regedit, but for even connecting to the internet i had to use codes in ubuntu

gary4gar said:
who said all linux users are greek??
see me, i am not a greek but still able to run it just because we have plenty of free & quality support for it. for windows every time there was a snag in pc. i wasted 200rs to call a local man & repair it. now with linux i also get a chance to learn something new

abt the service thing, itz just that u use linux more than u use windows. the last time i had to call a service guy for a problem in windows was 4 years ago, (i was learning windows back then)

and one thing which i almost forgot, gaming. why do companies mostly go for directx instead of opengl? linux seriously needs to have something here if it wants to beat windows

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
kumarmohit said:
[Ranting]Why do these topics keep on popping up again?[/Ranting]

By the way did the Linux and Windows warring sides hear of ReactOS. I think if they did they would stop fighting and start living in absolute harmony
Is it going anywhere but?
There is nothing at all in ReactOS that bridges Linux with windows. ReactOS is actually an OS which is supposed to be binary compatible with Windows. But, the difference is it is open source. It has no relation whatsoever with Linux. I have used the OS but frankly it's got long way to go yet. That the problem with GUI based OS'es once you are stuck you are stuck and in my case I was stuck with my mouse not working, there's nothing I could do further other than open the start menu and navigate through it. And is it still under development? If I remember right it was stopped in Alpha stage.

mediator

Technomancer
Oh man looks like ur getting emotional!

blackpearl said:
You must be kidding me. I have nothing else to say? I can go on and on. I just don't want to because I have better things to do then argue with some linux fan. Whether you hate or love Windows has got nothing to do with me. I stepped in because I thought that the participants were sane. Go ahead shoot Bill Gates.

I just wanted to bring and end to this nonsense and bring peace. But you keep dragging me in. Hopefully this will be my last post. Now don't say that I have chickened out.
:D:D Ok ok no more dragging u buddy! From mah last lines, it seems u read my debates quite a lot! :D......Neways I wont say u r chickening out, but I like that ur quitting in an elegant manner ! But still u gotta lot of misconceptions about Linux dear!

blackpearl said:
What ignorance did I display when I talked about mp3 and firewall? All I said was mp3s don't play out of the box and we have a better control on a windows firewall than on a linux firewall. Hell!! I had to run some commands to see the firewall log file, and it was a mess to look at.
Who told u mp3's dont play outta box?? In some free distros they do and in some dont. And in propreitary ones satisfaction is guaranteed! About the linux firewall I guess its ur fanboyism again, thats preventing u from seeing the light! I too have windows buddy and I know what I'm talkin about! Neways a single command is much better than several clicks to see a log file in windows! Besides, I told u Linux has GUI too, so u can see the firewall log just like windows too via several clicks!

blackpearl said:
That was an example buddy! I wish I could sit quiet.
Hmmmmm! But debates aren't meant to sit quietly! Neways peace out!

blackpearl said:
Feel inferior?? THat was a joke wasn't it? You just want to fight, thats all. This isn't a discussion any more, particulaly after you stepped in. You are damn rude!!
Oops! Sorry man If I were rude anywhere! But bro, its ok! If u can survive with Xp years n years, then its good for u! But most people can't! All r not so good maintainers like us! But u cant ignore the fact, that how much maintainence,updates => time wastage is done in windows as I already elaborated! Pick up any modern distro with 3-5 CDs and I'll bet u wont utter a word like u said during the posts!

blackpearl said:
Your story amuses me!! If linux is so good and so user friendly, you do I need to guide them? Nobody needs any guide for using windows. And you missed out an important part in your story.
Well my story was meant to amuse u! But its much much better than ur story! For guidance factor, I guess Its windows users who need much more guidance. A BSOD,a virus problem,boot problem etc..endless list, in such cases either u check the net endlessly to solve the issues or call the technician! He'll charge 200 bucks or most will say that ur hardware's corrupt better get a new hardware or they simpley reformat and reinstall windows! I know most technicians are dumb, but this counts in the windows guidance factor!
For linux, if some problem ever arises, u have whole community support now, solve the problem and it wont bug u again ever! BUt in windows if a problem occurs u cant be sure if it wont bug u again!

blackpearl said:
Friend: "I can't run X, the program Y don't work. I m not able to do P, Q, R, S and T. Can you guide me?"
You: "Sure. Let me pack my baggage. I m going to shift permanently to your place. You will need me as long as you run Linux."
Thats why I called u ignorant! Its not a personal comment neither a rude remark! WHat u said is the scenario that existed some 3-4 yrs ago or so! If u work openmindedly in linux world without ur windows fanboyism, I bet u'll change ur opinion urself!

blackpearl said:
One more thing: you hate installing 3rd party softwares, I love it. Thats the biggest thing I love about windows. I live in a sea of softwares, I love the freedom.

I m not going to continue this talk anymore, not because I have nothing else to say but because you are RUDE. I hate such people.
When did I say I hate 3rd party softwares?? all I said that for complete windows u have to install 20% that is the OS itself and the rest 80% are 3rd party softwares that u have to install one by one by downloading or from CD, crack them, restart every time and remove start up entries! Do u like such things?? Neways do u think linux is devoid of that sea that u mentioned?? I tell when u install free linux completely, u install OS i.e 90% and rest 10 % (xmms,xine and their dependencies) from the net or CD's in one go, by a simple command! If u install propreitary linux u install complete linux in one go, i,e 100% in one go and u'll find much much bigger sea of softwares in that!

Sorry man, I dont mean to be rude! Dont hate me! But its a fact that whever in debates I post facts, people quit up debating wimme. They either chicken out making personal remarks against me or report my posts! If u see any of my debates, I myself ask the opponent to quote and reply to my posts freely wherever they find it absurd or think I'm talking nonsense. Well 99.99% dont quoteand reply then. And how will they when I just post the facts itself?? So u see they either term it as hilarious or start making personal comments! I dont mind either of them.

Neways Just one thing I ask u. Have a glimpse of latest Linux distros (3-5 cd pack) nothing else, before telling that friends story or whateva to anyone else! It will be better for u too, if not to change ur opinion then atleast to remove ur ignorance! Peace out! Friends :)

Now @vyasram

vyasram said:
are u using a decade old version of windows ,the last tiem i checked windows ran mpegs and avis directly without a hitch right after installation
Are u sure?? What do u mean by last time?? DOes the windows installation changes every time that it introduces new features automatically in the CD?? Well there are many file types as u know and fresh/default WMP cudnt play almost 90% of em! It was only after the installation of SP2 and klite codec pack or whateva (forgot the name)!

vyasram said:
i use bsnl broadband and i had to make codes to connect on ubuntu, something linux users call the best linux for noobs
What codes? tar files? See man, the code compiled on ur machine gives u the best performance.Dont u agree? All will! Neways if dont like to complie code than there are rpms and deb files, just like setup files of windows! Use them instead! Anything's wrong with em??

vyasram said:
as i said i'm a linux noob and wud appreciate if u name a few of them
Oh I see ur a Linux noobie then! Welcome to open sourcE! Neways to get the list of IDE's etc, refer to @Jguru's post previously! U'll find enough there. For ubuntu I can't guide u, but for Fc5, be my guest!

vyasram said:
well that's what letting them down, hardware compatibility, and unless chip developers dont release their source codes, there is no way that there is gonna be hardware compatibility with so many distros out there
Ah, tell me how often u change ur hardware?? If u buy the latest hardware, then in most cases the incompatabilty is still there in windows too fro latest hardware! Only after some updates of the drivers in most cases resolves ur problems!
Neways most linux users dont need latest machines to run linux! I single linux distro can last more than 6 yrs fulfilling all ur needs without ever giving u complaints!
As for chip developers, they are now starting to release the codes! See the face of linux world and how much it has changed in 2-3 yrs alone! U can urself see, some few yrs ago most people didnt know whata linux is! But now even a BBA guy and a 5th standard student knows what linux is! Popularity of linux has risen many folds! From being known as server OS to being recognised as desktop OS, the popularity is spreading like a cancer cell! at this rate, it wont be far when 99% chip developers will contribute to linux!

vyasram said:
nasa cant use ""windows""(not linux ) because of vulnerabilities and bsods. but the same isn't the case with users, the prefer to have better ui than stability as its just a home/office pc.

btw, i wud like to remind that most things in windows come under gui or regedit, but for even connecting to the internet i had to use codes in ubuntu
Oh man, how many times I have to say that! Pick up any modern day distro and then tell the difference between the UI of windows and Linux! AS for ease I prefer Linux, believe me! Ease is not defined by clicks alone, it is also determined by updating frequency,reformats,solving BSODs and infections & maintainence factor etc etc!

vyasram said:
abt the service thing, itz just that u use linux more than u use windows. the last time i had to call a service guy for a problem in windows was 4 years ago, (i was learning windows back then)
Service thing isnt determined by technician alone dude! Its also determined by how much time u waste on updating ,reformating,solving BSODs and infections & maintainence & all the pain u urself put in!
If u clean ur PC urself, cant u call it servicing ur pc urself??

vyasram said:
and one thing which i almost forgot, gaming. why do companies mostly go for directx instead of opengl? linux seriously needs to have something here if it wants to beat windows
I agree windows is better than Linux in gaming area!

Last edited:

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
well I was not having any problems with XP SP2 but recently shifted to Linux coz its free/open source , lot more light , flexible and I decided to say no to piracy.
Also , in linux I dont need to update my AV, Antispywares and all other security softwares every time I connect to Net.
So I say , use whatever U feel like. But definitely open source is the future .

ReactOS has to be developed a lot(a real lot) so that it can be used effectively.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
kumarmohit said:
Windows = Linux
Dll Hell = Dependency Problems
Dude pallleeease, "Chit Chat" is better to post jokes like this!

kumarmohit said:
BSOD = Linux Kernel Panic
Are u kidding me?? Do I even need to talk on this?? Error handling is an integral part of any OS! If u wanna get enlightened on this, I'm ready!

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Vyasram said:

well it depends on ur distro u use. for example fedora core 5 has a script "adsnl-setup" in which u just need to enter ur user-id & pass only.

how many days ur windows install last??

ans:most of u reinstall it every month??
am i right??

Last edited:
G

gxsaurav

i was out of this thread, but gary4gar...but u are just acting insane

Like i said previously, if u know how to work on an OS, u can manage it easily, so...i have no problem giving u the award of Windows XP n00b

& for the installation time, my previous windows installation lasted for 10 months, from octobar 2005 to july 2006, i had to reinstall in July just because my old hard disk died

mediator

Technomancer
@gxsaurav.........Thats cheating why aren't u quoting me?? @gary is talking about most users and I guess u dont come in that most users group. If u were outta this thread doesnt gives u the right to talk clean again and start afresh!
Neways why r u repeating points for @gary, I already made plethora of points here. Do u have any problem in replying to them?? Show some GUTS man! Or may be u cant reply to my points with valid statements!
Its a typical human nature that when he has nothing else to say, then he starts repeating points or term the valid points as hilarious (making others laugh on him) or starts talking absurd!

I dunno why most of windows fanboys here compare windows to linux that used to exist some 4 yrs ago! SHud I compare todays linux to win98 then??

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
gxsaurav said:
i was out of this thread, but gary4gar...but u are just acting insane

pls avoid such comments:mad:
also i am shocked to see much a harsh comment from u:-o

gxsaurav said:
Like i said previously, if u know how to work on an OS, u can manage it easily, so...i have no problem giving u the award of Windows XP n00b
if one can manage windows so well then the n00bs can mange linux also!

gxsaurav said:
for the installation time, my previous windows installation lasted for 10 months, from octobar 2005 to july 2006, i had to reinstall in July just because my old hard disk died

i used to format my pc every 1-2 months.
because windows slows up after some time for the reason i don't know
the excissive formatting & reinstalltion was that my hdd was dead like urs and then i dicided to give linux a try. i know linux need a lot of work.
i am not try u say the linux is a best os but certainly its not soo greeky & inferior to windows

G

gxsaurav

the excissive formatting & reinstalltion was that my hdd was dead like urs and then i dicided to give linux a try. i know linux need a lot of work.

Wonder what makes u think that, have u ever tried cleaning your system of temporary files, invalid registry keys & defragment it, my Windows system is still as fast as it was on day 1

& why r u assuming that my HD died due to excessive formatting, formatting doesn't kills HD,who told u this anyway? Everyone here already know, how less i install Windows, & if u say HD died due to formatting & installing Windows I will just laugh at U, cos u r saying in a manner that Linux & Mac HDs don't die

Mediator

No man, i really don't have guts & time to fight here, sorry....u continue on your own. This is not the first time i m taking part in such discussions...& the previous ones gave no conclusion. thats why i just say one thing
now

"Use whatever u want, mere ko kya....just don't say your product is best, cos it is not without it's flaws"

mediator

Technomancer
gary4gar said:
pls avoid such comments
also i am shocked to see much a harsh comment from u
Dont be shocked. If he can term facts and serious valid statements as hilarious, then u shudn't expect anything sane from him!

gary4gar said:
i am not try u say the linux is a best os but certainly its not soo greeky & inferior to windows
It slows down because of fragmentation. But I guess @gxsaurav's fanboyism doesnt allow him to accept the facts!
Hey @gxsaurav do u have fragmentation thing for linux eh??

gxsaurav said:
Wonder what makes u think that, have u ever tried cleaning your system of temporary files, invalid registry keys & defragment it, my Windows system is still as fast as it was on day 1
Now ur confessing I guess, about how much time u waste on such activities!

gxsaurav said:
No man, i really don't have guts & time to fight here, sorry....u continue on your own. This is not the first time i m taking part in such discussions...& the previous ones gave no conclusion. thats why i just say one thing
now
Hawww! U quit from previous ones coz they aint give a conclusion?? How absurd! I guess u can't cope up here coz its giving clear conclusions then!

gxsaurav said:
"Use whatever u want, mere ko kya....just don't say your product is best, cos it is not without it's flaws"
Who's saying best? I just say Linux is much better! Neways yeah every OS has some flaws, but windows only has flaws! I expect VISTA to be much better.

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
gxsaurav said:
i clean the xp with ccleanner+tune up registry cleaner. also always had full updates via autoaptcher every month. had an Avast AV with latest updates.
that time i had a panga in my pc. i just kept installing new softwares for evalution. if it was a freeware then to its ok else i waste my time searching for there craks/keygens/serials. one more problem was that with huge amount of shareware soft i tried. all of them left some registry entries in the registry.
so every time i ran a rigistry cleaner it did not remove the registry keys my shareware apps. i did defragment it @once in 2 months as i have only 256 ram and process usally took 2-3hrs
gxsaurav said:
if u say HD died due to formatting & installing Windows I will just laugh at U, cos u r saying in a manner that Linux & Mac HDs don't die
i did'nt said that
i was tring to say in linux i dont have to format again & again as i did in windows. also my hardware vendor told me that a hdd can be full formatted(when we make a new mbr) around 6-7 times. if u can prove me wrong. i will me glad to update my knowledge:cool:

also, i don't like heated discussions so pls post politely:)
dont mind mediater he is little agresive in putting his points

regards,
gary

kumarmohit

Technomancer
OMG there the Linux 'Enthusiasts' go again .. it seems that they think the concept Linux superior than concept of FOSS What else could be the reason of saying that ReactOS has nothing to do with Linux when both are FOSS and the rest of the similarities will include the upcomin ext2 support and man i am not a reactos dev stil i kno lot more is coming to satisfy that reactos is going to be as good and IMO better than Linux

Come on Linux enthusiasts - you must always consider one thing Linux is not what it is because its Linux its that because its FOSS.

Mine lasted 7 months and even than It did not die I killed it so that I could :p Persuade:p my parents that my my HDD has a corrupted boot sector meaning that I can use the HDD but not start comp from it.

Actually the 40GB was packed and I needed a new HDD to download more music:p

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
kumarmohit said:
stil i kno lot more is coming to satisfy that reactos is going to be as good and IMO better than Linux
When the time comes, we'll see about that! Talk about present. Why r u trying to promote it ?

kumarmohit said:
Come on Linux enthusiasts - you must always consider one thing Linux is not what it is because its Linux its that because its FOSS.
Whatever it is, but it gives u extreme freedom and negligible pain as compared to windows as discussed previously!

drsethi

Journeyman
A wish of a Windows Extremist
(Found in a Microsoft forum)
When Vista hits the streets Linux on the desktop will become a
has-been. The truth is that Linux has had 15 years of Microsoft's
blunders to gain the confidence of enough destkop users to make some
kind of impact on the desktop and it has failed to do so.

Microsoft Vista is generating excitement amongst the Windows users,
which account for approximately 95 percent of the desktop users.
PC Magazine, PCWorld and all the other main stream magazines devoted to
PC computing are filled with articles concerning Vista.

*www.pcworld.com/
*www.pcmag.com/

The excitement is building and when Vista hits the streets, it will be
the final nail in the Linux coffin because if Linux hasn't managed to
gain any appreciable market share over Windows in the last 15 years and
especially in the last 4 years or so since Microsoft has released a new
version of Windows, Linux will never do it.

Linux is free and that's about the best that can be said for Linux.
So how is it that a free operating system that has a lot of application
programs included isn't generating excitement?
Free usually means a great interest, except when it pertains to Linux.
Why are people willing to fork over $200 for XP or Vista when Linux is
free?

The obvious answer is that Linux sucks.
Think about it.
People are just not interested in Linux.
Then think about Linux going down the proverbial drain just like OS/2
and BEOS have done.

Long live DOS!
Long live Linux!
Hurrah!

In a couple of months, Linux will become irrelevant.

Vyasram

The pWnster
i dont know what kind of guy with an iq less than homer wrote that.

vista will actually strengthen linux if microsoft sell its versions at the price of entry level PCs, and it barely runs on 30% of PCs in the world. and with the kind of antipiracy techniques they are gonna use for both their own software and for music and videos in their OS, vista would definitely be a flop. (unless crackers help microsoft :wink: d) . most of the win xp users will stick with it and some may shift to linux and very few will buy vista.

vista will be something like a 7950 GTX graphics card.

i am a windows xp user and i will keep using it and will not buy vista. and yes i may shift to linux if it satisfies my needs

mediator

Technomancer
Sorry @drsethi, But I cant believe u still say that after such a long discussions! Its been just 3-4 yrs that Linux users have tripled or more than that! As I already said, when programmers,geeks etc dont need hifi systems, they can even do their work on P1 on Linux. And many wont be stupid enough to upgrade their perfect working systems just for VISTA. Software can be pirated but still hardware can't ! Duplicate parts is different thing. But still they will sell u duplicate parts of hardwares only marginally lower than original and that will cause long term problems! And VISTA needs whole lotta supreme configurations! I'm not ready to shell that much out just for VISTA and I bet most wont either.
As when VISTA will hit the streets or whateva, the only thing I can imagine is BSoDs and crashes initially. Then MS will again release the spare parts(updates,patches) etc for 1-2 yrs and then only it will get stable and little secure. So u see if the users will have some excitement, then that will be washed away by dissapointments i.e crashes etc!

U went to MS forums? Why dont u go to some Linux forums then?? I bet that will change ur opinions by a some great leaps. Yea Linux is free, thats why its source code can be trusted, unlike MS and symantec which has been discussed in detail above if u read them!

Even the supreme windows fanboys dont say that Linux sucks. But I guess u made ur judgement without experiencing the world of Linux. Or may be u have some old Linux distros still. Just take a look a modern Linux distros and propreitary Linux distros. I guess u'll be shocked then. If u want Windows specifically for gaming and keep changing ur hardware everymonth for that, then I think X-BOX etc are much better options than that! What say?

As for linux excitement, thats just the beginning now. Most people are getting to know Linux much better as compared to past. Read the whole debate from the start, I guarantee that will generate atleast a little interest in u for Linux.

As for Coffin, I'll say the Linux was in coffin until now. The nails have been removed 2-3 yrs before. The beast is being reincarnated with new face, new strength and new support never seen before like phoenix which rises from ashes. Its gaining strength,looks,support,users,environments,ease etc much faster than ever. Something the world has never seen before!

So please read the whole debate instead repeating points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom