The Windows 8 Thread

amjath

Human Spambot
thinking of formatting and os reload.

currently i have windows 8, and it seems totally stable. so, do i download 8.1 this time, or continue with 8? anything to gain/loose if i get 8.1 ?

Boot to desktop, start button are day to day changes made. Other small fixes. If u want to get 8.1 iso working with windows 8, u can go few pages back or check for tutorial.
Link for iso
Trick to get windows 8.1 iso: Download the Windows 8.1 ISO using a Windows 8 key and some simple trickery

Here is a list of changes for you
Windows 8.1 update is over just now.
I had no reinstalling of driver issue, everything went smooth.
My impressions so far:
*Windows 8 3/4 to 1/4 split screen changed to equal half is great.
*When 2 apps running in split screen, when u call 3rd app it comes to the center and when u mouseover the third app tilting animation is cool
*Start button
*Boot to desktop. In windows 8 when u close apps it open start , In 8.1 goes to desktop when you close apps which is good but annoys sometimes
*Big change is Windows Store It is really really cool, Also they are way faster.
*When u drag app from one place to another, the slow scroll animation is good
*In Start menu, there is a handy button at left bottom to open all apps
*Charms bar is not center alignment. Not look good
*New background to start [one background has robot animates] and even desktop background can be set now, would appreciate user preferred background
*New apps Food & drink and Health & Fitness
*New apps from store which is installed had to manually Pin to Start
*In My computer, devices and drives are clubbed together [Out of the box]
*Change PC Settings makeover
*Mail app changed
*Bing app removed instead Bing Smart search is introduced

more changes
kioskmode
working folders-like google drive
clicking any folder or file in exolorer brings a tick mark next to it
my comouter replaced by this pc
more backgroubd colors
vpn mode
easy recovery from pc settings mode
very nice calculator-check the data converter
scanner app
modern app based ie-looks like the androud browser now
mail app romoved
improved boot time
button for all apps in start screen
default load to desktop can be removed in gpo and property page
easy way to arrange the all app page

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft Said To Be Considering A Free Version Of Windows 8.1 | TechCrunch

andy_65_in

Padawan
i have developed some issues with my win 8 laptop-one day when i opened the destop i was surprised to see a smaller size of all icons eg the window explorer,the chrome icon etc.so i increased the size by personalize mode but even then they look funny.what should be my resolution setting is 1366x768 and i am working on medium size of items and title baris 12 BOLD.how should i correct it

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
i have developed some issues with my win 8 laptop-one day when i opened the destop i was surprised to see a smaller size of all icons eg the window explorer,the chrome icon etc.so i increased the size by personalize mode but even then they look funny.what should be my resolution setting is 1366x768 and i am working on medium size of items and title baris 12 BOLD.how should i correct it

can you post a screenshot?

sksundram

In the zone
@andy try this : click on an empty desktop. hold "ctrl" key and rotate the mouse wheel to increase/decrease the size of the icons. hope it helps.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Screenshot (18).jpg

This is the Screenshot of My Laptop's Recent BSODs. It says DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I dont get it. It shows a system file as causing error. Can anyone help ?

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Desktop or laptop? On my laptop, the texts are coming as blurry. I googled it, and found that many are facing this problem, and it is a fault in Windows 8 font rendering API. Some are able to fix it by some tweak, but they are not 100% working. Can you post SS of desktop/metro UI/IE?

amjath

Human Spambot
Desktop or laptop? On my laptop, the texts are coming as blurry. I googled it, and found that many are facing this problem, and it is a fault in Windows 8 font rendering API. Some are able to fix it by some tweak, but they are not 100% working. Can you post SS of desktop/metro UI/IE?

Desktop!
*i.imgur.com/6baprSV.png
*i.imgur.com/SJx4LgH.png

Same issue not fixed with Wndows8.1???

Last edited:

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
post the minidump file.

I'm Sorry I am unable to upload the minidump files.:-? It says I dont have permission to read. :oops: Can u tell how to attach that file.

PS: And there is no option to upload files other than video and image.??:?::?:

amjath

Human Spambot
I'm Sorry I am unable to upload the minidump files.:-? It says I dont have permission to read. :oops: Can u tell how to attach that file.

PS: And there is no option to upload files other than video and image.??:?::?:

upload it to Google drive or dropbox and share the link
Edit: Is ur drivers up to date, try updating ur network driver[read somewhere]

Last edited: