AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ Guess who found out about performance of bulldozer? :lol:

On a side note, good time for an upgrade.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Intel will do what they did with Sandy bridge and Gulftown/Westmere EP.:x
First launch the highest performing parts for $999 and in a few months launch a newer processor with almost the same performance for half the price(Sandybridge).
Now it will happen with sandybridge and ivybridge.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's in a nutshell, Intel for you. And within 1.5-2 years, upgrade for the platform would stop. :))

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Nope, intels upgrade path is on par with amd this time around. Both sandybridge ( 1155) and sandybridge-e( 2011) will get future ivybridge support for the respective platforms i.e the panther point supported pocessors are totally backward compatible with cougar point chipsets.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Guess who found out about performance of bulldozer? :lol:

On a side note, good time for an upgrade.

Exactly, when bulldozer launches, intel will quietly unleash a monster. Lets see if amd can bulldoze that! :lol:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Nope, intels upgrade path is on par with amd this time around. Both sandybridge ( 1155) and sandybridge-e( 2011) will get future ivybridge support for the respective platforms i.e the panther point supported pocessors are totally backward compatible with cougar point chipsets.

Let it happen first. ;)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Its already announced and its obvious. Ivybridge is no new architecture and is simply a tick i.e dieshrink. So current 32nm sandybridge and sandybridge-e ( 32nm) will receive the 22nm treatment. Its bound to happen if you see it this way.

Besides ivybridge will also use intels 3d trigate based transistors which is their patented design. It drastically reduces leakage current thus lowering tdp and churns out more performance than a similar set of normal planar transistors used in a chip. The gate design is actually the key here as they control the current flow now.

Check this buddy. Its pretty interesting.:smile:

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ Its already announced and its obvious. Ivybridge is no new architecture and is simply a tick i.e dieshrink. So current 32nm sandybridge and sandybridge-e ( 32nm) will receive the 22nm treatment. Its bound to happen if you see it this way.

Besides ivybridge will also use intels 3d trigate based transistors which is their patented design. It drastically reduces leakage current thus lowering tdp and churns out more performance than a similar set of normal planar transistors used in a chip. The gate design is actually the key here as they control the current flow now.

Check this buddy. Its pretty interesting.:smile:
Ok, I think I need to start allocating the budget again.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ That means ivy will also be delayed. Maybe intel doesn't need sandybridge-e to compete with bulldozer. They think their socket 1155 cpu's are enough for now.

Maybe we can expect some new launches for socket 1155 this year.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Batman, I am not talking about announcements and all. If Bulldozer becomes a failure, I am damn sure Intel would just change 1-2 pins here and there and force the users to migrate to another platform with Ivy. Socket 1156 got a lifespan of just 2 years, and somehow I feel SNB could have debuted at that platform also. Of course, don't throw me some links and tutorial on electronics, I am naive on this, what I am saying is completely from a user's point of view. ;) Just ask a cash strapped 785 owner, who with a BIOS update can upgrade to Bulldozer when it will be released and later can change the mobo to a higher chipset.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Okay no prob, i won't throw any such articles if you insist. But what you are saying is your own personal point of view not reality. Btw 785 chipset owners cannot upgrade to bulldozer with a bios update. They have to go for an 8 or 9series motherboard.

In reality, intel has offcourse announced panther point 7 series (Z77) chipsets for its ivybridge processors. But they had also stated that ivybridge will be completely backward compatible with existing 1155 6 series cougar point chipsets that include h61,h67,p67 & z68 motherboards.

Check this link. Its totally written in an end user's point of view.

This one is directly from techpowerup.

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
^^ That means ivy will also be delayed. Maybe intel doesn't need sandybridge-e to compete with bulldozer. They think their socket 1155 cpu's are enough for now.

Maybe we can expect some new launches for socket 1155 this year.

Ivy Bridge delay news came out a month ago, it's been delayed from Q1 2012 to Q2 2012.

I have a feeling Ivy Bridge will itself thrash Bulldozer, 4 core v/s 4 module.

Sandy Bridge will become 584-999$ enthusiast processor setup.

I too think INTEL should go LGA 2012 and call it a day

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Okay no prob, i won't throw any such articles if you insist. But what you are saying is your own personal point of view not reality. Btw 785 chipset owners cannot upgrade to bulldozer with a bios update. They have to go for an 8 or 9series motherboard.

In reality, intel has offcourse announced panther point 7 series chipsets for its ivybridge processors. But they had also stated that ivybridge will be completely backward compatible with existing 1155 6 series cougar point chipsets that include h61,h67,p67 & z68 motherboards.

Check this link. Its totally written in an end user's point of view.

This one is directly from techpowerup.

No problem in throwing articles buddy, the forum is full of people who will understand it. :) If in reality, Intel makes ivy bridge backward compatible that would be great. And lets hope true >4 core CPUs will be supported.

And regarding the 785 chipset, well not exactly the 785 but the 770 & 760g will support BD. Here's the MSI announcement:-

MSI AM3+ CPU Support

Google Translate

Of course, I do agree this means little but generally AMD supports their platform longer than Intel. And here's one comment from that Techpowerup link you give:-

Not a new Socket ? :eek: now thats a first...

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
let me tell u one thing:
1.This thread is about the amd bulldozer,so discuss on bulldozer only.if u want to fight on intel vs and go make your own thread,DONT SPOIL THIS THREAD.

2.Ivy bridge is for enthusiast platform,come on in India how many ppl are actually gonna buy $.500+ proccy.until intel introduces mainstream ivybridge.

3.In India, mainstream product outside India is high end product (prices),naturally intel proccy gonna be priced higher than amd.

4.Amd is again targetting mainstream user with high performance parts...they just want to make it right first time..remember phenom 1 disaster..though they are targetting high end user but its gonna end up in main stream....a vs sandy bridge 1155 series.
thats why they priced their proccy not more than $.350+

Thats my point of view.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
^^

1. If we are comparing BD with SB-E, I see no reason for you to stop us

2. Ivy Bridge is mainstream, a direct replacement for SB, quad cores for quads, duals for duals, price for price, expect highest end IVY BRIDGE to cost under 320$

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^
discussing amd vs sb-e is one thing and thrashing amd is other,intels gonna kick amd's ass...this that,is more like fighting
and that too on the processors that havent been released or their true potential known.
if intel is reasonable it is surely gonna win....im seeing trend for the last 4~5 years,it hasnt been reasonable as compared to other countries.
they have their R&D setup,get their designs cleared here still they sell costly products in India.
competitive pricing is one thing and monopoly is other.
im not taking side of any other company,but wrong business practice is wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom