Continuously running PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
non stop highest my pc run for 10 Days and 11 hours... before power went off and i wasnt home USP low bat allert hibernated my system :( ....

Power problem is only enemy for me keeping the system 24x7 on... though we have one inverter but family watches a lot of TV so they force me not to run PC on Inverter... :(.. thinking for getting a long bat life UPS for me :)) so.. truly i can go 24x7....

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
due to the power cut problem i turn off the system when I am not at home. If I am at home i don't waste important cpu cycles ;)
i keep downloading stuffs running out of hdd space here lol..

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

da_tcpip

Journeyman
i ususally keep my pc runnnin 4-5 days at a stretch and shut it down only when i install some new app which requires a reboot .. damn windows
one day when i become fluent in ubuntu.. am gonna throw all the xp cd/dvd that i have gatehered

NikhilVerma

Padawan
cooljeba said:
due to the power cut problem i turn off the system when I am not at home.

Same here :p I do keep my PC's running for 3~4 days in a row but sometimes a powercut is so long that I have to turn of the PC. Guys running PCs for 21 days straight should consider themselves lucky .... I get powercuts as long as 3 hrs here :(

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
The max I've run my PC was probably for around 10+ hours mainly because of power cuts :( Also, PC is not in my room :( else I would have never switched it off. Just waiting to shift my PC to my room and do stuff which I'm prevented to do till now

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
[offtopic]
da_tcpip said:
i ususally keep my pc runnnin 4-5 days at a stretch and shut it down only when i install some new app which requires a reboot .. damn windows
one day when i become fluent in ubuntu.. am gonna throw all the xp cd/dvd that i have gatehered
Give the xp to me than :D[/offtopic]

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ make a copy and send to me also

last i downloaded a very car racing game from the net reently for 8 days continuous .... i had to restart after that coz it started behaving wierd ... slow and all

Jagannatha.BR

Right off the assembly line
yes that may harm your pc components by over heating you must have good ventilation for your pc cabinet using some extra fans

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
Sourabh said:
All you need is some good cooling and ofcourse an interrupted power supply.
Hope you meant uninterrupted? :p

My PC stays on(/line) for about 12-16 hrs of the day, on an average. No problems. Of course it doesn't complain when it gets about 6-8 hrs of external air conditioning. :D

techno tublai

Broken In
How long can a PC be kept switched on?

Hello Here Guys.
Judging from the post you must have guessed my query. Well it is actually that. Generally my PC is hooked on to the internet for my downloading jobs or else I listen to music. Normally in these cases I keep my monitor switched off. Rarely I do CPU intensive jobs such as video encoding or playing a game. Sometimes my PC is on at a streach for more that 16 hours a day. Now guys, is this permissable to keep it on for so long? To add a fact, my processor does not heat up much and I have a well ventilated cabinet. But what about the issues of continious HDD useage and other similar stuff? Please reply and thnks in advance.

ashisharya

In the zone
Re: How long can a PC be kept switched on?

if ur cabinet is well ventilated, then no probs for running pc too long. check ur hdd, processor temp and check whether they r at operating temp or not. if exceeded u may swith off pc

shantanu

Technomancer

Thats ok coz i am using my pc from 12noon to 4 am means around 16hrs daily and many times if downloads are there then three- four days also downloaded FC6 from fedoracore redhat site .. 4 gb on a 115.2 kbps connection took three and haalf days continous without breakage..

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME

my PC runs from morning 10 to 2 then from 3pm to night 4-5 a.m .......so i guess
18 hrs a day should be okie

abhipal

Journeyman

The PC can be kept on for few days continuously but the ventilation must be proper.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

I rarely switch off my PC. Only 2 components have failed till now SMPS and the power switch, ironically. So, with good SMPS, cooling and uninterrupted power supply, I don't see why you even need to switch off the PC, except to keep down electric bills :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom