Re: **Post all your BSNL Dataone Related Queries Here**

just wanna rattle everyone here. mumbai server

*www.speedtest.net/result/213963072.png

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

Ponmayilal said:
just wanna rattle everyone here. mumbai server
You still got stale routing issues @ponmayilal?

Mine below, although not BSNL, the upload and ping times are good:

*www.speedtest.net/result/213965342.png

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz

These days (for about a week) am unable to use the Mumbai server while doing speed tests on speedtest.net

Asked some of my friends to do the same, they also reported back the same.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters

The picture is still confusing. The noise margins are still varying between 13db and 0db.But generally during the last three days the speeds have been good and I am really not able to corelate the speeds with the noise margin.Even when the noise margin shows 4db the speed is 1.03 Mbps. Sometimes even when the noise margin is 6db it shows poor speed.
After observing the pattern during the last three days I have a vague feeling the noise margin varies within a 6 or 7db range. One day it was between 13db and 6db over 24 hours and the speed consistently good.Then it starts varying between 10db and 4db and still good speeds above 256Kbps. Then sometimes it takes the range of 6db to 0 db with frequently dropping below 3, when speed drops below 256Kbps and the net starts crawling till the noise margin picks up to 4db.

As regards routing, I have seen three so far with no definite pattern..One gets out of VSNL gateway.Sometimes it gets out through Bharti televenture directly from the immediate NIB gateway.Sometime from the immediate NIB gateway it travels to BSNL gateway at Chennai and then on to Bharti.
These network changes do seem to have an effect on the speed the best being when Bharti or Reliance do not come into picture.

The more deeper I go in the more my hair loss:)

Last edited:

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters

I always stick to the Java based speed test @ *myspeed.visualware.com/speedtest/speedtestjs.html

It facilitates immediate emailing to anyone you may wish to.The server it connects to is in Virginia,USA.

Since speedtest.net seems to be more popular here, I tried the same with a similarly placed server in USA.

There is a wide variation between the results of the two. Just to cite an example the javabased visualware indicated a download speed of 563Kbps.The flashbased speed test.net indicated a download speed of 2184Kbps.(Both conducted within a short interval twice with the noise margin stable at 7db)

So where are we in simply dishing out these test resuts?:D

praka123

left this forum longback

^yes i too tries java walla speed test.i dont like the flash based speed test esp in speedtest.net :p

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl

3 Days now and no one showed up for Line testing. Service from BSNL is utter crap. 1st I have towait like 5 months to get it and now this. Suxxxxxxxxxxx

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid

I am not able to open mail.yahoo.com since morning. Are other BSNL users able to open yahoomail ??? Please help...

Rockstar11

Technomancer

~Phenom~ said:
I am not able to open mail.yahoo.com since morning. Are other BSNL users able to open yahoomail ??? Please help...

yep working. :)

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters

Cyrus_the_virus said:
You still got stale routing issues @ponmayilal?

yep @ cyrus, today I could confirm that there is indeed "dead routing" as you had mentioned when the noise margin dropped below 3db.
Starting at 7db when I started at 0715 hrs this morning, it dropped to 3 by 1300hrs and the net started crawling.I could not carry out the speed test. Though it would open the site,it was downloading the test.bin file (that runs the test) at an abysmally low rate.I opened the DU meter stopwatch and ascertained the download rate as 1.1 kBps that is 8kbps.I have screenshots of the the route traced before and after. Though the route traced is the same, there are packet losses all along starting at the immediate gateway.Here is part of the image
View attachment 1367
I switched off the modem 1645 hrs and on again after 30 minutes. I am back on the net at a noise margin of 7db.More later.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

Ponmayilal said:
yep @ cyrus, today I could confirm that there is indeed "dead routing" as you had mentioned when the noise margin dropped below 3db.
Starting at 7db when I started at 0715 hrs this morning, it dropped to 3 by 1300hrs and the net started crawling.I could not carry out the speed test. Though it would open the site,it was downloading the test.bin file (that runs the test) at an abysmally low rate.I opened the DU meter stopwatch and ascertained the download rate as 1.1 kBps that is 8kbps.I have screenshots of the the route traced before and after. Though the route traced is the same, there are packet losses all along starting at the immediate gateway.Here is part of the image
I switched off the modem 1645 hrs and on again after 30 minutes. I am back on the net at a noise margin of 7db.More later.

Please refer to my post here

There's no point waiting and watching anymore, make sure you ask your exchange to do what's mentioned in that post.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters

ya, referring to your post there were some specific questions.
1. Whether it is possible to adjust the line's noise margin in the exchange??

Theoretically we all know that by increasing the signal strength, the noise margin or SNR can be increased.

Practically speaking, whether it is possible to tune the line's SNR in the exchange either in the DSLAM or associated equipment?

2. If it were so , should not have BSNL tuned the SNR of each line when the ADSL connection is given?

Look at din's case. If it were so simple, why should the AGM or DGM visit him and try out a different "new" line, different modem and toil for hours together, that finally fetched no result?

praka123

left this forum longback

^ if they cant solve current customers,why are they giving aDSL broadband on remote exchanges afaik they are setting up broadband service in remote villages in kerala!I feel bsnl will be down by the amount of complaints they are gonna get!
yeah,they have already completed OFC in most places here i think except idukki or malabar.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

Ponmayilal said:
Look at din's case. If it were so simple, why should the AGM or DGM visit him and try out a different "new" line, different modem and toil for hours together, that finally fetched no result?
It's different in his case.

In your case, when the SNR drops, you get no routing because of the simple fact that all data packets on the line will be dropped due to the distrubance on the line because of such low SNR values, but your connection never lost synch from what you've mentioned.

In din's case, his sych drops out constantly which might or might not be due to SNR issue, it's not confirmed. Intermittent loss of synch can happen due to many other factors other than SNR.

I'll give you an example, there was this one client of ours, who's connection just stops working from around 5pm till the next morning, we did all the possible things, no one could figure out wtf the problem was, finally we found out that the customer's phone line was running close to his christmas tree, and everyday he turns on the light on the tree at 5pm and switches it off in the morning, that was the bloody culprit. I'm sure from what din has done, there's no christmas tree *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/10.gif or any other electrical running in his house close to the phone line. I suspect some interference everyday at a specific time either somewhere close to his line in between his house and the exchange or in the exchange itself. That's going to be a mystery to find out. I suspect 100% that it's man made interference because it cannot be a co-incidence for loss of synch everyday at pretty much the same time.

Ponmayilal said:
1. Whether it is possible to adjust the line's noise margin in the exchange??

Theoretically we all know that by increasing the signal strength, the noise margin or SNR can be increased.

Practically speaking, whether it is possible to tune the line's SNR in the exchange either in the DSLAM or associated equipment?
The change is made on the console of the system, not one equipment, because couple of equipment make up the system. As I might have mentioned before, I'm not sure if the implementation of MAX in India is going to be the same way as what I've seen internationally. Normally like in the UK, BT's got things like BRAS, RAMBO, DSLAM etc which make up the system and it's controled via a console. All the equipment work hand in hand to monitor, regulate, re-synchronise and stabilize the line. So, it's not just one equipment.

Ponmayilal said:
2. If it were so , should not have BSNL tuned the SNR of each line when the ADSL connection is given?
They should have.. if they knew what it is and how it affects the line*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/10.gif

Tuning the SNR is what a stabilization period is meant for.

din

Tribal Boy

@Ponmayilal

Regarding my case, still neither me nor the BSNL officials know what exactly the problem was !!!!

Anyway I think it is not because of any single reason, may be multiple things. Like they changed modem first but then it was near UPS. I kept modem away from UPS thinking there may be electrical interference, then there was internal wiring. Like that we tried everything one by one I / BSNL officials can think of. Finally totally new UG cable, totally new modem, new pair of cables etc solved it. I mean , I belive it is solved as BB is up for the last 54 hrs (which is a record and never happened for me before when I was using the black modem lol). I really hope it is all ok now !

Regarding BSNL, I really understand your frustation. I am not sure whether you know my story (most senior members here know that). I had a very big fight with BSNL officials regarding the delay in getting telephone connection. I complained from exchange level to Union Cabinet minister level (yes he also replied me !). Used Right to Information act, launched a website explaining my experiences with BSNL officials, sent a lot of complaints in registered post to many top officials, made hundreds of phone calls, sent a lot of emails. But that is all over now and I got BB finally. So I think I will tell you something from my experience. Do not call or send email / letter to officials much. That is of not much use. Instead go there and meet the officials. I know it is not easy especially if you are a student or a working person. But we have to find time, like saturday or any day evening, like that. And if one official is helpless, go and meet the next higher official. Not easy but very effective.

Also, the DGM in my area, hes young and he always help people, hes good technically too. I am the first one in my state (Kerala) to use the BSNL datacard (as per BSNL info). That is just because the DGM was equally interested in the working of the card. We installed it and tested it together and became more friendly. Thats is why I call him whenever I find things difficult. He always take action very fast. If he tell like - I will check it - I am sure action will be taken within hrs. I was just giving you an example, that there are nice officials also in BSNL.

Another thing about BSNL is, the lack of technical knowldge at lower level. Can't blame them coz not much training has been given to them. Also, they may be experts in the telephone things, but the computer, broadband etc are new to them and you know most old people will not change very fast. For younsters, they take it as a challenge and try to learn fast and help others.

My advice is go to the BSNL office, meet the SDE / JE / DGM or any higher official. Explain your case in detail. If they are not taking action, go again and finally you will sure make it.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

din said:
@Ponmayilal

Regarding my case, still neither me nor the BSNL officials know what exactly the problem was !!!!

Anyway I think it is not because of any single reason, may be multiple things. Like they changed modem first but then it was near UPS. I kept modem away from UPS thinking there may be electrical interference, then there was internal wiring. Like that we tried everything one by one I / BSNL officials can think of. Finally totally new UG cable, totally new modem, new pair of cables etc solved it. I mean , I belive it is solved as BB is up for the last 54 hrs (which is a record and never happened for me before when I was using the black modem lol). I really hope it is all ok now !

Regarding BSNL, I really understand your frustation. I am not sure whether you know my story (most senior members here know that). I had a very big fight with BSNL officials regarding the delay in getting telephone connection. I complained from exchange level to Union Cabinet minister level (yes he also replied me !). Used Right to Information act, launched a website explaining my experiences with BSNL officials, sent a lot of complaints in registered post to many top officials, made hundreds of phone calls, sent a lot of emails. But that is all over now and I got BB finally. So I think I will tell you something from my experience. Do not call or send email / letter to officials much. That is of not much use. Instead go there and meet the officials. I know it is not easy especially if you are a student or a working person. But we have to find time, like saturday or any day evening, like that. And if one official is helpless, go and meet the next higher official. Not easy but very effective.

Also, the DGM in my area, hes young and he always help people, hes good technically too. I am the first one in my state (Kerala) to use the BSNL datacard (as per BSNL info). That is just because the DGM was equally interested in the working of the card. We installed it and tested it together and became more friendly. Thats is why I call him whenever I find things difficult. He always take action very fast. If he tell like - I will check it - I am sure action will be taken within hrs. I was just giving you an example, that there are nice officials also in BSNL.

Another thing about BSNL is, the lack of technical knowldge at lower level. Can't blame them coz not much training has been given to them. Also, they may be experts in the telephone things, but the computer, broadband etc are new to them and you know most old people will not change very fast. For younsters, they take it as a challenge and try to learn fast and help others.

My advice is go to the BSNL office, meet the SDE / JE / DGM or any higher official. Explain your case in detail. If they are not taking action, go again and finally you will sure make it.

Good luck, please keep us posted.
when you will leave your habit of typing soooooo long post??*farm3.static.flickr.com/2227/2122606045_29dfcc7eaf_o.png
*farm3.static.flickr.com/2180/2122604477_1f3f245df7_o.png

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters

@din thanks for your really long post and taking your time for that :) .
By the time I entered this thread you were in the process of winding up your site. So I knew it only sketchily but that you had a long tiff.
I shall see how to deal with BSNL. IMO, meeting any BSNL official is not gonna help. They can and will only make me run around in circles and sing ringaa.. ringaa.... roses along with them:). BSNL here is an ocean. Cochin may be different.
BTW, what is your local SNR now? Is it stable or keeps varying over a long period?

din

Tribal Boy

@Ponmayilal

My SNR is nearly the same. But net seems stable now. This is day 3 after the modem change and there were no downtime and it is a record in my case !! So as I mentioned before, I really hope it is ok now.

janitha

Wise Old Owl

@gary4gar
:eek: when you will leave your habit of quoting soooooo long post??

Jokes apart, I agree with Din. There are very helpful and efficient staff in BSNL also. When I took my BB about 2.5 years back, everything was quick. On the second day after applying and remitting the amounts the young and knowledgeable SDO came with equipments and everything was alright within half an hour. He suggested changing my OS from 98 to XP and I bought and installed it without delay. Since then there has been no major problem, other than once or twice when there was some issue in the exchange which was also resolved within 2-3 hours. Recently there are slow speeds occasionally, may be due all schools being provided with BB.

Also you may find it very difficult when you have to deal with the old staff of BSNL who know only about the telephone!

BTW I also have OFC upto 2 metres away from my PC.

Top Bottom