Nokia versus Sony Ericsson

which is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Tech$oft said:
But sony ericcson doesnt' have symbian support and nokia has symbian support and we can install many softwares and in sony mostly no softwares we can install, nokia rocks and sony sucks
+1. Completely agree with you.

Cool G5 said:
^Right.
Also SE can't beat the signal reception offered by nokia.
This is a myth.

Pathik

Google Bot
a_k_s_h_a_y said:
for music its always SE .. nokia sucks at music
check out any website .. including mobile review

SE w910i is the only phone that Nokia Express beats
and Nokia express comes no close to Other Walkman

Walkman gives competition to apple ipod not Nokia Express
starting w800 equals Ipod .. Read any review.. and its only getting better with newer walkman phones

about reception .. don't be fooled SE is too good at it ..! if you did not know !
its only boring symbian that lacks

symbain is for uncles not for youngsters who want music and camera .. ! also there are lots of java games and apps .. incase you thought its not available

more over now its soo easy to customize SE Phones with Tools like XS++
The newer XM fones pawn Walkman 2.0
Reception is good in both.
krazyfrog. said:
Forget NOOB of the Week, that comment is worthy of NOOB of the Millenium.
+ infinity :D

thekewlestone

Right off the assembly line
Sony Ericsson Rules!!!
Nokia is better in the low end segment. Nokia's low end phones 3310/3315, etc are much better than SE's Low end phones. But in terms of Medium and high end segment SE Rules. Nokia is crippled by a number of problems.

1) Very Very poor Camera quality.
2) Sound has only loudness lacks quality.
3) Damn slow!!!
4) Unlimited viruses.

An advise for Nokia: Stick to making phones that u r gud at........low end 3310's. High end segment isnt for Nokia!!!!!

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
thekewlestone said:
Sony Ericsson Rules!!!
Nokia is better in the low end segment. Nokia's low end phones 3310/3315, etc are much better than SE's Low end phones. But in terms of Medium and high end segment SE Rules. Nokia is crippled by a number of problems.

1) Very Very poor Camera quality.
2) Sound has only loudness lacks quality.
3) Damn slow!!!
4) Unlimited viruses.

An advise for Nokia: Stick to making phones that u r gud at........low end 3310's. High end segment isnt for Nokia!!!!!

1)Camera phones like N73,N82,N95 beats se phones camera.
2)XM series phones like 5700,5310,5610 have quality which W series lacks.
3)Try the new phones they are fast.
4)If you buy original softwares & accept BT connection from trusted source then their is no possiblities of viruses.

Regarding SE:
1)Very bad joystick & build quality.
2)SE lacks powerful OS like symbain.
3)Bad battery life considering presence of no symbain OS.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Cool G5 said:
1)Camera phones like N73,N82,N95 beats se phones camera.
2)XM series phones like 5700,5310,5610 have quality which W series lacks.
3)Try the new phones they are fast.
4)If you buy original softwares & accept BT connection from trusted source then their is no possiblities of viruses.

1) Regarding CAM quality, K790 much better than N73 (N73 sucks totally here) but N95/N82 is better than K850... though N95 produces over-saturated colors...

2) XM series are better than average other Nokias, yet it lags in music quality of SE W850.. try playing HQ VBR mp3s (HQ in Fr encoder Settings)... compare the music on Sennheiser HD and u will see how much the XM series lag !!! (comparison w/o sfx)

3) yeah faster than old ones :D .. still the suckin slow symbian is slower than non-smartphone interface of SE (unless pumped up by the faster hardware of the likes of N95/N82).

Cool G5 said:
Regarding SE:
1)Very bad joystick & build quality.
2)SE lacks powerful OS like symbain.
3)Bad battery life considering presence of no symbain OS.

1) Agreed on joystick but build quality is great on average though inferior to some Nokias.

2) I HATE symbian. sucking slow for my taste..... wud hv got an N95 if not for Symbian...

3) complete NOOBish perception.... it was bad in older generation of SEs, but after the W810 gen, they simply are good if not great !!!

Last edited:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
pathiks said:
The newer XM fones pawn Walkman 2.0
Reception is good in both.

+ infinity :D
i remember someone telling you that XM pawn SE walkman being said in mobile review

if you read it clearly .. ( something that you must do ) you will see that XM pwns Walkman 3.0 in W910i Only !! and does not beat Walkman 2.0 and Walkman in other SE phones !!

that point comes in discussion of new SE platform .. about w910i ! in Mobile Review site
and what mobile review guys says is not all .. that's his view ..
why not check out other review sites also .... XM fails to get close to Walkman !

my phone's got everything . music, camera , sms , internet

its got >>

Walkman music player
superb camera

Internet >> Opera Mini with mouse !! or use default browser !

video player
basic picture editor
basic music composer
basic video edior
sound recorder
blue tooth remote control
java games support .. and you get 1000s of them

alarams feature .. very cool with 5 alarams
applications for yahoo msgr gtalk opera mini are available
superb calandar to mangage stuff
tasks to manage tasks
notes
sync with internet server
timer
stopwatch
calculator
code memo to store passwords

this is more then enough i don't need 1000s of apps .. as i don't have time to paly with them all day !
me and my friends atleast never needed anything more then this

moreover it competes any standalone music player and gives tough competetion to ipod in music quality !! yeah it sucks in space 2 Gb only
about battery being bad think again
my k550i lasts for 5 days with normal usage .. with 3-4 calls 20 SMS and 2 hrs of music everyday !

or may be nokia is now going to make XM really cool ... so then its time to buy a XM !
not now ... !! till then SE Walkman !!
you should never go without testing for yourself .. ! or may be listen to some one who has tested !
yeah if i remember all new XM are non Symbian phones so shall we call them non nokia phones ;)

Last edited:

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
@akshay: plz post any source whr u read abt walkman 3.0 being pawn but not walkman 2.0 ....m also curious to know abt it...its imp for me as i hv 2 decide betn 2 soon

ps: i found one review here on w880 vs 5300 XM
*www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/7653.html

Enjoy~!

Last edited:

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
we have a lot in terms of compitition now...just by sayin se trashes nok we cant make a point....latest reviews lead to different conclusions

Enjoy~!

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
see w910i review
also xm5310 review .. says its a good descent enough phone everywhere ! and beats walkman in one for two genres of music
its xm5310 that competes walkman not old XM .. old XM completely suck .. stay away !

faraaz

Evil Genius
a_k_s_h_a_y said:
its got >>

Walkman music player
superb camera

Internet >> Opera Mini with mouse !! or use default browser !

video player
basic picture editor
basic music composer
basic video edior
sound recorder
blue tooth remote control
java games support .. and you get 1000s of them

alarams feature .. very cool with 5 alarams
applications for yahoo msgr gtalk opera mini are available
superb calandar to mangage stuff
tasks to manage tasks
notes
sync with internet server
timer
stopwatch
calculator
code memo to store passwords

this is more then enough i don't need 1000s of apps .. as i don't have time to paly with them all day !

moreover it competes any standalone music player and gives tough competetion to ipod in music quality !! yeah it sucks in space 2 Gb only
about battery being bad think again
my k550i lasts for 5 days with normal usage .. with 3-4 calls 20 SMS and 2 hrs of music everyday !

But you see...therein lies the problem. Sony Ericsson still camera may be good, but it still takes archaic QVGA format videos on their flagship, the W960! Don't get me started on the K850 which just sucks donkey balls. If I wanted a still camera, I'd go buy a Canon or something...the reason people look for multifunctional devices is above average performance for multiple functions in 1 single device...Q.E.D Convergence.

For your second point which I have bolded, where you don't need more apps than that...well, kudos for you! But I use on a daily basis on my N80:

Qreader (e-book reader for .pdb, .txt. htm and .doc files)
Adobe reader (.pdf files)
Opera (free version for mobiles) for WLAN access etc

Now here's the kicker...these things are available on the Sony phones too, through Java MIDP based apps, but they are usually very basic in functionality because of their basis on Java, which is inherently slower than apps which are coded natively for a particular platform. And HERE is why you are a noob...allow me to bold the text for your benefit...

Just because you don't use doesn't mean others dont too! The fact that you feel yourself qualified enough to comment on the advantages or disadvantages of a particular company's mobile phones when you are woefully unaware of the brand you yourself are trying to champion is just the tip of the nooby iceberg of noobiness that is you!

k thx bai! :cool:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
dude for and my my friends this is more then enough .. ! i never said you don't need it .. did i ??

and what do you mean unaware ?? i know SE very well dude .. !! don't be ignorant !! see my SE hacking threads and my deep knowledge on SE stuff and my SE threads !!

and here we are talking of good music and good camera in a PHONE
so don't bring your camera here !!
and if my phone can't take vidoes !! this i knew it before i got my phone .. i thought about it before buying !! so no need to remind me .. coz i was never interested in making videos !

Yes SE Sucks in Video .. i hate it !! for that !! i also hate SE marketing !
Even M2 sucks its soo costly !!

Symbain is not at all for me in a phone .. you need it does not mean everyone needs it !!

i wanted good music , slim , good camera in my budget !
SE k550 met my needs.. so i got it !!

@Others
people who have problems if WALKMAN Pwns XM .. Get a life !

I would have got an XM in that case !! but i have a Walkman .. because it wins !
i am not a fool to buy SE if XM was better then Walkman ! Let XM get better .. that should be my next phone !! !!

Last edited:

faraaz

Evil Genius
a_k_s_h_a_y said:
and here we are talking of good music and good camera in a PHONE
so don't bring your camera here !!

Irrelevant...the discussion here is for phones with smartphone capabilities, which you yourself started by fanboy-ing about how awesome SE music is. Therefore, it is VERY important what the phone can do apart from just make calls. Don't noob yourself out mate...

a_k_s_h_a_y said:
people who have problems if WALKMAN Pwns XM .. Get a life !
I would have got an XM in that case !! but i have a Walkman .. because it wins !
i am not a fool to buy it if XM was better then Walkman ! Prove XM is better .. that should be my next phone !! am not a fan boy !!

I never mentioned XM in my post...nor did I call you a fan boy...don't do my work for me dude!

a_k_s_h_a_y said:
Symbain[sic] is not at all for me in a phone .. you need it does not mean everyone needs it !!

True...and since now that you have said this,I hope you realise the transferable inaccuracy of your statements and why you can never say one is better than the other.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
^^ yes you can never say one is better then other over all
but do u accept that Walkman beats XM or not ??

hey that XM thing was @ all other peole not you !!

and i am here to battle out that SE Beats NOKiA in Music department
rest i don't care let SE lose .. coz i never needed those features !

i got my phone coz i wanted a mid end solution with good music !

so here speedguy is interested in music so that's all

what i said eariler is

tell me where do you see everyone ?? i clearly say I don't need 1000s of apps !
by my friends i meant my friends at my college

Peace !!

i know you love your phone as much as i do mine !! it servers your needs well so does my phone

Last edited:

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
While it is true, that we don't actually need much appz for our day-to-day needs, Smartphones provide a greater degree of customization... As I mentioned earlier that I do not like Symbian OS and while in India, I wud always prefer SE (and I did) over Nokia Symbian based phones. I personally like Smarphones (w/o Symbian) with Windows Mobile (till now no other competitors here) because of the extreme flexibility it provides.. I have flashed my Tilt (HTC Kaiser or TyTn II variant) running Win Mo 6 Professional about a hundred times with varying WinMo variants and multitude of appz, it feels good when your device has an unlimited potential of customization and u can change the feel of the entire phone as and when u like it !!! :)

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
in case if we talk abt symbian wat actually u get wit it...if u really need in day-to-day life.....tel me very frankly how comfortable u r while reading ur pdf files on phone's small screen.....and opera for browsing....wat basically i need for browsing on phone is given in se phones browser...cant ask for a broadband experince wit opera or ie6 in a small mobile phone....

now this is wat ppl mostly take a phone for....

1> camera - so we need a file manager to browse pictures n a good quality camera...
now abt video...which fool says nokia gets a ntsc or pal type vdo rec...it may b litle better than se but can u really take videos n watch it on tv....
logically whoever wants a nice vdo recorder wont look in mobile phones coz they suck big time....basically they can b properly viewed in phones nly n for that....thrs no diff betn se n nokia

2>music player - huge controversy already goin abt xm n walkman so wont create another....even m confused now :)

3>calling features-well cant comment abt one....as both have thr own advantageous features fr calling

4>sms- now here again...u can customise ur own way of mesaging so ppl can hv diff opinions....

5>network strength- thrs a rumour that se hv poor reception but tk it frm me...wit personel exprnce....u can judge on it....at times i c nok not getting signal n at times se....so cant select any one

6> battery life- here again.....most symbian phones hv poor bat lifes as recored by numbr of complains...this is also my personel exp....nok hv bat life in thier basic phones but they r not satisfactory in higher end phones becoz of symbian n all....se has good bat life....much to surprise of many but just coz it does not hv so much os job to do...lol

7>durability - i wud giv this 2 nokia...thier finishing material used is costlier n higher quality than any other phone....but again higher ends cant be so tuff wit camera n all stuffs.....n ya...u shd certainly wont make a cricket ball of ur cell if u buy one...

8>resale- its very common....nokias hv highes market share n hv highest resale value....

so my point is...for d first 4 points....say picture browsing or smsing, thrs no doubt that symbian loaded phones r too loaded to run these fast enough...compare wit se they r really swift(now plz dunt say tats false) n ofcourse viruses not 2 mention...tsa nightmare 2 turn ur bluetooth or use data cables or surf net if u dunt regularly update ur antivirus database....plus if things go wrong ur softies stop 2 respond properly making ur cell almost unsuable.....then long trips to dealers or tons of ur own work...nearly makes life miserable

for everything else...as i sed for pdf n opera....i wud rather use my laptop n take all pain for opening n holding it than being gettin frustated in tryin 2 make a slow poor calling device a PDA

Enjoy~!

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
sorry..i dont agree on the durability part...se uses higher quality materials for its products..
the n95 has such pathetic build quality..tht peaple who rough use find it hard to evn comply with the set fr more than a year..while the k800 and others are more durable and have a solid feel to it..

dude i have the k850 and it kicks n95 big time..i have tried both the phones and k850 wins hands down..neun with an n95 care for a photo shootout?? :D

Last edited:

faraaz

Evil Genius
Dont know about Sony Ericsson...but my N80 has been dropping in water 3 times, fell out of my pocket and down 1 flight of stairs, slipped out of my hands and fell from a height of 5 feet etc etc...works as good as brand new...to be honest?? I dont know what more to expect from a phone which is supposed to be a bit delicate in the first place...and nothing any other company can give me will be more impressive.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
speedyguy said:
in case if we talk abt symbian wat actually u get wit it...if u really need in day-to-day life.....tel me very frankly how comfortable u r while reading ur pdf files on phone's small screen.....and opera for browsing....wat basically i need for browsing on phone is given in se phones browser...cant ask for a broadband experince wit opera or ie6 in a small mobile phone....

now this is wat ppl mostly take a phone for....

1> camera - so we need a file manager to browse pictures n a good quality camera...
now abt video...which fool says nokia gets a ntsc or pal type vdo rec...it may b litle better than se but can u really take videos n watch it on tv....
logically whoever wants a nice vdo recorder wont look in mobile phones coz they suck big time....basically they can b properly viewed in phones nly n for that....thrs no diff betn se n nokia

2>music player - huge controversy already goin abt xm n walkman so wont create another....even m confused now :)

3>calling features-well cant comment abt one....as both have thr own advantageous features fr calling

4>sms- now here again...u can customise ur own way of mesaging so ppl can hv diff opinions....

5>network strength- thrs a rumour that se hv poor reception but tk it frm me...wit personel exprnce....u can judge on it....at times i c nok not getting signal n at times se....so cant select any one

6> battery life- here again.....most symbian phones hv poor bat lifes as recored by numbr of complains...this is also my personel exp....nok hv bat life in thier basic phones but they r not satisfactory in higher end phones becoz of symbian n all....se has good bat life....much to surprise of many but just coz it does not hv so much os job to do...lol

7>durability - i wud giv this 2 nokia...thier finishing material used is costlier n higher quality than any other phone....but again higher ends cant be so tuff wit camera n all stuffs.....n ya...u shd certainly wont make a cricket ball of ur cell if u buy one...

8>resale- its very common....nokias hv highes market share n hv highest resale value....

so my point is...for d first 4 points....say picture browsing or smsing, thrs no doubt that symbian loaded phones r too loaded to run these fast enough...compare wit se they r really swift(now plz dunt say tats false) n ofcourse viruses not 2 mention...tsa nightmare 2 turn ur bluetooth or use data cables or surf net if u dunt regularly update ur antivirus database....plus if things go wrong ur softies stop 2 respond properly making ur cell almost unsuable.....then long trips to dealers or tons of ur own work...nearly makes life miserable

for everything else...as i sed for pdf n opera....i wud rather use my laptop n take all pain for opening n holding it than being gettin frustated in tryin 2 make a slow poor calling device a PDA

Enjoy~!
1. One can very well watch those videos on tv. All one needs is Nokia's tv out cable (which they bundle along with some high end phones like N95, N93, N82, 6500 Slide, etc.). The videos recorded by these phones is of very high quality. The first 3 phones i mentioned above can record videos in VGA resolution at 30 fps, which is as good as DVD-Video quality. Compared to that SE currently offers max QVGA resolution at 30 fps in K850i.

2. Walkmans have remained same over the years. Xpress Music phones have evolved and have now gone ahead. This is the fact and learn to live with it.

6. Symbian phones don't have poor battery life. Till date i only remember N95 being criticized for poor battery life. The reason why it has poor battery life because it had too many battery using features and the battery capacity was too small. Thats it. One phone does not make a phenomenon.

About viruses, first one should learn to be a responsible user, then complain about viruses. I had an N-Gage QD for 27 months. It was based on the old S60 which has a zillion viruses written for it, much more then there are for the current S60 v3. Still my phone never got any virus, despite having no anti-virus. And even i used bluetooth, gprs and installed stuff from net. But i used the correct part of my body to do the thinking.

About screen being small, it has to be to make the device portable. I can carry a smartphone almost every where, whereas that can't be done with a laptop, e.g. toilet. Imagine sitting on a toilet seat with a laptop on your lap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom