Continuously running PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
Manshahia said:
@ Pragadheesh The Link u hav given is the same thread He he hehe

:D:D:D.....usually when a mod has replied and a link provided by a member it is usually that soem tinkering has been done.....
but i had good time reading that....no offense..but i enjoyed that line

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
bUT gUYS nO oNE rEPLIED tO mY qUERY..
Which is the best company for good quality cooling fans??

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
tech_your_future said:
I can safely tell that you can have the PC running for years without problems with proper cooling and power supply. I have had times when my PC used to run for months without being shutdown.

what about various other compents like hard disks which spin countuasly as all the time data is being written or retrieved. remember these are pc hdd's not server hdd. so there is be wear and tear.

P.S:pls post your config in full

well ,i never shutdown my pc .......... its been years......propably a one and a half except when restarting for software installation or when am on a vacation .

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
gary4gar said:
what about various other compents like hard disks which spin countuasly as all the time data is being written or retrieved. remember these are pc hdd's not server hdd. so there is be wear and tear.

P.S:pls post your config in full
I haven't had a single problem with my hard disk so far. It's been over 3 yrs. I have a 40GB Samsung PATA disk. A normal PC hard disk no server hard disk or anything. And I install so many distros, so my hard disk has been formatted 'n' number of times. I also install lot of updates as and when they come, beta softwares, testing distros and all such stuff.
I don't have anything extra for cooling either. Only that I leave my cabinet open. But, that has been only since last 3-4 months.

Manshahia check the hardware troubleshooting section. There are a couple of such queries if i remember right. If not then create a new thread there.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Manshahia said:
bUT gUYS nO oNE rEPLIED tO mY qUERY..
Which is the best company for good quality cooling fans??

I am using one 120mm Antec Tricool which came with the cabinet, One Vantec Stealth 92mm for cooling the CPU and one Vantec Stealth 80mm for inlet at front. Vantec Stealth series are more silent and I bought them from Ebay.in. Coolermaster also should be available.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
But even now i cud nt find the answer.
Can i cut my cabinet for holes to plzce fans in that?
Nd where sud i plzce the fans.
I having SMPS of Frontech, how many more fans can b accomodated using his power supply??

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
How much time a computer can be on?

Help me!! I am downloading FC-6. Out of 5 discs, i have downloaded 1 disc. It took about 13 hrs to download 1 disk. So to download, it will take me about 13x5= 65 hrs that is about 2.5 days. So can i keep my pc on continious for approx. 3 days? Also i noticed that my 1st HDD(Windows) does not turn off even after setting turn off hdds in 1 min. in the BIOS. So is there any danger to my HDDs? In the second one linux isos are being downloaded.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Re: How much time a computer can be on?

Tech Geek said:
You can keep it on foe 3 days
i kept it many times

Are u sure? Nothing will happen na? Your machine must be p4 or C2D. But mine is an old man- p3 500. and PSU is 450 Watt ATX.

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl

nilesh.3892 said:
Are u sure? Nothing will happen na? Your machine must be p4 or C2D. But mine is an old man- p3 500. and PSU is 450 Watt ATX.
Ya damn sure
Nothing happened to mine atleast

use a download manager .DOwnload for nearly 5-12 hrs and then give it a break of atleast 3hrs .Hten u can continue ur downloading from there itslef

champ_rock

champ_rock

infact i think old machines have less horsepower therefore they can be left on for a greater amount of time incurring less electricity costs ;)

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl

siddharth_2463107 said:
use a download manager .DOwnload for nearly 5-12 hrs and then give it a break of atleast 3hrs .Hten u can continue ur downloading from there itslef

i am using FDM since 2 years. I had a dialup connection before so to optimize downloads, i use FDM. and to download 1 disc using FDM, i took me 13 hrs. i never download directly as they fail much even on broadband and are very slow.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro

Computer can be on as long as you want. Even years. Just make sure you provide it with continuous power supply.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人

go on... mine PIII runs 24hrs... 7days most of the time. Only a power cut shuts it down. Just leave a fan on if u r in doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom