The Windows 8 Thread

Vignesh B

Youngling
Microsoft doesn't provide windows 8.1 iso of oem version. The link given above for downloading the iso is for retail version. It won't even accept the key would and give an error.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Actually i don't have a key, the one that came with my lappy was already activated, there was nothing for me to do

Use Advanced token manager to backup your activation status, install the 8.1 for the same version of Windows as your laptop came with. Re-activate using the same software. 100% legal AFAIK.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Guys i have a difficult situation, having a very slow and unstable internet connection , I cannot upgrade my windows 8 to 8.1 (genuine! came with my lappy) I've tried a few times, spent hours on it but somehow it just restarts when the progress bar reaches 40-45 percent. Is there any other possible way to upgrade? Am thinking of downloading iso from some other source but will i be able to upgrade if I have a 8.1 iso? Please enlighten me with any possible solutions

Thanks in advance

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/157778-windows-8-thread-39.html#post2061418

amtshp

Broken In
hey guys need an urgent help..my lappy came up with pre installed oem version ..... so there would be no expiry of windows 8 obviously ...but I didn't knew about this Microsoft toolkit software... so I by mistakenly did smthing wrong with it .which has caused my os to have an expiry date that too of 21 feb 2014 ...... plzz help ..wat shud I do???? I refreshed my lappy ...but its still the same... I am getting worried..

amtshp

Broken In
hey guys its really urgent please help... my lappy came up with windows 8 single language oem version.... ..so it didn't sow any expiry date after activation...but wen I used the Microsoft toolkit 2.43 for office..i did something wrong maybe ...which deactivated my windows...then I again entered the key but its showing that os will expire on fe21 2014..... I donno wat to do ....I refreshed my os but it didn't work... I want to activate it ,...as it was given before using that toolkit... god I donno ...... plz help ...

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
Windows 8.1 RTM and Final Version and OEM

Is there any difference between these Windows 8.1 RTM and Final Version and OEM ???. what should any one can buy ??? need suggestions ???

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually they are all different types of licensing terms :D

OEM is for hardware patterns like Dell, Hp etc. Usually comes pre installed with pc and attached to MB/CPU. So it offers very limited number of reinstall / hardware changes. Also it needs to be purchased in large volumes from MS. You may see OEM copies are selling at a lower price but it's just that someone bought these in bulk from MS. Then instead of installing these copies on thousands of laptops or pcs they are selling the license key and the disc instead with a nice profit margin. But for versions like these you can ask for support from MS AFAIK,

RTM sands for = Release to Manufacturing which indicates a stable version of windows is ready for mass distribution to the hardware partners. This version comes before the final / retail version.

Final / Retail box packed version = This is the version which you should get to get the best windows experience and hassle free support.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Can anyone please confirm whether locking your PC (Win + L) makes it to go to deep sleep or something?

I have already set "Never" to Sleep in Power Options. Actually one night I locked my PC and on morning I saw that PC is running but lights of Keyboard + Mouse were not glowing, even I couldn't wake up my PC. I needed to restart.

But before that, when I didn't lock my PC it was working fine. I just locked it so that accidental use of mouse / keyboard doesn't affect anything. So hope you understand my query. AFAIK locking PC has nothing to do with Sleep if settings are fine (which is done already).

I thought may be it hanged or something. Can anyone please confirm this?

amjath

Human Spambot
Can anyone please confirm whether locking your PC (Win + L) makes it to go to deep sleep or something?

I have already set "Never" to Sleep in Power Options. Actually one night I locked my PC and on morning I saw that PC is running but lights of Keyboard + Mouse were not glowing, even I couldn't wake up my PC. I needed to restart.

But before that, when I didn't lock my PC it was working fine. I just locked it so that accidental use of mouse / keyboard doesn't affect anything. So hope you understand my query. AFAIK locking PC has nothing to do with Sleep if settings are fine (which is done already).

I thought may be it hanged or something. Can anyone please confirm this?

u r right. Win+L or auto locking doesn't make them go to sleep.

amjath

Human Spambot
How to change the network mode to private if connecting in LAN?
Go to Network and sharing center
on the left click change advance sharing settings
On private expand and Turn on network discovery and file sharing
On public network expand and turn off ntwork discovery and file sharing
When saving it ll ask to log out. logout and log in.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
win 8 seems to have many issues with ad hoc networks.. not being able to see them!
btw, why did msoft remove creation of ad hoc networks!

Top Bottom