Continuously running PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
18+hrs every day... standard hardware, almost no breathing space in cabinet, simple fan and a single major prob for the last 5 years. Mother board failure. Repaired, not replaced. 800/-
This thing is goin on for the last 5 years, continuously, sometimes in excess of 3 days continuous usage.

PCs can take this torture, not lappies... not ever.

So adi...go on. But ur fancy'll come down in a month or so.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i don't think there is any problem if pc is up 24/7 but there will be wear & tear as it is being used as server

Kniwor

Learner
JGuru said:
Yes, ofcourse the damage is caused by over-heating.

damage is caused by overheating, but running PC for long is no cause for overheating....

if anyone knows thermodynamics, he will know that a PC will be in thermal equillibrium in about an hour, the processor, heatsink, n everything..... so if u can play a game for 1 hor on ur PC on a summers day, u can run it all year without a single reboot....

I run an ftp server for my friends in my college, so my PC is on 24x7, Everest shows an uptime of 94%, the longest uptime is more than 10days, which means there have been times when my PC had no reboot for 10 days..... no pwer halt

and that too when i am at an overclock of 2.8Ghz from 2.0Ghz.... and this is the scene from more than an year... so the answer is NO, it does not hut to tun your PC for any length of time....

but guess what? i have a news, i believe u should not shutdown and start ur PC too often, because the chips a silicon, thenmal expansion and contraction has adverse effect on the chip, ever heard "weathering of rocks", anyhow, so if u need ur PC at regular intervals, i suggest u leave it on, insted of turn ON, tund off, tunrb ON.... because this hurts.....

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Cooling is a must for all PC. But for guys who use win 95 and 98 and telling that they have never reboot the system are liers. I think you all are nor aware of 49.7 Days funda of Windows. Fact is that Windows crashes automatically after 49.7 Days! :D

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
kiran.rkk said:
I think you all are nor aware of 49.7 Days funda of Windows.
Sorry @kiran, but on contrary I think its u who r not aware of the funda! That funda of 49.7 days is applicable to Win 95 and 98! Xp and server 2003 etc are not known to such vulnerabilities.
Neways many people here are also talking about *nix based PCs and I hope u know the might of *nix based PCs. So u please don't call neone "lier" here out of ur ignorance in this tech forum!
If u wanna verify my statements, then feel free to google otherwise test urself Xp,2003 and various Linux distros! :D

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
@mediator:Cool down dude! Who will keep PC on for 49.7 days? Any installation of software itself results in a reboot. I am aware that it is applicable to windows 95 and 98. I was just making it aware for the people who don't know. Anyway I will make it more precise. It is edited now! Hope you are happy now. :D

mediator

Technomancer
kiran.rkk said:
@mediator:Cool down dude! Who will keep PC on for 49.7 days? Any installation of software itself results in a reboot. I am aware that it is applicable to windows 95 and 98. I was just making it aware for the people who don't know. Anyway I will take back the quote of liers. It is edited now!

@kiran, Today Only a few people use 95 and 98! The figure may be like 2 outta 100. Most people who posted in this thread either use XP or *nix. If u were aware that the 49.7 days vulnerabilty was restricted to 95 and 98, then u shud have posted it and shud have said that "It is specifically for 95 and 98" right away and not edited after my reply!
Neways even if u knew about the vulnerability for 98, then u shud have known that 98 cud be fixed by the service pack or updates available for it! SO even if someone here is running 98, he too can run his 98 box continouslu longer than 49.7 days!! U may edit ur post again now to include the restrictions to "win 95 and Win98 without updates"!

For running continously, people dont do that during windows/software installations that need restarts. People keep their PC's switched on downloading pirated movies, softwares,torrents and most importantly to keep their websites (servers) alive!

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Few or many..what ever u say so...What made you think that most people who posted here are xp and unix users? fact is a fact. What if those 2 outta 100 is here? It cannot be ignored. Atleast the message is conveyed to them. It's not what you have. It's what you take from here.

mediator

Technomancer
kiran.rkk said:
Few or many..what ever u say so...What made you think that most people who posted here are xp and unix users? fact is a fact. What if those 2 outta 100 is here? It cannot be ignored. Atleast the message is conveyed to them. It's not what you have. It's what you take from here.
WHat made me think so? Dude, I've been here earlier than u and I know what OS most people use here and I can even tell u about most of them and by their usernames that what OS they use preferably. If u still doubt, then go ahead , be my guest, open an honest poll and ask the people here, what OS they use and then list the people who replied here!
So u see even if 2 users use outdated windows versions here no one will be using 95 continously for downloading their entertainment as I dont find 95 stable at all for that!

Neways ya fact is fact, n u shud have posted it initially in a more ethical manner and much specifically. Neways peace out! :)

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
well it all depends upon ur cooling system and basic idea u have on computer.....coz.... i whenever i come to home ( basically i am studying from hostel...) i used to run my system for full three or four days......

my bro too does it ..... but the thing is i have a tri fan case ...and a really good air spacing and a regular cleaning of the fans on the board and in my graphics card//////

thus all depends upon u .....

but if u ask me ....regular cleaning and good fan option...u can run ur system for hours...without a problemm...

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
@mediator: Well this is not a chatting platform. I dont wanna discuss anything more about this issue. Moreover it is useless when one points out who came here earlier. Thanks for pointing out that you have a good memory. Remembering all usernames with OS they use! I find it hard to remember my passwords sometimes! ;)

mediator

Technomancer
@kiran, Have mercy! Don't get emotional dude! I didn't made any personal remark or insulted u but only corrected ur statements!! I know this is not a chatting platform, but this is a forum and I hope u know what forum means! U wanted to enlighten ppl about 49.7 days rt?? What if I had not intervened and corrected u?? Wudn't that had delivered incorrect and false messege? Wud u have liked that??
Neways I don't have a personal book for remembering USers and their preferred OS. Its only that when u help and get helped u get to know about the people urself like u know about people in ur neighbourhood and house's victinity!

kiran.rkk said:
I dont wanna discuss anything more about this issue.
Neways its not a debate to be discussed endlessly ! If u made some incorrect/ignorant statement or made some personal remark, then u shud have no objections in accepting ur fault.

So cheer up, I was just correcting ya! May be u can correct me somewhere in this forum and I'll be delighted if u do that! PEACE and chill ! :)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
kiran.rkk said:
@mediator:Cool down dude! Who will keep PC on for 49.7 days?

there are many ppl here
in last summers when i was free my uptime on ubuntu was 41days
there are my members who rarely shutdown there pc.
also windows for one or other reason has to reboot

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
@mediator: Hey dude! Me gettin emotional? I would rather tear their hair apart who is trying to rise my hairs! Didn't I accept your quote and sincerely edit my post? What more you wanna from me?? Do you want me to write a long letter filling this thread showing off my grammatical skills ? Sorry dude..i jus can't mediate in that way!

Come on yaar..lets stop debating on this issue...which i think is unnecessarly stretching too long. Anyways thanks for highlighting the error.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
don't u face the problem of Loadshadingdo all guys here use Inverters
I never keep my pc on above 6 hours
i regularly take a break of 1 hour after 6 hours :)
My PC is more than the Friend of me not like u u use u r PC for many illigle purpose u are thinking of yourself only.shelfish

I love my PC very much

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
aditya1987 said:
Hello guys!!

Can someone tell me, how long can i run pc continuously?

Does running pc for too long damages it.

I have got BSNL unlimited connection, so I dont feel like turning my pc off.

Mine's running for 21 days now. No heat up issues, no system breaks, nothing! And I dont even Hibernate, just goes to Standby after half an hour of inactivity. I forgot what my bootscreen was set to.

I use Ubuntu Linux 6.10 though. Windows might break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom