AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

ajai5777

Youngling
When I bought my 785G board, I boasted to my friends (who use intel) that AMD wont change sockets regularly so that it can even support future processors.But it looks like its ended with phenom II X6.

Will I be able to put a BD in it ? or else its going to be a Phenom II X6.

kamal_saran

android lover
hey guys found this while surfing . It says that asus will give bios update to some of it's current mobo's to be compatible with am3+ processors
*techpowerup.com/img/11-03-15/92a.jpg

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
hey guys found this while surfing . It says that asus will give bios update to some of it's current mobo's to be compatible with am3+ processors
*techpowerup.com/img/11-03-15/92a.jpg
See, again the point is - Asus is bringing out revised motherboards with AM3+ socket and offering BIOS updates for older versions with AM3 socket.

But to plug in Bulldozer in AM3 socket, you'll have to take care of that extra processor pin.

a common example is no ACC on 8series chipsets. but manufacturers released their own core unlockers. if 8series supports Llano (wish 78X & 79X too) it'll shut the mouth of critics for good & hopefully for a long time.
Unlikely imho. Llano will be using a new socket named FM1 as it would need extra pin contacts for the built-in GPU.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
Why asus is not mentioning about that extra pin socket?? If they would have mentioned about pin socket, the things could have been more specific till now..

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Bulldozer/AM3+ will have one extra pin. So, if you want to use Bulldozer in your present AM3 motherboard, it *might* work after you remove the pin. But consider it unsupported. And motherboard manufacturers will have to release BIOS updates too.

See, if that pin is a "dead pin" in AM3+ processors which AMD has included only to differentiate from AM3, then AM3+ processors might work in AM3.

WTH. remove a pin from a new processor? thats too much. some may try it out but considering the risk, its not worth it. never will be.

^ How come not supporting is awesome for all of us? Or am i missing something?

he mean the otherway round. awesome if it supports. read again.

better they mail a plier to remove that pin.

Why asus is not mentioning about that extra pin socket?? If they would have mentioned about pin socket, the things could have been more specific till now..

they'll. before launch. 3 months left till June. so, theres time.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
WTH. remove a pin from a new processor? thats too much. some may try it out but considering the risk, its not worth it. never will be.
well, AM2+ processors had two less pins than AM3 processors. Tom's hardware tried breaking two pins and plugging the AM2+ processor in an AM3 board. As expected, it didn't work in the AM3 board. (lack of DDR3 controller)

But still, it worked fine without those pins in the AM2+ board just like it should.

ajai5777

Youngling
Old 7xx series isnt supported, they will launch new 7xx series with AM3+ support.If there are no BD's for old 7xx series, I wont suggest an AMD to anyone.If they are switching sockets like this, there is no nood to go for under performing AMD's :x

Actually AMD's were never better than Intel, Their price to performance ratio and socket compatibility were the advantages, and the later is already gone.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Old 7xx series isnt supported, they will launch new 7xx series with AM3+ support.If there are no BD's for old 7xx series, I wont suggest an AMD to anyone.If they are switching sockets like this, there is no nood to go for under performing AMD's :x
They have been giving you an upgrade path since 3 generations. It is completely fair if they have to change their socket to compete with Intel.

And yes, I still expect Bulldozer to work if you break that pin and your motherboard manufacturer offers you a BIOS upgrade. ;) Atleast they have still given you an upgrade path. Get a new AM3+ motherboard this summer (your Phenom/Athlon will work) and get Bulldozer after one year. You still have an upgrade path.

Actually AMD's were never better than Intel, Their price to performance ratio and socket compatibility were the advantages, and the later is already gone.
Forgotten about Athlon XP and 64?

ajai5777

Youngling
I upgraded from GF615M P33 to 785G.There is no way I am changing my motherboard soon.If there is no BD for my board, I'll be satisfied with 1090T later.

by the way, found a different thing here

To support its claims, AMD has always pointed at the different pin layouts of the two sockets, as AM3+ has one extra pin that makes inserting Bulldozer/Zambezi CPUs in AM3 motherboards impossible.

However, sources cited by the Sweclcokers website claim that the extra pin available on the socket isn't present on Zambezi processors, so the pin layout is identical to that of an ordinary AM3 CPU.

As a result, these can be installed inside regular AM3 boards and all that is required is a BIOS update so that the new processors will be recognized by the board.

From Asus' entire lineup of AM3 motherboards, the company said that only six models are compatible with AMD's upcoming processors, including the company's high-end Crosshair IV Formula and Crosshair IV models.

According to the same website, the limitation could be imposed by the fact that AM3+ CPUs place a higher power demand on the board than their AM3 counterparts.

Source

If its true, no need to remove the extra pin and I wont mind trying 3rd party BIOS update if its not officially supported ;-)

sparx

TechFanatic
Wish AMD makes up for the disadvantage of upgrade path on current generation motherboards with good performance that can take on sandy bridge

[Phoronix] AMD Bulldozer Dual-Interlagos Benchmarks On Linux

Lately we have been talking a lot about Intel's latest Sandy Bridge processors under Linux due to their very competitive performance and interesting graphics abilities, but on the AMD side there has not been too much to talk about. On the low-end there is the intriguing Fusion APUs, but on the high-end they don't have an answer to Sandy Bridge until delivering their new "Bulldozer" products closer to the summer. Fortunately, we have the first Linux scoop and performance benchmarks from engineering samples of their 16-core Interlagos server chip.

Source

They have a link where you can dynamically compare. They said though the 8-core Xeon's are better in some tests.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
They have a link where you can dynamically compare. They said though the 8-core Xeon's are better in some tests.
8-core Xeons _will_ be better. But Bulldozer gives you potent 8 cores in approximately 50% less die space compared to Xeon. And with the same die-size of Xeon, Bulldozer will give you 16-cores. That's the whole point of this architecture. :)

What AMD will be doing is, pitting their 4 modules against Intel's 4 cores i.e. 8 cores vs 4 cores from the price point of view.

mohiuddin

Journeyman
^yea, thats the main advantage.and don't forget aggressive core clock setting mechanism. It will help for less threaded applications.

Top Bottom