** Post all your BSNL Broadband Related Queries Here **

din

Tribal Boy
Re: **Post all your BSNL Dataone Related Queries Here**

Check - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54225

Thats an excellent tutorial by Choto Cheeta, with pics. Your requirement is well explained in that.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl

Guys I need help..

My BSNL Connection speed is fine but it suddennly disconnects every 10-15 mins. Also lags randomly in online games..

What can be the problem

din

Tribal Boy

My problem gone more strange !!

They changed verything, changed the cable too. And it was up last night. But went down later. Today morning up again, the Engineer came, it was all ok, then in the afternoon, it went down :(

Now the same thing. I mean line LED blinks sometimes, some times it becomes stable - both time, internet down :(

No idea whats the problem.

Another thing is, there is an online UPS in the room, any chance of electrical interference ? But I kept modem on the other corener of room last week and it was same.

Utter confusion :( :(

jvijay86

Broken In

arnab2kool said:
Hi everybody,

Well I called my local exchange and told them to check the line, and they said that its working fine. Then at night from 2 am to 7 am I was using the internet. Well it was not so much fast, but was working not bad. Then I ran a test at 7 or 7. 15 am and got this report.

Download: 84 (Kbps)
Upload: 101 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 10.2 down 12.3 up
Boost: 1607
Latency: 310 ms
Tested by server: 3 flash
User: anonymous
User's DNS: bsnl.in

So what to do? Shud I complain the guys in Dataone? Cause from 2 am to 6.45 or 7 am I was not getting this speed. What do you say guys?

Thank you.

guess this is prob with number of connections in your exchange...i was shifted to this newly formed exchange a couple of years back, not many connections here so speed's always uniform but for my friend it takes 4 to 5 hours for a 300 mb d/l ...so it depends primarily on the exchange , letsc if they do a upgrade in yours...

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

din said:
My problem gone more strange !!

They changed verything, changed the cable too. And it was up last night. But went down later. Today morning up again, the Engineer came, it was all ok, then in the afternoon, it went down :(

Now the same thing. I mean line LED blinks sometimes, some times it becomes stable - both time, internet down :(

No idea whats the problem.

Another thing is, there is an online UPS in the room, any chance of electrical interference ? But I kept modem on the other corener of room last week and it was same.

Utter confusion :( :(

@din, if you haven't tried with a different modem, then that's the first thing to do.

Also make sure the phone line goes directly to your modem without going through any filters/splitter/phone.

If the problem still persists.. then it's certainly a problem with the equipment at the exchange, but ask around a few people in your area to see if the problem is widespread, becoz if it's an exchange equipment issue, you won't be the only one having the problem.

din

Tribal Boy

@Cyrus_the_virus

Thank you for the suggestion, however I wil list the things I done so far, so you will also think this is strange ;)

1. Tried a different modem

2. Tried a different splitter

3. Tried changing all cables that goes to phone, modem etc

4. It was internal wiring, so I tried giving it direct from the underground cable.

5. Cable guys changed my connection from an old UG cable to new

6. The officials tried with a different telephone number

7. I changed position of modem etc thinking there may be some electrical interference

8. Was using a wireless router, removed that and tried to connect directly.

9. Tried on 3 different PCs and one laptop

10. Tried with different network cables (RJ 45)

And in all cases, it is the same. The line LED blinks sometimes, sometimes it is stable, and no internet in both cases. Another thing I noticed is, when there is internet it is very fast, second thing, most days internet is down after 1.00 PM (Broadband goes for lunch but then decide to take a nap ? lol )

Not sure what to do. One thing is in my case, the BSNL officials are very helpful, they are trying their level best and checking everything they can. They are also confused.

And as per the officials, only one person is having this much trouble in that exchange and thats me :(

Another thing which I am going to do tomorrow (as suggested by DGM). When broadband is down, I will take my modem and laptop to the exchange. Will test it from there directly. Atleast I will know where the problem is, I mean in line or in exchange or somewhere beyond exchange !!!

Will keep you posted ...

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters

din said:
Updates ...

Local SNRMargin 7.5 dB
Local Line Attn 60.5 dB

Remote Line Attn 42.0 dB
Remote SNRMargin 6.5 dB

@cyrus, which one of the above is the downstream?

@din you haven't still mentioned the ADSL downstream and upstream speeds. I presume that most modems do give this info.

In my case before 21 Nov the ADSL down/up link speeds were2048/526Kpbs.downstream noise margin 22db.

After reconnection on 27 Nov 2007, perhaps to a different DSLAM, the down/up link speeds are shown as 5000/500Kpbs.(The downstream varies from 4300 to 6300 whereas in the earlier connection it was rock-steady @2048.Downstream noise margin has come to be 6db. What is more it keeps varying from 0db to 12db.The JTO swears that the line has not been changed.

So I do presume that these DSLAMS slated for 8MB do bring down the downstream noise margin to the level of 6db. If you let me know your current ADSL link downstream and upstream speeds that will confirm my presumption since you state that even with a newer cable connection the noise margin remains the same as the old cable.

In my case the speed is totally inconsistent varying from almost 1.3 Mbps to nil.None of the web pages will load or will take abnormally longtime.From the service record i find the connection has not dropped.Modem records also show I remain connected even if no webpages load.
The other thing I have noticed was the connection remains good till about 1100 or 12 Noon and then goes for a toss.Again after 1800 hrs, it more or less remains good.

On the whole it is totally confusing.

I have now given up complaining and have shot an email to the BB guys with copies to the PGM, and DGM public relations that a notice under section 12a of the Consumer Protection Act 1986 is on the way charging BSNL of deficiency in service and negligence.

Here is the screen shot of 1.89 MB being downloaded in 30 minutes. ( this is actually the speedtest.bin file of the testing website)
View attachment 1359

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy

@Ponmayilal

I am sorry, but not sure why my modem config shows remote snr and local snr instaed of up and down. May be they are same ?

In my opnion, before giving complainints, contact the top officials, they should be able to help. In most cases going to the offices and meeting them directly helps a lot.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

Ponmayilal said:
@cyrus, which one of the above is the downstream?
local is downstream and remote is upstream

@din and @ponmayilal, like I mentioned a few posts earlier, both of your problem is realated to the low SNR levels, while one of you is loosing synch due to low SNR values, the other is having a dead routing due to the same. Both of you need to ask the Official at the exchange to Increase the SNR values on the DSLAM at the exchange.

For a 2Mbps line, you are supposed to have an SNR of anywhere between 14-30 and for a higher speed line, you need a minimum of 9-10dB in the downstream for a stable connection.

Be careful that they don't increase it too much, because if they do, then your lines will start to crawl.....

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy

SNR can be increased for a particular number at DSLAM ?

Mostly, I will be meeting the officials today, I will ask them that.

Meantime, I am on 256 kbps, I had plans of upgrading, but now I think I will wait till the 256 becoms stable !

Edit ...

After googling, I couldn't find any info of increasing SNR at any level. I think it can't be done ? I mean except cleaning joints, decreasing lenth etc will help to make SNR high, but no direct way to increase it ?

Last edited:

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters

I too have the same doubt. Can the Noise Margin of the line be tuned and set at the DSLAM?
Of course in the rate adaptive ADSL there are additional modules in the DSLAM such as RAMBO which through the feedback from the line conditions, automatically set the noise margin for optimum performance after a training period.This can be done by increasing the signal strength since it is the difference between the maximum signal strength and the noise strength.
If the noise margin is really tunable manually at the DSLAM, should not BSNL check it when a connection is given and tune it and set it????????

update: My link is up for the last 12 hours from 2100hrs yesterday with the highest noise margin so far 13db. It had not dropped connection and the speeds were consistently around 1.05 Mbps.

Now the noise margin has started coming down (11db now) and I presume that it will gradually drop down to 0 by 12 noon resulting in inconsistent speeds.

Right now thinkdigit.com is being routed through the VSNL gateway and none of the intervening nodes report any packet loss by the Visual route program ( which is nothing but a glorified version of windows traceart, throwing in some additional info such as the nodes involved and their location if it can determine it or guess it)

At some point of time either by design or for some reason the signals are routed through the Bharti (Reliance ) gateway. At that point the VisualRoute program indicates severe packet loss at some of the intervening nodes. Whether this is due to the network change or the lower noise margin existing at that time is not clear yet.

Last edited:

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz

Well actually the SNR can be increased from the exchange. If the signal output power from the exchange is increased, it increases the SNR too.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl

Am I sorta exiled from this thread? lol

I asked like twice and no answers :(

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters

^^ mebbe becoz ur prob appears to be less severe than others.:) :)
Only those who faced such problems and got it resolved may be able to give a definite solution.

Another reason is that that there are too many variables to pinpoint or suggest a definite solution.

When you complain to BSNL desk the very first question they will ask is Which modem do u use?.Anyway try your luck with them.

The next question they will ask Are you using a parallel telephone connection?

In any case you may try the modem on a friend's computer and check.Try his modem in your comp.Once you are sure that it is not your modem or the computer , then your ordeal begins.

Since I am not a gamer, I can say much less on the hanging.

Good luck.

din

Tribal Boy

Ok, went to the exchange with modem and my laptop. They set it there and same thing. No internet. Atleast one thing is sure - there is no problem with line. They tried a lot of things, finally tried with a different modem. White one instaed of Siemens. Starcom or something. That worked. But I am not convinced, because the officials tried with a different modem when they came to my home and that was not working. Anyway Engineer told me that it is the problem with my modem and he gave me this new one.

Came back home, now it shows ISP Authnetication error :(

Will call them again, may be some settings they forgot.

@Tech_Wiz

You get disconnected very 15 mins ? Also for how long ? Or it get disconnected and come back soon ? Post your SNR values, distance from exchange, your scheme, type of connection (all underground cable or overhead line etc) and other members will be able to comment on.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl

It get disconnected every 10-15 mins. Speed during connection is fine.

After DC I have to redial and it gets reconnected :(

Distantce from Telephone Exchange = 1200 mtrs odd.

BSNL 250 Plan 1 GB Limit.

Underground / overground I dont know. How to find out?
What is SNR value Where can I see it.

I use XP SP2 and Ubuntu 7.10 [Same DC issue on Both OSes]

din

Tribal Boy

SNR - Signal to Noise ratio - you will get it from modem config page (when you type 192.168.1.1 in browser)

Only 1200 m WOW. Hmm, it is really strange.

Underground cable - you can see how they gave you connection. For me, it is underground cable from exchange to home. But it may be halfway cable, then poles and overhead lines. You can see how it is given to your house.

Speed during connection is really good ?

din

Tribal Boy

OK, reset modem back to factory settings, then entered teh details and it is up from 4.45 evening. Downloading Edubuntu DVD @ 1.2Mbps. But will see whether the problem occurs again ... will have to wait and see lol

Top Bottom