Windows vs Linux vs BSD's vs Solaris vs Other OS'es

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsethi

Journeyman
These are not my personal views. But a site very popular in Digit forums *merawindows.com/ is displaying this thread on its front page. I just went to this site to get vista DVD.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Dr Sethi, Everyone knows that the guys who use Windows claim that it's the best!!!
I know very well that it's not the case!! Everyone thought that it was your view!!
Anyway thanks for clearing the doubt.

G

gxsaurav

I have already said it previously on many such debates on this forum. better read those, isn't these the conclusion...prove me wrong on these points plz.....

Windows

Works everywhere, any hardware
Works all the time, u have a lot of hardware & software supported
Dirt cheap, PC hardware is available anywhere

Cons

User friendly, so less secure, admin right everywhere. Good things it's going to change
Maximum market share, due to which primary target of virus etc
The old saying: Intel inside, idiot outside, just use common sense
Not much in included out of the box, if they provide, they get sued

Linux

Installs everywhere, on any X86/PPC system

100000 of distributions to choose from, a lot of things are already bundled, such as IM client, browser, it's free, so anyone can download & use

Cons

Lack of hardware driver support, due to lack of standard. One driver doesn't work with other distributions, Driver manufacture cannot open source their drivers, it's their own innovation & invention on which they have spend a lot of money. They can't give the source code just like that

Lack of features in the bundled application & still the other companies get blamed for it, for not going open source, oh comon, u said u are a coder & programmer, well, can u give your own thinking & invented source code for free without some money. How will u feel when u charge for your own application, make it open source, & see someone else copying it & selling for more money with a few cosmetic change, saying it's his

Software are far behind in functionality, IM clients don't support features like voice chat & webcam
Media players do not come with a codec, cos it's not open source, well, isn't FFDshow or the core of FFDshow an open source project? Why can't they bundle it

mediator

Technomancer
Hehehehehehe :D :D :D, @gxsaurav ur really one ignorant,frustrated fanboy I have ever seen! All ur points here radiate ur ignorance and u radiate them so well, that I really can't stop laughing. Half of ur points have been proven wrong by meh in previous posts. I see u STill haven't shed ur bad habit of repeating and getting urself embarrased eh??

U just like to make absurd posts eh, and no replies?? Are u talking to urself and feeling high in ur ignorance?? Neways I wont play with u unless u reply to mah previous posts. If u do that, then I'll promise here to quote every single line of ur above post and make u look even more miserable.

G

gxsaurav

u r right, i don't read long posts.....can u plz point to what u r saying....i m not gonna dig, u do it yourself

& by the way, i still m waiting for u to prove those exect points wrong. M I wrong if i say, that FFDShow is open source, yet it is not included in linux, tell me why plz? Even VLC player is open source, why is it not included with distros, when it can play almost any file by itself, as it comes with open source codecs. Why do we have to install it via internet

M I wrong, when i say Linux lacks hardware support, & one driver doesn't work with other. Why do i have to re-compile the kernal when installing graphics driver (an example)

like i said, enough of this nonsence. U wanna use Linux, fine, don't spread lies about Windows plz, unless u know about them, victim yeah right, u r also victim to Lack of features, lack of hardware support, lack of codecs & decoders etc, but no it's not the fault of linux

like one user said previously, Linux is & will always be a Geek OS, normal users won't use it, cos they don't wanna read half of google just to find a driver, hell, i used ubuntu, it doesn't even connects to Dial up by itself.

kafi kabil ho tum meditator, just cos u use linux, u feel u r elite, & better then the rest cos u know linux while other don't wanna learn an OS, they wanna use it

Last edited by a moderator:

mediator

Technomancer
:D :D :D, oh guess u forgot about @Jguru's post then! That wud be the final answer to all ur myths and extreme windows fanboyism.

gxsaurav said:
u r right, i don't read long posts.....can u plz point to what u r saying....i m not gonna dig, u do it yourself
Now u making excuses to hide ur face?? So sweet :D!

And I lied?? Thats a new one! I'm telling again n again n again to quote meh wherever I posted absurd or lied! Can u please do that before making comments like that?? (Remember, Every comment need a proof.)
I BET U WONT HAVE THE GUTS TO DO THAT! I CHALLENGE U TO QUOTE EVERY SINGLE LINE OF MINE FROM ALL MAH POSTS AND REPLY TO THEM, IF U REALLY THINK WINDOWS IS THAT GOOD. IF U CAN'T THEN THATS SELF EXPLANATORY AS TO HOW GOOD WINDOWS IS!!

U need a glass of lime water dude!

Last edited:
G

gxsaurav

i have to say,....u can very well be a lawer, u are not pointing me wrong at all....just telling me to fight, when i don't

i already said, use whatever u like, don't spread lies, u tell me, was i wrong when i pointed out the weakness of linux. Everything has flaws, but u r saying it like only Windows has flaws

And I lied?? Thats a new one! I'm telling again n again n again to quote meh wherever I posted absurd or lied! Can u please do that before making comments like that?? (Remember, Every comment need a proof.)
I BET U WONT HAVE THE GUTS TO DO THAT! I CHALLENGE U TO QUOTE EVERY SINGLE LINE OF MINE FROM ALL MAH POSTS AND REPLY TO THEM, IF U REALLY THINK WINDOWS IS THAT GOOD. IF U CAN'T THEN THATS SELF EXPLANATORY AS TO HOW GOOD WINDOWS IS!!

true, very true, i don't have guts to stay awake whole night, read long posts, & and argue on point, that will do no good for me, while insted studying books or working in some workstations apps will help me, cos i know how to use Windows, which u have proved that u don't.

This shows my guts to u man, i don't have guts to argue like this, i don't wanna argue, i m chinking out, yeah....whats the point of arguing, will i or u become moderator of this forum if one wins over the other, or will we get Rs 10k as reward. U wanna use linux, fine use it....why saying lies about Windows thats it's insecure, which it is it not if u know how to use it. Even i can say Linux is not user friendly, cos i don't know the commands in it

bye

mediator

Technomancer
:D:D Hey dude, why dont u reply to mah posts instead of posting personal remarks like lieing and expressing ur frustration, radiating ignorance in full glory and irrelevant things as above??

gxsaurav said:
why saying lies about Windows thats it's insecure, which it is it not if u know how to use it. Even i can say Linux is not user friendly, cos i don't know the commands in it
Already discussed that before in FULL LENGTH. Dont repeat kid! Why make urself look even further miserable? Ur crossing the threshold of misery! :)

gxsaurav said:
i have to say,....u can very well be a lawer
Thanx! :D

gxsaurav said:
i already said, use whatever u like, don't spread lies, u tell me, was i wrong when i pointed out the weakness of linux. Everything has flaws, but u r saying it like only Windows has flaws
Prove ur statement that I'm lieing! Almost whole of ur previous 2 posts have been covered by me before in this thread. So quote them,reply to them and prove em if I'm wrong and then call me lier. Have some self-esteem dude! Ur making urself look miserable,pathetic.
I thought so much about u when i congratulated u for MVP. And now look at u! Ur scaring away the people who thought much about u and instead generating pity in em for u!

gxsaurav said:
true, very true, i don't have guts to stay awake whole night, read long posts, & and argue on point
Nice Confession, but I guess thats more of an excuse to hide ur face!

I BET U DONT HAVE THE BALLS TO FIGHT PROPERLY NOW! I CHALLENGE U TO QUOTE EVERY SINGLE LINE OF MINE FROM ALL MAH POSTS AND REPLY TO THEM, IF U REALLY THINK WINDOWS IS THAT GOOD. IF U CAN'T THEN THATS SELF EXPLANATORY AS TO HOW GOOD WINDOWS IS!! I BET U DONT HAVE THE BALLS TO DO THAT!

gxsaurav said:
This shows my guts to u man, i don't have guts to argue like this, i don't wanna argue, i m chinking out,
How many times will u chicken out man?? :D:D Amusing!

gxsaurav said:
out, yeah....whats the point of arguing, will i or u become moderator of this forum if one wins over the other, or will we get Rs 10k as reward.
Bro, Why did u enter this debate then? To get urself another award for being the best joker,ignorance and absurdness radiator and look miserable and get embarrased??

Aww, I guess u'll only repeat again in ur next post too. Though u've said u've chickened out, but I believe ur frustration/ignorance will atleast rage u to make some personal comments on me and post absurdly again. I can only expect u to make absurd post like above where u r confessing about ur guts again INSTEAD OF TALKING RELEVANTLY AND REPLYING PROPERLY TO ME!

Root2

Right off the assembly line
I find linux more stable than windows.. but most users think dat linux is not user friendly ..

What u all have to say abt dat??

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
gxsaurav said:
Works everywhere, any hardware
Correction. Only on x86 processors and I am not so sure, but CE runs on ARM. That's about it.
gxsaurav said:
Installs everywhere, on any X86/PPC system
Well lot more than that. Just look at porting section of gentoo linux *forums.gentoo.org/index.php?c=12&sid=c44f306f277226ae9bb1d0442256ed12. There are more platforms than these.
gxsaurav said:
Lack of features in the bundled application & still the other companies get blamed for it, for not going open source, oh comon, u said u are a coder & programmer, well, can u give your own thinking & invented source code for free without some money. How will u feel when u charge for your own application, make it open source, & see someone else copying it & selling for more money with a few cosmetic change, saying it's his
No one says it has got to be free. But, mostly people give it out free more as a trend then a rule. And there are many, that give out software for free but earn well on support. I disagree with those in Open Source arena who say that all software has got to be free of cost, even if the person is RMS himself.
Software are far behind in functionality, IM clients don't support features like voice chat & webcam
gxsaurav said:
Media players do not come with a codec, cos it's not open source, well, isn't FFDshow or the core of FFDshow an open source project? Why can't they bundle it

Cos they get sued. They cannot have those proprietory codecs installed out of the box. lame is also open source but still Red Hat got into trouble bundling it because Fraunhofer Institute started suing them for it. It isn't only windows that has to face unnecessary law suites.

G

gxsaurav

mehul, u r the only user in this forum whose comments regarding linux are worth reading, atleast u don't act fanboyish unlike....what do i say

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
gxsaurav said:
mehul, u r the only user in this forum whose comments regarding linux are worth reading, atleast u don't act fanboyish unlike....what do i say

G

gxsaurav

he does not lust for Arguement, when i give a point he politely replies to it, unlike meditator, who lusts for arguement with no valid point.

Go back 4 pages, read what i already wrote there, give the user interface desigining job of linux to designers, insted of coders, & Linux can very well change

meditator, & others never replied to my point of why do i have to put commands everytime in linux for installing anything. Why m i given source code insted of some package to install gwget, why can't i simply double click on a package to install that application, insted of which i have to write commands in the terminal, this is user interface, where other operating systems such as Windows & Mac rox

mehulved

@gx you can install rpm's and deb's,now, by just double clicking. But, not many people mention that, cos most users are used to old ways of installing, including me. And I am fond of it. Yeah, cos it feels more geeky.
BTW, gary is asking you to support the reason why hard disk life isn't affected by formatting many times.

G

gxsaurav

Mehul, i don't know how u do it, but when i double clicked on a deb file for gwget, it gave me an option to "Open with...." now what m i supposed to open it with, where is this double clicking thing u are talking about.

Other was a tar.gz file, which had the source code, i m a user no a programer, can i simply have installation in a method something like Mac or Windows

By the way, gwget was not found when I searched in synaptic, so the easiest way to install applications it was not usefull enough

about the harddisk formatting, well, it's just a myth, i have formatted hard disks of many people many time, but nothing happened

mediator

Technomancer
root2 said:
I find linux more stable than windows.. but most users think dat linux is not user friendly ..

What u all have to say abt dat??
If ur asking, then frankly speaking pick up any modern day Linux distro and tell for urself! I find linux much more easier than windows today! HONEST!
And if ur telling, then what can i say, read the whole thread again from the very start!

gxsaurav said:
he does not lust for Arguement, when i give a point he politely replies to it, unlike meditator, who lusts for arguement with no valid point.
Awww, @gxsaurav back again! See ur a perfect liar! First u say ur chickening out and then come again. Can't understand ur mentality man!
Neways back to topic! I told u to quote/reply me to prove if I'm not giving out valid statements!

In page 2,3,4 of this thread, u ain't given a single proper reply to me.

If u read the whole thread, from the start I've been replying properly to everyone. 2-3 times u chickened out and came back, how come will u know what has happened? You make excuse u dont like to read long posts. Then I guess this is the right time to shed ur misery and start reading from the start, instead of repeating again n again!

gxsaurav said:
Go back 4 pages, read what i already wrote there, give the user interface desigining job of linux to designers, insted of coders, & Linux can very well change
Go 4 pages back and look properly with eyes wide open, I already replied to every possible single line of urs!

gxsaurav said:
meditator, & others never replied to my point of why do i have to put commands everytime in linux for installing anything. Why m i given source code insted of some package to install gwget, why can't i simply double click on a package to install that application, insted of which i have to write commands in the terminal, this is user interface, where other operating systems such as Windows & Mac rox
mediator said:
Who told u mp3's dont play outta box?? In some free distros they do and in some dont. And in propreitary ones satisfaction is guaranteed! About the linux firewall I guess its ur fanboyism again, thats preventing u from seeing the light! I too have windows buddy and I know what I'm talkin about! Neways a single command is much better than several clicks to see a log file in windows! Besides, I told u Linux has GUI too, so u can see the firewall log just like windows too via several clicks!
REmembered this?? Post #66. Dude debate isn't meant to reply to only one person. I'm addressing every windows supporter who has misconceptions about linux!

Neways a single line is bugging u i see. So @gxsaurav Who says installation in linux needs commandline in today's time?? All can be done from GUI. And yes u can simply double click on a package to install that application. TAke a look urself. Neways I find installing from commandline much simpler and easier than using GUI. Its much faster and much simpler.

Now what will u say -> "Whoops sorry, I didnt know that" ??

See mahn, after the 1st page of this thread, u've not replied to meh properly. U have given all sorts of statements -> absurd statements,ignorant statements,personal remarks,chickening out statements etc, I mean every possible thing instead of replying to valid points!

If ur new to Linux and learning it, then please say so! I'll switch from mah debate mode to helping mode! But u dont have to fight for something u dont know about. Dont get frustrated bro. I told before too, that I use windows too. I told already its better than linux ONLY in gaming area. IF ur proven wrong again n again, then u dont have to make personal remarks. Just say I'm a noob! Why r u making absurd statements that linux is not user friendly, is only for geeks, hasn't got much functionality, lacks hardware support etc! Even in windows the drivers dont come bundled with installation. U have to install em separately! Don't u? The sound driver,graphics etc! But in linux all possible drivers come bundled with distro. U can install from net too if ur not satisfied. Whats wrong?? ATleast its better than taking out separate cd's for each driver, put em one by one and then install them. I already told that sometimes even the drivers in the cd r inappropriate and u get correct functionality after updating ur drivers!

gxsaurav said:
Mehul, i don't know how u do it, but when i double clicked on a deb file for gwget, it gave me an option to "Open with...." now what m i supposed to open it with, where is this double clicking thing u are talking about.
See this is ur problem! If u need help then OPEN SOURCE section awaits u. Why r u mistaking it with Linux error or flaw? And then ur fighting ignorantly/absurdly on it too! Tell me, does ever a person complaints how bad windows or linux is, when he first starts his computing from windows or linux?? How can he complaint and debate on it when he knows nothing about windows or linux or whateva he started with??

gxsaurav said:
Other was a tar.gz file, which had the source code, i m a user no a programer, can i simply have installation in a method something like Mac or Windows
Thats a big problem with migrating windows users! See bro, let linux be linux and windows be windows or else what difference will remain?? Installing tar files is geeky, but if u dont wanna associate the term geek with u, then u have deb,rpm files!

gxsaurav said:
By the way, gwget was not found when I searched in synaptic, so the easiest way to install applications it was not usefull enough
I guess ur using ubuntu or some other debain distro! Can't say much on this. BUt if u wanna get help on fedora, then I'll be pleased!

gxsaurav said:
about the harddisk formatting, well, it's just a myth, i have formatted hard disks of many people many time, but nothing happened
Yea thats a myth!

Most of these posts I just made have been posted by me earlier too! If u wanna fight properly then please do reply to me properly. But it seems I can't ask much from u, coz ur a noob! So I urge u to quit this debate and forgod's sake stop fighting on something in which ur a noob. PLease change to open source section right away.
Neways I already told 5-6 times that I'm no Linux fanboy. I have windows too. I'm not making neone switch to windows or linux. But according to the title of this thread, I'm only comparing windows and Linux!

Last edited:

mehulved

gxsaurav said:
It's called gdebi. gwget is there in synaptic but it's under some other name, sorry can't remember it right now.

gxsaurav said:
That is why deb's and rpm's exist. Yeah installing them without net access is a bit of a difficult thing as of now, but there is work going on to simplify it. But, you can't change the whole process inside out for such a small thing, when it's the same process which has brought linux to that status it is today. It will just take away freedom from the authors from open source applications. It will be difficult to explain the whole thing to someone who isn't so familiar with how open source model works. Also, I should not speak too much on this topic since I don't contribute to writing any code for OSS, there are better qualified people for that here. So, I am not going into details of it.
Well it isn't that difficult to install from source. Just right click and extract the files from the archive. Then you just need to follow the README file. I don't think it's difficult at all even for a newbie.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Hello everyone,
Have you seen something like this in windows...
Just check it out...
*klik.atekon.de/
Hope this help Linux newbies...
Waiting for replies...

Subrata Bera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom