*** Science Or God? ***

Science or God?

• Total voters

rishitells

Always in Dreams...
Turkey as it stands. Socially and culturally superior to India in every way possible.

Thanks. But I basically wanted to pinpoint Islamic countries where you can live, of course, but you 'cannot' preach your religion (though no need of it).

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol @ 'Victory of Hindus' *twitter.com/Hindujagrutiorg/status/233641143781437440

Victory of Hindus: Visit of 'Sunny Leone' as Guest to Dahi-Handi programs cancelled due to protest by Hindus. Read on @ *www.hindujagruti.org/news/14722.html

Honestly, I don't link any of the following with any text or anything. Be only concerned with actions. Yindoos aren't any better.

[youtube]TObngkm4sIk[/youtube]

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you think it is flawed, then I request you the same to find me alternate translations for it which do not talk of killing jews, christians and infidels.

The fundamental principal of Islam is 'intolerance' towards Non-Believers, or Atheists (Kaafir). They want to covert me into their belief, and that's where I have a problem, and always will be.

Koran a Book of Peace, Not War, Scholars Say
But the Koran also states in Chapter 2, Verse 190: "Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors."
The essence of the verse, Nyang says, is to fight back "if you are attacked by your persecutors, but don't fight back indiscriminately. Follow the rules of engagement." According to mainstream Muslim clerics, those "rules of engagement"' are explicit: women, children, and innocent civilians are off limits.

do you know what is common between you two & millions of muslims & other people around the world?you all seems to believe in wahabi brand of islam instead of the original one.this is a problem not just with islam but all religions.religious texts just like everything else created by humans/mortals can be corrupted & in fact it will be.also with no offence to anyone majority of the humans born do not possess the intellectual/spiritual caliber to resist such corruption & which is why it is always some extraordinary individuals on whose shoulders lies the responsibility & their actions determine the course of history.it is just that islam is still waiting for such individuals for last few hundred years unlike other religions & that is why it seems the most extremist as of now.

mediator

Technomancer
I don't know how old you are or if it is you couldn't read my post properly even after quoting me, but I asked for alternate translations for verse 5.51, 5.33, 9.29 of Quran and not 2.190. You'll get tired if I post all the verses I know from muslim.org. But then, just to justify your end, you will start using the translations by Griffith, Bloomsfield, Max muller to show that killing has been done by Indra also and that "Yindoos", like one our admins happily pronounces, worshipped Cows, Horses etc, and embarrass the soul of Vedic seers like Aurobindo even further :(

Remember, the fight starts the moment you cannot accommodate other's point of view and "force your own opinion on others". So don't rush in just because your swabhava triggered some reactions. Read my post, slowly and carefully. It is the whole point of "La ilaha Il Alaha, mohammad ur rasool allah" that the "believers" want to impose the word Allah on every one's throat.

If the "believers say, that "Allah is the eaten, the eater and the process of eating and the output of that eating" then it would make sense as every thing in this universe is matter and energy as per modern science and even matter is energy (Refer Quantum Theory). A person (made up of matter and energy), is born from matter and energy, uses matter and energy as food and becomes matter and energy after his death.

When one puts consciousness into the picture of this dance of matter and energy, it becomes a higher concept which is pronounced as brahman as per the Indian science.

More for you, Chapter 5 for the appetizers ---

Quran_chaper_5 said:
ch5, v41
O Messenger, let not those
grieve thee who hasten to disbelief,
from among those who say with their
mouths, We believe, and their hearts
believe not, and from among those
who are Jews — they are listeners for
the sake of a lie, listeners for another
people who have not come to thee.a
They alter the words after they are
put in their (proper) places, saying: If
you are given this, take it, and if you
are not given this, be cautious. And
he for whom Allåh intends temptation,
thou controllest naught for him
against Allåh. Those are they whose
hearts Allåh intends not to purify.
For them is disgrace in this world,
and for them a grievous chastisement
in the Hereafter.

ch5, v60
Say: Shall I inform you of those
worse than this in retribution from
Allåh? They are those whom Allåh has
cursed and upon whom He brought
His wrath and of whom He made apes
and swine, and who serve the devil.

ch5, v64

And the Jews say: The hand of Allåh is tied up. Their own hands are shackled and they are cursed for what they say. Nay, both His hands are spread out.a He disburses as He pleases. And that which has been revealed to thee from thy Lord will certainly make many of them increase in inordinacy and disbelief. And We have cast among them enmity and hatred till the day of Resurrection. Whenever they kindle a fire for war Allåh puts it out, and they strive to make mischief in the land.b And Allåh loves not the mischief-makers.

ch5, v73

Certainly they disbelieve who
say: Allåh, He is the Messiah, son of
Mary. And the Messiah said: O
Children of Israel, serve Allåh, my
Lord and your Lord.a Surely whoever
associates (others) with Allåh, Allåh
has forbidden to him the Garden and
his abode is the Fire. And for the
wrongdoers there will be no helpers.

First, you can see that Quran is full of contradictions as you made it easy for me. Bring me any version of Quran you like for discussion. Secondly, like I stated, Quran preaches attachment to a name and his prophet which further dictates you what to do and who your enemy is. It is not the demons like lust, greed,anger etc as a philosophical mind would understand but jews,christians and infidels. It further divides the society between regions like Israel etc. Thirdly, "my thought better than yours and if others don't obey it then fight them" (9.29) certianly is a breeding ground, a spark of the war no matter what. If others fight to protect themselves, then they will face even more terrible consequences (5.33).

And every body knows, those who leave Islam, are punishable by death e.g Salman Rushdie, Wafa Sultan, Ali Sina, Taslima Nasreen who have been issued fatwas and death sentences by muslim councils.

If it is a discussion between theist/Religion and atheists, then I'd be pro-atheists. If it is atheists and agnostics, then agnostics. But there is a world which lies beyond all these childish distinctions, where the asuras and devtas are the powers of the same infinite, which is indivisible but seems divided because of our conditioning, uncontrolled mind etc. It is this indivisible, infinite, all pervading ocean which the Indian thought advocates which teaches tolerance, where the same nameless ocean can be called be any name (ekam sat vipra bahuda vadanti), where friendship itself is divine and not weighed by childish taggings like "Jews, Christian and infidels". Even friendship with the members of your perceived enemy is divine e.g Ram and Vibhishan.

bhagvada-gita said:
Sages see with an equal eye the learned and cultured Brahmin, the cow, the elephant, the dog, the outcaste. (BG 5.18 ) (Refer to the story of SatyaKama Jabala and the king Bharat)

That which is in us is he and all that we experience outside ourselves is he. The inward and the outward, the far and the near, the moving and the unmoving, all this he is at once. He is the subtlety of the subtle which is beyond our knowledge. He is indivisible and the One, but seems to divide himself in forms and creatures and appears as all the separate existences. All things are eternally born from him, upborne in his eternity, taken eternally back into his oneness. (Chapter 13.16-17, BG)

The branches of that tree extending downward and upwards, with its sprouts symbolizing sense objects, develope due to the three modes of material nature; with roots spreading downwards also produces actions and reactions in the worlds of humans. Within this world the inverted form of this tree cannot be perceived, nor its beginning, nor its foundation; severing this strongly rooted in attachment banyan tree with the sharp weapon of detachment; thereafter go to the place where there is no return again by approaching the exclusive shelter, surrendering at the feet of the Supreme; verily to the original, Ultimate from whom the perpetual process emanates. ( BG : 15.2-4 )

Please read the bold part from my previous post. Yet it/he/she, i.e the infinite ocean, brahman, purusha, parameshvar etc whatever you'd like to call, is glorified in masculine form in some upanishads, neutar in other and feminine aspect in Devi Purana and as "I/Me" in Gita and Devi Purana as well. The same way can be seen for the hymns dedicated to Indra, Varuna, Vishnu etc in Vedas. There are some upanishads which are flexible in calling the infinite as "it" in some verses and "he" in other verses.

Not woman is He, nor man either, nor yet sexless; but whatsoever body He take, that confineth & preserveth Him. (Svetasvatara Upanishad, 5.10)

It means that the "ideal ocean" is infinite and generates waves like "man, woman, stone, eunuch etc" and hence when viewed from the highest truth it is neither man nor woman neither sexless as it consists of man, woman, eunuch, stone etc. Once you understand the metaphorical and riddle like nature of much of the shrutis, most of the understanding will come automatically to you.

Can Allah see with an equal eye, a believer (muslim), jews, christian, infidel and a goat (Refer Bakr-id)? But even if you disagree with any of the "Yindoo" texts, then you are free to do so as there is no attachment to the knowledge anyhow.

Ending conversation between Arjun and Krishna --
bhagvad-gita said:
Thus the most confidential wisdom of all that is confidential has been described by me to you; deliberating fully on this; accordingly act as you wish. (Bg 18.63)

About corruption in shruti texts, it can only be mistranslation and no corruption which has been discussed before. You'd have understood it better had you been a sanskrit literate and why it is being put in computers and why NASA is hiring sanskrit experts. This matter has been discussed before anyways yet this thread continues with the painful reincarnations of the same ignorance.

NASA on Sanskrit & Artificial Intelligence by Rick Briggs

No textual corruption in Vedas - Agniveer

In the Indian thought everyone is free to do as he likes unless it imposes opinions on others. It is the reason why different sages had different interpretations of the same truth like Kena, Katha etc, different scriptures like Vedas, Tantra etc which seem different from different angles, but lead to the same understanding of the truth.

whitestar said:
it is just that islam is still waiting for such individuals for last few hundred years unlike other religions & that is why it seems the most extremist as of now.
Perhaps, we should put Islam/Quran in a shelf and tell that to the muslims so that they shoud wait for another few hundred years so that extremism doesn't happen?

What is the "cause of Allah" which you quoted? Is it the judgment day when the muslims will be asked if they converted an infidel or is it the hatred for Jews, Christians and infidels? Is it the attachment to the name Allah, and making the non-believers and believers fear Allah? The rest of the questions fall under the purview of atheists like "Who is God", "Prove God exists" etc.

According to some, the older the text, the more outdated it is. The newer it is, the purer it is. Some theorise, newer the text the translations are even more authentic and now you come up with a different theory. Interesting! In that case, the readers of Vivek Anand, Aurobindo etc would be even more extremists than the Muslims, as you state, destroying mosques, killing muslims, destroying the muslim equaivalent of Amar Jyoti etc.

Anyways, "the rules of engagement" that you quoted i.e women, children, and innocent civilians are off limits is sadly debunked in Chapter 33 of Quran

Quran_chapter_33 said:
O Prophet, We have made lawful
to thee thy wivesa whom thou hast
given their dowries, and those whom
hy right hand possesses, out of those
whom Allåh has given thee as prison-
ers of war, and the daughters of thy
paternal uncle and the daughters of thy
paternal aunts, and the daughters of thy
maternal uncle and the daughters of thy
maternal aunts who fled with thee; and
a believing woman, if she gives herself
to the Prophet, if the Prophet desires to
marry her. (It is) especially for thee,
not for the believersb — We know
what We have ordained for them con-
cerning their wives and those whom
their right hands possess in order that
no blame may attach to thee. And
Allåh is ever Forgiving, Merciful. (33.50)

Thou mayest put off whom thou
pleasest of them, and take to thee
whom thou pleasest. And whom thou
desirest of those whom thou hadst
separated provisionally, no blame
attaches to thee. This is most proper
so that their eyes may be cool and
they may not grieve, and that they
should be pleased, all of them, with
what thou givest them.a And Allåh
knows what is in your hearts. And
Allåh is ever Knowing, Forbearing. (33.51)

I can keep posting endlessly. The question is can your really provide me an alternate translation of the same which deny the same? Like I said, "I asked for alternate translations for verse 5.51, 5.33, 9.29 of Quran and you gave 2.190". 2.190 from muslim.org pretty much say the same as you pointed out.

Please read any version of Quran completely and not out-of-context or random verses, or quote "scholars" to show "Islam is about peace". Scholars and authors also state that Mohammed was a schizophrenic (Just google for sources). Please read and show me which version or translation by any scholar of complete Quran speaks of

1) Detachment from name Allah and his prophet mohammed?
2) Does not mention hatred towards Jews, Christians and infidels?
3) Does not Propogate the "cause of Allah", taxation, judgement day?
4) Chopping of hands, limbs etc? Just a few questions!

-------------

@Rhitwick : Thank You :)

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@whitestar_999

You need to take into consideration that some of the earlier verses which were said during the nascent phase (Mecca) were abrogated later (Medina) in Quran. Figure it out why ?

Surah 2:106 says: “We do not abrogate a verse or let it be forgotten without bringing a better or similar one. Do you not know that Allah has power over all things?”

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
what we need to change is the things which people have mentioned in this thread - India Says It'll Will Be On Mars By 2013 - [H]ard|Forum (Completely fair comments by some deluded idiots. Nothing related to Mars.)

Arguing over what's written, what has been misinterpreted etc. won't change anything - the present.

As it stands, we are morally and culturally corrupt. If one chooses to live in history/past, then it's his wish. At least use it to progress in the present. There is no denying that we have regressed. Big time.

Unless the country progresses, no one will *understand* what India stands for and stood for.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^still comments in facepunch forum were better barring a few, considering the crowd there is much younger.

Looks like whole hardforum forum is filled with 12 year olds.

Arguing over what's written, what has been misinterpreted etc. won't change anything - the present.
Without questioning and rational debating things will remain in the backyard. Unless people change the books for better, they will still follow the teachings headlong without much thought, resulting into unwanted conflicts.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Without questioning and rational debating things will remain in the backyard. Unless people change the books for better, they will still follow the teachings headlong without much thought, resulting into unwanted conflicts.
Every human lives with some prejudice in his head. Questioning and rational debating won't change this.

*twitter.com/panditkmr/status/235752958862708736

In India, only nationalism can sort things out.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@Mediator, this is not right. We do not have an expert or any member of Muslim religion posting in this thread. It is only you who is posting all verses from Quran. Obviously you have a upper hand here as none directly related to Islam is posting here, but your logics are very much one sided. I would really love to hear someone posting some other translations of Quran. Its like you are running alone and claiming you are first.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mediator,i am a rational person & don't read religious texts so i guess i can not provide you alternate translations of quran.it is just my understanding that those who are not rational can be turned to extremism no matter what the religion.after all its not like no muslim drinks alcohol or indulge in other such activities prohibited by islam.
According to some, the older the text, the more outdated it is. The newer it is, the purer it is. Some theorise, newer the text the translations are even more authentic and now you come up with a different theory. Interesting! In that case, the readers of Vivek Anand, Aurobindo etc would be even more extremists than the Muslims, as you state, destroying mosques, killing muslims, destroying the muslim equaivalent of Amar Jyoti etc.
my statement was particularly about religious texts & if i am not mistaken Dayanand Saraswati gave his call to return to Vedas specifically to address the issue of religious/spiritual corruptness in hinduism over time.btw about vivek anand & aurbindo you just need the "right man" for the "right job".i am very certain that with right amount of information & resources(including knowledge of psychology)it is easy to distort any religious/non-rational/based on views text to convert certain persons to extremism.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Mediator, this is not right. We do not have an expert or any member of Muslim religion posting in this thread. It is only you who is posting all verses from Quran. Obviously you have a upper hand here as none directly related to Islam is posting here, but your logics are very much one sided. I would really love to hear someone posting some other translations of Quran. Its like you are running alone and claiming you are first.
Doesn't really matter now even if someone chooses to post a thousand times. May be it made sense for 600 AD because of hostility from the Jewish and Christian cult. Muhammad also went out to form a political entity rather than only a cult. And you need propaganda for this.

Tell me, how many Indians will trust a random and obscure group of Pakistanis? I'd tell you not to. Yeah, prejudice again.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@ico, its about perspective. How do I even know that the verses Mediator posted mean what its written, none tried to cross him, none enough knowledgeable here who can post something else. Thus I wanted to hear other opinions, and that only can some from who practices Islam on daily life. May be, may be he/she would be aware of a bigger picture where this fits.

Tell me, how many Indians will trust a random and obscure group of Pakistanis?
Just because majority decided something is wrong it can't be wrong. Even if the verses were correct or were relevant at 600AD, if Mediator's argument is based on 'em, the counter argument is also relevant. The context and reasons are relevant.

We do not hold the voice of whole India here so, lets not drag 'em here.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ico, its about perspective. How do I even know that the verses Mediator posted mean what its written, none tried to cross him, none enough knowledgeable here who can post something else. Thus I wanted to hear other opinions, and that only can some from who practices Islam on daily life. May be, may be he/she would be aware of a bigger picture where this fits.

Just because majority decided something is wrong it can't be wrong. Even if the verses were correct or were relevant at 600AD, if Mediator's argument is based on 'em, the counter argument is also relevant. The context and reasons are relevant.

We do not hold the voice of whole India here so, lets not drag 'em here.
My actual point is, all of this is irrelevant in the 21st century. I don't even care about whether this was relevant in 600 AD or not.

People arguing about hilarious texts are as foolish as people who take them seriously.

mediator

Technomancer
@Rhitwick : Everybody is free to agree or disagree with me. I understand your point, but I have debated this on hardcore muslim forums as well with the same result. The persians called the people of aryvarta as Hindus, i.e a name imposed by foreigners and then wiseguys are calling it "Yindoos" unable to discuss on the substance. Like I said, does it matter what you call an ocean?

IMO, the people who don't take the texts seriously are even bigger idiots. History is meant to be repeated if ignored. It is for this reason there was a stress on smritis as well i.e the texts which are to be remembered. Only if the people are educated about the texts of Satyakama Jabala, the Bharata, Mahabharat etc which provide an insight and wisdom as well and the essence of varna and compare it to the ideals of shrutis or an objective mind , there wouldn't be any division or discrimination in the society regarding OBC/SC/ST in the first place. The studies of texts in the west is called "comparative studies". It is from the studies of sanskrit literature that westerners have known the scientific and integral essence of sanskrit. It is from the studies of these shrutis which has actually influenced the world's most revolutionary scientists like Nikolas Tesla, Heisenberg etc.

Straight from the horses mouth : Eminent Supporters and Upholders of Hinduism

Had people foreigners behaved and concluded on sanskrit with the same attitude, then obviously it might have been similarly called the language of monkeys. Whatever one wants to call as hilarious is subjective to him. But unawareness about shrutis is certainly a pityful state of ignorance where the people impotent to discuss on the substance have shown that their intellect is limited to only namecalling and judging, like calling the texts as only "hilarious" or calling Hindus as "Yindoos". The role of admins I guess has evolved in the past 5 years from ethically and objectively adminstering to namecalling, asssuming and judging subjectively. These people don't even understand what they are missing on and like many other people are lazy enough to read and quick enough to judge a book by its cover or by the acts of human beings in society as we discussed previously.

Anyways, I have read the Quran and many of the Upanishads, Secret of Vedas and thats why I'm discussing on it and I'm not quoting Quran from any critic site either, but straight from muslim.org which you can verify anytime. If any other person wants to discuss the same, he/she is free to put forward any version of Quran in front. But obviously, I request him/her to read the Gita, Upanishads and Vedas by Aurobindo.

I guess I'm not asking for too much and I haven't surveyed this forum as to who has the upper hand. If anyone has better knowledge, then it is much better or advantageous for me. But reading a text before commenting on it comes under the basic ethics of a discussion which is lacking in most of the people busy commenting.

Imagine lawyers arguing without understanding the law and other fence-sitters commenting on the constitutional knowledge and the situation in the court of law as "People arguing about hilarious texts are as foolish as people who take them seriously". :D

This is the situation in this forum. People haven't read either the Quran or any of the shrutis, but are still busy commenting and opining and some others mocking the basics of intelligence and ethics.

@Whitestar : I understand and I appreciate your honest statement : "& don't read religious texts so i guess i can not provide you alternate translations of quran". Your thoughts are noble as well. But still I'd request you to read the shrutis, if you are an Indian or want an understanding of the Indian science and if possible any version of Quran you might find authentic or original, if you want to discuss on Quran/Islam.

The Secret of Vedas : *www.sriaurobindoashram.org/ashram/sriauro/downloadpdf.php?id=30

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hmm no need to quote religious texts, there's been enough interpretation of them - go read em! sure you can find some things to take away. Have read these texts, and other versions too. Liked Ar-Rehman and Al-Jinn. No matter what the Quran says, most people have a code of conduct that they live their daily lives by. In the most war torn extremist taliban operated area of Afghanistan, a group of Pushtun Villagers still found it fit to help one American Soldier to safety (while shielding him from the Taliban, putting their own lives in danger)

Marcus Luttrell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He would soon regain consciousness and evade the pursuing enemy, with the help of local Pashtun villagers, who would eventually send an emissary to the nearest U.S. base to secure his safe release, and ultimately save his life.

think about how everyone would behave if there were cctv cameras everywhere in the world recording everything. at any time, anyone can go back and check who did what. God fearing people live in this world where our actions have permanent and eternal consequences as against being lost in the void.

Also, please avoid Prabhupada version of the Bhagavat Gita, if any of you do get interested in reading those texts. You will see Hare Krishnas selling these in public places.

mediator

Technomancer
Anorion said:
Also, please avoid Prabhupada version of the Bhagavat Gita, if any of you do get interested in reading those texts. You will see Hare Krishnas selling these in public places.

Kudos to that!! Prabhupada actually makes Krishna look like some abrahamic male chauvinist. I read the Sanskrit verses and his translations and I was shocked! Well Said. :)

Anorion said:
No matter what the Quran says, most people have a code of conduct that they live their daily lives by. In the most war torn extremist taliban operated area of Afghanistan, a group of Pushtun Villagers still found it fit to help one American Soldier to safety (while shielding him from the Taliban, putting their own lives in danger)

I agree! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom