Will Nokia suvive the downfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Let me try and get it back on track.
1. Has the move to Windows Phone helped Nokia.?
Yes. I think it has given a new life. Completely different platform and its quite unlike we have seen. In future updates Nokia imo should remove barriers like no bluetooth ftp. Sure in USA people might not need it but people here will rather not buy a phone without it.

2. Provide good support and updates for phone. Apple is still churning out updates for the Apple iPhone 3gs. Stating this as some recent reports that the Lumias will not be getting Apollo update. If this happens Nokia is doomed. People will think they will never be able to get updates.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^ he hasnt used droid :D

Android is geeky, not cool. Ios is cool and WP7 is the hipster right now.

Its the feel he is talking about. I have used a few of my friends phones ranging from the almighty S2 to to a normal DUOS and a lot in between. I havent really used the apps all that much, so cant comment, but when I held the phones in my hand and used for a little while, the N8 felt more worthy of gandhis than even the S2. This is just me, you can form your own opinion, but I dont really care what runs underneath as long as it feels good to use. It did everything I could think of a phone needing to do, and on top of it took great snaps. And not to mention costing like one-thirds less.

Reminds me of a comic i read somewhere "My opinion of movies is not my own"
Seems the case here too. Somebody said something is not good, and the next thing you know everyone is saying the same.

Somewhere along the line, i fear these big companies are losing out on what a phone is supposed to do. Call and text. All the extra features and gaming are all good, but I still cant think of anything better than a qwerty keypad for a feature. Nokia has always been the odd one out, And so I hope their ship doesnt sink, even though I think they are ripping poor people with their pricing strategy, just like Apple.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^
Weird.
I read somewhere recently that Nokia get as much as ~50% profit (not including the fees paid to MS) from the sale of Lumia 800.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
^ he hasnt used droid :D

I have used many OS's out there, be it Android, W7.5 Mango, Windows, Meego, Bada, Symbian, Belle, iOS etc. And honestly the best one is iOS. Belle is a good OS, only apps-freak will complain.

Android is geeky, not cool. Ios is cool and WP7 is the hipster right now.

Its the feel he is talking about. I have used a few of my friends phones ranging from the almighty S2 to to a normal DUOS and a lot in between. I havent really used the apps all that much, so cant comment, but when I held the phones in my hand and used for a little while, the N8 felt more worthy of gandhis than even the S2. This is just me, you can form your own opinion, but I dont really care what runs underneath as long as it feels good to use. It did everything I could think of a phone needing to do, and on top of it took great snaps. And not to mention costing like one-thirds less.

Reminds me of a comic i read somewhere "My opinion of movies is not my own"
Seems the case here too. Somebody said something is not good, and the next thing you know everyone is saying the same.

Somewhere along the line, i fear these big companies are losing out on what a phone is supposed to do. Call and text. All the extra features and gaming are all good, but I still cant think of anything better than a qwerty keypad for a feature. Nokia has always been the odd one out, And so I hope their ship doesnt sink, even though I think they are ripping poor people with their pricing strategy, just like Apple.

I agree to you eBro, Nokia's hardy feel is pretty awesome, apart from the feel I am interested on the 41MP (38MP effective) camera sensor, CD quality audio recording, amazing low-light video quality, etc. Nokia has been doing truely remarkable in imaging section, with 808 it has taken a quantum leap. The 808 is not supposed to cost a lost too.. The sample photos were amazing if anyone has viewed them, and it will get better as the technology is still in development. The details were amazing, I never imagined it could be that good. Overall 808 is a great phone, so was N8.

Krow

Crowman
I have used the Pureview at a Nokia workshop. The picture quality is simply stunning. Even though the phone is heavy, it is worth it for its awesome camera alone.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
14 Yr Empire Ultimately Crumbled.
Samsung just reported a fantastic Q1, but the company didn't breathe a word about what could be its most outstanding achievement yet: according to research firm Strategy Analytics, the company just passed Nokia as the world's largest phone maker, at least in terms of shipments. Samsung shipped an estimated 93.5 million handsets this quarter, the firm reported, including 44.5 million smartphones, while Nokia apparently shipped 82.7 million phones. Strategy Analytics says that Nokia had been the market leader for shipments since 1998, when it displaced Motorola as the lead. Now, South Korea-based Samsung is standing tall, and if the figures are correct, Apple and Samsung combined make half of all smartphones shipped around the world.
Source:The Verge.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
^^The Top Position Is Lost!What else.
Ofcourse its no sign of complete downfall but now all we can do is to watch How nokia Fights back to Regain its Throne.

Saahib

Cyborg Agent
If Nokia is going with WP7 and Microsoft, it will definitely see downfall unless MS decides to change policy for their WP7 development.

MS think they can create another iOS and the revolution of iOS .. (and thats not possible)

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Yes ... ios is COOL and android is not ... bleh. When it comes to the numbers android is beating the crap out of every other OS. Thats the fact. Even a Lamborghini is cool But tata makes more money on indica than Lamborghini makes in 4 years.... so i guess there goes the question of affordability lol

Sujeet

Undead!!!
If Nokia is going with WP7 and Microsoft, it will definitely see downfall unless MS decides to change policy for their WP7 development.

MS think they can create another iOS and the revolution of iOS .. (and thats not possible)

IMO there is nothing wrong if MS thinks so and more importantly to judge something impossible in field like OS Share will be unfair to say least.

Yes ... ios is COOL and android is not ... bleh. When it comes to the numbers android is beating the crap out of every other OS. Thats the fact. Even a Lamborghini is cool But tata makes more money on indica than Lamborghini makes in 4 years.... so i guess there goes the question of affordability lol

Ios has quality apps which is more important than quantity(which happens to be the USP of Android).
BTW App are equally affordable on IOS as that on Android.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
M$ need to check what the buyers want. just making world's best looking UI won't keep the OS alive in the iOS vs Android vs WP war. First WP has to capture market share. At the rate WP is gaining popularity, by the time it touches 5% the next iPhone will arrive and M$ will be back in the drawing board.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
M$ need to check what the buyers want. just making world's best looking UI won't keep the OS alive in the iOS vs Android vs WP war. First WP has to capture market share. At the rate WP is gaining popularity, by the time it touches 5% the next iPhone will arrive and M$ will be back in the drawing board.

Also they need to increase the number oh phones available in ranges. a reason for success of android is not only because of high end phones but also mid range and entry level phones. Android is a light operating system whereas iphone and windows os both require good processing power to operate.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
^^Low Budget WP??Correct.All we can think of in terms of a affordable WP is Omnia W or Lumia 710 with some compeition from HTC.There isnt large range of WP phones availble covering all budget range and scales.
Nokia Lumia 610.??Still i think it will be around 12.5 k, unlike cheapest android phone starting from as slow as 6k or so.

Sarath

iDota
^^The Top Position Is Lost!What else.
Ofcourse its no sign of complete downfall but now all we can do is to watch How nokia Fights back to Regain its Throne.

No one can stop Samsung. They have got the best screen and the best hardware. Even their own crappy designs can't stop their sales :p

Nokia might not be a dominant player now but it surely won't die out. I am more worried about the fate of BB which is surviving on enterprise dealing for now.

Such things happen. It's like the rise and fall of trends. I think we are getting too paranoid. We have a new leader. Soon someone else might take the cake from Samsung.

- Nokia was more worried about the Chinese phones eating into their profits. :)

But I do believe Nokia should make phones on both Android and WP7, which they have already written of. But hope.....is hope :|

d3p

PowerHouse
Android is a light operating system whereas iphone and windows os both require good processing power to operate.

Lol :rofl:

Andriod is not lightweight OS BTW, thats why every body out here got dual cores & tons of ram to run it smooth. Otherwise everything would have been a Slideshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom