Microsoft Ceases AutoPatcher Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
shirish_nagar said:
What abt me??? I'm in remote area. I don't have an Unlimited Broadband connection. How could I update my XP ??

The same way you will download Autopatcher in that remote area

And why I should BUY an update CD every month which they(M$) should provide me FREE for support ???

Who said buying :confused: just download the ISO

chinmay

Journeyman
Gosh! You don't really get the point GX, do you? When contacted by Antonis Kaladis and Steven Parker (the people behind Autopatcher) MS clearly said that WGA is not a problem here. They said that the reason they are taking down Autopatcher is becuase people don't require it anymore as Windows Update is now available on Firefox.

As if that wasn't lame enough, I when checked Windows Update on my latest version of Firefox and a Genuine Copy of Windows XP Professional it said that Windows update doesn't support Firefox and IE is needed.

I am sick of people looking at the negative aspect of everything. People who use pirated version know clearly how to surpass WGA. There are releases of XP on the internet which don't even require you to crack it, just enter the CD Key supplied and you are ready to use Windows Update. What Autopatcher was doing helped a lot of people with Genuine Copy like mine too. Microsoft has come out to be lamer than ever.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
The same way you will download Autopatcher in that remote area
what if he buys the mag and gets autopatcher in the cd? distribution of ms updates is not possible now so the update iso can't be distributed.. what abt that?

and MS really can't give WGA as the excuse coz that'll be pretty absurd...ok they forgot opera support! :D so for ppl who use opera.. what abt them!! ;) lol... MS must do their homework first and then come out wid lame excuses! actually all the measures MS has "supposedly" taken to ensure that "genuine" windows users don't face any kinda problem haf failed and it has made the lives of those users miserable, including me!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Choto Cheeta said:
GX yaar Bandwidth is the main issue with autoupdate...
Yo, its a non issue, Have u ever tried autoupdating & checked how less it downloads in XP/Vista.

at Home systems Installation once a 4 or 6 month wont give u much problem..
Grow up dude....u don't really need to reinstall Windows every 4 to 6 months. This is just a myth.

Think of a place where u have more than 10 or 20 systems... once again u have to follow MS New updates all the time for those stand alone updates...
I have worked in such scenarios. Just download the monthly ISO of all the updates after SP2, or just that months update. Extract/Mount somewhere. Then either install all of them using QChain for Windows XP (if u r system admin) or one by one only those update which need to be installed. On a network of many computers you can share the ISO & install from there or set a group policy to update all computers on next reboot. Not all update require reboot now.

Remember, not every computer requires every update. So why download & install all of them? Isn't Windows Update a better choice?
and once some one is not using auto update thinks comes down to Manuall installation :( which once again a pain with some many of those :(
Microsoft QCHain...baseline security analyzer...try using those. Other easy options are already available for legal users...just that no one knows or tries them.

AutoUpdate is the choice at any day as even after Auto Patcher Office and few MS product updates needs to be obtain which one would do using Auto Update... at that case download will be around 20MB MAX but to update a system from XP SP2 stage is really hard considering our Bandwidth :|
If you are talking about bandwidth then here is the thing, what will u chose

1) You check Via Windows Update & it says 5 out of 50 updates are required. Total download size = 5 MB only..

2) U go to autopatcher site & download this months update....the litest installation file = 50 MB

3) U note down the 5 Updates given by Windows Update, & go to Windows Download center, total Size to download 25 MB...

which one do u think is better for bandwidth concerns.? Indeed go ahead & if u r running genuine Windows then try Automatic Windows Update in XP & Vista, you will be shocked yourself how low the download size is.

Windows Update package = the updated dll/exe, compressed as cab

Download center package = Full exe containing the updated dll/exe with installation engine files too....which are not required.

Have u ever tried looking why MS changed the Windows update package file format with Vista to MSU? Thats because the installation engine files are already in Windows Vista & that MSU contains only the updated dll/exe.

chinmay said:
As if that wasn't lame enough, I when checked Windows Update on my latest version of Firefox and a Genuine Copy of Windows XP Professional it said that Windows update doesn't support Firefox and IE is needed.
Here is the thing. Windows comes with IE, even if u don't use it how hard it is to use IE for checking Windows update once in a while?

People who use pirated version know clearly how to surpass WGA. There are releases of XP on the internet which don't even require you to crack it, just enter the CD Key supplied and you are ready to use Windows Update.
Well then why do they need Autopatcher? Can't they just download from MS servers then :D

What Autopatcher was doing helped a lot of people with Genuine Copy like mine too. Microsoft has come out to be lamer than ever.
How? Did Autopatcher checked whether your OS is genuine or not?

distribution of ms updates is not possible now so the update iso can't be distributed.. what abt that?
That ISO is made & packed by MS, Distribution of that ISO should be allowed.

