Preview + Feedback [June 2010]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
Oh,the main one Community DVD is not working.
Got a tic tic sound and DVD+RW light is very dim when reading.
When try to open DVD explorer got hang.....:(
Don't I they will replace my DVD or not.
Do I have to mail them (help@thinkdigit.com) or have to contact then at Kolkata directly ?

ankushkool

Youngling
Re: Preview + Feedback [June 2010] - Disappointed

I finally got my copy 2 days back but not much impressed with it (even if its the 9th anniversary) :-(

I have been Digit subscriber for almost 5 years now but in the last 1 yr or so feel that the magazine quality has actually gone down...
Earlier scenario: I usually get to read it for around an hour or so in the night & that way used to find the whole month not sufficient to complete the magazine cover to cover, as most (if not all) articles used to be very interesting.
Current scenario: I'm done with the entire magazine in 2 to max 5 days -- though its mostly a quickly glance, I do read some of the articles full.. But still the content is very light or generic and not awe-inspiring.. Not as good as how it was earlier.

The feedback printed on the magazine is also usually the most positive ones -- raising a doubt whether Digit is sidelining the other type of comments completely & getting a bit complacent.

I don't believe recent focus on Social Networking & Open Source can bring this difference... Would like Digit to review this and do the needful, so that subscriber interest is retained.

Even the product comparisons of late seem not to include the best and usual reasoning given is that comparison include all models made available by respective manufacturer within the time period. If the models being made available are really small in number, are the manufacturers not seeing the value in Digit's comparison? Are they not feeling compelled to feature in Digit? Shouldn't Digit think about how to makes its value proposition more compelling so that unbiased & proper comparison highlights the best (across different categories) in the market -- so that the manufacturer's target customer group gets to know their product is the best for their group category?

Its definitely time for Digit to look within as well as outside and innovate itself to remain the best in business.

I agree with you and have raised the same concern... hope they take this seriously and take some action. fingers crossed!

dead.night7

Journeyman
Wrote the pin no and won the digit voucher rs890. Was said that the email would be dropped within 48 hours. What a joke mere 2 weeks passed and on n on but no replie man got sucked. Not playing Ctc. What have dropped in the community dvd is all mere ****. What would you do by seeing all those crew of digit dancing. Does it gives us any knowledge. Thought that the computer chronicles would be useful but what a f*%* ALL videos in mp4. Great what should we do by seeing all those in the pc maybe all blur. You guys are good for nothing.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Will wait for any of the mod to give their satisfactory excuses/explanatory replies and once again for shifting us from the run. Really annoyed

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Its been a long time since I posted here on the forum but this issue has forced me too. Why? u may ask, because of the sheer lack of quality content and the incoherent method of publishing this magazine. I have been reading Digit since 1996, yes the time when there was no Digit, it was CHIP.
Lemme start from the cover itself :x

1. Upto page 9 everything looks ok but turning the page and I was like WTF? What is this, no heading or nothing. Then I found that it was reader's mails and letters page. OkK a small error, it can be ignored as I can only imagine the pressure guys are under to churn out a blockbuster anniversary edition.
  2. OK, moving on I see all the articles and section like Drool maal and stuff but as soon as I get to page 33, deja vu. Didn't Digit did the whole Green theme issue 2 months back. This made me think, is the Digit staff being held hostage by Greenpeace, forcing them to go tree huggers way in every second issue ?
  3. Now an article about 3D TV on page 48. This was something good but after this one hopes that you will give the HHDTV test as it would give a natural flow to the content and information being conveyed but no, its a pathetic single page attempt at Embedded Devices which too is left incomplete and on the very next page u get more 3D TV. Is it just me or do u guys also feel that this kind of article presentation breaks the whole flow of the article?
  4. I did like the way the results of the HDTV test were formatted and displayed in a TV border box.
  5. On page 121, for Optical drives, for all types of systems the option was mentioned as LG H55N except for Ultra high-end config. Umm can't we get more choice here?
  6. This time where were the articles related to major upcoming technologies that industry feels might make or break? U always used to give 'em.
  7. Where are the game reviews? U expect us to squint our eyes and look for game articles in a pocket dictionary? SKOAR deserves better. If u can't keep it alive any longer than allow it to gracefully die, don't humiliate the only Indian gaming magazine like this. :x
  8. On the backside of the cardboard used for packaging, its written Rs 4 crore of Prizes inside but inside the magazine, I wasn't able to find even a single page mentioning any information related to it. I know I haven't read the magazine yet, just skimmed through it but even then if u r making such grand statements then back it up with concrete data.
As for now this is it but now looks like I'll have to be more active here to put the house in order, at least here :cool:

Wrote the pin no and won the digit voucher rs890. Was said that the email would be dropped within 48 hours. What a joke mere 2 weeks passed and on n on but no replie man got sucked. Not playing Ctc. What have dropped in the community dvd is all mere ****. What would you do by seeing all those crew of digit dancing. Does it gives us any knowledge. Thought that the computer chronicles would be useful but what a f*%* ALL videos in mp4. Great what should we do by seeing all those in the pc maybe all blur. You guys are good for nothing.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Will wait for any of the mod to give their satisfactory excuses/explanatory replies and once again for shifting us from the run. Really annoyed

The digit dancing part was not annoying for me at-least..my 2-4 year old cousins loves this wtf a lot..that was the best stuff in the dvds and magazines this time..do watch it and keep laughing for 250bucks..awesome digit !! you rock :D

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
Me to won a Rs.890/- of course at training.com.
What a coincident,lol.....
But have to wait for the reply from training.com.

dead.night7

Journeyman
Its been a long time since I posted here on the forum but this issue has forced me too. Why? u may ask, because of the sheer lack of quality content and the incoherent method of publishing this magazine. I have been reading Digit since 1996, yes the time when there was no Digit, it was CHIP.

1. Upto page 9 everything looks ok but turning the page and I was like WTF? What is this, no heading or nothing. Then I found that it was reader's mails and letters page. OkK a small error, it can be ignored as I can only imagine the pressure guys are under to churn out a blockbuster anniversary edition.
  2. OK, moving on I see all the articles and section like Drool maal and stuff but as soon as I get to page 33, deja vu. Didn't Digit did the whole Green theme issue 2 months back. This made me think, is the Digit staff being held hostage by Greenpeace, forcing them to go tree huggers way in every second issue ?
  3. Now an article about 3D TV on page 48. This was something good but after this one hopes that you will give the HHDTV test as it would give a natural flow to the content and information being conveyed but no, its a pathetic single page attempt at Embedded Devices which too is left incomplete and on the very next page u get more 3D TV. Is it just me or do u guys also feel that this kind of article presentation breaks the whole flow of the article?
  4. I did like the way the results of the HDTV test were formatted and displayed in a TV border box.
  5. On page 121, for Optical drives, for all types of systems the option was mentioned as LG H55N except for Ultra high-end config. Umm can't we get more choice here?
  6. This time where were the articles related to major upcoming technologies that industry feels might make or break? U always used to give 'em.
  7. Where are the game reviews? U expect us to squint our eyes and look for game articles in a pocket dictionary? SKOAR deserves better. If u can't keep it alive any longer than allow it to gracefully die, don't humiliate the only Indian gaming magazine like this. :x
  8. On the backside of the cardboard used for packaging, its written Rs 4 crore of Prizes inside but inside the magazine, I wasn't able to find even a single page mentioning any information related to it. I know I haven't read the magazine yet, just skimmed through it but even then if u r making such grand statements then back it up with concrete data.
As for now this is it but now looks like I'll have to be more active here to put the house in order, at least here :cool:

let me tell you one thing
in whisper
(dont tell anyone )

the prizes worth 4cr is being the sum total of all the prices of the prize. You wont get that all money once which would go into someones pocket. Fair deal here digit. You have to put the code right into their website to claim some part of their 4cr price. What do you think everyone here is having that swiss knife, vouchers for free. No man they would be deducting that price from the price printed in the back of cardboard. Even you can win this and i am totally sure that you would get training voucher on entering code. Rest for the magazine its well ok for right now. All are celebrating their 9 years of completion and forgetting what they did in the past to become no 1. This is sure that if digit goes right like this raising their money and too little content in magazine. They would get washed out. About my opinion digit's some articles were bore some were really interesting. But if i calculate the ratio of them it would be 5:1 as (bored:interesting). They make every articles fine but i also feel like i should throw this away sometimes.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

The digit dancing part was not annoying for me at-least..my 2-4 year old cousins loves this wtf a lot..that was the best stuff in the dvds and magazines this time..do watch it and keep laughing for 250bucks..awesome digit !! you rock :D

ask your cousins that would they like to read digit magazine too. And they would like this wtf also for no reasons ;-). Dont mind it friend... Was joking. But frankly see that the stuff is for us.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
finally going to spend my 150rs on this items..
fastrack to C++,Linux,Agent001..
pls tell me that if there is any thing that i must order rather than this three..

Thanks

If I were you I would rather spend that to buy the next issue, the FT's are covered in PDF already.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin

1. There's a little "Inbox" on the top left. But I get your point, lets see what we can do to fix that.
2. The Green initiative is NOT something we're going to stop. We're going to do an article on it as often as we can. I don't think trying to save the environment is a bad thing. Tree huggers? Seriously? I never understood how we're so easily able to mock the good in people. Somehow, you seem to be making fun of people caring for the environment. That's just illogical. What did you do with your seeds, by the way?
3. Article on page 51 is an advertorial, and clearly marked so.
4. That was Vijay Padaya's idea. He says thanks.
5. More choices for a DVD-writer that costs Rs. 1,100? We tested them, the one we though was the best we recommend. Why would we recommend drives that are not the best for a category like optical drives? I don't get the point here...
6. Are you asking about articles like "10 best..." "5 most..." etc.? We still do them, but all through the year, whenever relevant.
7. Because of SKOAR! mini, we decided to not do game reviews for the anniversary issue. Also, I'd really like you guys to not ignore the mails we send out asking for feedback or the polls we conduct, because a majority of readers who have given feedback in the past have said that we have "too much gaming content". Personally I'd love to have more gaming content from SKOAR!, but if the majority of readers say they don't want it, I can't put it in.
8. The details for the contest are clearly on the back of the DIY Fast Track.

There also seems to be some confusion about this 4 crore of gifts/prizes with some of you.

I want to clarify that yes, this is the total amount of prizes we're giving away. It's not like some or many of you could win 4 crores in prizes!

Well you could, theoretically, but only if you bought ever single copy of digit printed this month... which is, again, impossible...

Just for my information for the future, I want you guys to tell me if this was not clear to you?

I honestly didn't think there would be any confusion... it's not like we could give away 4 crores to everyone! That's like, well, wow, more money than I can imagine. We'd have to bigger than both Reliances combined to be able to just give away that much...

For the other queries:

Training.com will be contacting everyone who registered for the courses soon.

The CTC II will run well into July, so as to make sure everyone has a chance to play. We're taking it slow right now, and it will pick up only at the end of June, so be prepared for hectic puzzle solving then.

There were 2 articles from SKOAR! and they were clearly marked marked "Best of SKOAR!" How does an article from SKOAR! in SKOAR! mini constitute "copy pasting"? My apologies for the language, we should have checked that more thoroughly.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
2. The Green initiative is NOT something we're going to stop. We're going to do an article on it as often as we can. I don't think trying to save the environment is a bad thing.

Kudos to the team!

The CTC II will run well into July,...

WOW! Thats Incredible, I thought I was gonna miss this CTC but now I have more duration. But evidently I think this would be more challenging now, the glimpse of which I can clearly see, even in the start.

My apologies for the language, we should have checked that more thoroughly.

Apology accepted, at least from me. You should be more careful though. And I really think you should use some kind of filters in the future. So that its replaced by something like "yada" ;)

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
2. The Green initiative is NOT something we're going to stop. We're going to do an article on it as often as we can. I don't think trying to save the environment is a bad thing. Tree huggers? Seriously? I never understood how we're so easily able to mock the good in people. Somehow, you seem to be making fun of people caring for the environment. That's just illogical. What did you do with your seeds, by the way?
My seeds are still with me because I'll plant them in my Orchard, Yes u heard it right. My father is a farmer. Nobody else in this forum is/will be more affected by climate change then me. A hot day will be just a hot day for u people, Save yourself from it by cooling all are set but we, my father and his workers, we sweat it out in the field to make sure that extreme heat or cold doesn't kills our crop. By crop its not just only Kharif and Rabi but we also do vegetables like Tomatoes, Radish, fruits like Mangoes, Papayas, Guavas and many more.
To be more efficient and green, we rotate our crops and tend to use manure more as we also have a large number of buffaloes and cows.
My father is very strict in use of fertilizers and strictly against the use of artificial Auxins and Cytokinins in plants. In case of seeds we are always stuck between a hard place and a rock.
Either we buy natural seeds which are prone to diseases and spend money on insecticides and pesticides to protect them OR we used genetically engineered seeds which are prone to some diseases but according to some they require more resources like "Saathi Dhan". Its a type of rice seed which is less prone to diseases and insects but requires longer maturity period and longer period of irrigation, 60 days, that's why the name Saathi dhan.
So u see people might care for environment when they feel like it, I have to do it as a duty as our livelihood depends upon it.
I know we are not a totally green farming unit either.We do increase our carbon footprint in summers as we use diesel generators more to power tube wells to irrigate our paddy crop but we do try to take healthier and environment friendly approach whenever we can :)
3. Article on page 51 is an advertorial, and clearly marked so.
Well as I said, I skimmed through the magazine and even if it was and advertorial, don't u think it was wrongly placed? After the article it would have done just fine.
5. More choices for a DVD-writer that costs Rs. 1,100? We tested them, the one we though was the best we recommend. Why would we recommend drives that are not the best for a category like optical drives? I don't get the point here...
Up till now, we did have the King of the hill kinda approach towards the products but there are many products which are either not rated or not discussed much about but are really good in performance. Like Asus's 2014LIT DVD drives. They are capable of Lightscribe, alright the technology didn't pick up much but even on the performance scale they do very well. I have one for past 2 years and it is the only one so far which has been able to read Digit DVDs properly. I have 2 TSST,1 Sony DVD drives and none of these 3 ever read any of the Digit disk while they read all other disks just fine.
My other point is that that if u include the DVD drive for HTPC build then as most commonly available HTPC require slim ODD,like Cooler master's Elite series, why don't you include find,review and include one?
7. Because of SKOAR! mini, we decided to not do game reviews for the anniversary issue. Also, I'd really like you guys to not ignore the mails we send out asking for feedback or the polls we conduct, because a majority of readers who have given feedback in the past have said that we have "too much gaming content". Personally I'd love to have more gaming content from SKOAR!, but if the majority of readers say they don't want it, I can't put it in.
Like it is said that u can never have too much of RAM, same way you can never have too much of gaming.
We are the world's second largest emerging economy after China and probably the largest population too, with highest numbers of people in 20-30 years of age band. Don't think under this lies the biggest untapped Gaming community ? Digit and SKOAR has been the voice of this community and while SKOAR wanted to make that voice into a roar, with this edition u made that voice into a whimper. Please don't do this, think rationally, what would Jesus do? ;)

There also seems to be some confusion about this 4 crore of gifts/prizes with some of you.

I want to clarify that yes, this is the total amount of prizes we're giving away. It's not like some or many of you could win 4 crores in prizes!

Well you could, theoretically, but only if you bought ever single copy of digit printed this month... which is, again, impossible...

Just for my information for the future, I want you guys to tell me if this was not clear to you?

I honestly didn't think there would be any confusion... it's not like we could give away 4 crores to everyone! That's like, well, wow, more money than I can imagine. We'd have to bigger than both Reliances combined to be able to just give away that much...
I very well know that the combined value of prizes stands to be 4crore, not a single prize for one lucky fella. What I'm trying to say here is that by inclusion of activities like CTC this time too and then running the prize contest, many of us are not able to discern that whether the prizes are to be won via the CTC competition or by doing something else?
Many of us read Digit in our leisure time too and while we don't want to strain our minds then solving Playfair and Substitution cipher riddles, we still would love to win something by the means of a quiz. It can be a single quiz or multiple quizzes spread across on many pages, just like your CTC questions and clues.
As I have said earlier also, I've been reading Digit even before its modern avatar as Digit. I have seen the magazine transform through period of time. Change itself with changing administration (First Jasubhai now 9Dot9), it really pains me to see the guys fumble the ball when they have been getting to the end zone issue after issue. Want to know better what I'm trying to say, pick up the copy of June 2005 Digit and compare it with this June's issue. You'll see what I'm trying to say here.
Many publications launched their endeavors in this market, many came, many went but Digit is here to stay and I'm here to stay with Digit.
Don't think that I'm a paranoid psycho working in a basement, I'm just a guy who grew up with Digit (Chip back then) and saw it transform over the years just like me and now I'm afraid to see my favorite publication to go down a dark path. I just love Digit too much :p

Last edited:

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
We are the world's second largest emerging economy after China and probably the largest population too, with highest numbers of people in 20-30 years of age band. Don't think under this lies the biggest untapped Gaming community ? Digit and SKOAR has been the voice of this community and while SKOAR wanted to make that voice into a roar, with this edition u made that voice into a whimper. Please don't do this, think rationally, what would Jesus do? ;)

What would Jesus do? Lol... I have no clue, if I meet him I'll ask him. All I know is that there are many people who want gaming content, but I can't go against overwhelming feedback from those who take the time to offer it. Right now you're one vote (out of a few hundred) who ask for more gaming content, but pit that against thousands of people who have said we do "too much gaming" and I can't justify it anymore. So please, if you feel we have too little gaming content, let us know.

I very well know that the combined value of prizes stands to be 4crore, not a single prize for one lucky fella. What I'm trying to say here is that by inclusion of activities like CTC this time too and then running the prize contest, many of us are not able to discern that whether the prizes are to be won via the CTC competition or by doing something else?
The gifts and lucky draw items are totaling to a little over 4 crore. CTC II and other competitions have their own prizes. Anyway CTC II is less about prizes and more about the fun of playing.

As I have said earlier also, I've been reading Digit even before its modern avatar as Digit. I have seen the magazine transform through period of time. Change itself with changing administration (First Jasubhai now 9Dot9), it really pains me to see the guys fumble the ball when they have been getting to the end zone issue after issue. Want to know better what I'm trying to say, pick up the copy of June 2005 Digit and compare it with this June's issue. You'll see what I'm trying to say here.
Many publications launched their endeavors in this market, many came, many went but Digit is here to stay and I'm here to stay with Digit.
Don't think that I'm a paranoid psycho working in a basement, I'm just a guy who grew up with Digit (Chip back then) and saw it transform over the years just like me and now I'm afraid to see my favorite publication to go down a dark path. I just love Digit too much :p

I also grew up with Digit (or rather, it's earlier form) and I wrote / edited a rather large portion of the June 2005 issue you speak of.

I think you like the "collector's" feel, and prefer anniversary issues that are visibly very different from regular issues. Instead of packing all stories like the ones in June 2005 into one big issue, we do them all year round now. We just felt that working on the 2 Fast Tracks that the majority of you guys had demanded was a better option for this anniversary. It was after all about you, the community, and giving you what you had asked for.

Hint: I think Plasma will like our October & December specials this year, though.

Techn0crat

RPG FTW!!!
Those who are complaining about this issue being a catalog, look at the cover.Who's there?Agent 001.So there's your answer why digit is like gadget catalog.
They are giving too much importance to Agent 001.I personally don't like. He Feels like a rich brat who runs around college showing his fancy stuff(Just look at the article in May 2009 about packing stuff while going to holiday,seriously are you really running away from your day-to-day life when you pack laptop and ipod?).

Last edited:

-=[bZk]=-

Broken In
Well, I finally got the copy today in the evening. 1 day before the second phase starts. Now how is it fair that a subscriber gets 1 DAY to solve all the clues in the night and start the second phase tomorrow ?

Its really aweful especially for the anniversary issue. Also, it makes it totally meaningless for me to participate starting now because, my college starts from monday and being it my final year, i cannot really spare that much time that will be required to catch up will all the guys who already conquered to this stage. None-the-less, I will try my best to complete most of the clues within time.

I expected better of the magzine which completed 9 years and has remained #1 for the same time. I mean, apart from a few months, never did the magazine was delivered before the 2nd week. This needs some serious looking into.

Is it my fault ? If it is, I apologise

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I do not understand how the comparison of people who happen to be blessed with an abundance of money and this Magazine correlate. Either way I personally enjoy the Agent 001 articles D: . I find them of more practical use I guess than the other Articles .

dead.night7

Journeyman
Those who are complaining about this issue being a catalog, look at the cover.Who's there?Agent 001.So there's your answer why digit is like gadget catalog.
They are giving too much importance to Agent 001.I personally don't like. He Feels like a rich brat who runs around college showing his fancy stuff(Just look at the article in May 2009 about packing stuff while going to holiday,seriously are you really running away from your day-to-day life when you pack laptop and ipod?).

many people like agent 1. Including me so that does not means digit becomes gadget catalogue. Agent1 pages are hardly not more than 3. Instead he gives advices on gadgets not the reviews.

Yepeeee...
Finally after so many days passed I got my access code to training.Com yay now i think i won something in my life :-D:-D

:-( but there is still a nasty question in my mind can anyone solve it. I know many people on this site may dont know how the process of e learning will go if someone knows, please speak those holy words from your rare hands, type it and enlighten us from knowledge about it. Those doubts are

1. Would there be someone to teach us
2. Would there be someone who would give the answers of our rising questions
3. Would it be like the buffering on youtube.
Digit may not provide the knowledge on the pages of their magazine but after holding their ears differently from way side of their head,(kaan ulta pakadkar) i think i would get the right information now which I ever wanted to know.

Last edited:

saratdear

Broken In
There were 2 articles from SKOAR! and they were clearly marked marked "Best of SKOAR!" How does an article from SKOAR! in SKOAR! mini constitute "copy pasting"? My apologies for the language, we should have checked that more thoroughly.

Apology accepted. :) And I am sorry that I didn't notice the article said "Best of SKOAR!".

I received the email from training.com...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom