CPU/Chipset News

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Guys when will the successor of Haswell release? I have a first gen i7, i7 950, and would like to know when will the upgrade of Haswell release so that I can upgrade? Do they have any plan for this year? Don't really wanna go for Haswell as I am not seeing that much of an improvement.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Guys when will the successor of Haswell release? I have a first gen i7, i7 950, and would like to know when will the upgrade of Haswell release so that I can upgrade? Do they have any plan for this year? Don't really wanna go for Haswell as I am not seeing that much of an improvement.

Wait for skylake - Expected in 2015 - It is major improvement from Your current cpu.Till then your i7 is fine :)

sukesh1090

Adam young
@bavusani,
AFAIK broadwell will not be released for desktops.it will most probably a BGA package.

@ whatthefrak,
If you are happy with the performance of your current i7 then there is no need of upgrading to haswell but if you really want an upgrade and if you are in 1st gen i7 i.e., nehalem then you will see a lot of improvement because there was a huge performance improvement in SB from nehalem.
also i don't see any new architecture coming for desktop processors as both AMD and intel are more concentrated towards mobile platforms.so most probably we will not see anything untill 2015 or may be 2016.Intel's next move will mostly depend on AMD's move as of right now intel doesn't have any competition for their desktop processors.if AMD release excavtor in 2015 and it live up to its expectation then we may see some good game beween these two.till then fingers crossed.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

before broadwell, intel is likely to introduce haswell refresh. better wait for skylake as everyone mentioned.

@bavusani,
AFAIK broadwell will not be released for desktops.it will most probably a BGA package.

not true. not all broadwell cpu may come as BGA afaik

vkl

Cyborg Agent
AnandTech Portal | AMD Kaveri Review: A8-7600 and A10-7850K Tested
AMD Kaveri A10-7850K & A8-7600 Review

AMD's A8-7600 'Kaveri' processor reviewed - The Tech Report
AMD A8-7600 Kaveri APU review - Introduction
AMD A8-7600 Kaveri APU Review - HSA Arrives | PC Perspective

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD is also working on a high performance 12 Core processor too, based on Stream Roller architecture. AMD Working on 16-Core Processor with Integrated PCI Express 3.0 Controller

ASHISH65

Technomancer
AMD Rolls Out "Warsaw" Opteron CPUs With 12 and 16 Cores

Intel Quietly Launches Ten New Mobile Processors :ssshhh::ssshhh:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
A very nice comparison between 3 similarly priced processors from 1st Gen Core(Nehalem),2nd Gen Core(Sandy Bridge) and AMD BullDozer.
Notice how the Bulldozer fails to scratch even the age old Nehalem.

HD 7970: Bulldozer vs. Sandy Bridge vs. Nehalem Review | techPowerUp

And here is another comparison in the same vein, here all three processors are compared at same clocks, effectively comparing architectures.
Sandy vs Nehalem Vs Bulldozer Vs Piledriver.
Sandy Bridge vs Nehalem vs Bulldozer vs Piledriver {BENCHMARKS!!!} | TechPowerUp Forums

looks to me like AMD is in a rut, its Bull Pile :p processors are overpriced and underperforming
and Intel hasn't been improving much too,
not much difference between Sandy and Nehalem too.
And I don't think Haswell improves on Sandy by even 10% when it comes to gaming

p.s.
I am not a fanboy of sorts and I don't work for Intel/AMD.

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
Sorry if I misused the thread topic.
Guys I am having

ASUS 660Ti TOP(OC)
Core 2 Quad Q35 + 4GB RAM

Usage stats.png

I think I am being bottlenecked.
Should I upgrade mu CPU now ? or wait? I heard from my friend that some next gen. CPUs are gonna get released quarter third of this year.
Or add some more RAM and wait till the processor arrives ?

Thank You.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Which model of Core2Quad you are having. Q35 is the chipset used in the Motherboard, it is not the Processor name.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ check the attached image :D he is using a Q6600 with G0 stepping. Though that CPU is a excellent OCer the mobo sucks .... only way to OC this is to use SetFSB but then again it won't be much.

If you are waiting for new gen cpu you can wait for Haswell refresh or get a haswell i5/ i7 or even an AMD 6 / 8 core cpu ... all of these are better than your current cpu.

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
^^ check the attached image :D he is using a Q6600 with G0 stepping. Though that CPU is a excellent OCer the mobo sucks .... only way to OC this is to use SetFSB but then again it won't be much.

If you are waiting for new gen cpu you can wait for Haswell refresh or get a haswell i5/ i7 or even an AMD 6 / 8 core cpu ... all of these are better than your current cpu.

Thanks for your explanation.
So What is the best bet ?

Change mobo/hardware(spend some money) and OC ? or
Will adding some more RAM be useful without OC ?
Wait for some time and Change the Processor ?
( I would like to add in little money make some MODs and keep the same processor for some 6 months as far as possible )

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
reduce the game settings while playing in order to avoid bottlenecks to some extend so that you can keep this system for 6 months and then upgrade to a new gen cpu and mobo with the collected money..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for your explanation.
So What is the best bet ?

Change mobo/hardware(spend some money) and OC ? or
Will adding some more RAM be useful without OC ?
Wait for some time and Change the Processor ?
( I would like to add in little money make some MODs and keep the same processor for some 6 months as far as possible )

Don't just spend anything on it but if you are really adventurous then you can get a second hand good OC friendly mobo from forum sales thread [ looks for mobos with P35 / x38 / P43 / P45 / P48 chipset with VRM cooling ] . Get a nice cpu cooler [ like CM Hyper 212x ]. Provided you have a good PSU you can take the cpu upto 3 - 3.4 Ghz.

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
reduce the game settings while playing in order to avoid bottlenecks to some extend so that you can keep this system for 6 months and then upgrade to a new gen cpu and mobo with the collected money..

Don't just spend anything on it but if you are really adventurous then you can get a second hand good OC friendly mobo from forum sales thread [ looks for mobos with P35 / x38 / P43 / P45 / P48 chipset with VRM cooling ] . Get a nice cpu cooler [ like CM Hyper 212x ]. Provided you have a good PSU you can take the cpu upto 3 - 3.4 Ghz.

OK.Got your point.
Thank You :)

Genius-jatt

Broken In
Very informative Thread and discussion thanks to all members.

Please tell what is the latest stats of CPU/Chipset News + prices

Thanks

Top Bottom