AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ max default ram speed support. for current AMD AM3 board it is 1333Mhz. for SB it is 1333Mhz but old I7 9** its 1066Mhz.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
^^ max default ram speed support. for current AMD AM3 board it is 1333Mhz. for SB it is 1333Mhz but old I7 9** its 1066Mhz.

Sorry but not satisfied with ur answer..phenom n athlon r running on am3 even with 1600 frequency of ram..that is why dual channel kits over 1333 are available with supported motherboard na??..n sb proccys might be running over 2000mhz of ram support for sure i guess though haven't experienced it..

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^dude what hes trying to say is previous generation amd proccy had 1333mhz memory controller speed as memory controller is inbuilt the processor now-a-days.
higher speed memory had to be overclocked to run at their prescribed speed from motherboard bios settings.
amd bulldozer will have 1866mhz memory controller in built so that memory with 1866 mhz native speed run but higher than that speed memory will have to be overclocked in mobo bios setting.
*(here overclock means tweaking memory controller speed higher then its prescribed speed)
now u get it.

bhushan2k

ok..now i got it..u need to oc MEMORY CONTROLLER to match the speed of higher speed memory right?? but what about lower memory speed?? ..if m using am3 proccy like phenom on 880 or 890 chipset with 1333 memory supported and if i put bulldozer into same mobo and update bios so that proccy should be worked on am3 board..now bulldozer will have 1866 memory controller..so will that 1333 ram stick work with it?? Or will i able to oc tht memory (AFAIK u cann't oc Memory stick but a controller Or will i need to buy memory with higher frequency like 1866 and onwards..?? Got the question??

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
@bhushan
1. u got it wrong...proccy with current generation have memory controller with speed of 1333mhz supported,any memory higher than that will work on default speed of the controller (1333mhz)....u have to tweak bios setting to set the speed of memory that works on higher speeds.
2.in case of amd bulldozer cpu,they have 1866mhz memory controller inbuilt...that means any memory with speed upto 1866mhz will work without any issues with the proccy.
3. there will be no issue with the motherboard compatibility with the memories coz....memories are tied up with proccessors not north bridge as earlier it use to be.
*Bios update for bulldozer proccy will also include all the compatibility between the processors and the motherboard..so no issues with memories.
I think this will clear your doubt.

bhushan2k

max,
thanks dude..cleared ur bulldozer n motherboard compatiblity wala point..that means memory with lower speed (1333 or 1600) will have no issue with bulldozer (1866)

Now again new stupid question arose here..:-D (extremely sorry for troubling all of u..but need to clear my base)

In ur 1st point u said, proccy with current generation have memory controller with speed of 1333MHz..that means any memory higher than that (like 1600) will run on default speed of the controller (1333) by tweaking bios..that means memory with higher speed (like 1600) than the default speed of controller (1333) won't work at it's actual speed (1600) (assuming here)..so what's the point in buying memory with a speed higher than default speed of controller..??

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
In ur 1st point u said, proccy with current generation have memory controller with speed of 1333MHz..that means any memory higher than that (like 1600) will run on default speed of the controller (1333)

yes. it'll. how fast you use, it'll get clocked down.

by tweaking bios..

for what cause?

that means memory with higher speed (like 1600) than the default speed of controller (1333) won't work at it's actual speed (1600) (assuming here)..so what's the point in buying memory with a speed higher than default speed of controller..??

will work if you are ready to overclock the processor. though you can achieve higher memory clocks simply by tweaking BIOS or retain original speed (if it was 1333Mhz) by lowering memory multiplier/increasing CPU clock multiplier.

Now again new stupid question arose here..:-D (extremely sorry for troubling all of u..but need to clear my base)

after reading you problem, all i can say is your question was indeed stupid. but i hope this was the last from you :smile:

[Softpedia] AMD's FX-Series Bulldozer Processors to Launch on June 7, Rumors Say

The release date of AMD's upcoming desktop Zambezi processors, based on the Bulldozer architecture, has been the target of many debates in the last couple of months and these tend to continue as a recently leaked slide seems to suggest that the first FX-series CPUs will be launched on June 7.

Source

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ It won't come that cheap but won't be expensive as well. Amd is always known for pricing things right. Bulldozer is going to be a performance part this time around and won't be playing the value game.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
a 7k, 4core BD chip against a i5 2300/2400. but its still 3months away. so Intel can very easily do a 50$ pricecut & will go head on with AMD. AMD must offer good on-die graphics. that can run modern demanding games with ease. else, its trouble for AMD again.

if AMD at least can offer i3 2100's performance but the graphics power of HD5570 within 7-7.5k it'll be gameover for the i3's. at least till ivy bridge comes to the rescue.

[Softpedia] AMD to Release More Desktop Bulldozer Processors in October-November

*img.donanimhaber.com//images/haber/26064/AMD_Bulldozer_FX_2011rdmp_dh_fx57.jpg

In early Q4 2011, these first Bulldozer CPUs will be joined by four other Zambezi FX processors and Donanim Haber states that the release will closely resemble the initial launch, since AMD plans to introduce two eight-core, one six-core, and one quad-core processor.

Sadly, no other specifications are available at this time, but these CPUs will most probably feature improved operating frequencies to counter Intel's Sandy Bridge-E chips that are also expected to arrive in Q4 2011.

Source

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
a 7k, 4core BD chip against a i5 2300/2400. but its still 3months away. so Intel can very easily do a 50$ pricecut & will go head on with AMD. AMD must offer good on-die graphics. that can run modern demanding games with ease. else, its trouble for AMD again.

if AMD at least can offer i3 2100's performance but the graphics power of HD5570 within 7-7.5k it'll be gameover for the i3's. at least till ivy bridge comes to the rescue.

Well you are getting confused again buddy.Bulldozer won't have any on-die graphics when launched. The battle will be for ultimate processing power. Llano will have 400 sp's based apu's but will be based on phenom 2 architecture instead of bulldozer. When bulldozer based fusion cpu's will arrive, intel will challenge them with ivybridge which has dx11 graphics, more eu's and multimonitor support.

But i think this on-die graphics won't be a decider because gamers and enthusiasts will always go for a discrete gpu.

The processing and number crunching power is what that matters and surely be a decider.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Well you are getting confused again buddy.Bulldozer won't have any on-die graphics when launched. The battle will be for ultimate processing power. Llano will have 400 sp's based apu's but will be based on phenom 2 architecture instead of bulldozer. When bulldozer based fusion cpu's will arrive, intel will challenge them with ivybridge which has dx11 graphics, more eu's and multimonitor support.

yup. i meant it for the llano parts that will be launched in 3 months time :oops:

But i think this on-die graphics won't be a decider because gamers and enthusiasts will always go for a discrete gpu.

won't there be any entrylevel bulldozer based proccy with on-die graphics? its simply like replacing the Phenom-II die with a Bulldozer die keeping the mGPU intact.

The processing and number crunching power is what that matters and surely be a decider.

we gonna have a busy year ahead i feel.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
won't there be any entrylevel bulldozer based proccy with on-die graphics? its simply like replacing the Phenom-II die with a Bulldozer die keeping the mGPU intact.
Next year. Currently, Bulldozer is on-board graphics.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yes, next year, bulldozer will have fusion apu's. But that won't matter because as i said earlier, discrete graphics will still rule the hearts of multimedia enthusiasts. Pure number crunching performance is all that matters and bulldozer won't dissapoint i hope.

Top Bottom