Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whoa, Skud u hav HX750!! :shock: Jus now noticed... IF u change the cpu+mobo+RAM, it would be a damn rig...

Poor man's way of high-end PC building. ;) That HX750 was my first steps towards upgrading my rig. Hoping to round it up next year. May be with Piledriver and Hudson D4. And RAM, of course. :D

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Hi.. just looking for some PSU guru's to answer this question.. (thot it would invite more responses than my original PC upgrade thread)

Is my current Zebronics 500w platinum series PSU enough to handle this new (partial) build of mine.

Phenom II x4 840
Asus M4A78LT-M or LE
Corsair 2 GB
MSI/Saphire 1GB 6770HD
2 optical drives
1 or max. 2 SATA drives
Ethernet PCI card
TV Tuner PCI card

There have been huge arguments about my PSU not being enough for this.. and some others with biased opinions that it will bear the load.. etc. So, hoping to get a solid answer from a group of people who are 'wise' with power supplies :)
Thanks !

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
I believe the psu should be able to run without heavy load on graphics when there is every component started demanding power while running heavy games for hours i doubt the zebronics cant withstand. i had one 450 watts which cant even run for 2 days of normal work. So better go for some like corsair. even that 450 watts psu could easily handle yours.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Is my current Zebronics 500w platinum series PSU enough to handle this new (partial) build of mine.

Phenom II x4 840
Asus M4A78LT-M or LE
Corsair 2 GB
MSI/Saphire 1GB 6770HD
2 optical drives
1 or max. 2 SATA drives
Ethernet PCI card
TV Tuner PCI card

With that rig, i would call that PSU as a bomb :hot:

Get a decent PSU like FSP Saga ii 500

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Just bought a year old Corsair TX 650 from a friend for Rs. 3000.. sweet deal IMO..

Next step :-

1. Sell the old CM 500 W Extreme Plus
2. Sell the old Palit GTX 260 Sonic Core 216
3. Get MSI GTX 560 Ti

Bought it from friend who has this config
AMD Phenom II 940 BE @ 3.6 GHz
Cooler Master V8
2x1 WD Hard Drives in RAID 0 config
1 WD 250 GB HDD
2 MSI GTX 560 TwinFrozr in SLI setup
1 Creative X-Fi fatality
1 Sony SATA HDD
NZXT Sentry 2
Cooler Master HAF 922 cabinet
BenQ 3D Monitor (purchased 2 days ago)

He's crazy. He is going after 1 kW PSU now..

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just bought a year old Corsair TX 650 from a friend for Rs. 3000.. sweet deal IMO..

Next step :-

1. Sell the old CM 500 W Extreme Plus
2. Sell the old Palit GTX 260 Sonic Core 216
3. Get MSI GTX 560 Ti

Bought it from friend who has this config
Cooler Master V8
1 WD 250 GB HDD
2 MSI GTX 560 TwinFrozr in SLI setup
1 Creative X-Fi fatality
1 Sony SATA HDD
NZXT Sentry 2
BenQ 3D Monitor (purchased 2 days ago)

He's crazy. He is going after 1 kW PSU now..

congrats ... ;-)

BTW, I think your friend should think about getting some more powerful GPU so that he can put the Corsair HX1000 to some good use ;-)

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Thanks.. Regarding more powerful GPU, forget it.. he just bought two GTX 560s.. he's changing this PSU because there wasn't any power connecter left for HDDs or SSDs & he's crazy.. :)

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Apparently, he wants to go for a 1 kW PSU or more.. which one should he go for? He has currently this config :-

Cooler Master V8
1 WD 250 GB HDD
2 MSI GTX 560 Hawk in SLI setup (not TwinFrozr)
1 Creative Titanium X-Fi (or something like that.. Rs. 6.5k card)
1 Sony SATA ODD
NZXT Sentry 2
BenQ 3D Monitor (purchased this week)

He will add another 2 TB HDD & a SSD within 2-3 months..

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Corsair AX750, HX850 or Seasonic SS-760KM and SS-850KM are within his budget and should suffice for a long time to come.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep - those PSUS's should come under 10k and is sufficient for 2xGTX560Ti's but if he wants to get a modular 1KW PSU - tell him to get Corsair HX1000 around ~14.5k ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
many had suggested the glaciatech AP950 PSu and it's really is a good unit ( acc to the reviews ) but I'm surprised to see no one has bought it so far - is it for availability issue or something else ?

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^Currently it is only available in smc with the lower price and probably local warranty might be an issue. That's why people is just ignoring it. Another point is that it comes with only 2 Yrs of warranty whereas the Corsair units, although inferior in performance as well as in build quality, comes with 5 yrs of warranty with good after sell service in almost every big cities.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Another point is that it comes with only 2 Yrs of warranty whereas the Corsair units, although inferior in performance as well as in build quality, comes with 5 yrs of warranty with good after sell service in almost every big cities.
Hmmm???

Cilus

laborare est orare
Sorcy, it is just a comparative analysis at the same price range. In jonnyguru and Kitguru review the conclusion is that it is even better than the TX950 and most of the time had reached 80+ gold rating during the testing in most of the cases. Also they concluded that it has slightly better build quality too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom