AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
what about the socket of next year on-die gfx bulldozer?? Will am3+ (including bios update for current am3) still remain or will it be replaced by am4?

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Am3+ is a bridge socket which is designed to support the future AMD processors like Bulldozer while retaining backward compatibility with the current AM3 processors and it is officially confirmed by AMD.

However, whether current AM3 motherboards will support Future AMD processors is splely dependent upon the motherboard manufacturer. Asus and Gigabyte have confirmed that after a BIOS update their motherboards are gonna support Bulldozer processors. But this is yet to be confirmed by other manufacturers like MSI, Biostar or ECS.

Last edited:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
AMD released info that with 33% more cores (X6's 6 to BD's 8) they achieved a total performance increase of about 50% or about 10-15% more speed compared to current X6's at the same clock.

IMO BD will at best be able to compare with Intel, but it is far from beating it, especially in single threaded apps. But even with multicore apps, at best they will be able to tie or win by an unnoticeable margin. :p

akrr

Right off the assembly line
whatever AMD achieves in BULLDOZER beating or going near to sandybridge , one thing is sure , their CPUs will always best bang for the bucks

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
whatever AMD achieves in BULLDOZER beating or going near to sandybridge , one thing is sure , their CPUs will always best bang for the bucks

can't say for sure. if AMD is able to beat Intel (highly unlikely) then they'll surely price their highend chips at ridiculously high price like 60-70k.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ winner always makes the decision ;-)

BTW, I think we going to see some real tough copetetion in cpu market on the upcomiung months and at the end of trhe day we will benifit from this and have more processing power than ever in desktop pcs.

[Softpedia] AMD 900-Series Chipset Required for Bulldozer Power Gating Technology

AMD's upcoming 900-series motherboard chipsets, that the company plans to launch together with its Zamabezi FX processors based on the Bulldozer architecture, will feature an improved power management technology which should decrease the energy consumption of AMD's future CPUs.

Source

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD is again proving their excellent support for the existing customers. ASUS and Gigabyte has already announced their AM3 mobos is gonna support Bulldozer. Today I've found out that with a BIOS update, my mobo is also gonna support AM3+ processors.

rajan1311

Padawan
i dont get it, how will you get the extra pin with the BIOS update lol...

AFAIK, newer revisions have the new socket,will support AM3+....??

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD has officially announced that their Zambezi will retain compatibility with AM3 socket. Check the Wikipedia link. ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI have already confirmed that their 8XX series mobos are gonna support AM3+ CPUs. Check their sites also.
I've downloaded the latest BIOS V1.40 which enables compatibility of AM3+ processors in my 890GXM-G65. Obviously they will not support the full feature set of AM3+ processors.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually you will still have to mess around with that extra pin in AM3+ CPUs to make them fit in the AM3 socket.

That pin is actually nothing more than a compatibility pin perhaps, not related to the circuit.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^AMD has neither denied nor accepted the compatibility issue with the am3+ procesors and 8xx series chipset.
Its just the chipset manufacturers are boasting compatibility from thier side,they have just released am3+ socket 8xx series motherboards. ASUS,GIGABYTE,ASROCK these are the companies that will release shortly 8xx series am3+ socket motherboard.
MSI is still relying on bios update(IMO it will not help in case of am3 socket boards.)
you still need to take care of the 1 extra pin...it might be related to the circuitry such as temp sensor,power management,memory controller etc.
Its still risky to run am3+ proccy on the am3 motherboard.
Its fine if the 8xx series motherboard has a am3+ socket to support zambezi.
Doing R & D on the costly proccy is not a good thing to do
We have to still wait for AMD for the conformation about am3 mobo and am3+ proccy compatibility.

rajan1311

Padawan
AMD has officially announced that their Zambezi will retain compatibility with AM3 socket. Check the Wikipedia link. ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI have already confirmed that their 8XX series mobos are gonna support AM3+ CPUs. Check their sites also.
I've downloaded the latest BIOS V1.40 which enables compatibility of AM3+ processors in my 890GXM-G65. Obviously they will not support the full feature set of AM3+ processors.

guess so....lets wait and see.. :)

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
can we expect some AM3+ chips with 1 less pin which can readily be used with both AM3 as well as AM3+ boards?
Beats the point of having a new socket. AM3 chips (Phenom II) can be used in both AM3 and AM3+ motherboards.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Beats the point of having a new socket. AM3 chips (Phenom II) can be used in both AM3 and AM3+ motherboards.

2nd part i know but yes. i better stop banging my head on these AM3+ chips. waiting for an official announcement.

Top Bottom