Windows vs Linux vs BSD's vs Solaris vs Other OS'es

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
linux is the most stable os even from windows thats why even space launch programs computers run on linux b'cos they can't afford a reboot & BSOD. most of ur web sites are hosted on linux webservers as it is most secure & there are'nt any virus,spywares & malwares and other stuff

i think u never looked closely what linux is??
read this *desktoplinux.com/articles/AT4506188569.html

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Re: A Vista kill switch would be good for Linux?????????

Microsoft is the leader in giving stability?? Introduce two good viruses in Windows.
Let's see how stable is Windows!!! Windows is more unstable than any other O.S
in the world. Microsoft is the leader, just by marketing Windows O.S aggressively!!!!
That's all. It has nothing to do with stability!!! Have you worked with Solaris? Linux
is more stable than Windows.

hemant_mathur

-- No Easter Eggs here --

Windows and stability ... they dont match do they?

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

JGuru said:
Microsoft is the leader in giving stability?? Introduce two good viruses in Windows.
Let's see how stable is Windows!!! Windows is more unstable than any other O.S
in the world. Microsoft is the leader, just by marketing Windows O.S aggressively!!!!
That's all. It has nothing to do with stability!!! Have you worked with Solaris? Linux
is more stable than Windows.

It is the most used that's why its the prime target of malware programmers, if I want to infect computers the obvious choice will be windows os computers. Vulnerabilities can be found in every software written , the popular one gets attacked . If 1 out of 100 persons is using Solaris, i wont care abt the 1 person and try to infect the computer of other 99.

G

gxsaurav

Linux users

Assuming u know how to work on Windows which has the easiest UI & rock stable if u use proper drivers, stable applications (non Beta i mean)...tell me, when was the last time U saw Windows XP SP2 crashing

what are u comparing Linux of 2006 to, Windows 98?

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

ya,
XP was like hell before Sp2 , surfing without getting OS infected was not a choice, but after sp2+regular updates , its taken care of . Still there are regular virus threats which will never change, all i have to do is keep my os updated with latest MS patches . I dont even use any Antivirus.

ankitsagwekar said:
There seems to be a lot of talk about a potential kill switch in Windows Vista, but that would be very good news for Linux and open source adoption in most of the world and perhaps even college campuses. The tighter the anti-piracy controls on Microsoft software is, the wider the adoption of Linux

Totally Agreed, but its windows ppl will find a way around to use it like they have always done. Microsoft's ony way to fight piracy in 'non Us+poor' countries to sell the OS at a price a Middile class person can afford. If the antipiracy feature really works for MS then its linux for India.

G

gxsaurav

nah, there are always cheaper way to buy legal Windows, such as OEM, or student license etc

& tarey, u r right.....it's Windows, the easiest OS out there, u don't need to download 400 MB of stuff, dependencies, codec etc, just so it works, u pay for it, it's already there

even with Paid Linux distros u don't get

1) Codec, well I don't know much maybe u do

2) Proper IM clients - Voice chat on GAIM, yeah right...it's a great
experience, what about webcam , it just doesn't work

3) There are no drivers for your hardware, well...it's not the fault of Linux & it's low market share & non-standard drivers because of which one driver for one distro doesn't work with other distro...it's the fault of Hardware manufacturer, cos they are not open sourcing their drivers, for which they spend millions to innovate & make algorithms etc, so that hardware works efficiently:D

Linux will always be a geek OS, unless the Creation of Linux distributions UI is given to designers instead of Coders, seriously, coders can't design, they give really nice apps but forget to give a good UI for it

I recently tried ubuntu in Vmware on my PC, & even to install gwget, a download manager I went to synaptic, searched, & it found nothing....I tried downloading & I was given the source code....I m a user, what m I supposed to do with the source code, can I have a package plz...no wait, I can't, cos .deb package won't work with any other distro...so I must compile from source code, that’s the easiest distribution method

I just can't believe, how can Linux users stay happy when they miss out so much using Linux. But again, it's not their fault; it's the fault of the companies.

Linux is & always will be a minority OS, & even with tough anti-piracy measures, Windows Vista will be cracked too, i hate MS for so high prices, but like i said, there are always other ways to get it legally

blackpearl

The Devil

I agree with gxgaurav, Linux is a hell to use. The biggest problem for linux is most things don't work out of the box and very few s/w and alternatives. Most linux users will say "use apt-get or synaptic and you can install all you need". Well, not everybody has a fast net connection. And all package installation like RPM are a big joke. To install a 100KB program, you have to download some 10MB of dependencies. Inspite of all these, linux fanatics swear that linux is the easiest OS around(???)

The 2nd problem is lack of softwares. Yes, there are applications to play mp3 and video, word processing suits, image editing tools etc but you don't have much choice do you? If you don't like Gimp you have no alternative. If you hate open office you are doomed. I cannot imagine being stuck to the same old applications and having no choice at all. People who proudly say that "I use linux, why do I need Windows?", don't know what they are missing.

And its better if we not discuss about security and stability issues. Almost 90% of the servers that get hacked every month throighout the world runs Linux. Go to any security website like secunia.com and you will find tons of vulnerabilities for linux and open source s/w. And I don't remember when my Windows XP+SP2 crashed last time.

drsethi

Journeyman

Windows xp and vista are easy to install, use, rarely crash.Many top class programs are available like MS Office, Adobe Photoshop. Very good collection of games which children like.
Linux also installs easier than before but still has problems like Non Open Source Software, dependencies, Installing programs is difficult. There are bugs in free open source(beta) versions of Linux.
I agree that with tough antipiracy measures of Microsoft many will shift to Linux.
Also hope that Linux will be more easier and there are more and more quality programs and games will be avalable.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

the thing linux is for the geekies .... i mean i cannot give my dad a linux pachine or see my cousins using linux ..... if u wanna do something on linux u gotta find drivers and all u dont get everything ready .... MS is good ..... all linux users i think u guys shudnt be mac supporters either .... are u????

mediator

Technomancer

Hey I agree XP+SP2+autopatcher is a lot stabler than before, but still its no match for Linux! OK , u wanna say that because of Windows popularity its the primary target of Virus writers. But what about the BSODs??
Even the Viruses for Linux wont affect it coz they need the execution priviledges and scripts that need to be executed manually unlike the windows where the viruses keep dropping via various sources and affecting the OS without any users knowledge.

For the time wasted on codecs and dependencies, its not match for the time wasted on installing drivers,winzip,winrar,winamp,autopatcher,,,,,,,etc on windows before actually using windows! JUst tell me onething how much time it takes u before u actually start using a fully loaded,autopatched,service patched,secured,protected windows so that u can use it for next 1 yr without hesitation and reliably???? Compare that time with Linux installation and installing xine,xmms etc. To tell u, it takes more than 15 hrs for me to completely install windows means all the necessary softwares and protection too. Compare it too Linux. It takes less than 5 hrs to me to get a completely loaded *nix box! If u have any notions that I might be installing a hell lotta softwares on windows, then let me make it clear that I install much more softwares on Linux instead windows! I do all my programming,picture editing(GIMP) etc on Linux.

As for the driver problems, they are being developed much faster than before! A kernel gets developed every 3-4 months or less. A new distro is put on net very 6 months or less! Can u compare such development with windows which takes 3-4 yrs for every next release?? Just compare the Linux 4 yrs ago and compare the linux now! The difference between linux 4 yrs ago is much greater than windows 4 yrs ago! The only thing I guess improved in Vista is stability and graphics. But still that stability is no match for stability of Linux 4 yrs ago!

One thing more u dont have to waste time on Linux after installing it and installing the needed softwares and codecs! But in windows a single BsoD may take u to formatting stage. U need to maintain windows a lot. Install the latest firewall,spyware definitions and virus definitions.

As for those who think dependencies for small program and installing is a heck of their time, they dont actually realise the subsequent and long lasting comfort after that small amount of pain! Its far better than the paid softwares on Windows which soon become obsolete and then new versions are available which u have to download and install again! Whereas in Linux just issue the command apt-get or yum and u get updated program in no time!

Neways for the ease of use, I suare I find Linux far more easy than Windows. In windows first u wait for that stupid winxp loading screen to get past. In that much time the Linux even loads up and is ready to use. When u wanna watch some movie u open Media player and wait for it! Half the time it displays error messeges and shuts down itself. The time for opening for the comparable xine is much less. Just click and watch the movie in no time!

Those who think their family memnbers wont be able to use *nix, Jus tell me honestly onething, Who helps them in getting their problems solved? Who takes care of the system to keep it virus,trojan spyware,malware,adware free?? If the family members are that smart enough then they wont be having any trouble in switching to Linux either! Its only a matter of a week to get urself adapted to Linux. The new distros are giving u the ease comparable to Xp! U have a lotta customization and various kinds of X-windows etc. Its just u who think ur family members wont be able to use Linux. IF they can take care of whole OS, solve all window related problems by themselves instead taking ur help, then I suare they'll opt for Linux themselves!!

As for voice chats we have skype dont we?? Most Europeans countries have more Linux distros at home than XP and number of Linux users much greater than Indian Linux users. They all communicate via voice chats! Now what softwares they are using, that I really donno coz I have no interest in voice chats! But in news and various sources the video conferencing and voice chat etc being held on Linux Pcs looked cool enough to me!

One more difference is: In windows u keep formatting after every Virus attack or BSOD and kep banging ur head on the table with black,dark circled eyes, whereas in Linux u keep on formatting as to find out which next Linux distro is more thrilling with a new excited look in ur eyes! Just tell me when was the last time ur windows crashed ?? Just tell me honestly how much time u spend formatting windows and maintaining it in 1 yr?? And how time have u ever spent in maintaining Linux....... Never??

Recently my Xp got corrupt! Mah Mom had some important documents that she wanna take with her in a CD. I told her "Xp's corrupt". She said "Xp on its knees again??". I said "yeah". She got tense and just asked one thing "Is it possible to retrieve them back?". I happily said "Ofcors", fired up fedora and made a CD for her. I cant tell u how happy she was! And asked me whats the name of this Windows. I told her its not WIndows, its a Linux distro, a far superior OS. SHe had no idea what I was talking about, but since that day she seems quite carefree about her documents!

So u see u really cant compare a BSOD box with a *nix box! One area I admit Linux will need time in is the area of Gaming! But stability and Windows?? Yea the terms are still like 2 repelling faces of a magnet!!

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well taking into constderations the stupidity of the european union restricting everything in windows .... i wud giv billy g the benefit of doubt ....

ps: this thread is getting a linux vs windows .... mods move this to fight club

G

gxsaurav

My Windows XP Box is using XP + SP2, no autopatcher, not all of my drivers are WHQL, even still no BSOD here, like I said before, if u know how to use Windows u won't get problems

I don't care for security, cos I got common sense, like I do not open mails from unknown sources etc, there is just one flaw in computing today...the user itself

After Windows XP SP2 released, there are hardly a few virus which work on their own, that too...after the user opens a file, or opens a mail. Again, it's the users fault.....u can't blame windows for it

U say 15 mins to install Linux, really, well ubuntu took here 1 hr to install....I wonder how, or u must be comparing the linspire time, which installs nothing but the core

Why are u comparing Linux kernel & drivers, they are different, I was talking about drivers not kernel development. & by the way, who told u that developing a kernel = developing an OS, the kernel is just the core...get your facts right, Windows is much more then just the core, it took a long time to develop Vista, because of a completely re-written Graphics stack, DirectX 10, WinFX (.net 3.0)...r u forgetting something

Yeah, we need to maintain windows, but who said we need to do it our self, just leave auto update on, that’s the easiest way.

As for those who think dependencies for small program and installing is a heck of their time, they don’t actually realize the subsequent and long lasting comfort after that small amount of pain! It’s far better than the paid software on Windows which soon become obsolete and then new versions are available which u have to download and install again! Whereas in Linux just issue the command apt-get or yum and u get updated program in no time!

So, u also saying that the software development rate on Windows is faster then Linux, well it certainly is indeed, & about reinstall it again...well when was the last time any Windows user needed to so it, just install new app over the old one, it auto configures, even Photoshop works like that. & again like i said before, why command, why can't just some button or icon

Stupid loading screen, that’s the Login screen, don't tell me u don't have it in Linux even for a single user system. No one needs to open media player if they don't want to, just double click on the file & I it plays....I think u r just tooo used to the old way of using an OS

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers

Well, a long argue can b there..............

Acc. to me, windows isn't stable & reliable. I have Win98 & WinXP SP2. Just 2-3 days before my system got infected with two viruses, Win32 Pinfi & W32 Jeefo. I have NAV, Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot Search n destroy and Trojan Horse Remover installed on my system. That time I scanned my system & tried to disinfect it anyhow but the result after spenting 8 hrs. for disinfection was........

I installed a fresh copy of both windows after formatting my HDD. So what can b concluded, is simple to understand.

One of my friends is using Linux for last 7 months & he didn't found any prob yet. I have some work which can b accomplished on Windows platform only so I can't install Linux at present otherwise I will go for a Linux installation.

Originally posted by tarey_g

....... If 1 out of 100 persons is using Solaris, i wont care abt the 1 person and try to infect the computer of other 99.

If 99 users r for Win & 1 for Linux so viruses will b coded for Win, then it is much better to bcome the 1 Linux user than to wasting ur time for scanning viruses. :cool:

G

gxsaurav

pinfi & jeefo...lolzz, i get them in pirated VCDs usually & NAV doesn't even let them run....u don't know how to use a AV application i think, there was no need to format it...i think u were just desprate to work on it

Even we have to read half of google to work on linux, u talking about stability...i can't even mount my FAT32 or NTFS drives in linux like that, i have to edit the fstab file, manually...tell me why should i do this, can't i just right click on the drive & select to mount & select to automount it on boot, or is it a linux feature not to mount partitions

this is just going like Win vs lin threads, on which i can give a 10000 valid point, but i will never get valid reply defending linux, just same old repeatation that Windows is bad

i quit posting in this thread, i got better things to do

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers

@ gxsaurav

Originally posted by gxsaurav

pinfi & jeefo...lolzz, i get them in pirated VCDs usually.....

I m not interested in watching VCDs (whether pirated or not) but u r as u have told.

Originally posted by gxsaurav

....U don't know how to use a AV application i think, there was no need to format it...i think u were just desprate to work on it

If using an AV is dependent on any speciality (which I don't have, acc. to U) then how can U say that, windows is better?

mediator

Technomancer

gxsaurav said:
My Windows XP Box is using XP + SP2, no autopatcher, not all of my drivers are WHQL, even still no BSOD here, like I said before, if u know how to use Windows u won't get problems

I don't care for security, cos I got common sense, like I do not open mails from unknown sources etc, there is just one flaw in computing today...the user itself
How many users do u think are like u?? And from these statements of urs it seems u r too paranoid that u dont open emails from unknown sources and dont surf freely and without any tension on ur mind. Dont u?? So u see u urself saying indirectly how unsafe Windows is! Even unknown sources and emails are sometimes sent by close ones and known people!
Neways No offence, but I have many friends like u who say to use common sense and still get viruses and formattings!

gxsaurav said:
After Windows XP SP2 released, there are hardly a few virus which work on their own, that too...after the user opens a file, or opens a mail. Again, it's the users fault.....u can't blame windows for it
I just didnt mention Virus alone, did I?? What about spywares,malwares,adwares,trojans that bring ur windows to its knees and make it terribly slow?? I'm sure if u r a good system maintainer then u wont disagree with number of these trojans etc found in weekly scans!

For a person like u who uses a personal PC, it might be different sotory that u get less number of trojans,spywares etc. But for a person like me whose PC is used by so many people in a day, its a nightmare! Believe me. TEll me what wud u prefer as OS if ur system be used by many people and u are the system maintainer. WIndows or Linux?? and if the things arent exactly as u wish and all the users have administrative rights??

gxsaurav said:
U say 15 mins to install Linux, really, well ubuntu took here 1 hr to install....I wonder how, or u must be comparing the linspire time, which installs nothing but the core
When did I say 15 minutes?? Please learn to quote! Yes the figure 15 is there but its in hrs not minutes and for Windows i.e more than 15 hrs to completely install windows! Well bro did I ever said Ubuntu specifically?? It might get installed in 1 hr on ur system. Neways I have fedora 5, a 5 cd pack, which got installed in less than 40 minutes and the rest of the softwares like Xine,xmms,dependencies etc whateva u can think of, another 4 hrs!

gxsaurav said:
Why are u comparing Linux kernel & drivers, they are different, I was talking about drivers not kernel development. & by the way, who told u that developing a kernel = developing an OS, the kernel is just the core...get your facts right, Windows is much more then just the core, it took a long time to develop Vista, because of a completely re-written Graphics stack, DirectX 10, WinFX (.net 3.0)...r u forgetting something
When did I even say that bro?????? Why are u getting ur notions like that???? WHen did I say "developing a kernel = developing an OS" ???? Thats I tell u to quote coz if u dont u get ur notions like u r doing now! Please read again what I said. I also wrote something like less than 6 months for a new linux distro to deploy! Neways now that u started talking about kernel "Do u know Linux kernel is monolithic and windows is microkernel"?? Though now the windows kernel is graduating and is coming out of shadows of being called microkernel!!

gxsaurav said:
Yeah, we need to maintain windows, but who said we need to do it our self, just leave auto update on, that’s the easiest way.
I hope u know How many autoupdates for various softwares exist on windows and how much they irritate u if u dont have them setted on manual mode! How much do u update them?? Yea u dont have to do it urself, who even expects that?? BUt you have to maintain windows to a great extent just to see it working fine, dont u agree?
Neways u say u dont use autopatcher, but autoupdate is just another name of autopatcher.They have the same functionality. Dont u agree? But Autopatcher is much easier and faster!

gxsaurav said:
So, u also saying that the software development rate on Windows is faster then Linux, well it certainly is indeed, & about reinstall it again...well when was the last time any Windows user needed to so it, just install new app over the old one, it auto configures, even Photoshop works like that. & again like i said before, why command, why can't just some button or icon
When did I say that about software development rate about WIndows?? Why r u geting ur notions like that buddy?? Indeed the windows softwares become obsolete soon. But the most new ones dont have any new features either except for some exploit fixes etc. If u consider the case with Linux, u'll get new updated programs more frequently than windows. But I guess u cant understand the point that installing the programs is much faster and easier in Linux with yum and apt-get and that too FREE programs!

gxsaurav said:
Stupid loading screen, that’s the Login screen, don't tell me u don't have it in Linux even for a single user system. No one needs to open media player if they don't want to, just double click on the file & I it plays....I think u r just tooo used to the old way of using an OS
No I dont have the loading screen in Linux where it says loading loading loading for half a minute or more. U misunderstood again, I dunno why! Can u tell me where is it in Linux?? I have fedora 5. PLease tell me where?? MAh *nix box even loads up fully in the time interval taken from entering the login screen of Xp to loading of all the programs!

Dude I'm sure now u must be the only user on ur PC. Try to have many people in ur PC and then tell if still u can talk about XP like u did! To tell u, mah Xp has been running smoothly since 1.6 yrs because of extra ordinary care I take for mah PC with so many users. Recently It got corrupt but thank god I restarted the system restore service before that! So u see to keep Xp running fine u really have to get paranoid and give extra care so that it runs fine even in ur absence when someone else is using it!

And for god sake, please dont see the matter just from ur eyes alone. See the matter from the eyes of casual users,naive users,administrators etc where many people are working on one PC where everyone is free to do whatever he likes and can open any site.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

ravi_pintu2001@yahoo.com said:
And we cannot ignore from the fact that microsoft are leader in giving stability.
Have you ever remotely heard of BSD's?
They are known to be the leaders in stability and windows comes somewhere at the tailend.

praka123

left this forum longback

I am running GNU/Linux Debian for past 2 years wihtout any prblem whatsoever.now where is windows coming near to it?do u know that Linux dont need defragmenting filesystem?i know i can quote umpteen plus points of BSD's and Linux for that matter.infact my state(KERALA) shifted from M$ OS's to GNU/Linux based on debian named "it@school".

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

one thing all will agree:-

Linux Users percentage is growing day by day!
even hardcore windows users gave it a try atleast once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom