Salary or Better Workplace -Which one would you compromise on and why?

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Salary or Better Workplace -Which one would you compromise on and why?

If you have two job offers - one offering very good salary and the other one promising you a very friendly and exciting workplace. Which one would you choose?

And -
Would you narrow down your career choice on the basis of expected salary packages?

Please don't reply saying that both are equally important. The situation to be assumed is that both the offers have significant demarcations.

You have to ask yourself this question .

At some point of time in your life you want money and sometimes Job satisfaction . I dont think Environment plays a big role to me . ( Just my opinion ) . It plays a role but that wont be a factor for me to join or reject a company .

I think you should know what is important to you right now . Life changes so does Priorities .

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Well I for one do not give much attention to money. No, I do not come from a millionaire family but the values I got from my father worth the same. He is an honest government officer and we learnt it (the hard way ofcourse) that money is not at all important in life.

Coming back to your question I prefer workplace/work environment/job satisfaction anyday over salary. What I have understood in my 7 year career is that package doesn't increase only by hopping from one place to another. Onsite is a different thing, we can talk about it later but even if you remain in one place and "perform" you will not be far behind from your friends who have switched 2 or 3 companies during the same time.

Moreover what I have learnt is, whether I earn 10K (the amount I started my career with) or 65K all that money will go into something or another. I save, I do, but it is never enough. Bike, car, flat, bigger car, bigger flat, flights...there are soo many ways to spend all the money you earn. :)

So I would compromise on salary to get a better workplace.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
How can someone offer (promise) friendly and exciting workplace? Something which is not countable or measurable!

The company which is offering better salary can also claim that they provide better work environment.

Did the other company explain what they meant when they told about "friendly and exciting" workplace.

Intelligent solution:-

Join teh company with good pay package.
After two years join the comany with good work environment.
Thus you get minimum 30% hike on ur present salary + better work environment.
:D :D :D

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
I think company offering better packages have better workplace n work culture(unless its inf***s or wip**)

But i will never compromise on interest of ur field for salary....like jumping to business domain if u have interest in tech for hikes...

Well I for one do not give much attention to money. No, I do not come from a millionaire family but the values I got from my father worth the same. He is an honest government officer and we learnt it (the hard way ofcourse) that money is not at all important in life.

Coming back to your question I prefer workplace/work environment/job satisfaction anyday over salary. What I have understood in my 7 year career is that package doesn't increase only by hopping from one place to another. Onsite is a different thing, we can talk about it later but even if you remain in one place and "perform" you will not be far behind from your friends who have switched 2 or 3 companies during the same time.

Moreover what I have learnt is, whether I earn 10K (the amount I started my career with) or 65K all that money will go into something or another. I save, I do, but it is never enough. Bike, car, flat, bigger car, bigger flat, flights...there are soo many ways to spend all the money you earn. :)

So I would compromise on salary to get a better workplace.

+1 ...

Sarath

iDota
This is a no brainer when you look at the bigger picture. Better work place obviously. You want peace of mind or a stash of money at the cost of that. However I hope the difference is not enormous.

Bad office environment > More stress > Come home and fight / argue (increased irritability) > Marraige on the rocks > Broken marraige > Expensive divorce > Savings lost

So better go for nice enviro for happy life.

If you say you are not married then I can bet a 100 bucks that you will get married sooner or later. So yes, that point is for you too.

Honestly, I am too young to comment on this but I have seen elevated stress levels and bad workplace take a toll on ones health and hence I added my views

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
Salary or Better Workplace -Which one would you compromoise on and why?

Ques: Salary or Better Workplace? :cool:
Ans: Better Workplace :wink:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Salary first. Earn and save as much money as possible while you still can and while you're still young and single. When you get older, settled down nicely, get promoted and stuff, that's when you can afford to think of better workplace. Growth is inevitable anyways, but savings are more important especially in this day of age.

Its not necessary that places who gives good salary will be bad work places. Logically speaking, if they can spend a lot of money on you then they should have a friendly and quality workplace- unless its some lame agency that calls itself as a company but practices certain questionable work ethics.

What Rhitwick says is how usually people do it. Others usually work for 5-10 years slaving in a company and then apply for another job in another company. Getting a significant Pay hike/better job designation is usually higher and they'll give you a job with a confidence that you have stayed in a company for a long time, so if everything is hunky dory it should be the same case for them.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
I have been working for around 10 years now .... initially we also used to have all sorts of discussion on Job Satisfaction, workplace blah blah ..... but believe me in the long run after you have a family to run ...... a Decent salary is ALL that counts and keeps you going. Rest just becomes a compromise ........

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been working for around 10 years now .... initially we also used to have all sorts of discussion on Job Satisfaction, workplace blah blah ..... but believe me in the long run after you have a family to run ...... a Decent salary is ALL that counts and keeps you going. Rest just becomes a compromise ........

Worked/Working for 5 years in multiple organizations. Fully agree with you. All that counts is salary and perks at the end of the day. Others be damned. Better workplace? Our office is probably the finest example of complete office discomfort. Yet, considering the amount of workload and the salary/perks we get, geekspeek, its total VFM. ;)

mitraark

Decrepit

I'll remember that , thanks :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I also have 10 years of experience. And it is the salary which is the biggest factor. No place no matter what they say can guarantee a "better" workplace. Happiness is subjective and difficult to equate. For me the biggest factors are skillset, JD, company profile (stock status/market value) and the location. Salary comes by default. I really do not go seeking for happiness or a dandy-hoola ho type of environment. Personally holier than thou companies (which live on a pretext of always happy) irritate me to no end.

Just seek a good package and the line of work you are interested in. Keep foresight -- where will I stand 5 years from now, if I pick up this job.

I think a person should always look for maximum "profitability" in whatever he does. And profitability is not money alone, nor does it exclude money completely. You need enough dough to keep you going. At the same time a job in a field of interest might ensure you love the job and hence grow a lot faster. And workplace happiness is relative - again priorities might be different as would be contexts.

While I'm rather inexperienced compared to most guys here, this method of checking "overall profitability" of any and every decision I've made has ensured that I've nothing to regret or feel guilty about :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
Ok I too have 4 years job experience in multiple companies from CA firm to MNC ....My main reason to leave a company was common thats poor work environment - no chance to learn new things, no growth options, no appraisal for good work all the credits senior team member take, idiot senior member with poor knowledge etc...money was never a factor

I think if I get proper path to grow, a good senior member to learn from, some training from company... I would certainly get a good job with better working condition and pay package

Minion

Conversation Architect
+1 for better work place money is not everything you need,Again if a firm is paying you handsome package but it has corporate politics,and they don't allow any growth what a person will do with all that money. He have no growth it means he is standing in same position when he has joined a company I will prefer better work place.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@Minion, do you do job? Any job? Anywhere?

"money is not everything...." lol

If your answer is yes...well, you are sleeping then...wake up!

Every company has office politics (not corporate politics). And what is "allowing growth"...you have to be aggressive enough to grow. The MNCs are dog-eat-dog world. Lazy and laid back people wither won't survive or would take time to grow...

Top Bottom