MS can re-allow the Autopatcher project with WGA check included, that will solve all problems. It doesn't take high logic to understand why MS is doing this, Firefox support or availability of updates to Non-genuine users. Besides....autopatcher was violating the MS ToS, sorry.....u can't break it just like that. Why don't u try the hotfix.net?

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
GX... I am not the person to argue :lol:...

anyway see every single organisations IT setup is different...

Even case of arguement really one never needs to make one Re-Installation at any point of the time... Full installation and one Ghost Image of the OS drive thats it.. simple restoreing the image next time will do... :p

System Essential 2007 would be also a good option now... !!! :|

but tell me quite honestly, whether we have work around for AutoPatcher or not, did u supported stop of AutoPatcher... ?? QChain or centralize update from one Local server to the main client was even there from a long long time... even long before AutoPatcher came to eistanse... but some how it never gain populerity of AutoPatcher...

:(

May be lack of Knowledge

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Choto Cheeta said:
anyway see every single organisations IT setup is different...

Trust me, none of the IT organizations I have worked with or seen working will prefer Autopatcher for large scale deployment instead of an image based deployment.
Full installation and one Ghost Image of the OS drive thats it.. simple restoreing the image next time will do...

Yup, with Vista you can even make a full bootable image of your C Drive using Windows Backup, & later on restore it.

System Essential 2007 would be also a good option now... !!! :|

Like I said, other better options are already available from MS, atleast try it.

did u supported stop of AutoPatcher... ??

Nopte

QChain or centralize update from one Local server to the main client was even there from a long long time... even long before AutoPatcher came to eistanse... but some how it never gain populerity of AutoPatcher.

Thats because most of the users u see out there are using Pirated Windows & autopatcher was a boon for them. Autopatcher didn't even come with WGA check for IE 7 installation which real IE Package comes with. Qchain is quite popular with those who know what it is, same with ISO Based deployment of updates....just start PowerShell/CMD/CLI/GPEdit (Whatever), & set it to install updates on all the computer.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Here is the thing. Windows comes with IE, even if u don't use it how hard it is to use IE for checking Windows update once in a while?
why should anyone do that if he doesn't want to use IE? isn't that against freedom of choice? i don't wanna use ie at all.. nobody can force me to use it even tho its jus for checking updates. lets say if i say i don't wanna use the MS update engine to update my system then that wud be lame as the update engine is a core component of the OS. it makes sense. but what abt ie? ie can't be made a core component of windows coz there are comptt. products out there.

gx_saurav said:
That ISO is made & packed by MS, Distribution of that ISO should be allowed.
can you plz confirm that? coz i'm in a fix now. my uncle uses 2 XP laptops in his office. the housekeeping chores is my duty. to see that all the software, AV suite, windows are updated to their latest versions. i used to apply autopatcher for updates. the system are connected to the net thru dial up and do haf some imp. and sensitive info. i wudn't risk not updating that system neither can i download all the updates on dial up, that too twice!! once for each lappy. if that iso is not redistributable then i think i'll advise him a major changeover as i can't invite the wrath of doing anything illegal by still using that iso as it can lead to major probs for his office!!!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
infra_red_dude said:
why should anyone do that if he doesn't want to use IE? isn't that against freedom of choice? i don't wanna use ie at all.. nobody can force me to use it even tho its jus for checking updates.

Fine, U won't have this trouble in Vista then. Windows Update is a standalone application now & doesn't need IE :)

if that iso is not redistributable then i think i'll advise him a major changeover.

Check betanews, Microsoft Download center & download the ISO. Done....then u can use it to install on as many computer as u like, the package is made & packaged by MS so no problem. You can distribute as long as it is in its original state without any change

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Fine, U won't have this trouble in Vista then. Windows Update is a standalone application now & doesn't need IE :)
vista marketting, eh??!! ;) sometimes i wonder what all will MS do for pushing users to vista! :D hehe... plz take it on a lighter note. no offence meant to the fanboys :)

gx_saurav said:
You can distribute as long as it is in its original state without any change
sigh! *relieved* :)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Lets talk some thing else...

Till date I am using Windows Server Update Services 3.0 was fine till i deployed Vista in few clients... :( it seems WSUS cant Manage Vista based ones... System Center Essentials 2007 can be one asnwer... but its not free I suppose :(

any work around for Clients running Vista ?? also any idea how much would be cost of System Center Essentials 2007 ??

i_am_crack

HAF 922 Owner
Cost of SCE 2007...More than my 2 months present salary dude...I stopped thinking after it .. belive me i am sys admin since 1999..

Love fight love peace..

eBRo

lambo

Broken In
Hey GX....you have been telling that autoupdating through Windows will mean reduced update size vis-a-vis auto-patcher. Well, I just updated my Windows using autoupdate in Windows-total download size: around 250 MB (in autopatcher its around 320 MB). This is surely no small update size..atleast not for people with dial-up connection (I have unlimited broadband fortunately). It took me 4 hours to update my Win XP SP2..with autopatcher it takes no more than 1 hour. Autopatcher is surely needed.....

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
lambo said:
Hey GX....you have been telling that autoupdating through Windows will mean reduced update size vis-a-vis auto-patcher.

Yup, cos it only downloads whats changed

I just updated my Windows using autoupdate in Windows-total download size: around 250 MB (in autopatcher its around 320 MB). This is surely no small update size..atleast not for people with dial-up connection

Yup, both this edition Autopatcher & AutoUpdate are big cos they contain all the updates after SP2.

It took me 4 hours to update my Win XP SP2..with autopatcher it takes no more than 1 hour. Autopatcher is surely needed.....

Wait, it took u 4 hrs to download 250 MB but 1 hr to download 320 MB:confused::confused:, whats going on?

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
Wait, it took u 4 hrs to download 250 MB but 1 hr to download 320 MB:confused::confused:, whats going on?

GX, I know you support MS in many cases (no complaints as you can support any) but I am really surprised you support MS even in this case !

As you know there are people who can't update online everytime. There are a lot of reasons. And most of the popular computer magazine CD / DVD around the world carries autopatcher almost every month - Which is a great help for all.

Piracy, yes we should not support it.

But think about this.

You have to install win xp in new PC, very urgent and you do not have an image of the entire disk. We install xp + sp2, then use auto patcher that comes in CDs. Lot of time is saved.

And evenif we download autopatcher, we distribute it and that helps a lot who does not have a fast net conn.

For example, I downloaded some autopatcher (just because I didn't get the latest from magazine CDs - for all old ones, I have it in magazine CDs) and I gave it to my cousin who has only gprs conn at his house.

There are a lot of situation Autopatcher comes as a great help (net conn is not the only reason, there are lot). I am sure you will agree that it was a life-saver in many situation. Just wondering why you justify MS in this case .....

EDIT - If you go through the autopatcher / neowin site and read the comments on the news you can see a lot of strong supporters of MS expressed shock / disbelief and does not support MS in this case.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
As you know there are people who can't update online everytime. There are a lot of reasons. And most of the popular computer magazine CD / DVD around the world carries autopatcher almost every month - Which is a great help for all.

Piracy, yes we should not support it.

But think about this.

You have to install win xp in new PC, very urgent and you do not have an image of the entire disk. We install xp + sp2, then use auto patcher that comes in CDs. Lot of time is saved.

I know about the sorry condition of net in India, & I do agree that autopatcher was about convenience, but its not like there is no other way. Like I said, try downloading the security updates ISO from Microsoft Download center with all the updates of Windows XP after SP2.

Autopatcher can still exist, if they provide the packages in unaltered state...like the packaged IE 7 with WGA check, the way MS packaged & WGA check in Autopatcher. MS Should have given this option to autopatcher authors indeed....but stop crying when there is another way to update

And evenif we download autopatcher, we distribute it and that helps a lot who does not have a fast net conn.

Fine...then why not now Distribute the Official ISO from MS. :) Both means U have to download & distribute unaltered copy of a big file.

Just wondering why you justify MS in this case .....

I am not justifying MS, I m just saying that stop blaming MS when MS is providing u another method which is more or less same as Autopatcher & is official & legal to use.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Hey gx, how could I download the ISO on dial-up every month? And yeh, I get Autopather from mag CD/DVD.

And, ms is allowing free distribution naa? Can u plz send me that ISO burnt CD every month by post? :D

mediator

Technomancer
The last time we argued, gx bhai raised a point about update via net on linux and that it leeches bandwidth, takes time etc. And now that MS is going the Linux way, I guess its alright for u? Too bad MS snatched another option from its users!

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
I am not justifying MS, I m just saying that stop blaming MS when MS is providing u another method which is more or less same as Autopatcher & is official & legal to use.

Does that means MS will allow computer magazines to distribute the ISO mentioned ? Atleast to all genuine win users ?

If MS is not giving / allowing the updates in CD / DVD, then which is the 'another' method that is same as autopatcher ?

There are other ways. But autopatcher was making things very easy and it saved a lot of time, money (I didn't mean piracy, lol, I meant the internet + power etc) and effort of a lot of people and offices.

It is just like we install Fedora through inernet and using the Fedora DVD to install. I think the DVD install is good, but I may be wrong too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom