Windows vs Linux vs BSD's vs Solaris vs Other OS'es

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
i am first seeing a person who somewhat understands Linux(watched his few threads!) and again sticking to propreitory Operating System-@gxsourav.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
@gxsaurav I hope this *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=277038&postcount=11 can make you believe that we can certainly double click and install software in ubuntu using GDebi.

G

gxsaurav

prakash kerala said:
i am first seeing a person who somewhat understands Linux(watched his few threads!) and again sticking to propreitory Operating System-@gxsourav.

my work depends on Windows & cannot be done on Linux, thats why, besides it's easier for me to Work in Windows then hunt for stufff in linux

mehul

don't know where gdebi is, i tried installing apps the most common way as u & many online forums said, synaptic, still it did not find gwget, a lot of dependency

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Yeah I do understand that ur work really depends on windows and it's difficult to move. It's rather a matter of inertia. If linux gains a considerable market share, these apps will start coming to similar platforms. Till the time being, non-windows users have to do with thier OSS counterparts.
I don't really remember if it's there in the repos that are already activated. Maybe it's in other repos that are deactivated to make things less complicated. Maybe there's info on it in the wiki. I guess GDebi came after Dapper released so it wasn't there by default. Maybe it will be packed in Edgy, releasing this week. But, if GDebi is stable enough.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I never had stability issues with Windows, I run a hell of softwares, including intensive scientific and medical imaging applications, it runs fit and fine. Windows 98 used to crash the whole machine with a bug or freeze but Windows XP SP2 or MCE have matured a lot. There is no denying most companies find it easier to support Windows on laptops or common desktops 'than Linux which you have to wait hours for a helpful community member to reply and walk through. If you are a normal, average Joe, you're less likely to be frustrated with Windows and more likely to be with Linux.

I use OpenSuse for the change from years of Windows, for the speed, effects (without compromising on speed), battery life in my notebook, really good sound (with a lot of tweaking), good DVD playback (with even more tweaking). Linux still remains a 'geeky' or daring change' OS which needs a lot of work on it before it can be used by a normal home user. Its still the most secure, stable, light on resources OS, jazzy looks which is good for servers and workstations but normal users don't care if it can't play MP3, DVDs or games and a lot of jumping around is needed to get it to work, not to mention a fast internet connection. Its not only a matter of inertia tech_your_future, its a matter of quick get-my-job-done or a right pain in the....for simple tasks.

comrade

foreign return(0)
after the messup with windows xp & vista...i moved on to windows 2003 sp2..being a server os i doubt whether all my apps runs on it or not..but pleasingly 90% of my apps run on it. Even for the one that do not run i had an alternative...i also notice my games to run smooth...without harddisk thrashing.
And now after 3 months of installation i can still feel as if a freshly installed os is running..startup is smoother(all my tray icons are lauunched at once)
anyone had better/worser experience with windows2003?please comment on it.

mediator

Technomancer
Well I had windows Xp installed and running fine for about 1.5 years becoz of extreme maintainence. But then it started to deteriorate, so I did a reformat+reinstall. Now I have fedora 5 installed and running fine for the last 4-5 months without any maintainence. Anyways I had FC3 too then FC4 and then FC5. But everytime I did only an upgrade to the distro. So indirectly I have fedora installed and running fine for almost 3+ yrs now!

blackpearl

The Devil
So this thread is still alive ;)

Here is one article I found.
*wskills.blogspot.com/2006/12/biggest-linux-problem-it-makes-users.html

I've no intention of starting any war. I just liked it.
after the messup with windows xp & vista...i moved on to windows 2003 sp2..being a server os i doubt whether all my apps runs on it or not..but pleasingly 90% of my apps run on it. Even for the one that do not run i had an alternative...i also notice my games to run smooth...without harddisk thrashing.
And now after 3 months of installation i can still feel as if a freshly installed os is running..startup is smoother(all my tray icons are lauunched at once)
anyone had better/worser experience with windows2003?please comment on it.

Hey, I've read somewhere that running Win 2003 is better than running Win XP.

Last edited:

Jayanth.M.P

Journeyman
Yeah seen this .... you OSS fanboys have no other better work or what ?
All you can do is complain, guys get a life. You blame microsoft bcoz u can and nothing else. Both linux and Windows have their own specialties .... stop comparing them.

I have heard this who asked u not to use linux.... not to learn it **** a hundred times. Well why dont u make ur own processor ? ..... if u sit and spend a lot of time u can even understand particle physics.....linux and windows are just software.

U find linux easy bcoz u adapted to it or were used to it form begining.....Same is applicable to windows too.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Yeah seen this .... you OSS fanboys have no other better work or what ?
All you can do is complain, guys get a life. You blame microsoft bcoz u can and nothing else. Both linux and Windows have their own specialties .... stop comparing them.

I have heard this who asked u not to use linux.... not to learn it **** a hundred times. Well why dont u make ur own processor ? ..... if u sit and spend a lot of time u can even understand particle physics.....linux and windows are just software.

U find linux easy bcoz u adapted to it or were used to it form begining.....Same is applicable to windows too.

Hey, incase you didn't notice the date of the thread above your's, thanks for giving us all a good laugh, you are eligible to become the NOOB OF THE WEEK!! *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/36.gif

*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif

Dude, Get a life rather than asking members here to! You act like a true MP and we can't do much but laugh at your absolute ignorance. If you have no idea how to stfu or respect members here and try to act like a king, you're just going to end up disgracing yourself in front of all of us. So, go ask your momma to teach you some manner lessons intead of using stars ***** all over the place when you post!! *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/21.gif

Last edited:

Jayanth.M.P

Journeyman
Shows ur attitude man...... I am a noob i accept that, but with that attitude u carry u are definitely a FOOL. This is not the first time i am seeing ur post ....just see ur post history and it speaks volumes about u.

Well coming to my mom..... this is what she had to say : "Arguing with a fool is the best way to prove u are one".

So i end this converstaion here. Have a nice day cyrus.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Shows ur attitude man...... I am a noob i accept that, but with that attitude u carry u are definitely a FOOL. This is not the first time i am seeing ur post ....just see ur post history and it speaks volumes about u.

Well coming to my mom..... this is what she had to say : "Arguing with a fool is the best way to prove u are one".

So i end this converstaion here. Have a nice day cyrus.

I think the only best thing you do is dig up old threads and you ask the question.. don't you OSS guys have anything better to do? Maybe you should ask yourself "Don't you have anything better to do than digging up 1yr old threads and going through my post history at 2 in the night" and then telling me have a nice day at 2 in the night???

Sure.. have a nice day! *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/21.gif

FYI, it's not my attitude, anybody digging up old threads are eligible to be Noob of the Week, and I'll certainly vote for you because you seem to be doing it at 2 in the morning! My votes are for you! *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/113.gif

Jayanth.M.P

Journeyman
me have a nice day at 2 in the night???

I'll certainly vote for you because you seem to be doing it at 2 in the morning!

Dude decide first.

"have a nice day" -- look it up in dictonary. its a phrase and time irrelevant.

If u want it personally -- Have a nice night !

Happy ?

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Just reminding him to respect others and not act as a king and say that everyone else over here is stupid and he knows everything. The first lesson to surviving as a member in the forum is to respect other members whether one likes it or not.

And when one comes out of hiding and picks an year old thread and flames at every member calling them fools and asking whether they have nothing better to do when he himself is not doing any thing better by digging up old threads, it really starts to make your sking crawl by seeing trollers like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom