Windows vs Linux vs BSD's vs Solaris vs Other OS'es

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
^^Gxsaurav was acting ignorant, but now it seems he's cheating too in telling the stories. Thats what I call extreme fanboyism!

@tarey_g
Yea windows is much stabler than ever now. I'm extremely sorry for talking to u in Linux VS Windows angle. Those posts are appropriate for windows hero @Gxsaurav. Neways for personal remarks i'm sorry again if I in anyway offended ya, but I thought u were making fun of some linux supporting member here (who was trying to make a valid point) by saying "I'll add to to my funny quotes"! PEACE :)

Last edited:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
mediator said:
Why wasnt ur system running fine before SP2?? Why such misery and time wastage in enhancing ur system security?? U see u urself ssaying how much updating u are doing on windows and wasting ur time! Updates and updates all the time...ISnt it annoying??

ya the ol days when sp2 even sp1 was not released and visiting the ug sites was like ruining windows. The most common infection being RPC one.
Updates are not really big each time , i usually chk for updates in around 20 days and its mostly not more han 5-7 mb , i have a limited broadband connection. Few clicks a month is not really annoying

mediator said:
May be u urself shud do some spyware scan one day and tell the results here coz u only apply updates and visit al the freaky sites!

Gamer?? I see. Yea I agree these stupid security softwares arent for gamers! And 1.5 yrs without anti-spywares?? Do u know these malwares,adwares etc plunge down the gaming performance? May u shud give a scan to ur PC and put honest results here! I can clearly see how much ur PC is being used by others when a gamer is around! Its so very obvious that the chances of infections are greatly reduced when u spend most of ur time in gaming!

You can tell when windows is infected by spywares or viruses, it starts sucking , although i have a habit of installing image of my os in every two months which takes approx 3-5 mins, coz windows has one very bad thing called 'windows Rot'. Its the process by which a Windows machine becomes progressively slower the longer you use it and the more software you install on it. Gamers want pc to run at its best so installing saved image is the best thing.

mediator said:
Sorry for that! But I thought u were making fun of some other linux supporting member here who was sincerely discussing something and making a valid point! Saying something like "Added to my list of funny quotes" if isnt insulting then whats is it?? Please apologise to whoever u sad that about! Peace :)!

I had no intention to offend any member , i really found that one funny . Already apologised to jguru in previous post

mediator said:
Thats no personal remark! U have no idea what a personal remark can be like! Neways sorry again If u felt like me making a personal remark on u!

i have been around this forum from long time and i really do have idea what a personal remark is . I was just offended by the provoking language , its ok now. peace

Vyasram

The pWnster
@ mediator , what's ur typing speed :)

btw, i dont need to emphasize that linux or bsd is more stable than windows xp(be it xp sp2).

but one thing i wud like to point out is, the large number of distros of linuc out there. wud a noob be able to play a movie as easily as he can in windows, (goto mediaplayer and play) . In ubuntu, which i use , i need to install codecs ( and i still dont know how to do it, it asks me to run some commands in 2006). In windows, the only two reasons for a person to run a command is to hack windows or modify some deep interior settings. Most settings are taken care of by gui or regedit.

Are the linux programmers expecting their users to remember codes and commands for basic things like browsing and watching movies. Make linux completely command-less and completely gui-ed. Thats what windows does.

Also , is there a good app dev kit like visual studio or .net for linux. This is damn necessary if linux has to become "the OS".

As a linux noob , i wud like to ask the linux users one ques; whats the use of havin so many distros instead of having one with all the developers involved in it. I know this is against the very definition of open source, but Open source developers must unite if they want to become the best.

U get better hardware compatilibity, less clutches for users(noobs),one way.

@garyforgar (1st post)

it is true that nasa cant use linux becaust of vulnerabilities and bsods. but the same isn't the case with users, the prefer to have better ui than stability as its just a home/office pc. Btw, linux is still for the geeks.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Vyasram said:
In ubuntu, which i use , i need to install codecs ( and i still dont know how to do it, it asks me to run some commands in 2006). In windows, the only two reasons for a person to run a command is to hack windows or modify some deep interior settings. Most settings are taken care of by gui or regedit.

Thats just one case.Besides If you want functionality out of the box you can opt for other distros.There are many distros that give this.
Xandros,Vector Linux etc.
The reason ubuntu doesnt do this is because of legal problems
Check their site for more details.

Btw you can also use EasyUbuntu in Ubuntu to get all codecs and flash etc
Oh And it comes with a GUI.

Also If Windows is as secure as you guys clain why do we see so many
"I've got a virus please help" threads on this forum?

mediator

Technomancer
^^Believe me I'm very slow at typing! :)

vyasram said:
but one thing i wud like to point out is, the large number of distros of linuc out there. wud a noob be able to play a movie as easily as he can in windows, (goto mediaplayer and play) . In ubuntu, which i use , i need to install codecs ( and i still dont know how to do it, it asks me to run some commands in 2006). In windows, the only two reasons for a person to run a command is to hack windows or modify some deep interior settings. Most settings are taken care of by gui or regedit.
Already replied to such point before! But even for windows I ccant play a simple mpeg file initially when its installed! To give u an example, I intsalled the codec pack Klite on windows and win32codec for Linux! Even they say windows support is more I cudnt play most of file formats on Media player! Whereas on Xine, I cud play all of em! The files that used to give opening error in media player and winamp latest, used to work perfectly on Xine!
As for Linux, it has both GUI and commandline and gives u the utmost comfort to do whateva u want!

vyasram said:
Are the linux programmers expecting their users to remember codes and commands for basic things like browsing and watching movies. Make linux completely command-less and completely gui-ed. Thats what windows does.
Who told u command line is everything in Linux these days?? Why dont u try linux and tell urself??

vyasram said:
Also , is there a good app dev kit like visual studio or .net for linux. This is damn necessary if linux has to become "the OS".
U wanna know about an app dev kit?? I tell u wont find just one! There are plenty. Well the programming menu of My FC5 contains more than 20 entries, 30 may be! As u already know Linux is open source, the code is ready for u to be modified whereas u dont have same thing for windows. Visual studio like applications are there that can add to Linux! So u see there is more functionality on Linux. U can customise it completely to suit u. If u know about shell scripts, thn u wont even ask about Visual Studio! Yes .net thing is also available for Linux.

vyasram said:
As a linux noob , i wud like to ask the linux users one ques; whats the use of havin so many distros instead of having one with all the developers involved in it. I know this is against the very definition of open source, but Open source developers must unite if they want to become the best.
Nice QUestion! Now tell me if 2 students are studying, will they rise faster if they compete to one another or study differently i.e in different countries and different schools and completely unknown to each other??
So u see its the competetion that is the key to the growth and development of a particular area. Wud u enjoy so much if there was only one MNC(Multi NAtional Company)???? But if u have many, then there's competition to give customers the best! The same is the case in Linux. Many distro are there, competetion is there to give users the best. And that competetion is far much above than competition between linux and windows! And thats the cause of so much dvelopment on GUI thing in Linux in past 2-3 yrs alone! The community has grown far much stronger, popularity is rising as a result the number of apps is also rising much much faster than ver before!

For the hardware support I will agree to some extent that Linux is one step behind than windows!

vyasram said:
it is true that nasa cant use linux becaust of vulnerabilities and bsods. but the same isn't the case with users, the prefer to have better ui than stability as its just a home/office pc. Btw, linux is still for the geeks
BSODs in Linux?? No offence but thats what I called a Joke! I guess u really never ever really tried Linux did u?? The term BSOD is unexistent in Linux dictionary! In the *nix family there's not Linux alone! Nasa might may be or might not be using Linux, I dunno! But they must be definitely using embedded *nix like BSD etc!
As for better GUI why dont u read posts before?? Pick up any modern Linux distro and then find the difference between GUI of LInux and windows and the stability factor too!
Between I have many friends, who dont even like to use STyle Xp etc and all such softares, they just need stabilty and are fed up with te maintainence on windows and the BSODs,viruses,malwares,adwares,trojans,frequent updates,time wastage, amking images of OS etc!!

G

gxsaurav

Mehul...yeah I forgot that part; I just had one optical drive, thanks for clearing that up. I should have mentioned it

mediator

XGL in 2003, ya right....got any source or proof plz

& yes I m a fanboy, if that’s what makes u happy to think, I like to use my OS, from day 1, I used my OS without any AV & firewall too, for long time. Back in the dial up days, installing Windows Updates was not an easy task, so NAV & Sygate firewall were essential. With broadband, I don't even need 3rd party application to secure my computer, just a firewall to regulate internet traffic; doesn't Linux come with one too?

By the way, u got a lot of time to learn & write posts here, I don't...I just want to show u guys one thing, the words in my signature.

Quote:
U see u urself ssaying how much updating u are doing on windows and wasting ur time! Updates and updates all the time...ISnt it annoying??

When I installed ubuntu I was given 200 MB updates to install at first boot, what will u say about this, isn't this annoying too

& where was I cheating?

Quote:
So u see u need high system maintenance, have to be paranoid about security and stabilty so that others can use the system freely!

Tarey gave a good point, Imagine Linux in the place of Windows with 90% market share, then it would have been the primary target of all the malwares & viruses

Tarey, leave it man, they won't understand, they won't understand why Windows rules, & Linux is still a geek OS, like I said in one of my previous threads, it's just the user interface, let the designers make it instead of coders & Linux will rule in the future. Linux users are geeks for sure, they like to brag that they use Linux, just to look elite which infect they are not, mediator said, "don't u want to know how things work", well....u find out, I don't care how it works I got better things to learn then coding & commands

Vyasram

u are correct there isn't any standard IDE for Linux, apps for one distro does not always work with other distro

NASA uses Linux, just cos they don't need everything the OS provides, all they need is the core kernel, networking stack to send data back home, & some other customized modules. even more then UNIX Linux they used customized OS, however I can't be so sure cos it's classified info, & we are just assuming. Windows is a desktop OS, u think it will be installed on the Space ship for aliens to play games

mediator

Technomancer
Dude its Ok that ur the top fanboy for windows! But atleast learn to quote and classify ur posts to make it easy for others to read!

gxsaurav said:
& yes I m a fanboy, if that’s what makes u happy to think, I like to use my OS, from day 1, I used my OS without any AV & firewall too, for long time. Back in the dial up days, installing Windows Updates was not an easy task, so NAV & Sygate firewall were essential. With broadband, I don't even need 3rd party application to secure my computer, just a firewall to regulate internet traffic; doesn't Linux come with one too?
It doesnt makes me happy, but instead generates pity for u! In the olden dialup days?? Were u waiting that long for windows to get improved so that u can finally say that u dont use 3rd party softwares?? Ofcors Linux comes with its own firewall. But it doesnt keeps annoying like all the windows and 3rd party firewalls about new applications accessing the net. It seems U think I dont have windows eh?? I do....all autopatched,updated and secured and maintained vigorously!

gxsaurav said:
By the way, u got a lot of time to learn & write posts here, I don't...I just want to show u guys one thing, the words in my signature.
Nope, I dont spend much time in debating! Believe me! But even if u dont like to write, u shud quote properly ethically! As for ur signature...........doood I guess ur doing opposite to what u ave written in ur signature! If u want to use Windows than use it. Why r u comparing it with Linux and making all here laugh on u?? Read ur very own first post and then the subsequent posts!

gxsaurav said:
When I installed ubuntu I was given 200 MB updates to install at first boot, what will u say about this, isn't this annoying too
Have u ever seen what those updates are that u so happily said the same for UBUNTU?? More than 90% updates are for Linux applications to bring new features in them! U can still do without those updates when a new Linux distro is launched in less than 6 months! Can u do XP without the updates?? U urself are saying that the XP updates are the sole basis of ur Windows survival! Cud u still do without the SP2 and all the updates and spare parts of XP that are launched in installments to make it complete??

gxsaurav said:
& where was I cheating?
By telling incomplete stories to uphold ur fanboyism and then accusing @mehul instead that he was telling incomplete stories! Thats the limit of fanboyism dude!

gxsaurav said:
Tarey gave a good point, Imagine Linux in the place of Windows with 90% market share, then it would have been the primary target of all the malwares & viruses
Oh brother! Do u have hard time quoting?? I guess u dont like to reply to my points already made! I already replied to such things dude in DETAIL. Thats why I say quote and reply every line of all mah posts correctly if have the GUTS!

gxsaurav said:
Tarey, leave it man, they won't understand, they won't understand why Windows rules, & Linux is still a geek OS, like I said in one of my previous threads, it's just the user interface, let the designers make it instead of coders & Linux will rule in the future. Linux users are geeks for sure, they like to brag that they use Linux, just to look elite which infect they are not, mediator said, "don't u want to know how things work", well....u find out, I don't care how it works I got better things to learn then coding & commands
Why leave?? Dont u like to cultivate ur brains in the company of geeks?? You have to make all the linux supporters @mehul,@jguru etc and me to agree with u! If u cant do that or cant reply with valid statements than that itself shows how much inferior windows is than Linux and how much inferior u feel! See we all are replying to every single statments of urs with valid statements! But ur making all others laugh on u and generate pity on u by saying, that these valid statements are hilarious, like a typical loser who dont have anything else to say!

gxsaurav said:
Vyasram

u are correct there isn't any standard IDE for Linux, apps for one distro does not always work with other distro
I can only pity the size of ur brains here and sympathise on u for ur ignorance! If restricting a development interface/program to one OS is OK in ur opinion then may god help u!

gxsaurav said:
NASA uses Linux, just cos they don't need everything the OS provides, all they need is the core kernel, networking stack to send data back home, & some other customized modules. even more then UNIX Linux they used customized OS, however I can't be so sure cos it's classified info, & we are just assuming. Windows is a desktop OS, u think it will be installed on the Space ship for aliens to play games
Here u urself are indirectly saying how much inferior the windows kernel is!! If the heart is weak then how can the overall body be strong?? Neways from that last line it seems ur confessing that windows is only meant to play games and yea I agree windows is better in GAMING area!!

Quote quote quote....and entertain me!

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Vyasram, The Ubuntu Linux most guys use is a free version. So they can't pack all
the proprietary codecs & other proprietary software packages!! You want a Linux
to play proprietary codecs like Windows Media, Real media, VCD/DVD etc.,. buy
a commercial version of Suse 10.1 from novell.com. It's a dual-layered DVD with
more than 8 GB of software packages that can play all the media files you can think of!!!
It costs Rs 4000/-. Whereas on the other hand Windows XP can't play DVDs, AAC
audio etc.,!!!!

@Gxsaurav, you said "There is no standard IDE in Linux". Ofcourse there are IDEs
available in Linux - Eclipse IDE for C/C++ & JAVA, Anjuta IDE for C/C++.
NetBeans IDE for Java ( Swing, J2EE), JDeveloper IDE for Java (from Oracle)
I think this is more than enough!!

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
@Jguru- freespire linux also gaves off propreitory codecs.also as for .net thing..there is mono available.....I think Mr.gxSourav Knows Linux but adement on his old OS(windows!) sure is fanboyism with a big loss for the FANBOY who purposely bite on to the buggy Windows.the second i know Linux and Free Software,i quit off my Windows XP....most ppl who understand the virtues of Linux and FLOSS never tried to justify that old propreitory model of that monopoly operating System-windows.btw we can wait for Singularity to come...:D

Venom

Journeyman
Sorry had to post.

It sucks to see people addicted to 'one' particular technology. Addiction in fact is very very harmful in technology, fanboyism is alltogether a different issue.

Looking at the way Gx [Congrats on your MVP] talks, he'd die of starvation if Windows decides to close?

Same with Linux enthus, they'd die if Windows was forced onto them ?

People just dont think, what an OS is, and what it is for. Its just a bridge between the comp and user, and why on all of saturn's 35 moons would one build an OS that doesnt do that properly?

Sigh, all these wars, for what?

AND

People who respect Windows, I dont hate you but its like cow dung [your posts] if you dont possess a licensed issue of the OS. Its because of you people the buyers face difficulty activating and entering 100-lettered keys for even the smallest software.

its not that if you cant afford Windows, get a licensed Linux copy. No, what I mean is, there can be no way you cant afford an OS. Just stop your high speed broadband connection for 5 months and get a licensed copy with the money saved; than get caught and put in jail for what you think is such a petty crime?

{one special request before I leave}
Gx, please, get a room with locks and one PC+net, now install only Linux and use it totally, then comment on what is there and what not and why not. You talk very ignorantly here, just having a MVP doesnt mean you have to defend MS till the end, they appreciate finding faults too.

blackpearl

The Devil
mediator said:
Ofcors Linux comes with its own firewall. But it doesnt keeps annoying like all the windows and 3rd party firewalls about new applications accessing the net

You call it annoying? I call it better control, I know exactly what applications are accessing the net and no app can use the net without my permission.

mediator said:
If u neither use firewall nor use any antispyware etc than its hard for me to believe u that ur system is still free of adwares,malwares etc and number of startup entries still the same as before when u first installed a software!

Linux means complete freedom from any sorta tension. Visit any site without any hindrance carefreely etc. U cant have the same for windows. Do u?

Is it so hard for you to install one AV and one firewall? You are prepared to run dozens of commands but lazy enough to make a few clicks. OK, u can browse the net without AV while I have to install AV before browsing, so what? I can ask you the same thing about mp3 and VCD. I can play mp3s right after installing Windows, can you do it in your linux box?

Let us strip our Broadband connection both from a newly installed windows box and linux box. Since there is no net, no need of firewall, AV and antispywares. Now how many programs can you install and run in your PC without having to download dependencies from th net. How many s/w can you install from the Digit DVD without facing one dependency error? Linux is completely dependent on the net, you can do nothing without it, isn't that annoying? Installing a simple firewall is annoying but running complex comands and downloading hundreds of dependencies is not? Isn't it annoying that you can't use Photoshop or choose from dozens of Office suits, but removing a few application from startup is annoying? First decide which is more important for you, surfing the net without AV or more user friendliness or having more freedom in the form of applications. Get your priorities right.

Let me tell you a story:

There were 2 friends, both of them grew up together and studied in the same school. After school one friend left for the city (lets call him Bill) while the other stayed behind in village (lets call him Linus)

In the beginning Bill faced a lot of problems. The city was mean and full of bad people. He was cheated by everyone, someday he would lose his bag while another day he was pickpocketted. But Bill did not return back to village because he knew he can build his future only in the city. Slowly he began to learn how to keep himself safe from the robbers and theifs. He got a job and had a great carreer. He began to enjoy city life. But he remained vigilant and alert at all times, so it was almost impossible to cheat him. Occassionally, inspite of his vigilance he would get pickpocketed, but that did not not make him return to the village, it would be foolish and timid.

Linus on the otherhand was living a simple yet fulfilling life in the village. He was a farmer and grew his own food. He did not have to buy food from the market (i.e. no third party food. All vegetables and cereals are grown in his own backyard and he was very happy about it and often used to write to Bill and boast about it.

One day Bill decided to invite Linus to the city. Linus arrived at the station and it was hardly 10 minutes into the city when somebody stloe his luggae from the platform. Linus was unhappy. He caught a taxi and the taxi driver knowing he was an outsider drove him round and round and charged him a thousand rupees. When Linus reached into his pocket to pay, he found his purse gone. Linus was close to crying, he was yet to meet his friend and now he was stranded in a big city without any money. Finally somehow he made it to the station and caught the first train back home. When he reached his village he called all the villagers and told them how bad the city was and how worthless it was to stay there. His friend Bill tried hard to convince him otherwise but he would not listen. Linus argued "I can sleep with my door open at night and not a single stuff gets stolen, can you do that in your city?" Now why on earth Linus wanted to sleep with his door open was beyond Bill. Is locking a door that hard? Finally Bill realised that it was useless to talk to linus and left him for good.

mediator

Technomancer
@blackpearl.......dude if u read all the succeeding posts of mine and other linux supporters u'll see all ur queries here have been already answered!
Neways lets proceed!
blackpearl said:
You call it annoying? I call it better control, I know exactly what applications are accessing the net and no app can use the net without my permission.
Ofcors its annoying. If u wanna term it as "better control", then I cant help u with ur fanboyism either! In that case Linux got much better control!!

blackpearl said:
Is it so hard for you to install one AV and one firewall? You are prepared to run dozens of commands but lazy enough to make a few clicks. OK, u can browse the net without AV while I have to install AV before browsing, so what? I can ask you the same thing about mp3 and VCD. I can play mp3s right after installing Windows, can you do it in your linux box?
Hey dude, I gave a fitting reply to the AV and firewall things in detail IF U CARED TO READ THEM! Please quote them in next post!
For mp3, If u cared to read @Jguru's post u wudn't be questioning this!
See man If I'm quoting u doesnt mean u only quote me ofr that post! U oughta read all the succeeding posts of everyone including me and then reply properly! It will save ur time and mine as well! So please read the posts and then say about mp3,firewall etc!

blackpearl said:
Let us strip our Broadband connection both from a newly installed windows box and linux box. Since there is no net, no need of firewall, AV and antispywares. Now how many programs can you install and run in your PC without having to download dependencies from th net. How many s/w can you install from the Digit DVD without facing one dependency error? Linux is completely dependent on the net, you can do nothing without it, isn't that annoying? Installing a simple firewall is annoying but running complex comands and downloading hundreds of dependencies is not? Isn't it annoying that you can't use Photoshop or choose from dozens of Office suits, but removing a few application from startup is annoying? First decide which is more important for you, surfing the net without AV or more user friendliness or having more freedom in the form of applications. Get your priorities right.
Hey man no offence, but thats the most absurd thing I heard! Now if u wanna strip the box of the net, then strip the box of the cdrom,floppy,USB too after freshly install Linux and windows. Now tell if u can even start using windows without drivers,patches,updates,3rdparty protection etc! In such case u can still do programming on freshly installed Linux (i.e c++,java,perl,shell etc), office work(Open offie org),play games bundled with Linux.
Oh well, now let the propreitary thing come into picture! FRESHLY Install propreitary Linux from Novell like u said (read @Jguru's post) without net. So u see without even net,the cdrom,USB,floppy etc, in the Novel SUSE 10 that has 8 GB of propreitary softwares u can play any file format u can even think of! Windows come no where in the picture!!!

Neways who told u Linux needs Net connection for its existence?? Ofcors u can install dependencies etc withou net too! If u have net the things only become simpler, and its a matter of one command to install things then unlike windows where u either download or install from cdrom and then put the serial key, restart,stop the statup entries etc and all de s***!

WHy dont u use modern Linux distros to experience that wide difference?? If u have a proper understanding, then u urself will find the difference! I'm no Linux fanboy, but definitely using Linux has enlightened me a lot and get past the windows frustration!

blackpearl said:
Let me tell you a story:

There were 2 friends, both of them grew up together and studied in the same school. After school one friend left for the city (lets call him Bill) while the other stayed behind in village (lets call him Linus)

In the beginning Bill faced a lot of problems. The city was mean and full of bad people. He was cheated by everyone, someday he would lose his bag while another day he was pickpocketted. But Bill did not return back to village because he knew he can build his future only in the city. Slowly he began to learn how to keep himself safe from the robbers and theifs. He got a job and had a great carreer. He began to enjoy city life. But he remained vigilant and alert at all times, so it was almost impossible to cheat him. Occassionally, inspite of his vigilance he would get pickpocketed, but that did not not make him return to the village, it would be foolish and timid.

Linus on the otherhand was living a simple yet fulfilling life in the village. He was a farmer and grew his own food. He did not have to buy food from the market (i.e. no third party food. All vegetables and cereals are grown in his own backyard and he was very happy about it and often used to write to Bill and boast about it.

One day Bill decided to invite Linus to the city. Linus arrived at the station and it was hardly 10 minutes into the city when somebody stloe his luggae from the platform. Linus was unhappy. He caught a taxi and the taxi driver knowing he was an outsider drove him round and round and charged him a thousand rupees. When Linus reached into his pocket to pay, he found his purse gone. Linus was close to crying, he was yet to meet his friend and now he was stranded in a big city without any money. Finally somehow he made it to the station and caught the first train back home. When he reached his village he called all the villagers and told them how bad the city was and how worthless it was to stay there. His friend Bill tried hard to convince him otherwise but he would not listen. Linus argued "I can sleep with my door open at night and not a single stuff gets stolen, can you do that in your city?" Now why on earth Linus wanted to sleep with his door open was beyond Bill. Is locking a door that hard? Finally Bill realised that it was useless to talk to linus and left him for good.
Oh man what a story! But can u please eloborate on the morale of the story and how every single line of it is connected here?? If cities have pickpockets, then villages has gangs that can genocide the people and commit all sorta crimes! Take pictures from UP,BIHAR etc and make no distinctions.

Next time please read all the succeeding posts from the last time from where u quoted my last post for u! It will help us in making the discussion interesting and prevent the points to be repeated!

Last edited:

Venom

Journeyman
blackpearl said:
Let us strip our Broadband connection both from a newly installed windows box and linux box. Since there is no net, no need of firewall, AV and antispywares. Now how many programs can you install and run in your PC without having to download dependencies from th net. How many s/w can you install from the Digit DVD without facing one dependency error?
Atleast, we dont pirate. Now onto your statements.

Yes IT IS DIFFICULT TO INSTALL AND MAINTAIN A FIREWALL AND AN ANTIVIRUS IF YOU HAVENT EXPERIENCED.

And yes I CAN RUN MP3s, DVDs, VIDEOs etcs out of box from linux. Bet you cant run DVDs lmao!

No net? No worries, you cant get any softwares either, installing it is a void issue.

Digit is a fool not to give dependencies along. And there are these guys who dont like anything new to come in thier way.

Most people who say they can run audio and music out of box from windows and laugh at linux users need to rephrase thier lines to "We can run mp3s and avis on our pirated copies of xp cause we are jerks muhahah"
Hey man no offence, but thats the most absurd thing I heard! Now if u wanna strip the box of the net, then strip the box of the cdrom,floppy,USB too after freshly install Linux and windows. Now tell if u can even start using windows without drivers,patches,updates,3rdparty protection etc! In such case u can still do programming on freshly installed Linux (i.e c++,java,perl,shell etc), office work(Open offie org),play games bundled with Linux.

Oh man what a story! But can u please eloborate on the morale of the story and how every single line of it is connected here?? If cities have pickpockets, then villages has gangs that can genocide the people and commit all sorta crimes! Take pictures from UP,BIHAR etc and make no distinctions.
:lol:

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
blackpearl said:
Let me tell you a story:

See there's a big flaw in the story. You forgot that though the doors were open, there were many huge, strong guards guarding the house.
Not just linux but most Open Source OS's come with a pretty powerful firewall, IDS, rootkit checker, auditing tools and lots of security tools which make it difficult to penetrate. But, once in a while there will be a person with so great a knowledge to break into any OS, how well it is guarded. No doubt about that, good hackers have demonstrated how at ease they are breaking into any systems but it's a tedious job and one where you need indefinite patience.
And I am not fighting against you or anyone, just trying to make a point. Maybe I am being too direct then I am really sorry. But, I will not change my stance, I still believe that when it comes to security I will anyday trust an Open Source software cos it's code is available in the open and can be audited by biggest of experts around the world. Whereas you never know what a closed source software is doing behind your back.
Though there are sometimes I can sympatise with windows. Like in the case in EU when symantec opposed closing up of the kernel. How can a third party app be allowed kernel level access, that's just plain stupid. The dangers of kernel level access have been well demonstrated by some conceptual rootkits, which can cause havoc to the system. Thankfully they aren't in the wild yet. And rootkits is one big thing that has been facing *nix based OS'es for years and now it is becoming a huge threat to windows. Pretty difficult days ahead.
One thing many windows users need to learn now, not to allow admin level access to the users connected to the net. This will cause a bit of ill ease but will enhance security by leaps and bounds.

mediator

Technomancer
^^Ofcors How Can anyone trust closed source software, even the SYMANTEC was caught using rootkits and confessed !!
*www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2148516/symantec-caught-rootkit
*blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=747&tag=nl.e589
*www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1910077,00.asp

I dunno how much privacy can be maintained in windows alone!

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
look likes some people here need a brush up open source. so i found a nice presentaion for u guys. but as it was made in Open Document format most of windows lovers will not be able to see. so i converted it into PPT for u.
open_source(not working for not)
try this *www.4shared.com/file/4421470/ce02533c/opensource_conveted_into_office.html

P.S: i am not the source for it. the name of author is written in the document itself

who said all linux users are greek??
see me, i am not a greek but still able to run it just because we have plenty of free & quality support for it. for windows every time there was a snag in pc. i wasted 200rs to call a local man & repair it. now with linux i also get a chance to learn something new:p

Last edited:

blackpearl

The Devil
OK guys lets stop fighting. Everybody has said what was there to be said, so no more talks about mp3, firewall and AV. But what surprises me is the hatred you people show towards Windows. If you use Linux and are happy with it, then good for you. Be happy, but why abuse Windows? Some people can do without games and all the bells and whistles but not everybody. Some people are happy typing letters in OpenOffice and playing reversi and Mahjong, while some prefer to play Splinter Cell. Its just a matter of choice who uses what. Just because you use Linux doesn't make Windows bad. If Windows users have no problem in you using Linux why are the linux people hell bent into converting every Windows users to Linux?

It may surprise you to hear that I use Linux too along with Windows. Though right now I have none but I m going to install Suse 10.1 soon. Previously I had Suse 10, FC4, Ubuntu, Mandrake, Xandros .. you name it. Frankly I don't hate Linux, but it annoys me when people make some stupid remarks against Windows. I have WMP, VLC, Media Player Classic etc all together on my PC. I prefer to use VLC and hate some features of WMP. But that does not mean that I write pages and pages of stuff against WMP because some people still prefer WMP.

You will learn why most people don't like to use Linux when I tell you a small incident. This small incident happened when I installed Linux in one of my friends PC after convincing him to try Linux. "Its like windows", I told him. This is what happened:

After installation my friend said, "Lets play some songs"
"No you can't right now. You have to download some stuff"
"OK, then install my modem"
"Oops!! you have an internal modem right? That won't work"
"Why not"
"'Coz there are no drivers"
"Hmmm, ok lets see my drive"
"Just wait. I have to run some commands.... OK done"
"Do I have to do this every time I have to view the HD"
"No, I have added it to fstab"
"f-what??"
"Forget it"
"Lets run this game"
"Thats a windows game, it won't run in Linux"
"Thats bad. Give me some linux game then"
"Err.. there are none"
"What??? are you mad?"
"Oh, there are a few, but I m afraid you wil not like it"
"Hell!!! and you call 'its like windows'. Get it out of my computer"

So thats how it is. Unless I can answer to those questions my friend asked in affirmative, there is no way any person would want to use Linux.

mediator

Technomancer
blackpearl said:
OK guys lets stop fighting. Everybody has said what was there to be said, so no more talks about mp3, firewall and AV. But what surprises me is the hatred you people show towards Windows. If you use Linux and are happy with it, then good for you. Be happy, but why abuse Windows? Some people can do without games and all the bells and whistles but not everybody. Some people are happy typing letters in OpenOffice and playing reversi and Mahjong, while some prefer to play Splinter Cell. Its just a matter of choice who uses what. Just because you use Linux doesn't make Windows bad. If Windows users have no problem in you using Linux why are the linux people hell bent into converting every Windows users to Linux?
Thats a very nice way to end a debate in which u got nothing else to say! Why no more talks about mp3,firewall,AV?? Its u and other window fanboys who started talking about mp3s etc. ANd now when everybody enlightened u guys u wanna talk no more??
I suare, I dont have any hatred towards Windows. I already told windows is better than linux in gaming field! So I use windows sometimes to play games. All my family uses Windows too except me coz thats the OS they started with! They dont have time like me to learn better things. My bro is an extreme gamer. But sometimes he's also fed up with windows apps that crashes sometimes unexpectedly. So he has also started using linux. At first he used to say what's there in linux. But seeing me for 2+ yrs, he has changed his opinion!
No body is abusing windows, but do u think bringing comparisons between OSs bad ??
Windows users have no problem?? Dude I tell u one thing. I guess I was the first one to start with *nix in mah college. Everyday my friends used to ask me how to correct this and that windows problems though I had little knowledge of those problems I was glad I could help them. BUt then it was getting too much. And then I started saying why dont u use Linux?? I may sound a little mean here, but believe me almost half of my batch shifted to linux! On the chat whenever I asked "Which yahoo messenger u using buddy?", most of em replied GAIM! I was shocked! So u see if somebody who is not so good in maintaining windows and has no time to repair it everytime and spends 200 bucks weekly in calling & getting Windows repaired Via technician, advicing him/her to try *nix has got nothng wrong!

Neways no one converts win users to become linux users! Giving the frustrated win users a glimpse of linux is enough. Rest is upto the frustrated win users to use linux.

blackpearl said:
It may surprise you to hear that I use Linux too along with Windows. Though right now I have none but I m going to install Suse 10.1 soon. Previously I had Suse 10, FC4, Ubuntu, Mandrake, Xandros .. you name it. Frankly I don't hate Linux, but it annoys me when people make some stupid remarks against Windows. I have WMP, VLC, Media Player Classic etc all together on my PC. I prefer to use VLC and hate some features of WMP. But that does not mean that I write pages and pages of stuff against WMP because some people still prefer WMP.
Yeah I'm very very surprised to know that u use linux! Though u used linux u dont know about the MP3s,firewall,Xine,dependencies about which u talked so strangely and ignorantly?? I guess u intsalled so many distros just to see which ne looks good..didnt u?? I have been using Fedora for past 2+ yrs and very satisfied by it.....though there might be better distros than it!
Neways no one makes remarks for windows for no reason. Those remarks are the result of accumulated frustration in the minds of windows users who have witnessed and experienced the performance of Linux !!
For wmp and VLC, in a discussion concerning these, will u sit quiet?? If u dont wanna take part in the discussion "Windows Vs Linux" u can leave right away! First u come here to see and get enlightened about Linux and then feel inferior using windows. WHo asked u to peek into this thread?? This is the official thread recreated by a mod here specifically for this particular discussion! I hope that was ur last post then! If u wanna continue then make valid points instead of requesting not to insult an inferior OS!

blackpearl said:
You will learn why most people don't like to use Linux when I tell you a small incident. This small incident happened when I installed Linux in one of my friends PC after convincing him to try Linux. "Its like windows", I told him. This is what happened:

After installation my friend said, "Lets play some songs"
"No you can't right now. You have to download some stuff"
"OK, then install my modem"
"Oops!! you have an internal modem right? That won't work"
"Why not"
"'Coz there are no drivers"
"Hmmm, ok lets see my drive"
"Just wait. I have to run some commands.... OK done"
"Do I have to do this every time I have to view the HD"
"No, I have added it to fstab"
"f-what??"
"Forget it"
"Lets run this game"
"Thats a windows game, it won't run in Linux"
"Thats bad. Give me some linux game then"
"Err.. there are none"
"What??? are you mad?"
"Oh, there are a few, but I m afraid you wil not like it"
"Hell!!! and you call 'its like windows'. Get it out of my computer"

So thats how it is. Unless I can answer to those questions my friend asked in affirmative, there is no way any person would want to use Linux.
Same old typical story and lack of patience by a person to learn something new and better! Even to become a guitarist,dancer, ultimate gamer u need to have patience. Dont u think so?? Ask ur friend if he was a born genius that started playing games and using/installing softwares and printing pages all by himself when he first started using windows when he was a kid! I'm sure u'll leave him with dry lips and throat after that!

Ok u told the story of free linux and that too old linux distros and not the propreitary one. If u had, all ur points in the story wud have been void!!

Neways lemme rephrase the story in favour of Linux now. This is will be interesting I promise!

After installation of fresh windows without any patches,drivers etc ur friend says "I wanna see DVD movie"

You : "No cant, u need 3rd party software for that or updates"!
Friend : "Why cant i do it right now"!
Friend : "ok lets connect PC to TV"
You : "Cant, u need drivers first"!
Friend : "What ? where are drivers??"
You : "Somewhere in cd wallet or in cupboard!"
Friend : "What de heck, ok lets play chess"!
You : "Cant need to download it from net"!
Friend : "OMG!"
You : "See this is a fresh Xp, and prone to viruses, specially blaster worm. If we connect to net or update, then there's a good chance we'll be affected by many viruses. So lets download AV first"!
Friend : "But if we download Av, wont we be affected by virus and all the infections still during download and updates?"
You : "Yeah ur right, hey I got a digit CD. Lets install a trialware antivirus temporarily"!
Friend : "Temporarily? Then it has to be updated,cracked, and PC retarted"
You : "Right";
Friend : "OMG! I'm doomed! How much of my precious time will u waste?"
You : "No probs buddy! Just a matter 1 hr or so, we can download using INTERNEL MODEM"!
Friend slaps u : "Get outta here! ur frustrating me"!
You : "But this is just the starting man. U need to similarly install AV,firewall,updates,patches. This will take like a whole day using INTERNEL MODEM. Then u need to install Winamp,winzip,winrar and install Microsft office one by one alternately,crack them,install,restart PC and remove start up entries. This will take another whole day using INTERNEL MODEM. Then install C++,java.perl if u need them. Oh they are free, but will take 5-7 hrs to download them via INTERNEL MODEM".

You again : "When u installed everything and made windows complete, then u need to make restore points and tweak ur OS to make it perform optimally. All of this will take not less than 10 minutes! If u dont do it carefully and mess up the boot screen and sensitive areas, u may end up doing the whole excercise again!"

Friend,developed dark circles beneath his eyes : "You f***ing moron, good for nothing, get outta here right now or I'll kick ur a** so hard that u wont ever help anybody with windows! Just piss off!"

Your friend wastes 2-3 days in completely installing and making windows ready to use. He sits and messes somehow due to lack of knowledge and gets a BSOD! His blood boils, gets his AK-47 from the drawer and finds ur address from his jokebook!
Do I need to narrate what happened next??

Next I enter.
Me : "Whats up buddy? U seem to look quite agitated!"
Friend : "I'm searching the address of blackpearl"!
Me : "Why? I watch the monitor and understand what an ordeal the friend passed through and say chill man. U want freedom dont u??"!
Me : "See the best things in life are often free"!
Me : "Ok see I have 2 DVD's one for free linux and other proprietary one. If u install free linux, u'll need to spend some 1 hr or less on INTERNEL MODEM to install a few dependencies and xmms,xine, and win32codecs! If u want propreitary one u need to pay but less than Xp. But u'll have no problesm once installed"!

Friend : "Just one hour on free linux? That moron made me sit almost 3 days now to install windows completely. 1 hr is nothing in front of that. lets proceed"!

Me : "Install linux with everything in the CD's, Issue just one command and it installs everything in 1 hr"!
Friend : "What happened, did u install everything, am i ready to use it now?"
Me : "Ofcors! Try it"!
Friend : "OMG, but u didnt even use the CD's and 3rd party softwares to install them one by one, where are the cracks etc, and u didnt even restart?? Are u sure its done!"

Me : "U doubt me??"
friend..speechless and then : "But...duh...uh...has Av got installed,firewall,anti-spywares????"
Me : "Listen dood U can download viruses from net and play with them on linux. It has got much better firewall already installed now"!
Friend, enlightened now : "Ur GOd! Whats the name of thjis linux"

Me : "This is Fedora, u can try any other distro too. All got competition and keep getting better in their competition!"

Friend, now instead of developing dark circles using windows, shows his sparkling/lighted eyes after experiencing every new Linux distro. Instead of wasting his 2-3 days on Windows installation, he tries 5-6 distros in every 2 days to see every distro has got something new! Finally he achieves supreme enlightenment and sticks to one distro and enjoys freedom and finally thanks me that I saved him from wasting his time on PC maintainence on windows, installing,reformatting and reinstalling etc!

Liked the story??
So thats how it is. If u show them the right path correctly, the person will think more than twice for it and definitely will give it a try and get enlightened! If u urself dunno correctly (like mp3,dependencies etc like u said) then how will u guide others??

Neways bye, c ya! If u wanna still discuss then stop making stories and begging others to stop making windows look Puny and yeah, please quote all my points from the very last posts like I said u before if u really wanna continue! Chill!

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
[Ranting]Why do these topics keep on popping up again?[/Ranting]

By the way did the Linux and Windows warring sides hear of ReactOS. I think if they did they would stop fighting and start living in absolute harmony

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom