AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
So finally some good news, the top-end FX-8130P can be stably OCed to 4.63 GHz at 1.5V. Not a big jump from its base frequency of 3.8 GHz, but still commendable, And here's the Super Pi results:-

*i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/AMD-Bulldozer-Engineering-Sample-CPU-Overclocked-to-4-63GHz-4.png

And here's the i7 2600k result @ 5.7 GHz (taken from Guru3d SuperPI 1M Records thread)

*www.shrani.si/f/23/13J/2cMFgDQr/pi.png

Of course, taking it with a bucketful of salt, but if it comes true... ;)

Source:-
AMD Bulldozer Engineering Sample CPU Overclocked to 4.63GHz - Softpedia

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Not impressive at all, nope, I mean the overclock.

Why? Tubro Core itself goes to 4.2GHz, so, sorry but 4.6GHz is hardly anything.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
One positive thing is that AMD is already clocking it very high, so even those who won't OC can get almost the fullest performance out of this CPU. Personally I would like the manufacturer to clock the CPU at its highest possible level without any intervention from my side. ;)

And what about that Super Pi result?

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
One positive thing is that AMD is already clocking it very high, so even those who won't OC can get almost the fullest performance out of this CPU. Personally I would like the manufacturer to clock the CPU at its highest possible level without any intervention from my side. ;)

But then they will also charge you accordingly. The whole point of overclocking is to get more performance for no extra money in return of some time and risk.

tkin

Back to school!!

Isn't it obvious its a hoax?

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Seems like bulldozer keeps dozing off ;)

I'll take all the benchmarks with a truckload of salt after all you never know if AMD has a surprise up their sleeve ;)

rajan1311

Padawan
Its an ES...generally ES are not good for OCing...so why the fuss? This is the reason BD was postponed, so its kinda expected...

tkin

Back to school!!
Its an ES...generally ES are not good for OCing...so why the fuss? This is the reason BD was postponed, so its kinda expected...
The top pic is false, if ES reaches 4.6GHz how much will normal editions go? 5GHz? Even sandy does not 5GHz without exotic air/water cooling.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Nothing is known till the final day.

oh btw, I have never understood the common use of SuperPi when it uses the now discarded x87 instruction set. Isn't there anything appropriate available?? :confused:

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I am so much missing the AMD on my pc. LAUNCH IT ALREADY!

With the Price Strategy of the two so far I can squeeze in a good GFX for my upgrade as well. :mad:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some more news:-

AMD's Next-Generation Opteron "Bulldozer" Chips to Feature Adjustable TDP - X-bit labs

Will it come to desktops also?

rajan1311

Padawan
The top pic is false, if ES reaches 4.6GHz how much will normal editions go? 5GHz? Even sandy does not 5GHz without exotic air/water cooling.

but then if a processor has a stock speed of 3.8Ghz, maybe, just maybe, it could do 5GHz on air? anyways, SB does reach 4.5GHz+ on a good air cooled setup...lets hope these do better..

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
AMD Bulldozer 4Ghz (ES) Gets Pitted Against Intel Core i7-990X in Various Gaming Benchmarks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ thanks for the link but I'll wait for the benchmark of a final retail product anyway ;-)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
And anyway, we will be able to buy it only after the final retail product hit the stores... ;)

But seriously, why SLI? AMD chipsets have only get the support after the recent nVIDIA driver update and not everything has been ironed out. A CFX setup would have been better.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Sandy Bridge-E Delayed to January 2012: Sources | techPowerUp

Guess what, Sandy Bridge E just got DELAYED.

Top Bottom