The Windows 8 Thread

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks mate but I don't like keeping two OS.
If there's any hardcore gamer here I would really love to know it. Is Win 8.1 Pro as good as Win 7 for gaming or not? I mean any compatibility issues, or anything else....?
No compatibility issues or anything with Windows 8. It is fine for gaming.

But I'm sticking with Windows 7 only as I find Windows 8 irritating.

tkin

Back to school!!
Hey guys, just a question, how much do I need to pay for a Barebones Windows 8 x64 license? Minimum price, even a license key will do, I'll get the iso off torrents, and is it worth upgrading from win 7?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
~5.3k for a non-pro SL(single language) system builder edition but in my opinion it is not worth it unless you specifically prefer win 8 metro interface.functionality wise there is no significant improvement unless you consider a 10-20 sec decrease in boot time or 4-5% lower cpu/ram usage as significant improvement.

~5.3k for a non-pro SL(single language) system builder edition but in my opinion it is not worth it unless you specifically prefer win 8 metro interface.functionality wise there is no significant improvement unless you consider a 10-20 sec decrease in boot time or 4-5% lower cpu/ram usage as significant improvement.

One of the biggest improvement I've seen with Windows 8 is very low battery consumption and low heating in laptops (observed this with multiple laptops after upgrading to Windows 8). Also, the overall experience is much faster in Windows 8/8.1 than in Windows 7. Additionally, almost all problems; like driver issues and BSODs; have been fixed.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
windows 8.1 created some issues for me especially with the installation of office 2013 and nero. But still i am on windows 8.1 :p

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
you dont know how much sh it i have to face everyday due to win 8.1 at work
no its not fast its the same speed
thank goodness my ultrabook is still at win8

windows 8.1 created some issues for me especially with the installation of office 2013 and nero. But still i am on windows 8.1 :p

These type of comments holds me back to update to 8.1 :p

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys, just a question, how much do I need to pay for a Barebones Windows 8 x64 license? Minimum price, even a license key will do, I'll get the iso off torrents, and is it worth upgrading from win 7?

You missed the golden chance..!! :p I got it for 2k, when MS was offering the price at the beginning of the release.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^that's what i meant.if you can get win 8 license for ~2k(might still be possible using dreamspark) then get it but if it is costing 5.3k & win 7 is running fine for you with no issues(laptops running xp too lasted for years & win 7 is certainly better than xp) then there is no pressing need to spend this much on win 8.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
From when did 7 was known for BSODs ? Driver support is bound to increase by every OS iteration, if it doesn't, it'd be considered as a fail. Win 8 is a bit faster, nothing else. Can't say about battery improvements.

I believe he was referring to the BSODs that plagued early W8. I remember them all too well.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Guys from where can I buy Win 8.1 Pro for cheap? I am pretty bored with pirated versions.
Also what's the difference between VL and Pro versions of Win 8.1? The one I am using is some Pro VL but it says Win 8.1 Pro under device manager!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
VL stands for Volume Licensing which generally indicates a single key can be used to install and activate windows on multiple devices.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
pirated win 8/8.1 versions typically use VL activation as unlike win 7 there is no slic activation crack possible for win 8.there is no way to get win 8/8.1 pro cheap except maybe through dreamspark.btw a typical home user doesn't need win8pro as win 8 is sufficient.

Gollum

Collector
So I used kms today and it helped me activate a test win8.1 machine just fine and I was able to run updates and download apps from store and so on.
right now I'm running this as a test VM. tomorrow I will try it out on a few test notebooks at office

gameranand

Living to Play
So I used kms today and it helped me activate a test win8.1 machine just fine and I was able to run updates and download apps from store and so on.
right now I'm running this as a test VM. tomorrow I will try it out on a few test notebooks at office

KMS ?? As in the the activator from TPB ?? :p

icebags

Technomancer
thinking of formatting and os reload.

currently i have windows 8, and it seems totally stable. so, do i download 8.1 this time, or continue with 8? anything to gain/loose if i get 8.1 ?

Top Bottom