Microsoft Ceases AutoPatcher Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Autopatcher can still exist, if they provide the packages in unaltered state...like the packaged IE 7 with WGA check, the way MS packaged & WGA check in Autopatcher. MS Should have given this option to autopatcher authors indeed....but stop crying when there is another way to update
lets make it clear.. and very clear! MS themseleves haf stated this withdrawl is NOT coz of WGA checks!!! read it again! so gx, talking about WGA is NOT at all relevant in this thread!!! and i really dunno what did autopatcher alter? i jus can't seem to understand that. i distributed the updates in the original form, they didn't alter any updates afaik!

din

Tribal Boy
Yes - From neowin ...

Updates which require WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) validation are included, and can be installed (since the WGA validation only takes place on the machine that downloads them, not the one that is installing them) which theoretically bypasses the validation check users would normally have to go through if updating through Windows Update. Antonis had asked when WGA became common if this would affect the AutoPatcher project and the concept of administrative updates and a Microsoft representative said "No", arguing that the purpose behind WGA was mostly educational. The WGA tool itself (the one offered by Windows Update as a critical update) is included in AutoPacher, though not marked for installation by default.

From MS itself ...

The flaw in the poster's logic is that he doesn't understand the purpose of WGA. WGA is first and foremost an educational tool. A lot (probably a majority) of people using an illegal copy of Windows don't know that they are doing so. WGA flags the copy as illegal and directs the user to upgrade, helping Microsoft recover sales they would have lost otherwise. WGA also creates an irritant that should prod a lot of casual pirates to eventually pay for a legitimate copy. WGA was never intended be a 100% solution. Therefore, redistribution of hotfixes doesn't constitute a "flaw."

Email they received from MS .. (sorry, bit long)

Demand for Immediate Take-Down: Notice of Infringing Activity

URL: *www.autopatcher.com/downloads/
CASE #: ******

29 August 2007

Dear Sir or Madam,

Microsoft has received information that the domain listed above, which appears to be on servers under your control, is offering unlicensed copies of, or is engaged in other unauthorized activities relating to copyrighted works published by Microsoft.

1. Identification of copyrighted works:

Copyrighted work(s):
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional x64
Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows 2000 Professional
Office Professional Edition 2003
Office Professional 2007
Office XP Professional

Copyright owner:
Microsoft Corporation

2. Copyright infringing material or activity found at the following
location(s): *www.autopatcher.com/downloads/

The above computer program(s) is being made available for copying, through downloading, at the above location without authorization of the copyright owner.

3. Statement of authority:

The information in this notice is accurate, and I hereby certify under penalty of perjury that I am authorized to act on behalf of Microsoft, the owner of the copyright(s) in the work(s) identified above. I have a good faith belief that none of the materials or activities listed above have been authorized by Microsoft, its agents, or the law.

We hereby give notice of these activities to you and request that you take expeditious action to remove or disable access to the material described above, and thereby prevent the illegal reproduction and distribution of this software via your company's network.

We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Please advise us regarding what actions you take.

Yours sincerely,

Internet Investigator

on behalf of Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
United States of America

and Neowin ...

So the only infringement of copyrighted work would be the free updates that Microsoft offer for download, the email makes it sound like copies of the above mentioned Microsoft products are freely available for download!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
shirish_nagar said:
Hey gx, how could I download the ISO on dial-up every month?

Yup, usually its 50 MB only for every month. Even Digit can distribute it.

The last time we argued, gx bhai raised a point about update via net on linux and that it leeches bandwidth, takes time etc. And now that MS is going the Linux way, I guess its alright for u? Too bad MS snatched another option from its users

You forgot to take into account how much it needs to download. In case of Linux its usually the main app + helper libraries + dependencies, in case of Windows Update its just one or 2 DLL.

Does that means MS will allow computer magazines to distribute the ISO mentioned ? Atleast to all genuine win users ?

Even betanews is re-distributing the ISO by hosting on there servers. The ISO is freely available from MS for system admins etc, or people like me & u. Digit can simply bundle this ISO without any alteration to the original Package. I see no problem in this :).

If MS is not giving / allowing the updates in CD / DVD, then which is the 'another' method that is same as autopatcher ?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....That ISO is just a package, or more like a zip file or rar file in which many updates are there. No one needs to burn a CD. You can even mount it as a network share using Virtual CD Powertoy from MS or Daemon tools or Nero Image drive & share it across the network.

Autopatchers was good, but it was violating MS terms of service due to which it was closed. Trust me, I don't believe in that MS statement of Firefox, but for gods sake....stop crying when there is same option available from MS itself.

There are other ways. But autopatcher was making things very easy and it saved a lot of time, money and effort of a lot of people and offices.

Ok first....offices don't use Autopatcher...well, at least not those which use Genuine Windows cos if Autopatcher breaks the machine then MS will not give any support.

If you can download a 50 MB monthly update of Autopatcher every month, then why can't u download a 50 MB ISO? or 5 MB Windows Updates?

it distributed the updates in the original form, they didn't alter any updates afaik!

Oh plz...I already mentioned I don't believe that representatives reason to seize autopatcher. Did the IE 7/WMP11 included in Autopatcher used to look for Genuine Windows?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
some one plz help me find windows xp specific MS update ISO. the one i got was a consolidated one for all windows versions and its a 2.8GB download!!!

din

Tribal Boy
You can download it from here

*support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

Every months updates

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ thats the same one i'm talking about! the iso released on 16th august is 2.8gb download from that link. its for all versions of windows. i'm not able to find windows xp specific iso.

din

Tribal Boy
Sory if thats the wrong link

Meantime, this one makes any sense ? lil confusing ..

*www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/30612821/download-all-updates.aspx

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
infra_red_dude said:
some one plz help me find windows xp specific MS update ISO. the one i got was a consolidated one for all windows versions and its a 2.8GB download!!!
I need that link too please!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
@ anirudh

Check at Windows Update first. If there are 100 updates released in a month, then u only require 10 at max. Why don't u just let Windows Update download it?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
edit: the best strategy to follow now is to download the latest autopatcher before MS forces all copies, housed on various servers, down and then from now on update using windows update. at least a substantial amount of downloading each time will be saved. lets hope something comes out to ease this process soon.

gx_saurav said:
@ anirudh

Check at Windows Update first. If there are 100 updates released in a month, then u only require 10 at max. Why don't u just let Windows Update download it?
thats coz its not for my pc (which is on broadband) but for my uncle's PCs on dialup. i think i mentioned it before. even downloading 10mb twice thrice or whatever is waste of time, money and bandwidth. i hope you got my point and then how do i back it up for later use if its automatically done thru windows update?

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
Hmm

That pretty much sux :(

GX, where are the 50 mb ISO ? Please enlighten us

Or only way is download invidual updates ?

2.8 GB will take ages :(

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
gx_saurav said:
Yup, usually its 50 MB only for every month. Even Digit can distribute it.
Are you sure ??? Bcoz I can't trust M$.
Arey M$ ne to apne MVPs ko bhi nahi chhoda to vo Digit ka kya hal kar denge ???

din

Tribal Boy
@infra_red_dude, yes thats the best thing fr the time being.

I downloaded the latest autopatcher 3-4 days back I think ! Other ones I have it in magazine CDs. So its ok upto Aug 2007. Will have to depend on the online update now onwards.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
din said:
@infra_red_dude, yes thats the best thing fr the time being.

I downloaded the latest autopatcher 3-4 days back I think ! Other ones I have it in magazine CDs. So its ok upto Aug 2007. Will have to depend on the online update now onwards.

Me too !!! Instead of downloading, I got it from a mag!

din

Tribal Boy
Gx..........................

Please post links of the 50 mb ISOs that you mentioned. How many are there ? Can't find those in MS site. All ISO there are huge.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah din... but i'm outta luck. since autopatcher has been denounced by MS i can't use it for my uncle's office PCs due to legal issues :( and rite now its not a fresh install, so its not viable to create an image and restore it. so that option is ruled out too.

unless i find some solution to it i think i'll hafta get to work now. download that 2.8GiB update, format the PCs at his office, install windows afresh, apply the hUGE update, make images and then let things go... or better, if he doesn't mind and its possible for him, i'll suggest a switch over!

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
personally ... i used to like the autopatcher... :(

but i guess ms had their compulsions :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom