*** Science Or God? ***

Science or God?

• Total voters

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
@eggman : I would be glad if you can give me some explanations to these 2.

1.Every event(except one) occurring in the universe has a cause.
Suppose an event A was caused by an event B and B by C and C by D and so on.BUT,this chain cannot be infinitely long.If it is then there is no first event since every event X_n has a parent event(or cause) X_n-1.So there must be a first event which occurred without any cause.Thus one of the basic principles of science has already been violated.There is no way on earth science is going to successfully explain why/how this occurred.

True. I agree that every event has to have a parent event which happened some time before the current event. And it seems obvious , because we experience time as a continuous event that seems to have no start or end.
You're assuming that the initial event (root of all events, maybe big bang) happened at a moment when time existed before that moment.
But what science tells you (although with not 100% confidence) is that TIME itself did not exist before that event. There was nothing but singularity before that. There was no TIME before that moment. i.e. if you have a time machine and keep moving the dial backwards and backwards , the dial would get stuck at that moment. Since there is no TIME before that , it can not go further in reverse.
I know, it still doesn't answer your question, that what was the trigger of that event. Why did it happen? What was it's reason and what was it's purpose (if it really had one).
Unfortunately , at this moment science can't tell you with certainty. Yes, it has theories and speculations but nothing is 100% sure.
But, it doesn't mean that we will never be able to find out. Every day science is getting closer to it and (my expectations from it's track record) is that one day it will find out the reason. It might happen, that it may raise 5 more questions while answering that .
I would recommend you to watch an excellent lecture :
YouTube - ‪'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss, AAI 2009‬‏ .

The sad fact is , we don't know everything at this moment and ofcourse it'll be great if we had the answers to everything. But for the unanswered questions , if you say "God did it" , it's not right , although it will quench your thirst . The reason is:
1)There is no way to test it . And there will never be. The thought is comforting , but it is not the truth.
2) If you assume God did it, then you will never have the desire to find out more and thus blocking your means to look for answers.

2.We live in the present.ie, the present time,not past neither future.But,think how long is the present time?
Surely less than one second and also less than one nano second or even less than (1/10000000) of a nano second.ie,the length of 'present' should be so small such that it cannot be any further small.And there is only one number that satisfy this and its zero(0).Take any other number,a smaller value can be found by adding a 0 after the decimal point.Like(0.001>0.000001>0.0000000001>........>0) .There you go.We live in 'present' of length zero and yet we live or do we?.
Sorry but wrong. Absolutely wrong. It tends to zero, but is not zero.
Consider a line . It is obvious that it exists. But it made up of smaller particles.
On a computer screen it might have been made of 10 pixels. But of course the pixel can be divided further and further and further. But do you say that at the end of it , that line is made of some basic atom unit , which is of length 0? Obviously it can't be true , because if you put any number of that unit (of length 0) that answer would still be zero , since anything x 0 = 0 (except infinity ) . The truth is you can never reach one basic atom unit. It might suck , because you would want to get to it. But you can't . However you can operate mathematically on those unit , using calculus ( concept of Delta). But unfortunately, you can't isolate it .
Time , the 4th dimension , is just like that linear line except that we can't control our movement in that dimension like the other 3.
The Delta(time) , the smallest change of time , will always have a value but can't be realized as a measurable unit.

Hope it helps. The basic questions of life are the most mind boggling. :) But saying "God did it or made it this way " just gives you a reason to give up your responsibility to find out more . :)

Neuron

Electronic.
Sorry but wrong. Absolutely wrong. It tends to zero, but is not zero.

Yep.This might be the truth.But still confusing.

Hope it helps. The basic questions of life are the most mind boggling. :) But saying "God did it or made it this way " just gives you a reason to give up your responsibility to find out more . :)

I'm not really that kind of a theist.I don't totally believe in a GOD however i do believe in the high probability for the existence of one.With such amount of confusing and crazy facts and phenomenon going on out here why is it so improbable to find a supernatural being?

Anyway thank you for trying to clear my doubts ,unlike some doomgivers out there :smile:

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
Yep.This might be the truth.But still confusing.

I'm not really that kind of a theist.I don't totally believe in a GOD however i do believe in the high probability for the existence of one.With such amount of confusing and crazy facts and phenomenon going on out here why is it so improbable to find a supernatural being?

Anyway thank you for trying to clear my doubts ,unlike some doomgivers out there :smile:
Glad to help :)
It's not improbable, but there is not one evidence, except our blind faith (and personal experiences, which can be easily misinterpreted by the person) to believe its' existence.
Moreover, it defies any logic. (Now don't say GOD doesn't have a logic, or it has it's own set of logic blah blah..:-D...it is again you assumption ) . :)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
If god existed, why do we have multiple religions, that too fighting and defying each other?

Why the hell doesnt God come and say what is right/wrong?.

doomgiver

Warframe
haha, they will say that their god is different, so why should we listen to other's gods?

there is no evidence that something like a god exists, so why bother debating?

lugia

Right off the assembly line
Just because so many people believe in god doesn't mean it is true.Till the fifteenth century earth was considered to be flat in Europe(another myth spread by religion) and it took Christopher Columbus to go around the world to finally prove them wrong.
Its true we don't know about everything but its better to say i don't know rather than saying god did it.

doomgiver

Warframe
I read an article which proves google is god lol.
that is one worthy god, as long it doesnt leak personal info :)

Just because so many people believe in god doesn't mean it is true.Till the fifteenth century earth was considered to be flat in Europe(another myth spread by religion) and it took Christopher Columbus to go around the world to finally prove them wrong.
Its true we don't know about everything but its better to say i don't know rather than saying god did it.

best first post by a newbie, ever

Neuron

Electronic.
My views have changed since the past month when i read the wikipedia article on free will.
Stephen Hawking says that free will is just an illusion which i think must be true since everything happening in the universe is bound to some laws and every thought that develop in our brain is related to the environmental conditions and also the brain structure which indirectly is related with the past events.
Now if there is no free will then well, nobody is responsible for what they do.If that's the case then there can't be a hell or heaven and the chance for the existence of a god becomes less.Even if he exists he cannot be all powerful since he too is bound to these rules.
However,there s still a small chance that this isn't the case.

doomgiver

Warframe
no free will = no responsibility.
we "know"/understand intuitively that we are responsible for our own actions, so there is no god.

else lets go on a rampage like the london folks and then tell the police that "it wasnt me", lol

nakulp

Right off the assembly line
"Will tell you people the truth. It was God himself who made me an atheist. He was like:
- Thou shall be smarter than a great percentage of the world and shall not believe in Me. Use knowledge, common sense, logic, intelligence and shall realize I am just a hoax. Amen, my son. Let yourself be with thee. Thou can do things for and by yourself."

Atheist from 4 years and committed to Science till death!:-D

sygeek

Technomancer
"Will tell you people the truth. It was God himself who made me an atheist. He was like:
- Thou shall be smarter than a great percentage of the world and shall not believe in Me. Use knowledge, common sense, logic, intelligence and shall realize I am just a hoax. Amen, my son. Let yourself be with thee. Thou can do things for and by yourself."

Atheist from 4 years and committed to Science till death!:-D
It was all going good and funny until you said this. Science is not a religion to believe in, neither it is like a relationship with Jesus to commit to.

Top Bottom