Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Children of heaven -8/10
An iranian film.It's one of most well directed films i've ever seen.Have a brilliant storyline too.A must watch.

yupp..watched it after it was nominated for oscars...heartwarming storyline...a tale of young brother and her sister and how do they share a pair of sneakers without letting their parents know about it... :)

Rahim

Married!
^Isnt it the same where the kid wants to lose a race to get his desired prize(shoes) but ended up finishing 1st?

red dragon

Master troll
^^Irreversible (reverse chrono and depressing stuff)

I m all for movies beyond Human Centipede, suggest some.
OK,you can start off with Titicut Follies,Necromantik etc.These are gruesome without much of a storyline.There are lots of movies which are not graphically violent but extremely disturbing.

Rahim

Married!
^and what about the indian audiences? WOuldnt it be a disaster to make such a brilliant movie for indian palate?

ajai5777

Youngling
watched 2 movies

The Island (2005) - 7.5
Disturbia (2007) - 7.5

How about 28 days later and 28 weeks later..?

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Guys, check out this FF extension,
*addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161775/

Install it and notice the difference on the IMDB page of any movie...

You will be surprised and HAPPY :-D

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

Well, someone checkout this movie and let me know what level of violence is there...

Matthew Hopkins: Witchfinder General (1968)

Maybe Paranj can try this...

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
^^ It was Deewangee.

And I think Aamir sucked being part of the dud called Ghajani.

personally speaking I also do not like Aamir...but he is brilliant as an actor and there is no doubt about that. and so was Ghajini...it wasn't a dud..it is 2nd highest grossing hindi movie of all times (source)...

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
To all those calling Aamir as a brilliant actor, please tell me since which film he is considered as a brilliant actor?

Now don't come with answers like always...because, then you have not seen much of his movies.

His better movies started with Sarfarosh (yes, Sarfarosh is a milestone for its screenplay and combined effort by all, Naseer, Mukesh Rishi all)

He is totally re-discovered in DCH...and since then his brilliant movies started..........

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
He the most versatile actor in Indian Cinema. Switching roles and adapting to it isn't an easy task. He has probably took up every project which involved a different character. While most of the actors are picked for a certain demographic audience, Aamir Khan is an actor who caters to everyone's taste.

He was brilliant in Andaz Apna Apna, Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar, Sarfarosh, Akele Hum Akele Tum, Dil Chahta Hai, Taare Zameen Par & 3 Idiots. I have seen most of his movies since Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar, barring Earth and Mangal Pandey. Not all of his movies may have massive commercial success, but his performance is appreciated in every movie. Ghajini may have been a sad movie, but he went through a lot of physical training to prepare for the role, results of which were evident.

An actor is not just judged on the basis of the overall success of his movies, but also for his individual contribution in it. Take Hrithik Roshan's performace in Mission Kashmir or John Abraham's role in Karam. Both of these actors have a great advantage of looks and physique, a criteria, which is worshipped by Indian cinema for some reason. Most of their movies are utterly rubbish and one would easily loose faith in their acting skills due to lousy scripts. But it's due certain roles that they perform, it really makes us think what they would be capable of, provided they get a proper role.

Aamir is consistent is his performance and that is something which is very rare in actors these days. The only other actors I appreciate in that respect would be Amitabh Bachchan & Sanjay Dutt. I would also appreciate Shahrukh Khan, provided he breaks free from Yashraj banner for sometime and focus on better film subjects. Aamir has always stood out of the rest for experimenting with his roles and he is good at it. This is just my opinion. I see talent in him, as I do in few others.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Aamir has always stood out of the rest for experimenting with his roles and he is good at it. This is just my opinion. I see talent in him, as I do in few others.

I beg to differ only at this point. Everyone is speaking that he is always this brilliant, but O would say he started this "I'm different" journey since last 10 years.

I believe this started with DCH.

Previous good movies are either had good stories or musical hit, his acting maturity lacked in them.
Then if you consider most of his movies of 90's time, they are just nothing but a way to earn money.

Previous to DCH he did different movies like every other actor does in his/her acting journey.

John: Water
Saif: Being Cyrus, Ek Haseena Thi (Sympathy for Lady Vengeance :razz: )
Shahrukh: Swadesh (not considering MNIK as he did a lot of overacting and mindless scenes to evoke sympathy for the protagonist)
Salman: Khamoshi

etc...

Another thing I 'm daring to say is he does different characters, agreed but making it live and real is not consistent of him.

I liked his Aakash character in DCH very much and DJ character of RDB... he portrayed them so well...
His later movies are different and pathbreaking but from acting side is a letdown. Specially 3 Idiots...he sucked big time than SRK in MNIK.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Previous good movies are either had good stories or musical hit, his acting maturity lacked in them.
Then if you consider most of his movies of 90's time, they are just nothing but a way to earn money.
The end goal of any movie is to earn money. Successful actors & actress are just baits to lure the audience in. What's wrong in earning money anyway? It's not like they have robbed us off it. I have never regretted spending money on any of Aamir Khan's films. Those that I haven't paid for, have been viewed cable or television airing. Except Mela, Raja Hindustani, Ghajini & Mann, I have enjoyed most of his flicks or at least found his performance note worthy.

Another thing I 'm daring to say is he does different characters, agreed but making it live and real is not consistent of him.
Depends on which role you're referring to?

I liked his Aakash character in DCH very much and DJ character of RDB... he portrayed them so well...
His later movies are different and pathbreaking but from acting side is a letdown. Specially 3 Idiots...he sucked big time than SRK in MNIK.
He was the only person in 3 Idiots apart from Boman Irani & Omi Vaidya's character who delivered a good performance. I, for one, enjoyed his role.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I beg to differ only at this point. Everyone is speaking that he is always this brilliant, but O would say he started this "I'm different" journey since last 10 years.

I believe this started with DCH.

I am sorry rhitwick, I am not getting your point! So what if he has started doing movies "differently" only 10 years ago...what matters is where is he now.
(and no, I am no fan of Aamir...my fav in hindi cinema are SRK and Hritik...as a matter of fact I hated Aamir for his statement saying he/whoever has a dog whose name is SRK...no one should pass such derogatory statement publicly for another human being, even as a joke)

Specially 3 Idiots...he sucked big time than SRK in MNIK.

Yaar I liked that movie...and so did all those who made it earn more than Rs. 202 Crore...which is no small deal... :)

Problem with SRK and good thing about Aamir is about substance roles...SRK did it only couple of times while Aamir tries to do it in all his present movies. SRK finds it hard to gather courage to do away with romantic movies which is sad...because he has power to move the audience as a non-hard core lover too as he did as Mohan Bhargava in Swades...

Last edited:

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
@rhitwick

among all actors in bollywood..Aamir is the best..He is Tom Hanks of India :) You are the first person I am hearing who is criticizing 3 Idiots and Aamir :D

Also we fellow digitians njoy offstream films more often (like A Clockwork Orange..my fav movie ) but still we cant ignore mainstream cinema whether its Three Idiots or Titanic !

Now coming back to this thread..Yesterday I saw

The Ghost Writer (2010) - 8/10

Amazing movie, brillant storyline , good cinematography and jhakass climax !
Must watch .........

PS: Just had a live video chat wid Aamir on fb yesterday :):)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Kay Kay Menon & Irfan Khan are extremely under-rated actors. The problem is that they don't land up in big banners productions and hence don't fall in the limelight. I haven't seen many films of Kay Kay Menon, but I loved his performance in Black Friday, which is my favourite Indian film till date. Naseeruddin Shah and Om Puri are amazing actors as well. I also have to mention Paresh Rawal & Kader Khan. Both of them call pull off comedy and villainous roles with sheer brilliance.

Top Bottom