Anti-Bollywood thread

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I loved the 'fun' movies of the 90s which had equal amounts of drama and comedy and wonderful actors. Jo jeeta wahi sikander, DDLJ, Hum hain rahi pyar ke, Ishq , Badshah, Andaz apna apna are my guilty pleasure movies and i can watch them again and again.

However, this spontaneity and fun factor is lacking in today's masala movies. Now there is more emphasis on style and film carries little original comedy and good drama. One example is Rowdy Rathore.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
on facebook, some stupid fanboys start celebrating when a bollywood movie of their favourite actor (SRK, Salman, Ajay Devgan, etc) gets past 100 crore mark.

then i :troll: them by mentioning that this is pocket money for hollywood actors. :p :D

There is no point comparing Bollywood and Hollywood in terms of actors , it will be like comparing a keyboard to a refrigerator , since we are basically talking about Hindi movies here, if Hollywood had made movies which were acted, directed and put forward with the same language and the "scope" of the language for the common mass of India, who idolizes, respects and love Indian Actors irrespective of how the "movie" is made, then it would have been a fair comparison.

3 truck full of people ! came to see "Ek tha Tiger" first day first show, from neighboring districts in my hometown, they only came to see Salman Khan and gave a bat-crap about the movie. I'm not saying that it measures and adds to qualities of Bollywood, but it happens, the further one go down in this thread, the question of the population and people will come forward.

Inceptionist

Journeyman
Its not just the 'frontbench' audience. Many of my educated intelligent friends have this rational fanaticism for Salman 'bhai'. They go gaga over his movies and proudly proclaim how the current Salman movie has broken all box office records worldwide. They justify their love for these movies as nobody entertains better than the bhai.

AHAHAHAHAHA
Pacific Rim grossed $407,602,906 or 25 Billion Rs. approx.
Man of Steel grossed $662,845,518 or 40 Billion Rs. approx.

I haven't even counted movies in the billion dollar box-office club

If 1 Billion Rs. is a record to these guys, they don't know what the F they are talking about.

(PS : Numbers from box office mojo)

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
In terms of moneys earned you cannot compare Hindi Film Industry and Hollywood.
Most Hollywood films have a bigger budget AND are meant to be screened Internationally at a large scale(Here International means all the English speaking white person countries like Australia,NZ,UK,USA,SA etc) therefore they earn bigger moneys
Hindi Film Industry have smaller budget and are meant to be screened only in India,Sure, a Paki might be watching Dabangg 2 on a pirated DVD,But that does not bring any money to us.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
In terms of moneys earned you cannot compare Hindi Film Industry and Hollywood.
Most Hollywood films have a bigger budget AND are meant to be screened Internationally at a large scale(Here International means all the English speaking white person countries like Australia,NZ,UK,USA,SA etc) therefore they earn bigger moneys
Hindi Film Industry have smaller budget and are meant to be screened only in India,Sure, a Paki might be watching Dabangg 2 on a pirated DVD,But that does not bring any money to us.

He mentioned that because of the below statement from srkmish post :

Salman movie has broken all box office records worldwide

Since the word worldwide, he had to put those figures. :D

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, most Indian movies are crap. Our cinema and society in general has failed to evolve. Tak a look at Indian television as well. Still stuck on Saah-Bahu nonsense.

Indian culture is to blame.

But I do think that Indian cinema does come out with a good movie once in a while. And Hollywood also comes out with crap movies. Not all are good.

That's a fair summary imo. No point in hating.

heidi2521

Padawan
I'm not kidding when I say that Indian television makes the acting and sound effects in J-Dramas look good.

Bollywood is built around plagiarism and pandering with no respect for the audiences intelligence. If India has its own Stanley Kubricks and Peter Jacksons, they are stuck there largely unnoticed, under a mountain of ****. The best way for them to gain visibility is through international film festivals that have noting to do with India in particular. Hollywood has many more bad movies than it does good movies, but at least the good movies don't get drowned in a sea of **** and can stand on their own. Indian movie reviews are totally based on the hype, with a few points added or subtracted arbitrarily. We have no equivalent of Siskel and Ebert where they give a detailed critique of the film stating exactly what they liked and what they didn't in detail, each offering a point and counterpoint to one another. The music is overly side chained, completely autotuned or melodyned c-tier trash using presets DAW plugins come with (You have no clue how many times have I noticed NI Massive presets being used in tracks) trying to make each instrument as loud as possible with almost no rests in the music without caring to craft their own aural identity. I have heard Vocaloid tracks that sound more human than some bollywood tracks.

quagmire

Allllright !
Indian culture is to blame.

Why dont you add that in your siggy :mrgreen:

yeah, most Indian movies are crap. Our cinema and society in general has failed to evolve. Tak a look at Indian television as well. Still stuck on Saah-Bahu nonsense.

+1. Indian television is in a even more hopeless shape.

Its high time we get DirecTV equivalents in India. Even inexpensive hardware coupled with MythTV can do wonders. (Agreed MythTV works only with unencrypted channels, just made a point).
I guess its better to create a new thread for the discussion on this..

^+1 to dead5s post.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I love cid :D . The acting/plot is cheesy but there is always an aura of uncertainty as to what will happen next. Loved the aamir khan episode :p

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
i used to watch it once, i mean its been there for 16 years, who would miss it ? but then i grew up and realized that the killer's DNA cant be matched by an X-Ray plate and there is nothing called "Koogle" where Killer's DOB, "Papa ka nam" "Cast" can be found.

$hadow

Geek in making
i used to watch it once, i mean its been there for 16 years, who would miss it ? but then i grew up and realized that the killer's DNA cant be matched by an X-Ray plate and there is nothing called "Koogle" where Killer's DOB, "Papa ka nam" "Cast" can be found.

Hahaha that's a nice one :-D

Top Bottom