Will Nokia suvive the downfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling N9 crap is a bit too much.

Yeah the rumors do say the s3 will have that face-recognitionish kind of feature. Its nice, but you have to admit they do lack a sense for design. Look at the touch-wiz for example - amongst the more boring-looking interfaces out there in the android world.

And siri is a cool feature. Yep, note the word feature. its pretty useful too but i'd call them a different kind of creativity.

And look at the handset design itself. Nearly all look the same. No real creativity there.

Now look at what meego got into this world. Remember the flick way of closing an app? Still the most natural feeling method by a mile. Also remember haptic feedback? that little vibration you feel when you press a soft key? Does wonders for the user experience.

I'm not saying samsung is bad or nokia is great, but definitely, IMO, when it comes to creativity only apple can be talked about in the same breath as nokia.

N9 is a great device. But before it was released its death clock started I feel pity on nokia that they ditched such an OS. Never called N9 a crap

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Its been a long journey for nokia , which was once a company which made paper based products in finland to the worlds no 1 cell phone manufacturer. In fact after nearly 4 decades after the cell phone was invented by motorola , it was not able to maintain the position and lost out to other companies. The point i am trying to make is that nokia which was until recently a pioneer in mobile phone systems has definitely lost market share due to dominance and the rising popularity of the iphone and the android phones. When nokia partnered with microsoft to release phones based on the windows operating system, they did not carefully evaluate the position of the market, and what the general trend of the business was. Microsoft has always tried to rip-off its customers by charging nearly 2x the amount for its products, which it can do with quite less. Nokia on the other hand did not estimate the problems that the windows mobile platform would face. Also it may be noted that the windows mobile platform was launched keeping in view that it would soon gain popularity and become almost as popular as the ios / android platform. But too little was done and too late. it may be the same reason that companies like blackberry which made the playbook failed.

Nokia should have realized the threat from android as soon as it was declared open source and free to use. Ending of the monopoly on the operating systems, instead nokia went on and decided to push symbian os development. Nokia should have pulled the plug on its proprietary systems because they are redundant on new technology.

Nokia may still make symbian phones , but if they dont change their course in the next 6 months or so, the company will eventually die. It is only because of the ego of the firms that such companies end up dead because they are not able to realise the threat and they are not able to keep up with the trends.

This is the hard fact. Whatever one may say. Nokia IS going DOWN.

This comment will attract a lot of unwanted attention from all the nokia fanboys and even some negative comments, but before you make any such post i would want you to think and try to see the difference in a symbian operating system and a android.

One should keep in mind that there are 2 parts to any machine.

1. it helps us live our lives in a better way
2. it creates a use of some unknown activity.

What i am trying to say is that. consider a phone. The primary feature of a phone is communication. or more bluntly it can be defined as talking to each other over a wireless / wired network. However once phones released also started offering ability to carry music, people started listening to music on their phones and so on. So when you think carefully you will realise that there are many applications which the machines allow us to perform and then we do them, slowly over a period of time they get integrated into our life cycle.

basically what i am trying to say is that if phones which had the ability to carry music were not developed then today we would not feel the need to carry our music everywhere we go.

Hence these necessities are much more importantly driven by the people.

When a car company like Jaguar decided to create a car, they were building the car to their specifications what they thought should be an ideal car. Only later they realised that it is the public buying their car. The same thing has happened with nokia. Nokia till some time was designing phones which we were finding very comfortable to use, but since android came / ios came , it added a whole new level of customisation it changed the definition of a phone. The mistake nokia has commited is that they are designing phones for themselves rather that design products which the common people like me and you want to use.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Reports: No Windows Phone 8 "Apollo" Upgrade for Nokia Lumia 900?. LOL. Nokia dies again. I already said that there is extremely slim chance that current Mango mobile will get Apollo. If Lumia 900 (best selling WP7.5 @ US) doesn't get Apollo update, Nokia will have its right hand cut off.

funskar

Padawan
Ex-microsoft chairman Stephen Elop killed Nokia..
Feeling pity for such a great Brand..
Hope to see Nokia going Bankrupt like Kodak:shock:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Reports: No Windows Phone 8 "Apollo" Upgrade for Nokia Lumia 900?. LOL. Nokia dies again. I already said that there is extremely slim chance that current Mango mobile will get Apollo. If Lumia 900 (best selling WP7.5 @ US) doesn't get Apollo update, Nokia will have its right hand cut off.

seems they dug their own grave. They are trying to do a Apple by not giving Siri for older phones. Obviously Apple donot hold back whole operating system. So many people spent money on a new platform and if this does happen they are doomed.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Nokia Credit Rating Cut to "Junk" Status by Fitch. Nokia is certainly going through a hard time and one reason we are not seeing a lot of Lumias is that Apollo may drop support for single core processors completely. This will leave a huge number of Nokia users in the back age and as there are no custom rom (correct me here) for WP7 so one using WP7/7.5 will have to stick to 7.5 his whole life.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Sam, There have been custom ROM's for Samsung Focus, Omnia & HTC HD7. Can't say about Lumia.

Focus & Omnia , Omnia, HD7.

OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
things change quite fast in technology world, Nokia was comfortable in 2008. four laters, they are facing prospect of losses and may become target for some tech giant in future.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Sam, There have been custom ROM's for Samsung Focus, Omnia & HTC HD7. Can't say about Lumia.

Focus & Omnia , Omnia, HD7.

ah, too lazy to google ;)

but this only partially solves the problem even for the ones ready to take risk. without sources how can you make WP8 work on WP7.5 device and i have read that WP8 will be based on Windows8. Now if it'll be stripped down or whatever they use, this may end up making WP8 completely incompatible with WP7 devices and most likely they'll get some maintenance update.

So, Nokia's situation is. If Tango doesn't work or at least fixes all WP problems, Nokia may very likely get kicked off US again (last time it was the Symbian era vs Blackberry). And that will cut Nokia's share by an extremely huge margin.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
ah, too lazy to google ;)

but this only partially solves the problem even for the ones ready to take risk. without sources how can you make WP8 work on WP7.5 device and i have read that WP8 will be based on Windows8. Now if it'll be stripped down or whatever they use, this may end up making WP8 completely incompatible with WP7 devices and most likely they'll get some maintenance update.

So, Nokia's situation is. If Tango doesn't work or at least fixes all WP problems, Nokia may very likely get kicked off US again (last time it was the Symbian era vs Blackberry). And that will cut Nokia's share by an extremely huge margin.

Problem is binding hardware integration along with the platform.

Also, M$ as always, is limiting minimum specs for all windows based devices, absurdly differently for each update. Like diff for w7, w8 and on. This is just pushing backward incompatibility. May be they're trying to copy apple. Nokia is paying for the sins done by M$. I just wish Nokia realises this soon.

OT: Nokia should consider opening a R&D centre in one of its biggest market (India), may in 1-2 yrs, we can build a good enough OS. Just my view.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
things change quite fast in technology world, Nokia was comfortable in 2008. four laters, they are facing prospect of losses and may become target for some tech giant in future.

Yes things do change quite fast, and when they go downhill that happens at the fastest RATE so i guess nokia's time for workaround is over. Its practically in the drain in the upper market segment. The only way it can survive this is it if it offers fantastic phones in the lower and middle price mobile segment. And i mean if they really offer amazing phones they can workaround wonders in this segment thank to poor countries like india.

Should nokia stick to the basics and try to go the android way on the expensive models it will be able to come back by say 5~10 years time. :-D

OFF TOPIC :

I fail to understand android being open source why did nokia not push for the development of linux based os systems? as far as i know the nokia N9 uses an os which was based on linux and pretty much something like a android only. If they could refine to bloatware to something simple and elegant like android i guess nokia would have a winner without having to contribute much in R and D

OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
Yes things do change quite fast, and when they go downhill that happens at the fastest RATE so i guess nokia's time for workaround is over. Its practically in the drain in the upper market segment. The only way it can survive this is it if it offers fantastic phones in the lower and middle price mobile segment. And i mean if they really offer amazing phones they can workaround wonders in this segment thank to poor countries like india.
Besides struggling in western markets in high-end smartphone segment , Nokia was hurt most recently by invasion of Android Army in India & China in mid-market segments. phones like galaxy y, optimus one have managed to choke Nokia in mid-price segment.

lower price segment there are Indian companies which gave Nokia a run for their money. Even though Nokia could gain back the market share , they would be struggling with margins trying to compete with number of players.

may be Nokias downfall began when micromax & indian cos came out of no where to capture low-end market with things like high capacity battery & dual sim phones. thats was probably first time when Indians were impressed with phones other than Nokia.

like the rebels, barbarians who slowly but surely bought roman empire to its knees, these number of indian phone makers slowly eating nokias market share & strangling it in low-end segment.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
OFF TOPIC :

I fail to understand android being open source why did nokia not push for the development of linux based os systems? as far as i know the nokia N9 uses an os which was based on linux and pretty much something like a android only. If they could refine to bloatware to something simple and elegant like android i guess nokia would have a winner without having to contribute much in R and D

2 problems with Android: you have the code, compile it, design it, bloat it and then test it. this is a long process for Nokia.

secondly M$ gave Nokia more than a billion to adopt WP7. Whereas other manufacturers are spending money on licenses, Nokia received money to adopt it. So why turn down? Also market is flooded with Androids, so they did the right thing according to me. Just that Android was already way too ahead in the OS race and Nokia priced Lumia's ridiculously high (current price should have been launch price). Sad that a piece of craft, Nokia Lumia 800/900 can't get Android love. Peoples will pay more than S2 even if they pack outdated H/W.

thats was probably first time when Indians were impressed with phones other than Nokia.

this.

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
Nokia will make a comeback for sure.
Eventually people will get sick and tired of the hype around Android.

Yes, but only in our dreams :twisted:
I dreamed yesterday that Nokia is suing Apple because idea for non expandable memory was copied from Nokia N91. Nokia then sued Google because their OS Android was copied from Symbian S60. They then turned their focus on Samsung, suing them for using Micro SD cards in their phones. Before they could sue Motorola, I was woken up to the alarm tone, and I told myself 'dude, nice dream, we are getting late for office'

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
2 problems with Android: you have the code, compile it, design it, bloat it and then test it. this is a long process for Nokia.

secondly M$ gave Nokia more than a billion to adopt WP7. Whereas other manufacturers are spending money on licenses, Nokia received money to adopt it. So why turn down? Also market is flooded with Androids, so they did the right thing according to me. Just that Android was already way too ahead in the OS race and Nokia priced Lumia's ridiculously high (current price should have been launch price). Sad that a piece of craft, Nokia Lumia 800/900 can't get Android love. Peoples will pay more than S2 even if they pack outdated H/W.

this.

but i guess even if the price was right the profit margins would be so low that nokia which must have spent some money developing the phones would not be able to recover it so there you go double whammy ! plus nokia even if they received 1 billion dollars + they are ruining their reputation ... atleast according to me soon other companies will eat into the mid segment and lower segment and then only top end remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom