The Windows 8 Thread

Gollum

Collector
Can anyone please confirm whether locking your PC (Win + L) makes it to go to deep sleep or something?

I have already set "Never" to Sleep in Power Options. Actually one night I locked my PC and on morning I saw that PC is running but lights of Keyboard + Mouse were not glowing, even I couldn't wake up my PC. I needed to restart.

But before that, when I didn't lock my PC it was working fine. I just locked it so that accidental use of mouse / keyboard doesn't affect anything. So hope you understand my query. AFAIK locking PC has nothing to do with Sleep if settings are fine (which is done already).

I thought may be it hanged or something. Can anyone please confirm this?
wild guess>>>>USB selected suspend. its in power options

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you only need to share net connection of your pc / laptop then try using Virtual Router Plus | Virtual Router Plus Official Project Site

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
My uncle bought a new laptop with Windows 8, and he doesn't like it. been using Win XP for all these years.

Anyway to make Win 8 UI look like Win 7 or Xp. i heard that you can install third party software like "classic shell", and change the theme back to 7, Xp or Classic.

Any other way without installing 3rd party software.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Don't know about Classic Shell, but I just needed the Start menu back and tiles disabled, and StartIsBack (StartIsBack - real start menu for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1) did a great job.

Btw, guys if I install Windows 8.1 x64, will there be any problems with running games? I mean any problem, however minimal that is. Or should I keep using W7?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ There's no OS issue you can't overcome but for safety better keep both win 7 and win 8.1 installed. Once you feel like one of these is not needed just remove it.

@true_lies - try this link :
How to Make Windows 8 or 8.1 Look and Feel Like Windows 7

ithehappy

Human Spambot
^^ There's no OS issue you can't overcome but for safety better keep both win 7 and win 8.1 installed. Once you feel like one of these is not needed just remove it.
Thanks mate but I don't like keeping two OS.
If there's any hardcore gamer here I would really love to know it. Is Win 8.1 Pro as good as Win 7 for gaming or not? I mean any compatibility issues, or anything else....?

gameranand

Living to Play
My uncle bought a new laptop with Windows 8, and he doesn't like it. been using Win XP for all these years.

Anyway to make Win 8 UI look like Win 7 or Xp. i heard that you can install third party software like "classic shell", and change the theme back to 7, Xp or Classic.

Any other way without installing 3rd party software.

Ask him to use Win 8 for a month and he'll get used to it. Its the smartest and simplest thing to do. Win 8 interface get some used to but when you do, you won't like to go back to anything.

Top Bottom