Salary or Better Workplace -Which one would you compromise on and why?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Dude I've been through those days.

My boss once convincing me to stay in project ended up saying "forget those dark ages...". He accepted he did wrong...

But, that is not the point. In that 3 yrs duration I've observed people who achieved what they wanted. They were ready to do anything for that. ANYTHING!

I was not, I was stiff and arrogant and honest. I lost.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@rhitwick I am somewhat like u then :D...but really I wont bear any boss after an acceptable limit...

@sam9s You r right that most of the bosses r like that...but some play politics/pranks with you like giving extra workload, stopping you for overtime, not giving you halfday, wont scold a sexy gal for the same issue
but some r real bad like scold you even for good work, give negative remarks on appraisal meetings, wont let you get training, give last minute work just 2 mins before leaving

I have a real bad experience when I was in a manufacturing company as an IT executive/ERP executive ....That DGM scolded me black and blue with all those ^&%&% language (in hindi) :(
Left the job without even intimating him...what do you want me to do ?? work for money there ;)

BTW offtopic but here is a pic I'd like to share :grin:

*fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307776_288140324543343_100000421347308_1053203_767758095_n.jpg

Look @ Intern and Employee :lol:

sujoyp

Grand Master
@sam9s I agree to what u said...specially after merrige its not easy to change job...I am still single and no burden no responsibilities :D

I really feel with responsibilities we have to adjust and compromise :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everybody talking about corporate office, its more or less same in govt. organizations too. You just need to find a way to compromise until you get something better, and once you are over that age, you simply learn to stay put against all odds. At the end of the day, if your family is happy, you too become happy. Of course, if career is above family on your priority list, then its different.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Even I was arrogant, stiff, adamant, honest, contradicting, impatient, ....... and even I lost .... lost again ....and again, then again and 5 years down the line loosing ....now I have almost no arrogance, all acceptance, boss is always right attitude, total patience ....... see all say nothing temperament, flow with the crowd attitude and the last 5 years I have managed to stay with one company, increased my salary by leaps and bounds and kept my family contended ......... though the work environment is still crap, Boss is still an *******, and most of the people are still hooligans ..... story is still the same all that changed was me .. :D

I was like you -- but for even longer. ~ 7 years. I would show the middle-finga' to my bosses. And suffered. I got stunted growth and most of my peers are ahead of me now. Now I am meek and docile. I do not brown nose, but I try not to ascertain my PoV or show my boss the correct way each time. It never works. I keep my honor and self pride, but have learnt the hard way. Sad but true.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I follow the golden principle of listening more and talking less. Guess my introvert nature really helps. ;)

Krow

Crowman
I just do my job as best as I can and get out. If it is a matter of two or three thousand bucks, I'd choose the better workplace.

A lot of firms offer a good starting package with bad increments. Beware of these.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
A lot of firms offer a good starting package with bad increments. Beware of these.

The sole reason that switching company is much more lucrative than waiting for appraisals in IT sector.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
The sole reason that switching company is much more lucrative than waiting for appraisals in IT sector.

+1 for that. If the difference in take-home salary is just 3 to 5k per month, it is better to stay in a company that offers better work culture.
There are cases when the salary difference comes to 15 to 20k per month. Even though the company that offers more has questionable work policies and difficult to work, you can somehow manage and work as much as possible there.

Increase your bank balance when you are single. Look at it this way: If you have slog for 2 years in a hard-to-work company and save 20 lakh, you'll get 15k per month just as interest if you invest that amount. It is as good as getting 15k more in take home income every month.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Look at it this way: If you have slog for 2 years in a hard-to-work company and save 20 lakh, you'll get 15k per month just as interest if you invest that amount. It is as good as getting 15k more in take home income every month.

Man, how can you save 20 lakhs in just two years ?? :crazy: For that you need to have a package of at least 15 lakhs/annum, and its possible for only for IITians and NITians (that too with excellent CGPA) :(

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Man, how can you save 20 lakhs in just two years ?? :crazy: For that you need to have a package of at least 15 lakhs/annum, and its possible for only for IITians and NITians (that too with excellent CGPA) :(

Easily possible if you stay onsite for 1 to 1.5 years. You get to see a new place and also increase your bank balance. IMHO this is possible before marriage. Again luck and skill plays its part here.

Having a big bank balance helps a lot. You'll not be so worried about losing your job since you'll have the buffer amount to rely on.

This is just my opinion here:
I feel it is better to have at least 25 lakh in networth before marriage (@27 or 28). For this you need to go onsite for a couple of years. Even if you need to buy a flat and settle down after marriage, it'll make things a lot easier since your loan liability is less. And you can easily buy a new car without taking a loan.
The key is to get into a company that has more onsite opportunities and to do this in the early phase of one's career.

Just my 2 cents. No offense meant to anyone :grin:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
When you start you career, the most important thing is Salary.
But as you gradually grow in your experience, you would want, or rather need a good working place.

So, summary is, a good start in terms of salary is necessary.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
I was like you -- but for even longer. ~ 7 years. I would show the middle-finga' to my bosses. And suffered. I got stunted growth and most of my peers are ahead of me now. Now I am meek and docile. I do not brown nose, but I try not to ascertain my PoV or show my boss the correct way each time. It never works. I keep my honor and self pride, but have learnt the hard way. Sad but true.

Hmmm...7yrs...i.cant imagine the level of patience u had :-?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

I am 2 years into my job. A lot of time I do want to show my manager the "right" way. But never have the courage to do so, since he looks like a devil, and more so, when he see directly into my eyes.
But, reading your lines, had made me ponder that even if I do try to tell him where he's wrong, it might just not work. :( And would probably not even the right thing to do.

Baker

Albicelestes
if u see the list of "fortune best place to work for" .... all those are pay masters in industry...... but there can be odds in that list but still i believe both can happen at same time...

Then if you are working on one of the best paymaster as well in best work env company... you can be still unhappy because of
1:technology you are working on
2:roles you are handling
3: most importantly team mates
4; ur boss...

satisfying all these in one shot is kind of impossible... have to adjust with some of those and need to go on....

just my 2 cents

Top Bottom