Nokia versus Sony Ericsson

which is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
shudnt hv much probs wit n series but urs does lack in case of size...ts like a brick...n not handy...

n its not like they hv more problems...ts like they hv more buyers...but iv alwez prefd se coz i focus more on cam n sound quality n ofcourse price value....for an os like symbian...i hv a tablet notebook... :)

Enjoy~!

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Sony ericsson phone are better designed and feature rich. If you compare nokia with SE, for the same features one has to shell out additional money for nokia phones. I have not used nokia, but from the experience of my friends, it is clear that there is no truth in saying that its quality is good. Many of my friends have purchased new handsets after about a year's use due to malfunctions. Surprisingly, many of them went for other brands like SE,motorola etc. Take for instance K750i, its lens is covered very nicely and the photos taken by it are really good. Moreover the sound quality is superb. I vote for SE. SE ZINDABAD!!!

VexByte

Norms Buster
In India, SE is in the 3rd position(sales-wise) even behind the Motorola !

The most important reason for that is that SE is still having fewer phones below Rs.5000 price range compared to Moto/Nokia.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
For me it would have to be Nokia all the way.SE has a very bad history with it's analog stick layout.It's the worst feature of all SE phones which posses an analog stick.They are extremely stiff & very sensitive.Moreover the OS is a bit tacky.Not as user friendly as Nokia is.The sound quality too is strictly ok both for Walkman & Non-Walky series.

sandeepk

Journeyman
@VexByte yes you are right. That may be one of the reasons why they are behind motorola.
I vote for nokia for user friendlyness. Sony Ericsson does lack that feature.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
sandeepk said:
I vote for nokia for user friendlyness. Sony Ericsson does lack that feature.

what the .... !!!!!! SE is more (or should I say on par ???) user friendly and comfortable to use than nokia... for e.g. just tried much talked about 3110c ... this piece of trash doesn't even have a file manager... my friend having a hard time to arrange his files on his microSD card... w/o the usb data transter cable the phone is extremely difficult to oragnaize... and pathetic 1.3 MP photo quality... :x

He28

Still learning...
Wait guys...

All this crap is stated by some, drgrudge and he or she seems to be some Nokia agent/employee.

There is no point in discussing which one is the best. Nokia, once upon a time was the best cell phone. These days the built, battery and software is real pathetic. Nokia is getting worst day by day. I bought Nokia 3230 and within 6 months of it's purchase the silver color started chipping off and Bluetooth started giving problems. Also, it's joystick is about to break. I asked for help in -- *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63852. Imagine my state of mind after spending 16000/- on the 'High End' phone with such issues.

Let me know if Sony's w810i a good choice...??

Most of my friends are using Sony Ericsson with no problems. So bottomline is:

Sony Ericsson Rules.
Sony Ericsson Is The Best!!

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

rockthegod said:
this piece of trash doesn't even have a file manager... my friend having a hard time to arrange his files on his microSD card... w/o the usb data transter cable the phone is extremely difficult to oragnaize... and pathetic 1.3 MP photo quality... :x
There is something called Gallery in Nokia S40 phones which works similar to the File Manager in SE phones. One doesn't need to be an Einstein to figure out how it works. Even a mentally retarded person can figure it out. And the camera is same (quality wise) as the one in Z550i. Which means even your beloved SE doesn't believe in giving good cameras in phones of this class as it is not required.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
krazyfrog said:
There is something called Gallery in Nokia S40 phones which works similar to the File Manager in SE phones. One doesn't need to be an Einstein to figure out how it works. Even a mentally retarded person can figure it out. And the camera is same (quality wise) as the one in Z550i. Which means even your beloved SE doesn't believe in giving good cameras in phones of this class as it is not required.

Ok lemme know how u can create a subfolder within the MEMORY CARD folder in gallery and organize all the disarranged types of files in there .. like i wanna create a subfolder "Photos" and wanna let all the photos automatically save within that subfolder in the mem card folder OR I wanna move specific items to specific subfolders within the Memory Card (3110c strictly... ) All these without the intervention of a PC and any 3rd party utils... lemme see the boomin einstein in ya !!!! duh....... :x

And what about 3Gp videos.. whenver they are encoded (in lowest bitrate and supported resolutions).. and placed in the phones.. OMG.. the phone reboots... wow !!!!!!!!!!! :x 3110 SUKS BIG TIME !!! Wastage of 7000 buks !!!

Ok.. I am posting the original pic taken by 3110c... in complete daytime.... dude whaddya cam quality :D :D

*img525.imageshack.us/img525/639/image004wi1.th.jpg

I admit that I hv never used SE Z series of phones.. only W and K series... the cam in both of them is excellent !!! [:)]

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

1. To create a new folder or sub-folder, press Options>Add folder.
2. To move a file to a folder, press Options>Move. If you're moving it to a folder within a folder, after selecting Move option, press Option>Open folder. Keep doing this till you reach the desired folder. When you reach the folder you need to move the file to, press Select.
3. No phone that i know allows one to directly save the captured images in a folder of ones choice. It first saves it in the default folder, and then one can move it to the desired folder. 3110c is no exception to this.
4. The quality of image captured from its camera is more than adequate for its class, most of which can only manage upto VGA. Infact 3110c is one of the few phones at that range to offer a megapixel camera. Actually the quality of image captured from my 2mpix W710i is hardly better than the image you posted, and it costs 10k now.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
krazyfrog said:
1. To create a new folder or sub-folder, press Options>Add folder.
2. To move a file to a folder, press Options>Move. If you're moving it to a folder within a folder, after selecting Move option, press Option>Open folder. Keep doing this till you reach the desired folder. When you reach the folder you need to move the file to, press Select.

Wow !!! it seems u havn't handled a 3110c..... !!!! dude.. first go and have a first hand experience with that trash and then tell these general steps which work flawlessly with SE phones. God, the more I work with Nokia's so called medium to high end phones.. I get more and more addicted to my SE.

Ok.. lemme make this all clear.... u can move any files UPTO the "Memory Card" folder (in the gallery) and can't access any kind of subfolders in it. U hafta use a separate card reader to do so or use the data cable. Any 3110c user here ???

krazyfrog said:
No phone that i know allows one to directly save the captured images in a folder of ones choice. It first saves it in the default folder, and then one can move it to the desired folder. 3110c is no exception to this

Oh.. dude... again it is established that u do not have a first hand experience with this phone. IT IS INDEED POSSIBLE to make 3110c save its snaps in the "memory card" folder rather than its default. I want to go to any specific subfolder within the "Memory card" folder and not save them randomly. :)

Again my W850i can be given the choice where to specifically save its photos , the phone memory or the mem stick pro duo. It automatically creates a default folder 100DSCIM and saves the pics there. :)

Duh.. a K600i Cam quality is far better than 3110c..... !!!! :)

K

krazyfrog

It took me a while to control my laughter and type this post. Your apparent lack of knowledge in handling S40 phones and overflowing fanboyism for SE has what has made you type the above post. I did clearly mention that to reach and paste within any folder within the Memory card you should first press Option>Open folder. If you directly press Select, then the file will be saved in the main folder of memory card. Instead selecting Open folder option, you have access to the inner folders. Selecting Open folder again will open the sub-folder (if there are any). Once you reach the last folder, open folder option will be unavailable and you'll have to save in that last folder. Go get that 3110 from your friend and follow the steps i've explained. You'll see that it works. I'll agree that the process is not as intuitive as in SE's file manager and i don't blame you for missing it (most people do). But it is by no means non-existing as you proclaimed. As for saving pictures in memory card or phone memory, of course its possible in every phone with memory card support. What i thought is that you're talking of saving the image in a particular folder within memory card or phone memory of your choice which is certainly not possible in any phone. The image will always be saved in the pre-allotted folder in the particular memory. Next time please understand others post before replying and make your own post more clear. Also i've spent ages working with Nokia phones (and recently SE phones) and have more experience with them than you can even imagine and obviously won't tolerate any doubts about my experiences with them.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
1) first of all u r rite that I dun hv ne prolonged experience with S40 phones... as far my first time hands-on experience goes, it has always been extremely pathetic with Nokia phones (except extremely low budget ones). Thus my initial point was re-established by yourself only "SE is more user friendly than nokia phones". :) I would rather stick to a phone with more intuitive and user friendly interface rather than the ones which require more than a years experience to get its features known :p

2) Second, I have never been any kind of fanboys of any specific company and i am only favouring SE here becuz the thread is of SE and Nokia :p.. I personally have an XDA O2, 2 moto s, and 3 SE s. My experience with Nokia has always been pathetic... so the phone and its manufacturer are to blame.... coz I never had any kind of unfavourable experiences with other good high end phones (I stress the word "above budget and entry levels"). They have always been as easy to operate as a breeze. I remember my first hands on experience with N73... the phone took nearly 3 minutes to boot up and was slow as hell and felt like a huge piece of brick... (then again some people may argue that was due to softwares like Antivirus installed.... phew... :p )

3) If I have hurt your sentiments and your experience than I am sorry . :) But at this point i cannot get to that 3110c as my friend has gone away, which i would love to get my hands on to experience your method of working with folders. But again if you are right then it will just strenthen my idea to stay away from Nokia all the more ... :)

4) Also u have understood me poorly... I NEVER said that I wanna create folder named "PICTURES" (for e.g.) within "Memory Card" and direct my phone to save snaps there.. what i meant was was like if the phone saves in a default location like "CAMERA" (for e.g.) within the Phone memory then I wanna direct it to save in default folder "CAMERA" but on the memory card. Refer to W850s working ... W850 can be instructed to save its snaps in an organised manned\r.. the default name of the default folder remains the same i.e. "100DSCIM" but it can be created in both MSPD as well as Phone Memory so that the snaps always gets saved in an organised manner within the DEFAULT folder :) Hope this time its more clear. :)

Pathik

Google Bot
4) In nokia fones the default path for image storage is c\nokia\images for the fone memory and e\images for the mem card memory... is that wat u were asking??

K

krazyfrog

Well one thing is certain, as far as file managers are concerned, S40 Gallery lacks way behind SE's file manager which as good as one found in smartphones. But the question was never about user friendliness. You said that one can't move files to sub-folder and it is a flaw, when one can certainly can do that, even if in an unintuitive manner, which i pointed out to you. So thats the end of that i guess. Actually the entire S40 lags a bit behind SE's phones os, and i'd prefer SE's os anyday over S40. But Nokia isn't all about S40 os. Actually nowadays its more popularly known for its S60 which has redefined smartphones. Earlier smartphones were slow, buggy and complicated devices usually associated with geeks and super rich. But nokia changed it by making then cheaper and more user friendly and thus making it accessible to more people. This is what differentiate Nokia from others. They truly brought smartphones to the masses.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
pathiks said:
4) In nokia fones the default path for image storage is c\nokia\images for the fone memory and e\images for the mem card memory... is that wat u were asking??

yes, thats what i was asking but in case of 3110c there was no such thing... either the phone saves in IMAGES folder in phone memory OR if it asked to save in Memory Card, it directly saves it in root.

@krazyfrog: S60 phones again need AV for safety thus resulting in degradation in speed !!!! and they are costlier !!!! And Nokia actually did brought Smartphones to the masses but again those are less preferable (I personally prefer Windows Mobile platform) ... All the N series phones (except N93i, N95 and some Music edition Phones) looks and feels extremely uncomfortable. And not evryone is in dire need of cheaper buggy smartphones prone to viruses (about which a decent percentage of "masses" are not even aware of)

Actualy had given a thought about buying N95 earlier but the fact is it won't work with At&T HSDPA .... so no faida buying it !!! So now hafta wait for SE W960 to actually embrace the symbian platform personally.

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

When i said masses, i didn't mean everyone needing a phone, but people who need a smartphone and all the features one offers but were unable to do so due to high price of earlier smartphones. One good example is Nokia 6600 which sold like hot cakes because it really had no competition when it was launched. Nokia now has many smartphones covering a large price range from 6k to 36k. There is a smartphone for everyone. No manufacturer can boast that now. Obviously its a matter of taste, but i myself find smartphones vastly superior to regular phones in nearly every aspect. They can be good looking, easy to use, affordable, have good features and can be fast too. About viruses and av, i always felt one has to be really dumb to get one on his phone. I used an N-Gage QD for more than two years and never got a single virus. If one is careful enough, one can avoid anti virus and anti virus. I'm sure pathiks would agree with me on this.
Btw why do you need HSDPA in india? We haven't even got WCDMA or UMTS yet. And N95 does support HSDPA.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
naah.. I live most of year in US... and is very much accustomed to 3G ... been using my 8525 for about 8 months now.... and to say the least feels a little left-alone without it. N95 is incompatible with 1900 UMTS/HSDPA that Cingular uses... only N75/N80 is compatible. :)

yeah.. for e.g. in Berhampur in West Bengal people are goin tra-la-la over nokia .. "evrybdy uses nokia so i will use nokia .. end of message". u can't find a single outlet from which u can buy any other alternatives... an even some ppl has this concept that "virus"=== biological virus.. weird !!! here.. sheild and protect ur phone or they will catch virus out in the open. u hafta hear them (the masses who doesn't even know what Symbian is yet craving for Nokia N series) to believe it !!! :x

Smartphones obviously offer more flexibility but for some reasons I believe that cheaper alternatives just doesn't cut it (other than gaining or maintaining competitive market shares in countries like India). Beauty + coolness factor + degree of flexibility of smartphones all shows off true colors in the flagship counterparts be it any company. Why would i carry a brick slow as hell even if it is a smartphone (unless i am in dire need and my pockets are hollow !!!)

Last edited:

qams

Terminator 202
I have Nokia.
But Sony Ericsson is better than Nokia.
Now! may be next version of iPhone will rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom